NFL - SUPERBOWL

Have little or no interest in American Football. But watching the Pens v Rangers hockey on Sunday afternoon...apparently the Pens and the Steelers always support eachother and show highlights of eachothers games on their screens etc. There were a lot of 'terrible towels' being swung as well at the game...perhaps someone can englighten me as to their significance, but from what I could gather they did bear some relation to the Steelers game in the evening. Marc-Andre Fleury also donned a Steelers helmet after his shut-out in support of the team...so if MAF wants them to win, then I do too. :grin:

At least someone in Pittsburgh could win something this year. Sigh...

Basically, its a yellow towel that Steelers fans wave at games to show support. You see the crowd all waving these and it looks pretty good. Its probably a similar thing to when you see all the Liverpool fans on the Kop, when they have all the flags and scarves out, basically an American Football version of that.

04_NYJ2_Fans95_49853.jpg

There is a full wiki article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrible_Towel

I think a lot of cities in America with multiple sports teams have fans who support all the teams. I know last year when the Giants beat Dallas in the playoffs, they had a break during play of a New York Knicks game to show the closing stages of the game.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact Steelers fans support the Penguins (not being enough of a fan of NHL is that right) is like Man U, Man City, Oldham etc. fans supporting Lancs at Cricket. Two different sports means the rivalry for one sport goes out of the window. Most US cities only have one team in each of the major US sports (NY discounted) so I can see Steelers fans supporting the Penguins supporting the Pirates (MLB) etc. In NY or areas where they have two teams in one sport, but obviously only one in another I don't know if the correlation occurs. For example do Giants fans support the Rangers, support the Mets, support the Knicks or does your support of one team not matter who you support in another sport.

The terrible towel thing always looks great on TV and I think could be transferred to the UK, Oldham could do it as they don't look that expensive and if they gave them away for free at a midweek game then more people might turn up who otherwise wouldn't. Latics fans could then have their own thing and it could well be a sight at away (and home) games. Plus if they were cheap enough and popular enough, if people lost one they could buy another.

If the Steelers can stop big Larry then they will win easily (sorry OS). If not then this could be a very good game but I think the Steelers will still win but by only 4-5 points. Am I right in thinking it will be on the Beeb again this year, as although they have that idiot Humphrey presenting it they usually have good coverage (and it is usually online).

It is indeed on BBC1 again this year.

It enables people to watch it on Sky and flick over in the adverts to find out what a fumble is.

• 2 weeks later...
Right there...American Football shows up "English" Football...

We need technology in Soccer...

Definately, took them forever to review it though! That Campbell for Arizona would have been crucified for that fall if he played for latics, woeful!

Definately, took them forever to review it though! That Campbell for Arizona would have been crucified for that fall if he played for latics, woeful!

Lampard sent off today for :censored: all... Ruined the game and eventually handed it to Liverpool... Something needs to change...

I quite like the idea of giving "challenges" to managers....