Davies

I rate Davies very highly. Not happy that he's gone. Omerod has none nothing to impress me at all. Loaning him to one of our promotion rivals is very disapointing; if he had to go anywhere, then League two would have been a better option IMO.

As for talks about fees, we would surely expect at least the fee we paid for him (£85K) plus some on top. Would be very disapointed to see him go for less than £100K.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only think we must have someone arriving in !

It just shows that O Grady is more in Shez's mind than Davies ,

I think it must be more than football issues, when he scored the hat trick in the reserves i saw Shez shout at him, clearly something wrong, maybe he kicked Smalleys dog?

This seems a very silly decision. I don't rate Ormerod from what I have seen of him Wolfenden isn't good enough, Hughes is on a drought and likely to get injured again, Lewis is still inexperienced.

I know that Davies got sent off once (he isn't a serial headbutter Jay) and that he can be frustrating, but I'd rather have him as an option than let Stockport have him as an option.

Also, as far as the 24 hour recall clause goes - I would have equally thought that Latics would have insisted on a clause that stopped Ricketts playing for Walsall against us at home while we were still paying his wages. I suppose the moral of that story is "don't judge others by your own standards" as we would have all insisted on that clause, but I seriously doubt they did.

I know that Davies got sent off once (he isn't a serial headbutter Jay) and that he can be frustrating, but I'd rather have him as an option than let Stockport have him as an option.

Wasn't he banned from international football for exactly the same reason?

(Well, maybe not exactly. Maybe the ref didn't actually have hold of him on that occasion)

I know that Davies got sent off once (he isn't a serial headbutter Jay)

No, but he's a serial fouler (just have a look at his stats Rick). He's brought nothing to the table for me (this season) and I'd back someone like Ormerod to come good far more than I'd back Davies right now.

*cough*

I can actually see this one being very true. It makes sense. Would nyone here be bothered if he went out on loan to a Hereford, orient, or Yeovil... or even someone like stockport?

If he goes there, gets games and scores goals I would welcome him back with open arms.... at the moment i'd even put him down as our 5th choce striker (behind Smalley and wolfy) and that is even with O'Grady out on loan.... so what is the point in having him here???

:wink:

I'd love to know hopw a player who has contributed ball-all to the season so far will be missed... If he goes to stockport and scores goals then great stuff... your place in the team is currently being kept warm by someone who isnt a frigging moron...

More likely he will get sent off tomorrow and that will be him back at latics...

Mental. We love him.

Ahhh.... nothing like this time of the season to see a striker who you have had high hopes for go utterly tis up.... good'ol latics...

i can only assume we have something lined up for someone coming in.

stockport must be paying all his wages for the few months because if we are thats just stupid.

if they are that may clear the boards alittle bit to pay for someone decent till january.

i dont mind him going out on loan to get confidence, but as someone has already stated , stockport could be a rival.

windass bid reserected maybe (i know its just gossip)

Has the abilty and with his pace he should start scoring again before too long. Mixed feelings really with this one, cos after a good season last time I was hoping Craig would kick on, it's not quite happened. That's not to say it still can't. Perhaps the extra striker signings and competition spooked him. Plus we're all of a sudden not striker rich anymore.

its a shame ormerods crap aswell

Ormerod's not crap...far from it.!!! He's got bags of experience, is proven at this level and just needs games to get match fit.

Since the sending off at Rochdale Davies has done nowt to convince me that he is going to be a success here.

It's a shame because when he first came he was like a breath of fresh air...he was different to any other player in the squad as he had pace, and lot's of it, something the team had been lacking for a long time.

It's been mentioned before, the problem with Davies is that he is plain thick with no footballing brain whatsoever and no matter who you pair him with up front it won't work!!!

I reckon they coach him all week on the things they want him to do and then come Saturday he does the complete opposite!!!!

I don't think there is room in the squad for O'Grady and Davies as to me they are too similar.

Shez will have done this out of sheer frustration and I reckon Ormerod's here for another month or somebody's coming in next week.

With a 24 hour recall option this seems like a decent idea if the lad is annoyed at not playing, he deserves to be playing 1st team football with his goals last year.

If there is no recall option, this is utter lunacy. Matty Wolfenden on the bench in his place, oh joy

Guest sheridans_world

Brilliant move..... apart from the Stockport bit.

Its about time we went for promotion and this season Shez has got rid of all the players who arnt doing anything.

Just think, we are now saving most of the wages of O'Grady, Davies, Thompson and Kalala, all players who are not doing anything what-so-ever. While them lot are out on loan we can bring other players in, ala Brett Ormerod and Dean Windass (ok we didnt get him but we were clearly in for him) who can do something. Granted Ormerod hasnt scored.

If O'Grady starts scoring goals at Bury and gets in form, we'll have him back and he can score for us! Ditto with Craig Davies. If both of them do nothing, farm em out on loan for longer and try and get someone else in.

Brilliant decision by Shez, its about time he took some cut-throat decisions and risked something.

I don't think there is room in the squad for O'Grady and Davies as to me they are too similar.

O'Grady hasn't struck me as a player with fantastic pace that scares the hell out of defenders. One is a target man, once is a pacey attacker to sprint pace defences.

Does seem a strange decision all ends up and cannot work it out. We loan out two players and loan one in - seems strange especially when both out-loans are decent enough at this level.

Financially maybe the end result is better for Latics? PNE paying lion's share of Brett to get him 'in the shop window' and Bury/Stockport paying most of our wages?

Do get the feeling that Davies could be one of a long list of Oldham forwards who go on to be significantly better for other clubs than us? Would hate to see Craig banging the goals in for County to get them above us in the league table.

Whilst its fair to say Craig has split the opinion of Latics fans - I think most fans think he has potential and would prefer to see him sat on the bench over Wolfy. I thought at Hartlepool away he came on played well and nearly helped us re-gain the 3 points we should have had, never feel like Wolf will do that.

Windass to BP? Surely not offering us the same type of option.

Guest sheridans_world
Surely Davies is on his way out for good, he doesnt seem to have the backing of the fans or manager anymore, so probably best for all parties involved.

Im a bit worried about our options up front now with O Grady also out on loan.

I disagree, he has my backing, he just needs a few goals. I've never seen Davies work as hard as he has in some games this season. I think Hughesy being fit and Alessandra challenging him along with O'Grady coming in has made him sit up and realise he isnt an automatic name on the team sheet and he'll have to prove himself a goal scorer to even get on the bench.

Its bloody brilliant this competition for team places thing. Its about time we rooted out the players who cant score by replacing them with players who can. It makes everyone perform better and makes players realise they will be dropped for below par performances.

So far we have only really seen Shez tinker with the strikers, not that I have a problem with Whitaker and Allott but I imagine he'll start on the midfield soon enough.

O'Grady hasn't struck me as a player with fantastic pace that scares the hell out of defenders. One is a target man, once is a pacey attacker to sprint pace defences.

Does seem a strange decision all ends up and cannot work it out. We loan out two players and loan one in - seems strange especially when both out-loans are decent enough at this level.

Financially maybe the end result is better for Latics? PNE paying lion's share of Brett to get him 'in the shop window' and Bury/Stockport paying most of our wages?

Do get the feeling that Davies could be one of a long list of Oldham forwards who go on to be significantly better for other clubs than us? Would hate to see Craig banging the goals in for County to get them above us in the league table.

Whilst its fair to say Craig has split the opinion of Latics fans - I think most fans think he has potential and would prefer to see him sat on the bench over Wolfy. I thought at Hartlepool away he came on played well and nearly helped us re-gain the 3 points we should have had, never feel like Wolf will do that.

Windass to BP? Surely not offering us the same type of option.

Yes mate most definitely its the latics way :wink:

I disagree, he has my backing, he just needs a few goals. I've never seen Davies work as hard as he has in some games this season. I think Hughesy being fit and Alessandra challenging him along with O'Grady coming in has made him sit up and realise he isnt an automatic name on the team sheet and he'll have to prove himself a goal scorer to even get on the bench.

Its bloody brilliant this competition for team places thing. Its about time we rooted out the players who cant score by replacing them with players who can. It makes everyone perform better and makes players realise they will be dropped for below par performances.

So far we have only really seen Shez tinker with the strikers, not that I have a problem with Whitaker and Allott but I imagine he'll start on the midfield soon enough.

He has my backing too, i think he is a very good player and just needs a goal...was really suprised he didnt get on vs scunny mid week, its the fact that we have loaned him out to our rivals which makes me think he will be gone, if he scores the goals to leapfrog them over us in the table he will be public enemy number 1 if he comes back here wont he?!

Guest sheridans_world
He has my backing too, i think he is a very good player and just needs a goal...was really suprised he didnt get on vs scunny mid week, its the fact that we have loaned him out to our rivals which makes me think he will be gone, if he scores the goals to leapfrog them over us in the table he will be public enemy number 1 if he comes back here wont he?!

I'd rather have a player who goes on-loan for two months, scores six goals for Stockport and comes back here in form, than one who sits on the bench getting no (or very little) first team football without scoring any.

Hear from a Bury mate that although he's not knocking the goals in, COG is doing well at Bury and is putting in some good performances. If there's a recall on COG's loan or no chance of extending it, then perhaps Shez feels it's better to get shut of CD and bring COG back if we get hit by suspensions/injuries.

It's a good move IMO, except for the fact he's going to Stockport. If you're going to send him to a L1 club I'd have thought we'd have been tempted to send him to a club at the bottom of the table, although I guess it's tough given commuting time (if Crewe didn't want him that is).