Kilkenny

Kilkenny's absence from Leeds line-up alerts rivals

Published Date: 20 January 2009

By Richard Sutcliffe

LEEDS UNITED midfielder Neil Kilkenny is understood to be attracting interest from a handful of League One clubs.

The 23-year-old Australian international has made 21 appearances for the Elland Road club this season but is yet to feature under new manager Simon Grayson.

Since the departure of Gary McAllister, Kilkenny has been named on the bench just once –

the Boxing Day draw with Leicester City – and that has alerted several clubs to his possible availability.

It is not known if Leeds would be willing to part with a player who they captured from Birmingham City for £150,000 a little over a year ago after pipping Doncaster Rovers to his signature.

But that has not dissuaded a host of possible suitors from keeping tabs on Kilkenny with several clubs expected to be represented at tonight's reserve team game against Barnsley at Elland Road when Alan Sheehan and David Prutton are also set to feature.

The midfielder, who is understood to have been the subject of an enquiry by Doncaster, played for his country in last year's Olympics and has made 40 appearances for Leeds. He was in the United side beaten by Doncaster at Wembley in the League One play-off final.

Before joining Leeds, he had a successful four-month spell on loan at Oldham Athletic.

By Richard Sutcliffe

LEEDS UNITED midfielder Neil Kilkenny is understood to be attracting interest from a handful of League One clubs.

The 23-year-old Australian international has made 21 appearances for the Elland Road club this season but is yet to feature under new manager Simon Grayson.

Since the departure of Gary McAllister, Kilkenny has been named on the bench just once –

the Boxing Day draw with Leicester City – and that has alerted several clubs to his possible availability.

It is not known if Leeds would be willing to part with a player who they captured from Birmingham City for £150,000 a little over a year ago after pipping Doncaster Rovers to his signature.

But that has not dissuaded a host of possible suitors from keeping tabs on Kilkenny with several clubs expected to be represented at tonight's reserve team game against Barnsley at Elland Road when Alan Sheehan and David Prutton are also set to feature.

The midfielder, who is understood to have been the subject of an enquiry by Doncaster, played for his country in last year's Olympics and has made 40 appearances for Leeds. He was in the United side beaten by Doncaster at Wembley in the League One play-off final.

Before joining Leeds, he had a successful four-month spell on loan at Oldham Athletic.

Judas!

I would expect if League 1 clubs are after him then we would certainly be sounding him out (after all Donny are doing) and bar Leicester probably be his first choice.

By many acounts he's a bit of a ****, but he could be what we need. Not interested in "Our home form was :censored: with him", he's a good player and could bring the bit of attitude we're maybe lacking. Lags will tell ya....

I would expect if League 1 clubs are after him then we would certainly be sounding him out (after all Donny are doing) and bar Leicester probably be his first choice.

By many acounts he's a bit of a ****, but he could be what we need. Not interested in "Our home form was :censored: with him", he's a good player and could bring the bit of attitude we're maybe lacking. Lags will tell ya....

I reckon it depends on whether we sell someone in January as to whether we have the money to get him in - I would love him to come back - asap too :grin:

I reckon it depends on whether we sell someone in January as to whether we have the money to get him in - I would love him to come back - asap too :grin:

Leave him to rot at Leeds, he is not the kind of player we need at BP, arrogant little herbert who always thought he was too good too play for Oldham...hate him

I really don't get this hatred of Kilkenny.

Yes, we were all disappointed and angry when he left us for Leeds, but he only did what we all would do which us go for more money and POTENTIAL. Leeds are a much bigger club and if the day comes when they get their act together they will be, in my opinion, a top Championship club.

He has, what are lacking at the moment, which is leadership qualities and drive.

For me, we improved after he left.

Liked him as a player though.

Not sure I'd bring him back personally, but if Shez can be sure it would strengthen us in the middle (or on the right?), then it would be a good thing.

Given wage differentials, I can only see it being another loan deal if it is on the cards.

I really don't get this hatred of Kilkenny.

Yes, we were all disappointed and angry when he left us for Leeds, but he only did what we all would do which us go for more money and POTENTIAL. Leeds are a much bigger club and if the day comes when they get their act together they will be, in my opinion, a top Championship club.

He has, what are lacking at the moment, which is leadership qualities and drive.

Yeah, he's completely divided opinion. Most who don't want him back feel he's crapped on us from a great height and that he should have showed undying loyalty to the blue shirt because we apparently dragged him out of the :censored: at Brum. Lets be honest, if we hadn't, someone else would have. It all just smacks of cutting off yer nose to spite your face.

One thing Neil Kilkenny had in his locker was the ability to unlock tight games with a killer pass. In our team this season I can't see one player who has that quality, and we've settled on a Tesco Value version [Whittaker] and brought in Maher who hasn't really been as good as Shez thought he was. Both of them can't really seem to open up close games or really stamp their authority in midfield and we've relied on goals from Hughes too heavily.

You could argue that we got better when NK left, but is thats strictly true? We snarled and fought our way past Everton, and went on a pretty shoddy run after that before finishing the last couple of months well when the pressure was off and we had no real chance of the play-offs. The first half of the season was patchy (NK was injured a little during this period) but finished it towards Xmas strongly with string of cracking away wins. To say we were better with NK out of the side? Well, yers needs yer head testing duntcha?

Can't see him coming back unless Whittaker or Maher were out of the club in all honesty.

By Richard Sutcliffe

League One clubs couldn't afford his salary.

I'd rather not see him back, because for once I do tend to believe the stories about his disruptive influence. Which doesn't equate to leadership qualities in my view.

That said, on his good days he could provide the creativity from midfield we are sorely lacking. I'm just not convinced his good days are frequent enough to want to take on the baggage.

He's made no secret that he enjoyed his time here and seems to retain a soft spot for us, so I don't really understand the vehemence from some.

I don't honestly think he's our answer, but if he inspired us to, say, six extra points and that turned out to be enough to secure second place I'd be happy.

I'd still rather have the other billy big bollocks back from Donny though... :grin:

I am not biting just to be bullied by you Stitch. I don't want to be the next Dean! Bridge, every, Burnt,

Id have him back, the CM area needs strengthening desperately. He is the type of player we are crying out for. Whits aint in the same league (well i suppose he is actually:)

He is a supossedly a little **** and a billy big bollox etc etc but i put that down to stupid rumours until someone actually came out and said that from the club. I certainly dont blame him for going to Leeds they are a massive club despite what some would have you believe, especially when compared to us!

He obviously wouldnt be the most popular choice to return, so could Shez not be looking for a similar type of player from the Premiership to come in, like KK was the first time he came on loan.

It seems we have sorted out the LB position (if this young lad from Reading is any good), we have windass in up front, just need the spark in the centre now, with Allott or Maher doing the simple stuff behind.