Doggygate - Includes Official Statement

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I wonder why Mr Keegan didn't bother to print comments from other OWTB members along the lines of "storm in a teacup", "let's wait to see what action the club takes" and "we trust TTA to do the right thing for OAFC" (those maybe paraphrased, I really can't be bothered checking back for word for word quotes).

Not to mention those questioning his version of events.

The single most important thing in a journalist's armoury is credibility. Yours, Mr Keegan, is teetering on a knife edge.

You're dead on there garcon...is credibility is on a knife edge because he hasn't given a fair representation of what the fanbase of this club is thinking and as such this piece of writing can be clearly viewed as bias and perhaps prothlesising (sp?) towards having players and more so the manager (especially considering his personal view on Sheridan) sacked.

Perfetic managment on and of the pitch stupid descisions not having the balls to drop ppl :censored: signings well loans sry except jones bad performances lack of getting the lads going just all together piss poor this could be a godsend just please get rid of the pleb.

it must be bad if my dad been going for 55 years cba to go anymore :S

Now I wonder why Mr Keegan didn't bother to print comments from other OWTB members along the lines of "storm in a teacup", "let's wait to see what action the club takes" and "we trust TTA to do the right thing for OAFC" (those maybe paraphrased, I really can't be bothered checking back for word for word quotes).

Not to mention those questioning his version of events.

The single most important thing in a journalist's armoury is credibility. Yours, Mr Keegan, is teetering on a knife edge.

Why is his credibility teetering? seems he's reported the incident with the information that's currently out there. Personally I think the way Sheridan allows drinking, frolics and high jinks to be part and parcel of being a Latics player this kinda thing was just waitin to happen. Give a bunch of young males with plenty of money and big ego's license to high jinks, who naturally haven't built up the abilty to hold vast quantities of Alcohol is putting blue touch paper within distance of dry powder. Don't even get me started on what professional footballers should expect and be expected to fore go in return for their status and incredible pay packets. Have we not learn't from our European counterparts as to why we have so few Englishmen in our top flight game?

Edited by Lags

Why is his credibility teetering? seems he's reported the incident with the information that's currently out there. Personally the way Sheridan allows drinking, frolics and high jinks to be part and parcel of being a Latics player this kinda thing was just waitin to happen. Give a bunch of young males with plenty of money and big ego's license to high jinks, who naturally haven't built up the abilty to hold vast quantities of Alcohol is putting blue touch paper within distance of dry powder. Don't even get me started on what professional footballers should expect and be expected to fore go in return for their status and incredible pay packets. Have we not learn't from our European counterparts as to why we have so few Englishmen in our top flight game?

His credibility is teetering because this article does not show a fair reflection of what the fans of Oldham Athletic club think. He has taken the extreme negative comments from this site to fit in with his agenda, which seems to be getting the manager and players sacked.

Further. It's interesting to hear Crossley saying (with his long career he wishes to extend further yet......granted a keeper can go on longer, yet even as keepers go Crossley is knocking on) The lads are having a drink, some more so than others. You can tell Crossley wasn't 'some more so' Do you know why? I'd wager cos he was brought up on one Brian Clough who ruled with on iron fist (and yes he was an alcoholic in the end) Was this the very same Brian Clough who after folking out huge money for one John Shridan tossed him aside? Now I don't know why that was and if I was to have an opinion it would be pure speculation. However if I was to speculate right now I think you'd get the picture.

Suppose because the information is already in the public domain no permission is required from our journo friends to print these quotes...(I'm not one of the quoted fans by the way - just curious..)

It's a members only forum, so in theory it's not public domain as you have to 'sign in'. We will be looking into it :angry:

His credibility is teetering because this article does not show a fair reflection of what the fans of Oldham Athletic club think. He has taken the extreme negative comments from this site to fit in with his agenda, which seems to be getting the manager and players sacked.

That's interesting. So come folks....hands up all you members that believe this whole affair is nothing and it's all a do about nowt? It's an absolute disgrace and the club as been dragged right down. Just like our league position....tumbling.

Keegans done nothing wrong in writing what he has.

I would agree that nothing wrong has been done, however this doesn't mean that this piece of writing isn't shoddy and that his ability to write a credible representative report is poor.

Reading through his posts on owtb, he has made it clear that he does not like Shez being the manager of this club. Great to have a job that lets you promote (ram) your personal beliefs to a wider readership... good old non-bias journalism reporting just the facts.

Poor :angry:

In the Advertiser, Mike (Guernica) Keegan and Stuart Greer write:

Fans discussing the incident on the 'Oh When The Blues' (OWTB) web forum were also angry that the off-field controversy comes at a crucial point in the Latics' bid to earn promotion from League One.

One disappointed fan labelled the players' and manager's alleged behaviour "a total joke and unprofessional", while another added, "They need their contracts ripping up".

Other supporters rued what could be the end of the side's promotion hopes.

"Our season is over – no team spirit, no unity, no desire," one stated.

http://www.oldhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/s/1...one_to_the_dogs

I'm outraged by this. As far as I'm concerned OWTB is not a full public domain. We are a members only community and what you post in here is protected by our security features so you have the right to express yourselves openly. Even if we have no legal standpoint it's a matter of common courtesy to ask the people involved if they can be quoted. Or even to come to those of us who work here and ask if we could make an announcement to ask on a 'general' level. A matter of manners almost.

To then, as Garcon points out, take a very select and biased sample to suit the needs of the article is just obscene. I've defended Mr Keegan this week as a man who has a difficult job to do, a man who has to report the bad with the good. I now feel dirty for ever holding such an opinion. He's clearly the same as most journalists, willing to sell out anyone he needs to to get a story.

The rage is palpable in me right now. I'm quite proud of how restrained I've been in this post.

It's a members only forum, so in theory it's not public domain as you have to 'sign in'. We will be looking into it :angry:

Do you need to sign in to view the topics or just to post on them? I ask because I use the RSS feed and it always asks me to sign in...

I'm outraged by this. As far as I'm concerned OWTB is not a full public domain. We are a members only community and what you post in here is protected by our security features so you have the right to express yourselves openly. Even if we have no legal standpoint it's a matter of common courtesy to ask the people involved if they can be quoted. Or even to come to those of us who work here and ask if we could make an announcement to ask on a 'general' level. A matter of manners almost.

To then, as Garcon points out, take a very select and biased sample to suit the needs of the article is just obscene. I've defended Mr Keegan this week as a man who has a difficult job to do, a man who has to report the bad with the good. I now feel dirty for ever holding such an opinion. He's clearly the same as most journalists, willing to sell out anyone he needs to to get a story.

The rage is palpable in me right now. I'm quite proud of how restrained I've been in this post.

I'd take the free advertisement and be grateful. Blimey who the hell do we think we are?

I'd take the free advertisement and be grateful. Blimey who the hell do we think we are?

I understand your point about the free advertising, it's useful... But as the official messageboard of OAFC I think the mods are right to ensure that any message coming from the forum is representative as a whole...

I understand your point about the free advertising, it's useful... But as the official messageboard of OAFC I think the mods are right to ensure that any message coming from the forum is representative as a whole...

OK....I'll ask again. Which members of this forum believe it's nowt?

an online community of oldham athletic fans who voice there opinions good bad or indifferent in an enviroment that is supposed to be secure and to a certain degree annonymous.

i dont think the attitude coming across is one of we are the billy big balls of the forum world and all we say is true....i think its the fact that someone has used certain peoples comments and views to write an inaccurate article regarding an incident that may or may not be as bad as it is being portrayed.

the thing is that it isnt a balanced view of what oldham fans think...there is what about 120 regular posters on here....some more active than others who share there views between each other...

if he really wanted to gauge public opinion on this matter he should of got of his backside and gone to oldham centre and canvassed the general public for there views on it,instead they havent and chose to randomly print a group of biased peoples views on the matter.

if that isnt shoddy journalism i dont know what is.