Rumour latest update........

bbc gossip:

Former Manchester City chairman John Wardle is in talks with Oldham about helping out the club financially. (Daily Mirror)

The big ship was OK when it left Belfast!

According to the BBC sports page there is a story in the Mirror saying that Wardle is in talks

Hunt the mole.

There must be Mirror journo reading this message board.

Nothing to substantiate it other than the one post we all know about.

That said I hope he invests. If it is not to jsut become a board member then using his companies. It could be a new stand, or retail development. MAybe naming rights to the new stand.

Here's hoping it is the cash injectiont he TTA need.

One thing is for sure, I am partly glad of the credit crunch. It has made the TTA look at all the costs of the new BP. The £80m would have larger been in debt, and I fear we could hav eben in the position of Southampton. Brand sapking new stadium and a mountain of debt.

Lets just hope there is enough will and finance to make it happen theough, clearly it is jeopardy for years to come.

The big ship was OK when it left Belfast!

Now there is some debate about that. It has been argued that the root cause of the Titanic sinking can be traced back to shoddy workmanship or cheap rivets as costs were cut during production and an attempt to get the ship in to service too quickly.

Now there is some debate about that. It has been argued that the root cause of the Titanic sinking can be traced back to shoddy workmanship or cheap rivets as costs were cut during production and an attempt to get the ship in to service too quickly.

Glad to see I'm providing thought-proviking discussion via my bumblings. ;)

Nothing to do with a whopping great big ice berg then :)

Edited by oafc0000

One thing is for sure, I am partly glad of the credit crunch. It has made the TTA look at all the costs of the new BP. The £80m would have larger been in debt, and I fear we could hav eben in the position of Southampton. Brand sapking new stadium and a mountain of debt.

Or if the Council hadn't delayed us we could have had a huge wad of cash off a soon to be bankrupted building company, and constructed the new ground at a bargain price as the construction industry is currently willing to work for food.

It's hard to focus on your riveting whilst stopping the bowler hat slipping off your head.

Hunt the mole.

There must be Mirror journo reading this message board.

Nothing to substantiate it other than the one post we all know about.

That said I hope he invests. If it is not to jsut become a board member then using his companies. It could be a new stand, or retail development. MAybe naming rights to the new stand.

Here's hoping it is the cash injectiont he TTA need.

Lets just hope there is enough will and finance to make it happen theough, clearly it is jeopardy for years to come.

I fail to see how something can be in jeopardy for years to come. It is either in jeopardy or it isn't.

If the stadium redevelopment is in jeopardy, then so is the club. This cannot be stressed too much. Without it (and assuming no new investement) our future lies in, at best, the bottom third of the fourth division. At worst, there isn't a future for the club at all.

If anybody can present an halfway convincing case for how this club can maintain the pretence of challenging for promotion, let alone attempting to survive long-term at the higher level, without the redevelopment, I have yet to hear it.

Or if the Council hadn't delayed us we could have had a huge wad of cash off a soon to be bankrupted building company, and constructed the new ground at a bargain price as the construction industry is currently willing to work for food.

I didn't follow closely what was going on at the time, but could it be said that it all started to go wrong for TTA's plans to make the club financially independent when the Ferney Fields project fell through?

I fear we may one day come to see that fiasco as a fatal blow.

I didn't follow closely what was going on at the time, but could it be said that it all started to go wrong for TTA's plans to make the club financially independent when the Ferney Fields project fell through?

I fear we may one day come to see that fiasco as a fatal blow.

No doubting it was a massive own goal...

No doubting it was a massive own goal...

I still feel it would have been better to move to another site in the borough than to re-develop Boundary Park. Even if the redevelopment starts in a couple of years we will still be stuck with a three sided ground for some years after that due to gradual development. Surely it would be better to relocate to a purpose built facility that could be completly up and running from scratch within a couple of years.

The club would also have extra land to sell ie. The old stadium site.

I still feel it would have been better to move to another site in the borough than to re-develop Boundary Park. Even if the redevelopment starts in a couple of years we will still be stuck with a three sided ground for some years after that due to gradual development. Surely it would be better to relocate to a purpose built facility that could be completly up and running from scratch within a couple of years.

The club would also have extra land to sell ie. The old stadium site.

it was ideally placed too, near Mills Hill Railway station and the A627(M), with plenty of room around it not being as much objections to developments from residents

Edited by Tommy_Fent

If I recall correctly, it wasn't that near Mills Hill. I thought it was nearer the Foxdenton Lane/Broadway junction.

well it is a large area, I can see on google maps an athletics track, I thought it would of been on that site which is just off Hunt Lane which is 20 minutes walk away, but I may be wrong as I'm sure other posters may know the area better than me

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Nothing to do with a whopping great big ice berg then :)

The iceberg may well have played a part but the ship was designed to be able to withstand some amount of taking on water. One line of thought is that the shoddy workmanship/materials used led to the "unsinkable" design not taking the stresses and strain that it should've.

I fail to see how something can be in jeopardy for years to come. It is either in jeopardy or it isn't.

Ifail to see the argument, we both agree the development is in jeopardy. It might be back on the cards if Wardle or someone else comes in, or the economy picks up, or someone else comes in. But we both know it is in jeopardy. It won't go ahead for at least a couple of years realistically, so years to come is correct. You may think that means OAFC is bust imminently, I think we have a bit longer with a fair wind, tight control by the TTA and a host of other factors.

If the stadium redevelopment is in jeopardy, then so is the club.

Completely agree

This cannot be stressed too much. Without it (and assuming no new investement) our future lies in, at best, the bottom third of the fourth division. At worst, there isn't a future for the club at all.

Completely agree, but there are seemingly possibilities of that investment, so it is not the end. Although the possibility is obvious. We don't know the stat of the TTA USA business. WE cannot make statemetnt that the club is in mortal danger when we do not know. We can guess, nad make plans that it is, even highlight it like you do.

If anybody can present an halfway convincing case for how this club can maintain the pretence of challenging for promotion, let alone attempting to survive long-term at the higher level, without the redevelopment, I have yet to hear it.

Where have you got that I made a pretence that we can challenge for promotion or that we have to do anything but cut out cloth accordingly.

You seem to have assumed I am in denial about the threat to our club. I cannot see where that has come from, my post alludes nothing of the sort. Just becasue I don't bang on about it in every post ad nauseum does not mean I am unaware of what is blindingly obvious to anyone that has an inkling of business sense. But the current climate also presents opportunities givent he right investmetn, which we may or may not get.

I am just not a wearer of a placard saying the end is nigh.

Edited by singe

You seem to have assumed I am in denial about the threat to our club. I cannot see where that has come from, my post alludes nothing of the sort. Just becasue I don't bang on about it in every post ad nauseum does not mean I am unaware of what is blindingly obvious to anyone that has an inkling of business sense. But the current climate also presents opportunities givent he right investmetn, which we may or may not get.

100% agree.

I studied the 'spend in recession save in boom' theory at Uni and it's exceptionally effective if you can get it right. It's a high risk strategy there's no denial of that, but it's one which can prove very effective.

It's hard to focus on your riveting whilst stopping the bowler hat slipping off your head.

And trying not to get his orange sash oily!

Is this an analogy for the root cause of a Football Club's sinking being traced back to shoddy management or cheap players as costs were cut during squad assembly and an attempt to get the club promoted too quickly?

"The club got two thirds of the way through the season when it was struck by a footballing iceberg that caused it to sink it down the league. All crewmen went down with the club." :grin:

Neither am I.

I haven't said that the end of the club is imminent. That much is completely obvious from what I've written.

My post wasn't a personal attack on you, Mr Singe.