Damn you TTA, damn you for failing to spot a global recession that pretty much every financial professional, commentator or analyst failed to spot coming. Damn you too for failing to get your plans passed by a small backward looking Northern provincial council's planning department. Damn you all!!!!!

:blink:

What prompted this ?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So negative. The lad was clearly saying that he wouldn't be throwing £480 on his waist (i.e. beer), as he will need it for his season ticket. He's probably an anti-glory fan, and will stop the moment we get good*.

*Disclaimer: OldhamSheridan does not guarantee Oldham will get good at any point, or any return of money should this fail to ever happen.*

negative ive been going for 12 years sick of seeing the same rubbish were allways secound best at everything

Wow, a whole 12 years.

To be fair Pete, he might have only been coming for 12 years, but that's 12 years of :censored:e and not a lot else. At least those of us over 30 have had some good times to see us through the bad!

To be fair Pete, he might have only been coming for 12 years, but that's 12 years of :censored:e and not a lot else. At least those of us over 30 have had some good times to see us through the bad!

The fire in my belly (and it is bloody big 'un) is diminishing by the day, there's a sodding great cloud over the club at the moment permeated by the demolished and now vandalised stand, I mean, how much would it cost to clean/paint over the graffitti? The whole club stinks of a 'couldn't give a toss' attitude and tbh i'm very close to joining them. I think it'll be Oldham Town and chadderton for me next season, nothing excites me about following Latics anymore and it :censored:ing kills me!

negative ive been going for 12 years sick of seeing the same rubbish were allways secound best at everything

2 play off semis is more than a lot of clubs have managed at this level. A good number have been relegated and come back up though. Perhpas that would have been better?

The last 3 years of the "rubbish" have seen 3 top ten finishes. It might be frustrating to keep coming close, but surely it's better than 3 relegation dog-fights?

Personally I'm a latics fan for life and take a long term view.

3 years of financial stability, 3 years of mixed football, 3 years of top ten finishes. The 2 years before that were bottom half finishes, one involving a last day win to stay up. 2 top ten finishes before that with silly spending, but before that 4 years of bottom half finishes. All in all, the last 3 years from 12 have been the most consistently high achieving.

Those of us who have been going for decades can mock those who are younger for supposed fickleness, but without them the club has no future.

Very True

Hats off to anyone going for the last 12 years. No glory to fall back on at all !

How have you managed it!

The fire in my belly (and it is bloody big 'un) is diminishing by the day, there's a sodding great cloud over the club at the moment permeated by the demolished and now vandalised stand, I mean, how much would it cost to clean/paint over the graffitti? The whole club stinks of a 'couldn't give a toss' attitude and tbh i'm very close to joining them. I think it'll be Oldham Town and chadderton for me next season, nothing excites me about following Latics anymore and it :censored:ing kills me!

With the brief interlude of October to February 2006-7, I've felt that way since the farcial way the team allowed itself to be sucked into another relegation battle in 2005. Once the players had taken the pee again after February 2007, I realised that it was all up for this club as anything more than a lower division outfit and the butt of other clubs fans' jokes. The three-sided ground just rounds it off.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

2 play off semis is more than a lot of clubs have managed at this level. A good number have been relegated and come back up though. Perhpas that would have been better?

The last 3 years of the "rubbish" have seen 3 top ten finishes. It might be frustrating to keep coming close, but surely it's better than 3 relegation dog-fights?

Personally I'm a latics fan for life and take a long term view.

3 years of financial stability, 3 years of mixed football, 3 years of top ten finishes. The 2 years before that were bottom half finishes, one involving a last day win to stay up. 2 top ten finishes before that with silly spending, but before that 4 years of bottom half finishes. All in all, the last 3 years from 12 have been the most consistently high achieving.

At this level there is no difference between top ten finishes and failed play-off spots and bottom-half indifference. Unlike at the higher level, a third-tier club gains nothing financially from finishing a few places higher-up the table, and relatively little for failing in the play-off semi-finals. And no additional prestige either.

The idea that we are somehow making progress is a myth. This club has been merely hanging around (and getting smaller in the process) for fifteen years. And we're not finacnially stable but are subsidised by the week by the only people prepared to do it. Cutting down a mightily unsustainable debt to a more manageable one doesn't make you financially stable.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Who will we turn to for horifically obscure stats in years to come if you go?! :)

As long as there is plenty of 'boo's' and 'rubbish' I am up ferret

The only people who do seem 'up for it' now are those who are too young to have known anything else and old-timers who take the attitude that 'we've always been rubbish so what's new?' (which strikes me as odd when a competitive sport is all about improving and being the best you can). It is the large group in the middle who are fed up with the way the club's historical chance to move up a level as a club (to keep pace with the likes of Burnley and Preston perhaps) was wasted, and have realised that no progress is being made, who are drifting away from BP in droves.

The only people who do seem 'up for it' now are those who are too young to have known anything else and old-timers who take the attitude that 'we've always been rubbish so what's new?' (which strikes me as odd when a competitive sport is all about improving and being the best you can). It is the large group in the middle who are fed up with the way the club's historical chance to move up a level as a club (to keep pace with the likes of Burnley and Preston perhaps) was wasted, and have realised that no progress is being made, who are drifting away from BP in droves.

Agreed...

There is no evidence for this but it is scientific fact.

Respect to the Burnley and PNE fans who stick with their clubs, hoping to realise the dream of promotion to the Greedy League. It will be interesting to see if their supports drops off markedly after they've been there, done that, got the T-shirts and then been relegated.

Dunno if anyone's posted further up, but Alan Hardy's but the kybosh on the Wardle takeover rumour on the fishul.

So, let's carry on talking about how Oldham's fallen into a decay, why Asian fans are to too intimidated to come and what our threadbare squad is likely to contain just to cheer us all up.

At this level there is no difference between top ten finishes and failed play-off spots and bottom-half indifference. Unlike at the higher level, a third-tier club gains nothing financially from finishing a few places higher-up the table, and relatively little for failing in the play-off semi-finals. And no additional prestige either.

The idea that we are somehow making progress is a myth. This club has been merely hanging around (and getting smaller in the process) for fifteen years. And we're not finacnially stable but are subsidised by the week by the only people prepared to do it. Cutting down a mightily unsustainable debt to a more manageable one doesn't make you financially stable.

I'd also add to this that given the quality of player brought in over the past three years, top ten finishes count as failure. It isn't entirely the club's fault as, due to the way the game has changed, the less likelihood of a club at this level being able to keep a squad together during the close season makes season-on-season progress less likely than in the past. With a more stable squad over the last five years, using what money was available to add needed quality instead of exchanging (mostly) like for like, we might have made it out of the division.

This point also links to the financial aspect in that failure to make progress on the pitch actually undermines savings made for the simple reason that falling gates as fans get disillusioned leads, as we seem to be seeing, to cutbacks on the playing side-which will lead to a further fall in gates as, almost inevitably, reduced quality on the pitch guarantees more failure. A vicious circle or a downward spiral: call it what you will.

Respect to the Burnley and PNE fans who stick with their clubs, hoping to realise the dream of promotion to the Greedy League. It will be interesting to see if their supports drops off markedly after they've been there, done that, got the T-shirts and then been relegated.

They've rebuilt their support since the days we rejoined them in the third tier in 1997. Both have probably near enough doubled their gates while we have, at best, done nothing but tread water. And they did it at the right time-when the football 'boom' was in full swing, enabling them to modernise their facilities. Again, the precise opposite to what this club has done.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

There is no evidence for this but it is scientific fact.

Average gate went down by 250 from 1998 to 2008 so I guess it's true, subject to "droves" meaning an average of 25 per year.

As for these last 12 years not including any "glory years", well they might not, but they do include (as stated earlier) 2 play off semis, and also a FA cup win vs Everton. As also stated earlier, the first 4 years of the last 12 were far worse than the present, so why is it suddenly a "doom and gloom" thing? The lat 3 have been the best of the 12 years.

75-85 weren't exactly world beating years either.