I think Derek's summing up of the situation accurately reflects the views of many.

I agree. And that's what makes Joe the right man for the job, in my opinion.

If nothing else, his style of football will be more entertaining than any we've seen at BP since he left.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps if Joe's second coming had been successful and we were now in a Play-off spot, John Wardle would have been more enthusiastic about the possibility of getting involved.

And that's what a fickle mistress football is........ had we stuffed Tranmere that day and got the confidence flowing this thread would be so very different.

I think the problem with Latics is the what seems to be endless disappointment. We beat Everton away lose to Huddersfield at home, get to the top of the league then blow it, get a big crowd at BP for an attractive fixture and lose, get the messiah back at the helm and don't win a game. I guess eventually it just grinds you down :(

For a long time going to Latics has become more of a social thing rather than a football thing, it was about meeting in the pub having a few beers, adjourning for the game and then back to the pub. And if I'm honest the away days were even better.

But now all the 'gang' I used to go with have one by one dropped off frustrated with what appears to be a lack of ambition and progress....... so these days even the social side has died and I'm not sure what keeps me going really. I did stop when I witnessed (Cardiff apart) the worst game I have ever seen at BP when we drew with Scunny in Ronnie's last game in charge. I missed the first few games of Shez's reign but was tempted back with all the talk of the decent football that returned. And for a while all was well, although I have to admit, my attendance for cup games has been very hit and miss.

But on Saturday, even under the great man, I got that feeling again; "What the :censored: am I doing here?" The players don't seem to care so much, so why should I?

I can't make Southend anyway....... so what worries me is how will I feel next August? I can see it could be the end of a 30+ year journey....... and it really pains me to say that.

although i am a little disalusioned with the latics at present,i have follwed them since i was 5 years old,and i simply cannot turn my back on them after such a long time.

i have seen the :censored:,the good times,the indifferent times the :censored: again and where we are today.

i can say i wont spend any more money there this season,the players cant be bothered so i cant justify spending hard earned money on them.

i do think that the club needs to take stock,and go through everything from top to bottom and reasses how things are for the fans.

the matchday for many has turned sour as there is nowhere very near the ground like the clayton arms were you can get a half decent pint,have the crack meet friends and then go in the ground,thats killed it for many.

the smoking ban has also had an effect on things,that sad being an ex smoker if you cant sit for 2 hours without a smoke there is something wrong with you,so not really an excuse.

yes the ground is :censored:,and in need of repair and at the very least a lick of paint,the club argue it costs too much money etc etc,occasionally asks for volunteers in return for a season ticket...maybe they should tap into the market of community service workers who have to do community service without pay so it doesnt have to pay out to get it done.

the catering needs looking at as people have said,running out of food before half time is criminal,and also the cost needs to be looked at.

maybe the club could or should consider doing something like a fans charter,and what they would like for the matchday experience so the club actually gets to know what its fans want.

at the end of the day the seasons over,we can pick the bones out of what we like...we all know once the fixture list comes out and pre season starts we shall all be there again with fresh hope and optimism.

maybe the club could or should consider doing something like a fans charter,and what they would like for the matchday experience so the club actually gets to know what its fans want.

That's a very good idea and something the trust should be pushing for.

the matchday for many has turned sour as there is nowhere very near the ground like the clayton arms were you can get a half decent pint,have the crack meet friends and then go in the ground,thats killed it for many.

the smoking ban has also had an effect on things,that sad being an ex smoker if you cant sit for 2 hours without a smoke there is something wrong with you,so not really an excuse.

yes the ground is :censored:,and in need of repair and at the very least a lick of paint,the club argue it costs too much money etc etc,occasionally asks for volunteers in return for a season ticket...maybe they should tap into the market of community service workers who have to do community service without pay so it doesnt have to pay out to get it done.

the catering needs looking at as people have said,running out of food before half time is criminal,and also the cost needs to be looked at.

I agree with that. Yes we all go to see Latics win but how depressing is it turning up at Boundary Park. Like you say the match day experience is shocking and I don't see why they try to create a 'family atmosphere' when we all know the locals only turn up for a heated match with guaranteed atmosphere.

It's the simple things that the club could change that really do my head in i.e the music - I was sat there on Saturday thinking why in the world does a ground of mainly of middle aged men have to listen to cheesy pop music that only 13 year old girls like?! Staring at the vandalism on the Old Lookers aswel is starting to annoy me, surely there's youth groups that can actually do good graffiti who could do something about Latics or just get some decorators too tidy it all up (we are all aware that the stand could be like that for years)

I don't smoke but how childish is it for the club not to allow (and even kick out) grown adults not to have a cigarette behind the stand. Surely they can just designate an area like Peterborough where people who want a fag can go there - it's not hard is it. But thats the whole problem with it at the moment, we've got too many jobsworth stewards staring at you throughout the game like your murderers/rapists without them even considering you've actually paid to get in just to get away from the normal :censored:e life living in Oldham and you want to have a laugh with some of your mates. Thats why people are giving up on Latics.

Next season the club will seriously have a big problem on their hands if they don't buck up their idea's. They need the youth back at Latics so they should introduce free tickets for u16's and discounted 16-22 tickets like Stockport have. Otherwise our local rivals are just going to take away more of Oldham's youngsters because the club doesnt cater for them. I love the club and always will but as a business it's a joke and needs a big shake up.

also the ticket office are :censored: i heared that a game might be ticket only so i phoned the ticket office asked if the main stand was ticket only for a match the next day thay said no,so i go down get to the gate with my cash sry sir its ticket only i snapped went to the ticket office i said i fing phoned yesterday and you lot said it was ticket only wtf is going on oh yeah we decided 1 hr ago to make it ticket only because there is allot of intrest so i went more insane then thay told me there is no tickets left then my blood was boiling my dad took over thay asked if he was a season ticket holder he was so thay said yeah we keep tickets behind he can have one of them i mean ffs wat a load of :censored: the hole club is clueless.

sry for the gramma but it brought back the rage.

I think you need to be more apologetic for labelling the ticket office staff "spastics" than your so called "gramma". Maybe your approach got their back up and they treated you with the disdain which you ought to be treated, because to tell you what pal, I've never really had any problems with them.

Grow up.

also the ticket office are spastics i heared that a game might be ticket only so i phoned the ticket office asked if the main stand was ticket only for a match the next day thay said no,so i go down get to the gate with my cash sry sir its ticket only i snapped went to the ticket office i said i fing phoned yesterday and you lot said it was ticket only wtf is going on oh yeah we decided 1 hr ago to make it ticket only because there is allot of intrest so i went more insane then thay told me there is no tickets left then my blood was boiling my dad took over thay asked if he was a season ticket holder he was so thay said yeah we keep tickets behind he can have one of them i mean ffs wat a load of :censored: the hole club is clueless.

:lol:

:ranting:

I think you need to be more apologetic for labelling the ticket office staff "spastics" than your so called "gramma". Maybe your approach got their back up and they treated you with the disdain which you ought to be treated, because to tell you what pal, I've never really had any problems with them.

Grow up.

how can my approach get there back up when i phoned a day before? and just because u havnt had a problem everything is great get a clue

Grow up.

Dont agree with the harsh language aimed at them but they are certainly a poor operation as reported many times on here...

i'm sure he realises the constant melodrama on here is in no way indicative of the way the average "non-cyber" Oldham fan feels.

I'm sure he is worried reading the opinions of ordinary fans who hold enough interest to bother being 'cyber-fans'.

I'm also sure he regards it as being in some way indicative to how the average fan feels.

Dont agree with the harsh language aimed at them but they are certainly a poor operation as reported many times on here...

there has been other times where thay have made it ticket only then u only find out when u get to the ground no post on the webby etc just bad advertising and these simple little things drive me mad.

If thay cant sort that out makes you wonder what else is going on like when joe royal was named manager lots of people went and got tickets yet the food ran out and thay lost money for not having stock in it just doesnt make sense how stupid can you be.

there has been other times where thay have made it ticket only then u only find out when u get to the ground no post on the webby etc just bad advertising and these simple little things drive me mad.

If thay cant sort that out makes you wonder what else is going on like when joe royal was named manager lots of people went and got tickets yet the food ran out and thay lost money for not having stock in it just doesnt make sense how stupid can you be.

I doubt the lasses in the ticket office are the ones who manage the stock ordering for the pie stand. Just saying.

tbh wouldnt suprise me

Then at this point I think you've lost any credibilty for your post mate, as that's just daft.

So would we rather the club:

A, Buy enough food and sell out thus meeting the pre-set profits?

B, Buy more food than was needed and thus make a loss?

ARGH! Logic! IT BUUURNS!! :grin:

So would we rather the club:

A, Buy enough food and sell out thus meeting the pre-set profits?

B, Buy more food than was needed and thus make a loss?

I imagine the mark-up is such that it would be worth finding a balance which allows for an element of B. However, isn't the catering let out to 'Azzure'? For a fixed rent?

Regardless of financial reasons the club should get it sorted simply becasue it's a regular annoyance to matchday fans. Those cottage pies are actually quite good....I would have had one (or 2) every home game but availabilty has meant I've had about 5 all season. :(:(

There is some doom and gloom on this thread isn't there? I am feeling pretty down at the moment about Latics as well, but not to the extent of some of the posts on here.

I think the gloominess results from the feeling of 'we let the season waste away' and the last 6 games of the season are meaningless. whereas I (and others) had spent most of the season expecting a climatic end and had crucial away days planned, the Play-off dates in the diary etc.

Nearly having something and losing it is far more depressing than never having it at all. Earlier seasons in League One we were glad to suvive or not be scrapping for survival (and if we weren't it was a successful season not a failure).

Since then (barring the summer following our near-demise) we have been in the hunt and only made it into the Top 6 twice (which given the standard of the league is dissappointing) and only once with any momentum. This leads to people feeling more vocal about their frustrations than is probably actually true.

I am brassed off at the moment. About the same as I felt whenwe capitualted against Blackpool in the play-offs. And lost to Cardiff and blew up then. And the end of Ronnies last season. And....etc.

But come Mid-June and the fixtures come out, a new / retained manager announced, new faces, pre-season etc. I'll be back and up for it again.

Will everyone? No. Overtime football clubs suipport dwindle if the club doesn't progress on the pitch. We have been in this division for a while so its inevitable. They will come back though if we go up or get very close (in auto spots / play-offs post Christmas and in good form/performances) - not a lot, but a few hundred or so that have given up recently.

Whilst i agree with some of the D&G merchants I look at it from another point of view.... There are currently four clubs desprate to get in to this divison and another four in which it will be as disaster to leave it. Irrelevent of early season optimism and having a great squad on paper... we clearly have punched above our weight. Since Joe came back we haved similar results as when Shez departed without the 'names'. There are also three previously 'big clubs' joining us from the Championship. Would we have been better rto follow Oxford and Cambridge Utd, York City, Wrexham? in to the Confrence .. or maybe that the club should have been the first previous big club to cease to exist? ... We are at present LUCKILY holding our own and are in a far better state now than a few years ago. We cant produce the 'old style' football, all the kids talk about in the little leagues is attitiude and how much cash they will get if they get to the top... how that ambition can easily get crushed along with thier fagile egos.

Keep the faith ..... Isnt that what we adopted .. as a slogan for the fans as well as the club ... be as pissed off as you like ... use the board to vent any anger but for christs sake dont give up on the club ....... Players come and go ... as do managers and owners ... Fans just dont.