Then at this point I think you've lost any credibilty for your post mate, as that's just daft.

ARGH! Logic! IT BUUURNS!! :grin:

ohoh and ur reply is spot on "I doubt the lasses in the ticket office are the ones who manage the stock ordering for the pie stand. Just saying. "

stop being thickle

:S

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ohoh and ur reply is spot on "I doubt the lasses in the ticket office are the ones who manage the stock ordering for the pie stand. Just saying. "

stop being thickle

:S

I'd say the section you've quoted is spot on. I can't say for certain, but I'd say with significant confidence that the ticket office staff do not place the stock orders for the third party which runs the catering stalls. Even if OAFC ran them I'd maintain that the ticket office staff would not do the stock ordering.

I'd say the section you've quoted is spot on. I can't say for certain, but I'd say with significant confidence that the ticket office staff do not place the stock orders for the third party which runs the catering stalls. Even if OAFC ran them I'd maintain that the ticket office staff would not do the stock ordering.

i can see how ur madness makes you a oldham supporter

It's amazing the lengths some people will go to to fool themselves. It is not the difference between 1998 and the present day that we should worry about but the way our support began to slowly climb under the Chris Moore regime, holding up nicely for several seasons after the arrival of TTA and the maintaining of a certain degree of hope, only for it to decline fairly drastically since about 2006-despite being in the vaunted top ten.

And you still haven't explained how two play-off semi-final defeats and a one-off cup win constitutes progress, particularly when relatively little money (if any when you consider how it all had to go on paying debt) with which to rebuild the club was accrued.

Ok corp, you want to suggest I'm fooling myself by suggesting certain things? Well at least I'm sticking to facts and not trying to fool others while I'm at it.

So, let's look at what you've suggested:-

1. A rise under Moore (Chris, not Ron) - well, come on FGS, 5 years of relagation battles then a man jumps out of a helicopter and spends £6,000,000 in 2 seasons and the crowd rises. No, really? If that's your solution then show me the money.

2. 1998 is pertinent - it's the time we started at this level.

3. We lost a huge number of fans under the other Moore - bizarrely losing over 650 fans when going from a 19th place finish to a 10th place. Does that suggest that your somewhat too-direct correlation between success and gates is more than a little flawed?

What does it all mean? Well I'd say it means that talk of our imminent demise is a load of nonsense. You can try to make up all sorts of things with stats, or in your case with plain make believe, but the reality is that this club isn't really dying a slow death like you and a few others claim.

What's really happening is that fans who leave now have a marvellous way of telling lots of people that they are leaving, and why, and what the causes are, and how very upset they are. It's all rather self-important and sad imho. They used to just sit in the corner of the pub and moan and whinge, perhaps they should go back there?

Doom and gloom merchants or just average fan's who are getting sick of the whole Oldham Athletic experience? Lets face it it's terrible turning up at Latics these days and paying £20 for the privilege soon gets annoying. Obviously everyones upset at not going up but so what, were used to this division now but it seems theres something more than that stopping the fan's turning up every week. Just weigh up the match day experience at the next home game and try and convince a neutral fan to part with £20 of his hard earned money to come and see us. When Sean Jarvis was at the club, It really felt like the club was really trying to get fan's into the ground and attendances rose whilst he was here. He used to come on the boards and actually talk to fan's rather than over looking at what we wrote. Keep the faith as a motto soon wears off when theres little hope left.

Whilst i agree with some of the D&G merchants I look at it from another point of view.... There are currently four clubs desprate to get in to this divison and another four in which it will be as disaster to leave it. Irrelevent of early season optimism and having a great squad on paper... we clearly have punched above our weight. Since Joe came back we haved similar results as when Shez departed without the 'names'. There are also three previously 'big clubs' joining us from the Championship. Would we have been better rto follow Oxford and Cambridge Utd, York City, Wrexham? in to the Confrence .. or maybe that the club should have been the first previous big club to cease to exist? ... We are at present LUCKILY holding our own and are in a far better state now than a few years ago. We cant produce the 'old style' football, all the kids talk about in the little leagues is attitiude and how much cash they will get if they get to the top... how that ambition can easily get crushed along with thier fagile egos.

Keep the faith ..... Isnt that what we adopted .. as a slogan for the fans as well as the club ... be as pissed off as you like ... use the board to vent any anger but for christs sake dont give up on the club ....... Players come and go ... as do managers and owners ... Fans just dont.

Flippin' good post! (apart from the smelling pistakes....ooops, I mean spelling mistakes!) :wink: I agree 100%

Just to add to the doom and gloom! It looks like only 1 out of the 5 people i regularly go with will be renewing their season tickets next year, and I would have classed all 5 of us as die hard fans. It is the first time I wont have had a season ticket for 12 years. Going to watch the football at Boundary Park just doesnt have the lure it used to. Yes the footballs crap, but its not just that, the whole matchday experience is IMO dire and not a fun way to spend a saturday afternoon like it always used to be. The just seems to be a constant negative atmosphere hanging over the club and I cant quite pinpoint why, probably because it is a multitude of things! I have had a horrible feeling for a while that the club is slowly dying on its arse, unless by some miracle we get some serious investment, and it seems a few on here think the same by looking at some of the posts. Unless something drastically changes I predict some grim times ahead :(

So would we rather the club:

A, Buy enough food and sell out thus meeting the pre-set profits?

B, Buy more food than was needed and thus make a loss?

A...

But what happens is C...

C, Dont buy enough food and sell out thus meeting the pre-set profits but leaving people hungry and unhappy

Ok corp, you want to suggest I'm fooling myself by suggesting certain things? Well at least I'm sticking to facts and not trying to fool others while I'm at it.

1. A rise under Moore (Chris, not Ron) - well, come on FGS, 5 years of relagation battles then a man jumps out of a helicopter and spends £6,000,000 in 2 seasons and the crowd rises. No, really? If that's your solution then show me the money.

3. We lost a huge number of fans under the other Moore - bizarrely losing over 650 fans when going from a 19th place finish to a 10th place. Does that suggest that your somewhat too-direct correlation between success and gates is more than a little flawed?

What does it all mean? Well I'd say it means that talk of our imminent demise is a load of nonsense. You can try to make up all sorts of things with stats, or in your case with plain make believe, but the reality is that this club isn't really dying a slow death like you and a few others claim.

What's really happening is that fans who leave now have a marvellous way of telling lots of people that they are leaving, and why, and what the causes are, and how very upset they are. It's all rather self-important and sad imho. They used to just sit in the corner of the pub and moan and whinge, perhaps they should go back there?

Oen thing that might happen is that fans who cannot come for economic reasons are too proud to admit that.

They also might have got into debt to fund the season ticket and can no longer get that credit line.

The ecomnomic landscape has to account for a noticeable percentage of those falls, but will affect other clubs in a similar way.

I indicate no such thing.

It was a retort to a ridiculous post where you stated the people who have stopped going are of type A rather than type B or C which has no basis in fact, has no evidence beyond anecdotal yet is presented as a universal truth that we all should accept.

The people how stopped attending Oldham Athletic matches between the 12th October 2002 and 15th April 2009 all did so because of a severe case of piles and they found the seats uncomfortable.

This has as much merit as your supposition. People stop going to football all the time for all sorts of reasons, people start going to football for all sorts of reasons. But this doesn't fit in with your grandstanding that t'present owners have done nowt fer t'club or that we have treaded water whilst other clubs have speeded by us with their scheming ways whilst ickle Owdem have missed trick after trick after trick.

We are where we are because various players haven't put the bloody ball in the bloody net often enough or kept it out of our own net enough. FACT.

I'm far from the only one to use anecdotal evidence on here, BT. However an opinion is expressed, though, the statistics do suggest that after a modest boost in attendances after around 2001, many people who came back due to the evidence of some ambition coming out of the club during the Chris Moore and early TTA period have drifted away again, to be joined by people who remained with the club through thick and thin (some of whom express their reasoning on here), due to the seeming hopelessness of the cause. Who can blame them after seeing the way the club has thrown away golden chances to advance in two seasons out of the last three and when there is some reason to suggest that the stadium redevelopment plan may well come to nothing? (This is not to suggest that the stadium plan wasn't sound on paper, or that TTA should have predicted the economic contraction; as others have noted, I haven't criticised TTA at all. Perhaps you should pay more attention to what you read instead of responding emotionally, as so many others do, to what they see as expressions of pessimism.)

We might be where we are ultimately for the reasons you say, but you know as well as anybody that it isn't quite that simple. It does nothing to alter the fact that gates have fallen alarmingly. And only idiots write FACT after stating mere opinions.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

:ranting: to all you doom mongers out there 'boo bloody hoo'.a club is for life not just christmas.keep the faith,keep the bleedin faith.

This statement would be more justified if many of those who can see the obstacles facing the club were not regulars, home and away, for decades.

It doesn't make anybody less of a fan if they choose to face facts and talk about it on a messageboard set up specifically so that fans can exchange views.

Just to add to the doom and gloom! It looks like only 1 out of the 5 people i regularly go with will be renewing their season tickets next year, and I would have classed all 5 of us as die hard fans. It is the first time I wont have had a season ticket for 12 years. Going to watch the football at Boundary Park just doesnt have the lure it used to. Yes the footballs crap, but its not just that, the whole matchday experience is IMO dire and not a fun way to spend a saturday afternoon like it always used to be. The just seems to be a constant negative atmosphere hanging over the club and I cant quite pinpoint why, probably because it is a multitude of things! I have had a horrible feeling for a while that the club is slowly dying on its arse, unless by some miracle we get some serious investment, and it seems a few on here think the same by looking at some of the posts. Unless something drastically changes I predict some grim times ahead :(

Wozz this is by no means directed at you but this sort of time every year I read a number of similar posts as above, infact i posted one myself a couple of years ago. But year in year out we seem to sell approximatly the same number of season tickets. I hope this year it is the same again but with the Credit crunch I think this year may see people actually carry out the above.

I wasn't suggesting that the answer is to somehow recreate the Chris Moore effect. I merely said that the renewed hope his ownnership brought saw crowds begin to modestly rise again.

Not sure what point you're attempting to make about the club losing fans when Ronnie was manager, but I can say that the Ronnie period was just one, relatively short section of a period of the overall lack of success that has seen many people get so disillusioned that they are stopping attending BP regularly or at all.

Your last point is, quite frankly, an incoherent childish whinge. For one thing, I haven't said that the club's demise is imminent, just that the effect on attendances that being mired in this division, and the lessened chances that we will get the stadium redevelopment needed to make the club financially independent doesn't point to a healthy future for the club.

I'm far from the only one to use anecdotal evidence on here, BT. However an opinion is expressed, though, the statistics do suggest that after a modest boost in attendances after around 2001, many people who came back due to the evidence of some ambition coming out of the club during the Chris Moore and early TTA period have drifted away again,

So a load of glory supporters came when we were splashing the cash and buying decent players and winning games then stopped going when we were down to kids and journeymen, funny that.

to be joined by people who remained with the club through thick and thin (some of whom express their reasoning on here), due to the seeming hopelessness of the cause. Who can blame them after seeing the way the club has thrown away golden chances to advance in two seasons out of the last three and when there is some reason to suggest that the stadium redevelopment plan may well come to nothing?

Tis a shame but they are entitled to their choice. My personal opinion is that they are cutting their nose of to spite their faces, they want a successful team and the only way to get that is to give the club money, cut the money supply and the chances of a successful team decline but not my place to tell people how to spend their hard earned.

(This is not to suggest that the stadium plan wasn't sound on paper, or that TTA should have predicted the economic contraction; as others have noted, I haven't criticised TTA at all. Perhaps you should pay more attention to what you read instead of responding emotionally, as so many others do, to what they see as expressions of pessimism.)

I respond with what I think at the time in the minutes I skive from work. I haven't been called emotional for years, there are inanimate objects that have more emotions than I do.

We might be where we are ultimately for the reasons you say, but you know as well as anybody that it isn't quite that simple. It does nothing to alter the fact that gates have fallen alarmingly.

It is looking like the club is heading for the brown sticky stuff which is a shame but that is football, look at Bury, they have won the FA Cup but are now a tiddling little club. If Danny Boyle or another son of Bury decided to bung a few million their way I'm sure their attendances and results would improve, if that doesn't happen and their club is forced to sell it's best players they will slide back to their position over the last few years.

And only idiots write FACT after stating mere opinions.

I know, that's why I do it so often.

So a load of glory supporters came when we were splashing the cash and buying decent players and winning games then stopped going when we were down to kids and journeymen, funny that.

Tis a shame but they are entitled to their choice. My personal opinion is that they are cutting their nose of to spite their faces, they want a successful team and the only way to get that is to give the club money, cut the money supply and the chances of a successful team decline but not my place to tell people how to spend their hard earned.

I respond with what I think at the time in the minutes I skive from work. I haven't been called emotional for years, there are inanimate objects that have more emotions than I do.

It is looking like the club is heading for the brown sticky stuff which is a shame but that is football, look at Bury, they have won the FA Cup but are now a tiddling little club. If Danny Boyle or another son of Bury decided to bung a few million their way I'm sure their attendances and results would improve, if that doesn't happen and their club is forced to sell it's best players they will slide back to their position over the last few years.

I know, that's why I do it so often.

I'd say that gates rose modestly during the Chris Moore period mainly because fans who couldn't stomach the rapidity of the decline after 1994 came back with renewed hope. Most of these, I would say, remained during the resumed optimism of the early TTA period. There might be more reason to suggest that those who regularly attended BP during the PL days, only to fall away subsequently, were glory hunters although I find it hard to understand the mentality of those who don't seem to see the connection between sustaining a degree of success and building the kind of fan base without which mediocrity and decline is inevitable. It seems particularly strange when you then bemoan the effect that recent 'lapsees' are depriving the club of money.

I bet you in dark days of the 70s and 80s Latics fans were having exactly the same conversations....'' eeh lad, crowds are bit down these days....loads of regulars have stopped going....regulars who've been going for years ''

These 'regulars, die-hards, season-ticket holders' or whatever who stop going after 20, 30 years are nothing new as Corps seems to be saying....generally they'll get replaced by younger fans or lapsed fans who get the bug again.

Granted, in periods of little success the the new fans will be less and the stay-aways will increase, but what can we expect....if we start getting some success fans will come back...

FFS, there have been times when Bolton, Wolves and Burnley were getting 5,000

I'd say that gates rose modestly during the Chris Moore period mainly because fans who couldn't stomach the rapidity of the decline after 1994 came back with renewed hope. Most of these, I would say, remained during the resumed optimism of the early TTA period. There might be more reason to suggest that those who regularly attended BP during the PL days, only to fall away subsequently, were glory hunters although I find it hard to understand the mentality of those who don't seem to see the connection between sustaining a degree of success and building the kind of fan base without which mediocrity and decline is inevitable. It seems particularly strange when you then bemoan the effect that recent 'lapsees' are depriving the club of money.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes you are right, 100% right, even your farts convey more rightness than anything that comes out of my mouth or my keyboard.

There was I thinking I supported a small team that isn't doing that great but I still support them, some other people do and some other people don't. Personally I would like us to be in the Championship but if we don't get there we don't get there and I will rock up to BP with my flask and my blanket and reminisce about how it used to be all muddy potholes around here and you couldn't leave your phone on your dashboard as it would get nicked.

There is nowt as queer as folk, some go to football, some don't, some go when their team wins, some go when they are bad. It is also a chicken and an egg situation and you don't get success on our gates unless the owners stump up the cash to improve results so that the crowds improve. But the owners won't stump up the cash as the crowds don't flock to BP and it sounds like more fans aren't going to be there next season either.

So unless we get a golden goose that lays a golden egg then we are going to bumble along - I'm comfortable with that, I'm not in this for success, I'm in it as I made a stupid decision when I was a kid and have been stuck with this club ever since.

If the owners decide to try and kickstart something by selling Taylor or Smalley or Eardley for a wodge of cash to let them invest in some more players even more fans will stop going as some morons will complain that they are asset stripping and only in it for the money or the land.

At the end of the day though, it is only football.

If the owners decide to try and kickstart something by selling Taylor or Smalley or Eardley for a wodge of cash to let them invest in some more players even more fans will stop going as some morons will complain that they are asset stripping and only in it for the money or the land.

Joe's got a proven record in this sort of thing, I hope we do go down this route, probably the best way to fund the quality we need.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes you are right, 100% right, even your farts convey more rightness than anything that comes out of my mouth or my keyboard.

There was I thinking I supported a small team that isn't doing that great but I still support them, some other people do and some other people don't. Personally I would like us to be in the Championship but if we don't get there we don't get there and I will rock up to BP with my flask and my blanket and reminisce about how it used to be all muddy potholes around here and you couldn't leave your phone on your dashboard as it would get nicked.

There is nowt as queer as folk, some go to football, some don't, some go when their team wins, some go when they are bad. It is also a chicken and an egg situation and you don't get success on our gates unless the owners stump up the cash to improve results so that the crowds improve. But the owners won't stump up the cash as the crowds don't flock to BP and it sounds like more fans aren't going to be there next season either.

So unless we get a golden goose that lays a golden egg then we are going to bumble along - I'm comfortable with that, I'm not in this for success, I'm in it as I made a stupid decision when I was a kid and have been stuck with this club ever since.

Yes, yes, we've already established that you'll carry on attending BP no matter what while others won't, and that you accept that constant failure means decline. But so what?

For a long time going to Latics has become more of a social thing rather than a football thing, it was about meeting in the pub having a few beers, adjourning for the game and then back to the pub. And if I'm honest the away days were even better.

But now all the 'gang' I used to go with have one by one dropped off frustrated with what appears to be a lack of ambition and progress....... so these days even the social side has died and I'm not sure what keeps me going really. I did stop when I witnessed (Cardiff apart) the worst game I have ever seen at BP when we drew with Scunny in Ronnie's last game in charge. I missed the first few games of Shez's reign but was tempted back with all the talk of the decent football that returned. And for a while all was well, although I have to admit, my attendance for cup games has been very hit and miss.

But on Saturday, even under the great man, I got that feeling again; "What the :censored: am I doing here?" The players don't seem to care so much, so why should I?

I can't make Southend anyway....... so what worries me is how will I feel next August? I can see it could be the end of a 30+ year journey....... and it really pains me to say that.

"Pains you to say it"...???

Sorry but I don't believe you! Might feel and sound good to say it...just like many others who are shedding their tears in this post. I'm at a low ebb with the club, probably my lowest...I can't wait for the season to end. But a new chapter begins next August. Whether it's a fight to stay up or go up. My choice...yeah...sadly I've had to endure "our fans" for some years now. That was my choice too...these fans who have been calling the shots...and now it's gone all tits up...makes me laugh how you point out leaving after RM's last game and not instantly returning once YOU and many others got what they wanted. Moore out...the Messiah in...and yet, you really couldn't get there for the start and had to be persuaded by "all the talk of decent football"...

Reap and sow....reap and sow....stamped your feet....got what you wanted....and now the first to skulk off after reaping and sowing....

Predicted where we'd be...and when everyone cries off and most possibly TTA do wash their hands of us...where will we be?

Back to the likes of Diego_S, myself, current Trust Members, old SAFE and STR members etc etc etc all doing the same shift again....It does make me laugh when people throw the terms "superfan" and "whollier than thou" about...when all they are, are copout phrases.

So long to those who can't stomach it...

PS Corporal...YET AGAIN you come on, saying the same, professing about our stagnation. YET AGAIN however, you fail to give any hint of the solutions...I'm starting to think that you don't have any, nor feel there are any. Maybe you're quietly advocating the final closing of the gates. If not...try and break the record and give us something new eh!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I bet you in dark days of the 70s and 80s Latics fans were having exactly the same conversations....'' eeh lad, crowds are bit down these days....loads of regulars have stopped going....regulars who've been going for years ''

These 'regulars, die-hards, season-ticket holders' or whatever who stop going after 20, 30 years are nothing new as Corps seems to be saying....generally they'll get replaced by younger fans or lapsed fans who get the bug again.

Granted, in periods of little success the the new fans will be less and the stay-aways will increase, but what can we expect....if we start getting some success fans will come back...

FFS, there have been times when Bolton, Wolves and Burnley were getting 5,000

I'm not saying the phenomenon is new. I wouldn't be so complacent as to think that a club constantly renews itself, however. Times change; the football business is barely recognisable compared to only a couple of decades ago, with its financial structure making it less likely that smaller clubs will ever be able to have their moment in the sun. These days it seems that the only way a small club can transform itself is by having a benefactor with bottomless pockets. The rest are simply left to stagnate. This might result, when combined with a drawn-out economic contraction, in a host of smaller clubs going to the wall at some point in the not too distant future, or it might result in a deepening of the trend that's grown over the past two decades in which the gulf between the top two divisions and this one gets ever wider, with the clubs below second-tier level unlucky enough not to have insanely generous benefactors resigning themselves to a permanent situation characterised by low crowds, drab, inept football and deteriorating facilities for which they can either continue to charge laughable prices, or accept their fate as glorified semi-professional clubs and drop prices, thus shutting off any possibility of advancement forever.

There are clubs that have always known that they were destined to remain at the very bottom of the football pile forever. Despite the bad times, Latics were never that; we always retained the ability to dream of periods where things would be a little more interesting. It is this ability that has been eroded over the past fifteen years and we are seeing the result at the turnstiles. Times change; history doesn't usually repeat itself. A few more years of this and we are never going to get anything better.

Sorry but I don't believe you! Might feel and sound good to say it...just like many others who are shedding their tears in this post. I'm at a low ebb with the club, probably my lowest...I can't wait for the season to end. But a new chapter begins next August. Whether it's a fight to stay up or go up. My choice...yeah...sadly I've had to endure "our fans" for some years now. That was my choice to...these fans who have been calling the shots...and now it's gone all tits up...makes me laugh how you point out leaving after RM's last game and not instantly returning once YOU and many others got what they wanted. Moore out...the Messiah in...and yet, you really couldn't get there for the start and had to be persuaded by "all the talk of decent football"...

Reap and sow....reap and sow....stamped your feet....got what you wanted....and now the first to sulk off after reaping and sowing....

Totally agree...

Predicted where we'd be...and when everyone cries off and most possibly TTA do wash their hands of us...where will we be?

Back to the likes of Diego_S, myself, current Trust Members, old SAFE and STR members etc etc etc all doing the same shift again....It does make me laugh when people throw the terms "superfan" and "whollier than thou" about...when all they are, are copout phrases.

I hope your wrong but well said...

PS Corporal...YET AGAIN you come on, saying the same, professing about our stagnation. YET AGAIN however, you fail to give any hint of the solutions...I'm starting to think that you don't have any, nor feel there are any. Maybe you're quietly advocating the final closing of the gates. If not...try and break the record and give us something new eh!

To be fair he admitted he didnt really have the answer and to be fair again most of what he has said has been pretty much spot on...

I like what you say about this season ending and then a fresh start in August.....I totally agree... I need a bit of a brake but come August everything resets :) Thank god!

Yes, yes, we've already established that you'll carry on attending BP no matter what while others won't, and that you accept that constant failure means decline. But so what?

Perhaps you should pay more attention to what you read instead of responding emotionally, as so many others do, to what they see as expressions of pessimism.)

I think the same applies.

Game, set and match to me I think <walks off nonchalantly, whistling a catchy tune>