one in one out by Wed

Yes

Scored scunnys equaliser in last game of 2005/2006, then scunny made it permanent for 100k.

Then sold him back for a ridiculously inflated price

Ive said for a while that our yoof lacked desire and a backbone at times. I would never call them on matchday but think £100/200k for smalley would be a good bit of business. Also a good move for Smalley, would probably do him good.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive said for a while that our yoof lacked desire and a backbone at times. I would never call them on matchday but think £100k/200k for smalley would be a good bit of business. Also a good move for Smalley, would probably do him good.

We have to remember that this is a club in a division higher making a cash offer for a player in our team, it is odd that their scouts and management team see something in the lad that many of our fans don't, seems to be a pattern at our club.

We have to remember that this is a club in a division higher making a cash offer for a player in our team, it is odd that their scouts and management team see something in the lad that many of our fans don't, seems to be a pattern at our club.

Not saying for a min that he is a bad player. I just think he has had Shez for a coach for 6/7 years. I think the move would be good for him

Exactly, clearly has a lot of potential and yet everyone wants to seel him for next to nowt. You see players of similar ability going over 500k and yet we should be ready to flog for 200k? Same with Eardley, Gunter went for 3M and people are saying we should 'bite their hand off' (whoever they may be) if we get 500k-750k, absolute bollocks. No doubt these will be the same people complaining about us loaning in has been journeymen and calling for the manager to give the yoof a chance.

:lol:

You know Richie - your cryptic clues are truly abysmal.... dont be applying to write any crosswords anytime soon!

Smalley to the Lashers eh? Well, bit gutted about that, but hey ho... as i've said before, everyone in this team is expendable and up to Penney to say who has the personality to make up his team... but Billy Clarke would be a fantastic addition... Him and Pawel up front will do just fine....

I had to make the clue easy I know some blondes read this MB

Oh crap Allan is a blonde :wink:

Sometimes I think players need to be taken away from their comfort zones in order to thrive, and maybe Smalley is one of them. I don't think he's a bad player but I do think he needs to produce more consistently on the pitch.

He isn't a key man for us, and I think from £200-250K would see us fairly well done by if we can invest the money back into the squad - maybe buy a striker of quality to replace Hughes. All the same, I hope this isn't an "open for business" sign for our better youngsters. If Eardley or Taylor start being put forward for moves then I'd react differently.

Sometimes I think players need to be taken away from their comfort zones in order to thrive, and maybe Smalley is one of them. I don't think he's a bad player but I do think he needs to produce more consistently on the pitch.

He isn't a key man for us, and I think from £200-250K would see us fairly well done by if we can invest the money back into the squad - maybe buy a striker of quality to replace Hughes. All the same, I hope this isn't an "open for business" sign for our better youngsters. If Eardley or Taylor start being put forward for moves then I'd react differently.

We are open for business. Eardley and Taylor are for sale, just no one has met our price yet.

£200k for Smalley is good business.

To sell either of those though the price has got to be absolutely right. If we get rid of Smalley for between one and two hundred grand - which I expect - then we are selling at the bottom of the price range. Not got an issue with that because Smalley has never quite convinced me, but with Taylor and Eardley that cannot be the case and if they go it has to be because the offer was too good to turn down...

To sell either of those though the price has got to be absolutely right. If we get rid of Smalley for between one and two hundred grand - which I expect - then we are selling at the bottom of the price range. Not got an issue with that because Smalley has never quite convinced me, but with Taylor and Eardley that cannot be the case and if they go it has to be because the offer was too good to turn down...

Yes but your, mine and the clubs version of 'too good to turn down' will be widely varying.

Made me angry reading Sky last night. Kyle Naughton set to leave blades..slap £5million on talented youngster.

Then will be over hill with a £500k bid for Taylor and we will accept within a week... ok the blades are a division up but we appear to just give them away, compared to others in ANY financial climate.

Who have we given away in recent years? Which of our youngsters have gone from the club for a low fee and made an even bigger name for themselves?

There'a a danger that this is another myth that gains ground and is used as a stick to beat the club with.

In fact, in recent seasons we've turned down bids for Taylor and for Porter - and in the latter's case that money we could have got in the January window would have been very useful.

The money we got for Trotman represented a great bit of business at the time too, especially if we can bring him back on a season-long loan (or until January).

I've not got any issues with the club's actions with regards the young players we've produced - and even if don't make a huge amount on Smalley I would point to the fact that Naughton is regarded much more highly. BUT... as a simple point of fact Taylor and Eardley are hugely important to us and can't be released cheaply.

Should Smalley be sold for £200k? Should Taylor be sold for £1M?

The way I always ponder these questions is to consider the scenario of whether I would want Latics to spend that much on the player. If not, surely sell?

If Latics had £200k burning a hole in their pocket I wouldn't want to see it splashed out on Smalley, therefore I would sell him.

Of course you would decline if you feel you can get more - but be careful to not scare away the buyer!

Today's Chron mentions within the Eardley Article, that Michael Bridges has been released by Hull. I appreciate that there is a loose link to the Dean Windass story (why on earth this guy is still getting mentioned in Oldham is beyond me?!) but it seems just a little too random. Like maybe, it's not random at all?

If Latic's aren't interested in him and the Chron's padding out column inches with tales of reserve strikers being released from the likes of Hull City, I think its days are numbered. Or is that obvious anyway?