moving ground rumour

Readig betweent he lines:

Bury. FCUM keeps them alive, so unlikely to want them out.

Stockport a slim chance but

Rochdale at Ferney Field.

Share with Rochdale, ORLFC & hornets at Ferney Field or Royton?.

Proper agreement rather than tenancy, and ech side a designated home end to call their own colours?

Or seperate joined pitch for Rugby ala Sports Park. Maybe something that could open up the adjoining terrace in the event of a big game.

We wouldn't need a 15,000 seater for 95% of the games.

AS SC says good enough for AC and Inter. Which is a very valid point.

That would make financial sene, the only major down side is identity.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting stuff in that interview with SC.

It would seem we're not really any clearer on the ground front - all options are still open. Would I support a groundshare? Grudgingly, if there was no viable alternative.

TTA not being around in ten years time is an interesting one. I can certainly see it in terms of "we'd like to think we've implemented our business plan by then". If and when they do sell up, I wonder how they'll feel about having fulfilled their ambition of owning a football club? Never again, or who's next?

I'm glad SC has said what he has about sacking Ronnie. Doing so for the reasons they did was a mistake, and a very expensive lesson in exactly how much the board should listen to fan power. I was no great fan of Ronnie's style, but he deserved another season.

He doesn't rank the lows, but I suspect the lowest point of all was sacking Shez. As SC says it had to be done, but having tried so many management options and knowing they had to pick someone, stand by them and give them as much time as they could, it must have felt particularly hard to see nearly 3 years ultimately go to waste.

"We won't be doing this for another ten years, there's no question," he said. But he added that they will only sell to the right buyer and believes it is `realistic' for fans to expect that when that time comes the club will be in the Championship playing before crowds of more than 10,000."

Do Gigg Lane and Spotland even hold 10,000?

Because there are no pig farms there anymore. Never lived there, but I drink over there occasionally. It can be quite pleasant if you can put up with the armchair ManUre 'fanatics.'

Had mixed feelings when the last pig farm closed - it was run by family friends. Spent many a summers day down there as a kid.

[/offtopic]

Not reall much in the article that as not been said before, initially the writer would have you think with the headline OLDHAM Athletic could move out of town and will be sold within the next ten years.

Nothing new in the story really,

Simons says ... we could share

we could build a new ground

we could re-develop BP

He added: "Would I want to go to somebody else's ground? Of course not, because you start to lose your identity. But we are in an unsustainable environment at the moment.

Think a lot of clubs would say the same thing at present, the location we lay (with so many clubs in short driving distance) will always open talk regarding ground sharing...

Could go on.... but it chip wrapper now

Do Gigg Lane and Spotland even hold 10,000?

Yes, to both.

Surely this can only really be Dale, as the others are too far away.

Would Dale want to move? Re-sale won't be much on the current site. The ground is easily enough for them, and quite tidy now. I can't think why they'd be interested.

Yes, to both.

Would Dale want to move? Re-sale won't be much on the current site. The ground is easily enough for them, and quite tidy now. I can't think why they'd be interested.

... and it's co-owned by Hornets and RMC so they'll have something to say about it

As far back as I can remember Wigan were in the Northern Prem and not the Cheshire league. Given I am (cough) now considered long in tooth that's far enough back for anyone!

Prior to them gaining FL status, I can't remember them in anything but the NPL either. My comment was a (very) oblique reference to the Wigan dolts who used to haunt JKL and claim that 'we built up our club from a Cheshire League outfit.'

Guest sheridans_world

Next to nothing has been said, all speculation, just like on here.

All "could's" and "mights" and "possbily this" and "maybe that".

However the ground-share is a new one. I think a groundshare would be a good idea. It would obviously have to be a total new-build as neither club would want to move to an existing stadium. It makes financial sense, s'long as both clubs have an even input into the cost of the ground (Where would Rochdale get the cash? - Sale of Spotland?) It would also have to be at least 15000 seats, with room for expansion. If we (or Rochdale for that matter) get promoted to the championship, we should be able to cope with 15000 initially, where-as if we only had 10,000 both clubs would have to stump up cash to expand the ground.

At least if it was Rochdale, all the seats would be blue... no differing home colours!

Food for thought or a diversion tactic away from the real plans?

Yes, to both.

I think OS that Hornets are on very shkay ground financially. And Rochdale are not backed like we are.

So really the main interest inf £'s.

which also I think is the only real interest for us.

In effect, half the cost, but not neccessarily half the profits. Becasue the stadium is not owned by outside-co you get all the revenue match days.

That said, I think our stadium is still owned by an outside company.

So it willb e intersting if that is still part of the plan, that Latics own at least part of the ground.

Sell two sites.

Develop one.

Makes a lot of sense, especially if ongoing maintenance costs are shared.

I can't see two football teams and two rugby teams playing on the same turf without destroying it though.

Edited by opinions4u

Well run but eternal basement division dwellers and always will be.

Must not bite, must not bite, :censored:, I've bitten.

So their last two season of reaching the play-offs despite selling their better players doesn't indicate an upward spiral?

Must not bite, must not bite, :censored:, I've bitten.

So their last two season of reaching the play-offs despite selling their better players doesn't indicate an upward spiral?

No. You lose the play-offs and you stay in the same division, as we know. Might as well have finished 19th.

What's 'fishing' about the comment about Rochdale? It's true. You can run a tight ship but you stand still. Simple as that.

By raising the "threat" of gound sharing with what enevitably would lead to merger, then the move to Failsworth or outside the Borough would then become more acceptable.

Can't help but commence to think that TTA are rejecting investors not for Latics reasons but more for personal reasons.

By raising the "threat" of gound sharing with what enevitably would lead to merger, then the move to Failsworth or outside the Borough would then become more acceptable.

Can't help but commence to think that TTA are rejecting investors not for Latics reasons but more for personal reasons.

Perhaps. It's a fairly bizarre interview when you think about it.

QUOTE (BP1960 @ Jul 6 2009, 10:18 AM)

New stadium ground share a possibility too with Rochdale or Bury according to the above Manchester Evening News report.

Or Stockport, maybe as along shot??

Latics/Stockport stadium in Ashton ?

Tameside has no football league clubs so it might be a possibility, and unlike Oldham their council usually has no problem with new develoment ideas.

The 2 clubs even merge and be renamed Latics County. :shock:

Edited by BP1960