The Insider

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my take:

The trust are an elected body of individuals who represents the fans. In this case (please correct me if I'm wrong) they are not elected by the fans, they are nominated and seconded into their role. I might be speaking out of line here, but that stuff is for the Rotary Club and the Masons. To truly represent the constituents, one must be selected from a formal decision-making process by the electorate. Namely, in this case, the sodding fans. Whether they are paying trust members or not. Just because the large percentage of Latics fans don't pay a subscription fee to the Trust, doesn't mean they can't have a say in their clubs' direction.

We need candidates. We need a ballot. Now.

I know for a fact that the majority feel on this website is bucking the trend in the real world. I speak for the many fans who are very skeptical about the move to Failsworth. Boundary Park has been our home for over 100 years, are we going to walk away that easily? It's a :censored: hole at the moment, but it's our home - please rebuild it give it a life. 100 years of history is going to be blown away from a load of Americans and their puppets? And we are going to let them do it so easily? We need a voice at the club that isn't attached to a nodding head.

This is a bit sentimental, I'm not sure it makes much sense but take the Lookers instance: many of you have fond memories of the Broadway stand, I know I have. If you remember it was pulled it down in readiness for redevelopment at BP, for those who sat in it - it was our place in the footballing world over the years. That's all changed now and I feel cheated out of one of the reasons I went to BP, last season I sat in every other stand and I hated it. It will never be replaced now.

I suppose this is all a bit emotional, but we shouldn't be so easy to accept the current or existing state of affairs from these people. As I have said somewhere else away from this forum:

[The TTA] When you've gone we'll all be still here, because this is our club - not yours - it never was and it never will be.

Brilliant post Rummy, will the Trust and TTA listen? Will they bollocks!

As you say if the Trust are not speaking up for the fans, there's plenty of us willing to go it alone and form our own fans group. For a start we should get our £200,000 back, we've been lied to by both TTA and the Trust, how many of the current trust board stood in the rain shaking buckets? Because most of the lads I stood with want nothing to do with the trust and that says it all. I think the Rotary club/Masons comment is spot on. I referred to the Trust some years ago an 'Anonymous Gentleman's club' looks like I hit the nail on the head. Too many people on the Trust enjoy feeling 'important' when in reality they do sod all. But it gives them the opportunity to feel superior to other fans, which is wrong. Everyone should be pulling together to fight this move instead the fans body set up and paid for by every Oldham Athletic fan is used for one or two individual's own end, thus leaving 99.9% of the club's fans base in the dark.

As I said after planning permission was rejected (before others passed off the idea as their own) time for direct action. Who's up for a march to let TTA know just how we feel about their 'take it or leave it option?' Not a march against TTA but against the move. And to let the Trust know they are no longer representative of the fanbase of Oldham Athletic FC, and in the eyes of many are obsolete.

Edited by oafcprozac

This is my take:

The trust are an elected body of individuals who represents the fans. In this case (please correct me if I'm wrong) they are not elected by the fans, they are nominated and seconded into their role. I might be speaking out of line here, but that stuff is for the Rotary Club and the Masons. To truly represent the constituents, one must be selected from a formal decision-making process by the electorate. Namely, in this case, the sodding fans. Whether they are paying trust members or not. Just because the large percentage of Latics fans don't pay a subscription fee to the Trust, doesn't mean they can't have a say in their clubs' direction.

I know for a fact that the majority feel on this website is bucking the trend in the real world. I speak for the many fans who are very skeptical about the move to Failsworth. Boundary Park has been our home for over 100 years, are we going to walk away that easily? It's a :censored: hole at the moment, but it's our home - please rebuild it give it a life. 100 years of history is going to be blown away from a load of Americans and their puppets? And we are going to let them do it so easily? We need a voice at the club that isn't attached to a nodding head.

This is a bit sentimental, I'm not sure it makes much sense but take the Lookers instance: many of you have fond memories of the Broadway stand, I know I have. If you remember it was pulled it down in readiness for redevelopment at BP, for those who sat in it - it was our place in the footballing world over the years. That's all changed now and I feel cheated out of one of the reasons I went to BP, last season I sat in every other stand and I hated it. It will never be replaced now.

I suppose this is all a bit emotional, but we shouldn't be so easy to accept the current or existing state of affairs from these people. As I have said somewhere else away from this forum:

[The TTA] When you've gone we'll all be still here, because this is our club - not yours - it never was and it never will be.

*applause*

The Trust should seek to represent all fans, including non-members, as far as is practicable in every decision it makes. It needs to work an awful lot harder to promote itself and the role is has.

As for TTA, frankly, I think it's a bit bloody much to expect us to accept a stadium proposal that is based more on an exit strategy that's favourable to them, rather than what's best for the long-term future of the club.

This is my take:

I know a lot who feel the way you do about the Lookers. At the time, I agreed it needed to come down (despite the fact I'd miss nipping into the Royle Bar afterwards for a few pints) as I felt it'd save TTA some money on upkeep and that it was the prelude to the redevelopment beginning. Oh how wrong I was. It was just a way of Quinns paying us back some money they owed us that TTA were never going to get in cash.

Like you've said...100yrs of history. Liked I've said...lower league-dom secured for us by TTA's exit strategy. They'll be gone...we'll be left locked into our fate...would've been nice to be asked if we wanted Failsworth or a smaller redevelopment or them to sell lock, stock! Presented the facts about the cost of a smaller redevelopment. Presented the facts over where putting us up for sale has occurred (full sale, not investment.) TTA came promising transparency...I thank them for writing the cheques (that will always be repaid in the long run) but they've been as clear as mud at times.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Who are you marching for, because you wouldn't be marching for me and a lot of fans who are for the move.

That's bollocks, you're in the minority. I know hundreds of Latics fans and nearly every one ranges from being very sceptical about the move to downright against it. Still there will plenty of room for you won't there?

Remember Coco this forum hosts a small minority of opinion on all things Latics. Speak to people in person and they reveal their true feelings.

Edited by oafcprozac

That's bollocks, you're in the minority. I know hundreds of Latics fans and nearly every one ranges from being very sceptical about the move to downright against it. Still there will plenty of room for you won't there?

Remember Coco this forum hosts a small minority of opinion on all things Latics. Speak to people in person and they reveal their true feelings.

Even the Trust are fragmented over the move...They just won't admit it on here.

Remember Coco this forum hosts a small minority of opinion on all things Latics. Speak to people in person and you they reveal their true feelings.

I know there are some of my mates who are for Failsworth but when they listen to what I say, they go quiet. Then they reply "let's wait and see what TTA come up with for down there"...That's all well and good. I understand what they mean by that but it still doesn't change the fact it'll be in direct competition with 2 clubs who'll be sharing trophies for the next couple of decades which will directly impact our fanbase. It still doesn't tackle the issue that we'll be down there with TTA looking to get out and asking the same question "who will buy us?" When people say this, do they expect me to believe that a new potential invester would rather invest in a club where someone else has spent all their money, time and effort building a new stadium and pay top whack for it once it's built? Investors buy based on potential...not on a ready-made product. In my eyes, we'll be less of a "catch" when we move...not more of one!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

There was what, 10% between for and against with the poll on here, you say this site doesn't represent the feeling of the majority of fans yet it's a very good cross section of fans and that poll is valid.

The majority of people I talk to only worry is the extra travelling.

If opposition is so strong, where have been the letters to the chron, I swear only Oldhan fans could see a new stadium as a bad thing.

I know there are some of my mates who are for Failsworth but when they listen to what I say, they go quiet. Then they reply "let's wait and see what TTA come up with for down there"...That's all well and good. I understand what they mean by that but it still doesn't change the fact it'll be in direct competition with 2 clubs who'll be sharing trophies for the next couple of decades which will directly impact our fanbase. It still doesn't tackle the issue that we'll be down there with TTA looking to get out and asking the same question "who will buy us?" When people say this, do they expect me to believe that a new potential invester would rather invest in a club where someone else has spent all their money, time and effort building a new stadium and pay top whack for it once it's built? Investors buy based on potential...not on a ready-made product. In my eyes, we'll be less of a "catch" when we move...not more of one!!!

But haven't the manc two always effected us, is a move of four miles really going to worsen it?

But haven't the manc two always effected us, is a move of four miles really going to worsen it?

If you need to ask that, with the way Oldhamers follow us then I'm at a loss! And when you've got the heirachy claiming we're tapping into a new market, you start to wonder how thick they think we are!

As for TTA, frankly, I think it's a bit bloody much to expect us to accept a stadium proposal that is based more on an exit strategy that's favourable to them, rather than what's best for the long-term future of the club.

TTA aren't going to redevelop BP - they can't afford it and they can't afford to wait

The future depends on leaving the club as an attractive proposition - it's apparently been for sale for a while (Wardle?) and no-one has come to buy.

So how do you propose to alter what TTA want to do? - all other options have been considered and Failsworth is the only viable one to TTA.

What happened at the meeting to discuss the move? I didn't go and I don't remember what the outcome was.

Im going to step forward here and suggest a meeting for the fans organised by the TTA. That way it allows all (probably most) the fans off here, and those who dont use the internet to get together and ask questions/given answers (hopefully) by the TTA and trust board members to set the record straight (if it would do that). I know we had the meeting at radcliffe but i feel its an apt time for another and just for the fans to do what i mentioned?

:blink: I will have to read this a few times to get your point, you have obviously taken second hand comments about certain issues and formed an abstract opinion of anything near the truth

I've not taken second-hand comments I've taken yours/Barrys and pulled you up on it. I'm obviously not the only one to have noticed that a man who claims to be elected unanimously in a election that wasn't properly organised, has more holes in it than a swiss cheese and in which those members (i.e. the board members- which frankly is a ludicrous way of doing things) entitled to vote were not fully present is not really elected. Do you have a mimimum number of board members present rule or is it the meetings this date 3 board members can turn up 3 board members get to vote for the most important position for the fans at this club. This brings me back to one of my points if I was Barry I would have deliberately called the meeting for when I knew some people were not able to turn up- this way he is virtually guaranteed re-election and can boast about being elected unanimously.

The trust does not represent a significant % of Oldham fans (I think its a majority) as they (like me) are not members. The trust board is elected by those members of the trust who can be bothered to turn up to AGMs and judging by some of the comments on here those memebers who know the elections going on- which isn't 100% of them. The trust chairperson is only electable by those members of the board able to go to the meeting (which is not all of them- as some have other commitments). That means that at most 12 people (its more likely 9 or 10) can vote for the person who supposedly represents the fans- Saddam Hussein was more democratically elected than that. I've seen elections at school level better organised- which is quite frankly appalling. Its quite simple Change your election process now or be prepared to be hounded out of the club by the fans you claim to represent- despite a lot of the good work you've done in the past.

You said that various members of the trust board are approachable and availible to ask questions- I pointed out that if I had any questions I can't ask them because I don't really know anyone on the trust board and rarely see them at matches (I'll admit I don't go to every game but I go to enough) and I'm not going to travel 240+ miles on a weeknight just for the pleasure of asking them.

You said that Barry's position doesn't give him all that many perks- and I said with some quite valid reasoning that OK maybe Barry is out of pocket from his position but he is no where near out of pocket as much as you claimed because he gets a free season ticket in the posh seats with a free lunch thrown in. (Something I hope he would pay for if he wasn't trust chairman).

What yours and Barrys comments have done though is ensure that the trust has a much better turn out for the next meeting- (which I hope in light of a lot of the criticsms on here is an EGM where every body on the trust board position is up for re-election- I doubt that will happen though). That means more people will pay their subs (or become new members) and the trust can have more money to line the pockets of TTA. At least that way I might actually know someone on the trust board as oppose to them being a bunch of faces who I vaguely recognise (or in some cases not at all) from games.

There was what, 10% between for and against with the poll on here, you say this site doesn't represent the feeling of the majority of fans yet it's a very good cross section of fans and that poll is valid.

The majority of people I talk to only worry is the extra travelling.

If opposition is so strong, where have been the letters to the chron, I swear only Oldhan fans could see a new stadium as a bad thing.

I think one nights meeting does not constitute a consultation process, it needed to sink in - and what you are witnessing now is the skeptics asking the question after digesting the statements the club have announced.

A lot of it is the location don't forget, come on - I'm assuming that a new stadium is on everybody's Christmas list. The move to Failsworth has been given a strapline by Hardy - Tapping Into A New Fanbase. There is no evidence to suggest that a move to the other side of Oldham and deep into 0161 land will attract any more fans than the piss poor marketing of the club is attracting now. There seems to be a misconception that this will fix a lot of the things that's wrong with the marketing and the commerce and the attendance, and the fortunes of the club. In actual fact there is no evidence at all. What Hardy said at the meeting has all of a sudden been given some substance from somewhere, but where? It means absolutely nothing.

I'm not asking for a march either, what I am doing though is appealing to the fans to at least think about what facts have been presented at this stage and whether or not it all stacks up.

And as for polls on here well, I can't stop opposition fans casting a vote - or to a lesser extent exiles, although as Latics bretheren they do have a say, they still be travelling almost the same distance to watch - I'm not sure if exiles will see much difference .

It's Boundary park and the fans closest to it that I immediately care for, and those fans are the ones we are at most risk of losing.

I think one nights meeting does not constitute a consultation process, it needed to sink in - and what you are witnessing now is the skeptics asking the question after digesting the statements the club have announced.

A lot of it is the location don't forget, come on - I'm assuming that a new stadium is on everybody's Christmas list. The move to Failsworth has been given a strapline by Hardy - Tapping Into A New Fanbase. There is no evidence to suggest that a move to the other side of Oldham and deep into 0161 land will attract any more fans than the piss poor marketing of the club is attracting now. There seems to be a misconception that this will fix a lot of the things that's wrong with the marketing and the commerce and the attendance, and the fortunes of the club. In actual fact there is no evidence at all. What Hardy said at the meeting has all of a sudden been given some substance from somewhere, but where? It means absolutely nothing.

I'm not asking for a march either, what I am doing though is appealing to the fans to at least think about what facts have been presented at this stage and whether or not it all stacks up.

And as for polls on here well, I can't stop opposition fans casting a vote - or to a lesser extent exiles, although as Latics bretheren they do have a say, they still be travelling almost the same distance to watch - I'm not sure if exiles will see much difference .

It's Boundary park and the fans closest to it that I immediately care for, and those fans are the ones we are at most risk of losing.

At this stage, if i'm honest neither am I. What I am asking for is for the Trust to realise they are far from representative of the fans at the moment, Barry Owen et al hold a position of privilege funded by people like me. Membership of the Trust should be free, the current system is a closed shop - nothing less than a clique within a clique. I know they need to rasie funds but do that by hosting events not by having the cheek to charge a membership fee when us Average Joe's raised over £200k just so Bazza and his chums could meekly hand it over for a token 3% that in essence is worth sod all. Anything of value was immediately ring-fenced into Brassbank.

The Trust needs to open up and take on board and fight for our questions to be answered and our fears to allayed.

As for TTA they need to realise they won't steamroller us into a move that may seal the club's fate. There might only be 3,500 home fans turning up week in week out but a large part of the local population care about the club, they've just been priced out or become disiilusioned by a club going nowhere. 2,000 people were rallied in no time to protest in November 2007, underestimate the people of Oldham at your peril.

Do those advocating staying at BP really believe someone is going to come in and redevelop it? I dont mean this in a sarcastic manner at all, a serious question. A lot of people dont want the move, I'm personally for it at the moment because I see no substance behind the argument to stay at all, but I am interested in opinions on why staying put is going to benefit the club. People say its going to be the death of the club if we move. I would say the same about staying.

Do those advocating staying at BP really believe someone is going to come in and redevelop it? I dont mean this in a sarcastic manner at all, a serious question. A lot of people dont want the move, I'm personally for it at the moment because I see no substance behind the argument to stay at all, but I am interested in opinions on why staying put is going to benefit the club. People say its going to be the death of the club if we move. I would say the same about staying.

They are trying to leave us in a Stadium yes, but with no gaurantees of survival at all. Infact, far from it. And they get their returns and leave.

There is another option...it isnt winding up the club...it's selling to another party...one with fresh desire which TTA have lost, one willing to pump in the cash to make Oldham Arena/Sportspark or whatever happen. We've got land that clubs would kill for around the country. We can do this one to death all we like...simply put...TTA won't be here in a few years time after they do what they came to do from day one. They wanted to do it at BP but have spent so long and so much fighting the council that they've seen the better land deal become selling BP and moving to Failsworth. It gives us no guarantees of survival at all, infact, endangers us further (this you'll highly disagree on and is the sole sticking point in our beliefs!) but all for a higher profit. More so than staying at BP and making it work. So I'm fast coming around to the idea of wanting them to hand the batton over and recoup what they've put in.

Edited by boundaryblue80

But all that depends on whether you believe Wardle when he says the clubs been available for sale, which I assume you don't.

I don't...which I told him yesterday (plus a few other things.)

I believe cash injection has been sought. Infact I know it has. We don't know why they failed, we can only guess. I don't for a second believe they want to sell lock & stock without seeing through the land deal. Why would they? That's why they came here...yes, they wanted us to succeed on the pitch too, I've no doubt of that. Then the deal could be done relative to our success. That's not happened...exit strategy in play. We could be cynical...or downright racist and say bluntly they're Jewish Businessmen who'll take the option with most profit. They could be a Chris Moore and leave us with nothing. Thankfully they're much better than that and at least they'll leave us with a stadium. But a future though? They won't be here so for them, that doesn't matter.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I have personally on two occasions tried to hold Question and Answer forums for fans to meet people on the trust and ask questions. In each case no one was interested !!! Many of you on Owtb know who myself, Simon and Barry are and you know that we will stop talk or meet up for a chat if anyone as any need too. I can not force anyone to attend forums we try to arrange but we are always open to meet and chat !

The Trust supports OAFC were and when it is needed, when the club ask for help and we can assist that is what we do.

Does the Trust support and stadium move, Yes it does, if the move is right for the club !

Would Trust Oldham rather stay at Bp, then again Yes as a collective body of people we would. Our emotions tell us we dont want or need to move but in reality we do !

I will repeat my earlier comment here:

I try to call meetings time after time but no one wants to attend, At the last meeting I organised. Hardy and Corney were penciled in too attend to answer ST prices and The new Development questions along with the Sales Director of the finance company that does the pay monthly ST's.

If a fans forum is wanted I WILL ORGANISE one again, there are many comments made on here that are false and bordering on personal.

I am a member of the Trust Board, I do not know one other board member who thinks he/she is a superior fan or person for holding that position

The Trust has had many difficulties, these have been identified and given priority to fix.

While many on the Trust have difference of opinion on many of Latic related issues, when a decision is needed to be made a vote is taken and the motion is only passed with a majority. At this time any objectors can make it clear for the meeting minutes that they object but this has never been done while I have been a board member.

I speak to AH like many fans can do and relay comments from fans, I even forward emails to him that I recieve. Barry Owen is far from a yes man and will of no doubt fell out with TTA on many of things but like all politics you cant take things personal, you have to play the game and use your next advantage to appease any other votes you many have lost.

Tapping into a new fanbase is 100% manure, bollocks!!!! - We would only bring in an extra 50 people to a game maximum!

Bounday Park is old and dying, its been our home for 100 years but we cant afford to stay here !!!

The club have no resources at Bp, is this a reason why we DO NOT HAVE a commercial dept, one of !!! We need a commercial dept and need one quick, I have told the club I know many people who have been angered to the point were they will not invest or sponsor the club because they have been let down by a department that doesnt exsist.

When making important decisions, emotion has to be put to the side to see the features and benifits of any proposal.

Boundary Park and the land surrounding it is worth money, this is now starting to be tapped into by an outside development company who have approached Blitz and said, lets develop housing togther, obtain cheap materials and labour and use the current economical situation to our advantage and build these houses now and create revenue that can help with the vision TTA have for a new Home of OAFC.

Before anyone thinks I am 100% behind the move from Bp to Failsworth, I will make MY stance clear !

I want to stay at Bp, I want want to redevelop the stadium and have the Hotel and Health club attached with some nice flats and houses surrounding it!!! Thats what my heart wants, so if any of these guys wants to step forward and make my dream come true I will get my wish

THE BILLIONAIRES

1. William Gates III

2. Warren Buffett

3. Carlos Slim Helú

4. Lawrence Ellison

5. Ingvar Kamprad

6. Karl Albrecht

7. Mukesh Ambani

8. Lakshmi Mittal

9. Theo Albrecht

10. Amancio Ortega

11. Jim Walton

12. Alice Walton

13. Christy Walton

14. S Robson Walton

15. Bernard Arnault

16. Li Ka-shing

17. Michael Bloomberg

18. Stefan Persson

19. Charles Koch

20. David Koch

Type Simon Blitz into the Forbes rich list ... He is nowhere to be found !

As fans we have to work with what we have, that is on the pitch and off it. OAFC has a business needs to be redevelpment not just the stadium. The club need to look at its module and identify were it is going wrong, because even Stevie Wonder can see we are going wrong in most directions.

A move to another stadium is needed with our current OAFC businesss module, one that is 4 miles away from our curent home is not ideal unfortunatley but essential to ensure the club has every chance to survive.

Lets not make any mistake, moving to Failsworth is better for TTA and no one else, the plan to move the club and its ground has been taken in order to ensure TTA will not be left not being able to sell the club on has a going concern when and if they decide to leave.

I want my club to be a going concern for any potential buyer, the question should be when we move, will the club have a revenue stream to be self sufficient, will our club be able to operate and make money on a daily basis unlike we do presently and only make money on match days !!!

No one is short sighted enough to think that TTA dont want to make the money back that they have spent on us plus a little more for there efforts !!

My only ask and priority is that the club they leave behind is a club better than they bought. Failsworth isnt ideal but travelling 4 more miles is better than not having a club at all or contiuning to stay at Bp and watch the place fall apart around us.

OAFC is for sale just like my House, my car bloody hell my girlfriend (for enough Camels :D ) at the right price almost anything in life is for sale.

Some of the people on the Trust board may have not been holding the buckets in the rain in 2004 but they are dedicated to make sure that no OAFC fan ever has to hold a bucket for the club again rain or shine !