The Insider

Unless you think we don't live in a capitalist economy then you should... The banks are a prefect example of how capitalising works... The banks take risks, and get massive rewards... Every now and then (not just recently) one will go pop.... The exact same applie to every business...

If you just concentrate on survival you will not grow... If you don't grow then in real terms you are only ever going backward...

Bloody hell, this is the basics of how a business works :)

Aren't you arguing, further up this very same thread, that you're more than just a customer? That's because your club is more than just a business.

If you seriously think that the club you support should be run in the same manner as banks, in terms of risk, then I am seriously at a loss...

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't you arguing, further up this very same thread, that you're more than just a customer. That's because your club is more than just a business.

No I wasnt... Someone was telling me I was just a customer though... Maybe that is what has confused you...

If you seriously think that the club you support should be run in the same manner as banks, in terms of risk, then I am seriously at a loss...

Dont worry... thinking conceptually is clearly difficult for you...

Basically...OAFC is a business... and like any business if you dont plan for growth your going to be in trouble...

I havent had chance to fully digest all the comments on this thread but I will make some points clear from my point of view, of some points at this time

All Trust AGM's are placed in the Oldham Chronicle and on the Trust website, meetings have been mentioned on Owtb also when we get given the dates.

By the regulations that form a Trust, 14 days notice have to be given of an AGM to allow for people to stand for a trust position.

The chairpersons position was fairly re-elected, You have to be a member of the board to stand for the position, everyone who attended the AGM and was a board member was given the opportunity to stand.

A RON vote was taken into consideration when accepting new nominations to the board, new members of the board were taken on and persons did leave the board in rotation.

I have personally on two occasions tried to hold Question and Answer forums for fans to meet people on the trust and ask questions. In each case no one was interested !!! Many of you on Owtb know who myself, Simon and Barry are and you know that we will stop talk or meet up for a chat if anyone as any need too. I can not force anyone to attend forums we try to arrange but we are always open to meet and chat !

The Trust supports OAFC were and when it is needed, when the club ask for help and we can assist that is what we do.

Does the Trust support and stadium move, Yes it does, if the move is right for the club !

Would Trust Oldham rather stay at Bp, then again Yes as a collective body of people we would. Our emotions tell us we dont want or need to move but in reality we do !

We have to ask ourselves WHY we have to move stadiums ! The current owners can not fund and new stadium on its present site, they are not some billionaires, Blitz and Danny are two wealthy guys but they cant build a new stadium to the the tune of £30,40,50 million.

TTA can not afford to sit on the current site and wait and see if the economy picks up in 2,3,4 years time. Boundary Park is an old dying stadium, the RRE is the only stand modern enough to cater fans for a match day experience that we all crave!

The running cost of Bp is still £200k plus a year, OAFC lose money everyday because we cant not use the clubs facility in a commercial sense.

OP is right, TTA are not going to be for ever, but they have always said that when they leave they want to leave OAFC in a better state than when they bought the club. A new Stadium with cleared debts is a whole lot better position than the summer of 2004.

Many fans think they know what TTA are planning to do and how they are going about it, in truth some details of the clubs future plans do come out quicker than the club would like, but anything ANY trust member knows or finds out is dealt with in the best way that is appropriate to the situation. Many people think this is not the correct way to do things but to ensure regulations and proposals are adhered too, things have to be done in certain ways.

People keep saying the Perks of Barry Owen, can anyone shed any highlight on what these are, other than the ones I will mention now;

One Seat in the Directors Box for home games, drinks and some nibbles at half time !

Some would say the Prestige of being a football club director

What Barry doesnt get!

Away match tickets

Away travel expenses

Telephone bills paid for while doing club business away from Bp

Expences to travel the area on Club or Trust business,

Hourly rate of pay for attending club meeting on behalf of the Trust or club matters

This isnt an Barry Owen appreciation thread, but knowing what Barry does, good bad and ugly I can make fair comment on the things he does and make valid points of his conduct which many people cant because they hear things by second hand sources or make judgment by reading internet message boards.

This article was written by a Owtb staff member who doesn't know Barry and isnt a Trust member !

A few things have changed within the last 2 weeks with the Trust that has been done to help the Trust move forward and become more available.

We know there have been commuication problems, we hold our hands up to that, we have lost some trust directors due to ill health, unemployment, changes in job circumstance and unfortunatley we lost Jim earlier this year in more ways than one !

The two main points were are wanting to improve is the membership and website

I will from the 1 st October be looking after Trust membership, Dave Hudson after many years of spinning many plates has given me the task of IMPROVING the membership and what the TRUST can offer you the fan !

New Trust memberships will be 3 tiered,

1. £5 trust Member
  2. £10 Trust member+ that will give trust members features and benefits *
  3. Trust membership - Gold **

* Trust membership + will give Trust members a range of discounts at Oldham based companies ranging from 5 -25 % off the final price of items bought or services taken - more to follow

** Gold membership is the continuation of the current membership of the intial £5 membership and were members have a SO set up donate regularly.

edit to add .... If OAFC or any Football club is run as a business and risks are taken they you end up like

Leeds

Luton

Charlton etc

we tried that once !!!!!!!! NEVER AGAIN

OAFC has a buiness plan for growth at the rate of development that enables it to do so and thrive and be sustainable

TTA can not afford to sit on the current site and wait and see if the economy picks up in 2,3,4 years time. Boundary Park is an old dying stadium, the RRE is the only stand modern enough to cater fans for a match day experience that we all crave!

The running cost of Bp is still £200k plus a year, OAFC lose money everyday because we cant not use the clubs facility in a commercial sense.

In you post above you say we HAVE to move because TTA can not afford to rebuild BP...As BB80 stated... If TTA can not afford then selling the club is a real option....

Edited by oafc0000

No-one knows how many Trust members there are......

I went to the AGM when several posters on here were elected to the Trust board approx 18 months ago. I hadn't paid my subs - so I produced my Trust membership card and a fiver and handed these across to the membership secretary (no names) who said he'd update his records and post a new card back to me. Not seen anything since.There's probably 1800 who have ever paid into the Trust, 300 who have a valid membership card and 500 who remember what the Trust stands for. I still count myself as a Trust member but I'm not giving any more money to some bloke in a bar who says he's got something for me.

If you believe there's some disparity in the books you should report it to the Police.

In you post above you say we HAVE to move because TTA can not afford to rebuild BP...As BB80 stated... If TTA can not afford then selling the club is a real option....

From the comments made by Blitz on many occassions in my opinion the club has been for sale for a few years.

When TTA bought the club, economically the world was in a more secure state of affairs.

TTA have lost money like everyone else,

TTA cant not afford to rebuild Bp and develop the club how they once wanted granted and if they recieved an offer I believe they would sell

I have personally on two occasions tried to hold Question and Answer forums for fans to meet people on the trust and ask questions. In each case no one was interested !!! Many of you on Owtb know who myself, Simon and Barry are and you know that we will stop talk or meet up for a chat if anyone as any need too. I can not force anyone to attend forums we try to arrange but we are always open to meet and chat !

OP is right, TTA are not going to be for ever, but they have always said that when they leave they want to leave OAFC in a better state than when they bought the club. A new Stadium with cleared debts is a whole lot better position than the summer of 2004.

cheers Rich. Just to clarify - I have said that TTA are looking to leave which they themsleves have stated. I also support the move to Failsworth - it's the only realistic choice for the owners to make. It may not be perfect but for TTA it's better than the other options including redeveloping BP. I also think that there is a different view of a football club depending on who you are - fans have an emotional attachment which other people concened with clubs may not have. The current business owners have a plan to leave with the club in a good state - fans concern is what happens afterwards as a result of decisions made now. THat's why I think a revampoed (!) Trust is vital now. And - can I have a new membership card?

The Trust supports OAFC were and when it is needed, when the club ask for help and we can assist that is what we do.

Does the Trust support and stadium move, Yes it does, if the move is right for the club !

Would Trust Oldham rather stay at Bp, then again Yes as a collective body of people we would. Our emotions tell us we dont want or need to move but in reality we do !

We have to ask ourselves WHY we have to move stadiums ! The current owners can not fund and new stadium on its present site, they are not some billionaires, Blitz and Danny are two wealthy guys but they cant build a new stadium to the the tune of £30,40,50 million.

the main questions are the location picked and the self sufficiency issue.

the issue to move is purely TTA choice-so to fully maximise their investment and leave.

secondly,i know for a fact some trust members HAVE voiced their concerns -very strongly,but statements saying "all is rosy "won't wash. these people have asked the same many here have asked,but no answers given.

the way its being rushed along and no real explanation,updates etc given is disconcerning.

like the old saying goes..."we're just like mushrooms..kept in the dark and fed on bull:censored:".

is it any wonder people are asking WTF is going on?

You won't find someone willing to fund the loses whilst waiting for the market to pick up, and if you do there reasons for buying the club will be even more shady than some of think TTA's are

All Trust AGM's are placed in the Oldham Chronicle and on the Trust website, meetings have been mentioned on Owtb also when we get given the dates.

By the regulations that form a Trust, 14 days notice have to be given of an AGM to allow for people to stand for a trust position.

The chairpersons position was fairly re-elected, You have to be a member of the board to stand for the position, everyone who attended the AGM and was a board member was given the opportunity to stand.

A RON vote was taken into consideration when accepting new nominations to the board, new members of the board were taken on and persons did leave the board in rotation.

People keep saying the Perks of Barry Owen, can anyone shed any highlight on what these are, other than the ones I will mention now;

One Seat in the Directors Box for home games, drinks and some nibbles at half time !

Some would say the Prestige of being a football club director

What Barry doesnt get!

Away match tickets

Away travel expenses

Telephone bills paid for while doing club business away from Bp

Expences to travel the area on Club or Trust business,

Hourly rate of pay for attending club meeting on behalf of the Trust or club matters

This isnt an Barry Owen appreciation thread, but knowing what Barry does, good bad and ugly I can make fair comment on the things he does and make valid points of his conduct which many people cant because they hear things by second hand sources or make judgment by reading internet message boards.

This article was written by a Owtb staff member who doesn't know Barry and isnt a Trust member !

Wardle- I'm sorry for cutting up your post but otherwise this post would be massivley long.

The trust advertised its meetings in the Chronicle and on its website- well done. Did it advertise its meetings on here? Did it say in these adverts that positions would be availible via elections- especially the chairmans? Advertising in the Chron is great if you live in Oldham but it is :censored: poor for those members who don't, I've said this time and time again on here when will the club learn that the Chron is :censored: advertising for anyone outside Oldham- there are large parts of Greater Manchester left untapped because the club don't advertise properly. I have an interest in the trust but I've been on its website about 3 or 4 times in the past year- and that has been mainly to see if I recognise any of the faces of the directors. I know what Barry looks like, I've an idea what you look like Wardle (but I'm unsure) and I've met Simon (aka Sherdian's World) once- Walsall away 2 seasons ago, I've never seen him at a game since (not saying that he doesn't go but that I don't see him-despite sitting in the same stand).

A cynical person could say that yes Barry was elected fairly with a RON candidate but if you have to be a board member to stand for chairperson it is quite easy to manipulate the vote- say you know board members X,Y,Z are all on holiday in 4 weeks time and that one is likely to stand for chairperson and the other two would vote for them- do you not think it possible that since the AGM only has to have 14 days notice you call for it in 2 weeks time for 2 weeks hence (i.e. in 4 weeks time). That means that board members X, Y, Z won't be there- board member A now has other commitments leaving board members B, C, D etc. (B being Barry) the only ones around and so B is elected. Plus was the election of the chairperson the last thing done giving new board members the ability to stand or was it the first thing done so that the board members newly elected at the same meeting (or was it recruited) could not stand.

Being able to have a free seat and all the food/drink you want at home games is worth over £400 (£500 if you eat/drink a lot). That is a lot that Barry would probably pay out himself if he wasn't the trust director. I don't know how many away games Barry goes to- but I doubt its all of them (he'd have said differently if it was when I pulled him up on this a few months ago). The money he saves by having a free ticket in some much more comfortable seats (compared to what we plebs get) can go towards the other expenses- I'm not saying he makes money from being the chairperson of the trust but he isn't out of pocket as much as you are trying to make out.

Barry has probably done a good job whilst being chairperson of the trust- being the main factor behind signing Lee Hughes (despite that not quite working out) probably out does all the negative things he has done. However, unless we plan to sign McCormack (the ex-Plymouth goalie) when he gets out in a few years I doubt Barry can help us sign anymore players. If Barry carries on as chairperson of the trust though in a few years his legacy will be not as the bloke who signed Lee Hughes but as the bloke who sat meekly in the corner whilst the club unpopularly moved down the road. But then again maybe that's wht he got eleceted.

Not good enough Ritchie. Every member who have provided membership money and email address should have been made fully aware that the election was to take place. Hell I even asked a Trust board member did he kbow that the election had taken place, do you know what his answer was? I'll tell you, NO. It stinks and don't bother coming my way for money.

No I wasnt... Someone was telling me I was just a customer though... Maybe that is what has confused you...

Dont worry... thinking conceptually is clearly difficult for you...

Basically...OAFC is a business... and like any business if you dont plan for growth your going to be in trouble...

Yes, I do struggle to keep up with you; what a pathetic response.

I still believe your post alludes to a belief that you're more than just a customer, unless you actually believe you can rightly expect a refund for the poor product.

Obviously, I understand, and fully appreciate, that the nature of business is that there are risks associated with aspirations. I'm not saying that the club shouldn't take any risks but it should be balancing act between aspiration and the level of associated risk.

Yes, I do struggle to keep up with you; what a pathetic response.

Sorry if you didnt like the response but its not my fault if your incapable of following a thread.....

I still believe your post alludes to a belief that you're more than just a customer, unless you actually believe you can rightly expect a refund for the poor product.

Again, not my fault if you cant follow a simple thread... If I was just a customer I would of stopped buying the product back in 94...and I wouldnt of just handed over hundreds of pounds when the club was in the :censored: for pretty much nothing in return...

Obviously, I understand, and fully appreciate, that the nature of business is that there are risks associated with aspirations. I'm not saying that the club shouldn't take any risks but it should be balancing act between aspiration and the level of associated risk.

Totally agree...

I do feel that some people have become so scared of risk though that they are resigning the club to a slow death...

Edited by oafc0000

Why are we any different to what Wigan are demographically??? Other than a Dave Whelan we're no different in terms of our pulling support. To say 12,000 and lower-leaguedom is all we ever aspire to be is a f***ing joke...you think that's going to get people heading down to Failsworth? Especially with 2 Manchester clubs on our doorstep sharing titles between them. At this rate, we'll be able to see our fanbase decline as each one of us pops our clogs coz if that's our aspirations we won't be adding any to it! But then...this is TTA's aspirations...but they won't be here in 5yrs or even less!!! So we should just sit here, accept it, allow that planned for future to lock ourselves into lower leagues forever to happen??? No thanks!!!

We've never been a more saleable asset than now...debt free...land...we've said "who would come in and buy us"...I bet they said that at Springfield Park all them years ago. I want the club, lock and stock up for sale. Not this "we're looking for a cash injection." If TTA don't want to redevelop or show why a scaled down version of a redeveloped BP can't work then I want them to put us up for SALE...let tem re-coup their losses and more (which they will) and give someone else a shot!!!

I certainly don't support this locking ourselves into this level for eternity. But then as another poster on here alludes...something is going on behind the scenes.

CFC2

Well, the demography is different in that Wigwam have a younger support. Ours is older. It's about when success has happened. Ours happened nigh on twenty years ago, theirs is now.

As for the rest, the club consists of:

:censored:heap stadium.

Third division club.

No land (that belongs to others now).

If you think you can do something about your club heading in the wrong direction, go for your life. I think you're wrong and won't back you. But, hey ho - see how it goes.

Edited by wardlelatic

the main questions are the location picked and the self sufficiency issue.

the issue to move is purely TTA choice-so to fully maximise their investment and leave.

secondly,i know for a fact some trust members HAVE voiced their concerns -very strongly,but statements saying "all is rosy "won't wash. these people have asked the same many here have asked,but no answers given.

the way its being rushed along and no real explanation,updates etc given is disconcerning.

like the old saying goes..."we're just like mushrooms..kept in the dark and fed on bull:censored:".

is it any wonder people are asking WTF is going on?

Pick another location other than Bp that would sustain a stadium and development ?

Your right the decision to move is the choice of TTA, end of the day they own the club and want to do the best to make it work within what they can afford

The person you refere to had the explaination of his concerns explained, he isnt happy about the move and that is an opinion he and every fan is entitled too.

You won't find someone willing to fund the loses whilst waiting for the market to pick up, and if you do there reasons for buying the club will be even more shady than some of think TTA's are

AGREE 100% - If some billionaire Arab wants to buy us, let him/her come forward... I would eat sheeps eyes at ever game if that would help :wink:

Wardle- I'm sorry for cutting up your post but otherwise this post would be massivley long.

The trust advertised its meetings in the Chronicle and on its website- well done. Did it advertise its meetings on here? Did it say in these adverts that positions would be availible via elections- especially the chairmans? Advertising in the Chron is great if you live in Oldham but it is :censored: poor for those members who don't, I've said this time and time again on here when will the club learn that the Chron is :censored: advertising for anyone outside Oldham- there are large parts of Greater Manchester left untapped because the club don't advertise properly. I have an interest in the trust but I've been on its website about 3 or 4 times in the past year- and that has been mainly to see if I recognise any of the faces of the directors. I know what Barry looks like, I've an idea what you look like Wardle (but I'm unsure) and I've met Simon (aka Sherdian's World) once- Walsall away 2 seasons ago, I've never seen him at a game since (not saying that he doesn't go but that I don't see him-despite sitting in the same stand).

A cynical person could say that yes Barry was elected fairly with a RON candidate but if you have to be a board member to stand for chairperson it is quite easy to manipulate the vote- say you know board members X,Y,Z are all on holiday in 4 weeks time and that one is likely to stand for chairperson and the other two would vote for them- do you not think it possible that since the AGM only has to have 14 days notice you call for it in 2 weeks time for 2 weeks hence (i.e. in 4 weeks time). That means that board members X, Y, Z won't be there- board member A now has other commitments leaving board members B, C, D etc. (B being Barry) the only ones around and so B is elected. Plus was the election of the chairperson the last thing done giving new board members the ability to stand or was it the first thing done so that the board members newly elected at the same meeting (or was it recruited) could not stand.

Being able to have a free seat and all the food/drink you want at home games is worth over £400 (£500 if you eat/drink a lot). That is a lot that Barry would probably pay out himself if he wasn't the trust director. I don't know how many away games Barry goes to- but I doubt its all of them (he'd have said differently if it was when I pulled him up on this a few months ago). The money he saves by having a free ticket in some much more comfortable seats (compared to what we plebs get) can go towards the other expenses- I'm not saying he makes money from being the chairperson of the trust but he isn't out of pocket as much as you are trying to make out.

Barry has probably done a good job whilst being chairperson of the trust- being the main factor behind signing Lee Hughes (despite that not quite working out) probably out does all the negative things he has done. However, unless we plan to sign McCormack (the ex-Plymouth goalie) when he gets out in a few years I doubt Barry can help us sign anymore players. If Barry carries on as chairperson of the trust though in a few years his legacy will be not as the bloke who signed Lee Hughes but as the bloke who sat meekly in the corner whilst the club unpopularly moved down the road. But then again maybe that's wht he got eleceted.

:blink: I will have to read this a few times to get your point, you have obviously taken second hand comments about certain issues and formed an abstract opinion of anything near the truth

Not good enough Ritchie. Every member who have provided membership money and email address should have been made fully aware that the election was to take place. Hell I even asked a Trust board member did he kbow that the election had taken place, do you know what his answer was? I'll tell you, NO. It stinks and don't bother coming my way for money.

Your right they should, no excuses other than the person who took on that job on had a massive change in employment circumstances and didnt want to ask for help. Im now in the process of getting everything sorted by the 1 Oct

Please text me the Board member who didnt know the AGM was happening because the only ones who were not there are the people who live down south. We have regular communications by call or email so I can say they are mistaken !!!!

Unfortunately, I completely agree.

We didnt have the email details at the time, we used all media facilities that the largest spectrum of members use to advertise the AGM, there will be another AGM within the next 8 weeks I will make sure that everyone knows about it.

We didnt have the email details at the time, we used all media facilities that the largest spectrum of members use to advertise the AGM, there will be another AGM within the next 8 weeks I will make sure that everyone knows about it.

To late. Try it in another 5 years time! so how many was this unanimous vote made by? 5 or 6 people? it stinks and you know it does.

Pick another location other than Bp that would sustain a stadium and development ?

Your right the decision to move is the choice of TTA, end of the day they own the club and want to do the best to make it work within what they can afford

The person you refere to had the explaination of his concerns explained, he isnt happy about the move and that is an opinion he and every fan is entitled too.

so,its failsworth or doomed? nice choice..but i think it could become a doomed/doomed situation.

hearing some details last night that are planned,i'm still not convinced failsworth is the right area..

"pick another location.." the TTA should be continuing to seek out other locations..but hearing from last night,that too late,its been settled-failsworth it is.

oh.." The person you refere to..." it was person's' ...not person.

but my comment stands..as i now know its more than the 2 i know aren't happy,its still a case of what barry says ,the trust does.

the trust is a toothless waste of time.

so,its failsworth or doomed? nice choice..but i think it could become a doomed/doomed situation.

hearing some details last night that are planned,i'm still not convinced failsworth is the right area..

"pick another location.." the TTA should be continuing to seek out other locations..but hearing from last night,that too late,its been settled-failsworth it is.

oh.." The person you refere to..." it was person's' ...not person.

but my comment stands..as i now know its more than the 2 i know aren't happy,its still a case of what barry says ,the trust does.

the trust is a toothless waste of time.

I think your being kind...

This is my take:

The trust are an elected body of individuals who represents the fans. In this case (please correct me if I'm wrong) they are not elected by the fans, they are nominated and seconded into their role. I might be speaking out of line here, but that stuff is for the Rotary Club and the Masons. To truly represent the constituents, one must be selected from a formal decision-making process by the electorate. Namely, in this case, the sodding fans. Whether they are paying trust members or not. Just because the large percentage of Latics fans don't pay a subscription fee to the Trust, doesn't mean they can't have a say in their clubs' direction.

We need candidates. We need a ballot. Now.

I know for a fact that the majority feel on this website is bucking the trend in the real world. I speak for the many fans who are very skeptical about the move to Failsworth. Boundary Park has been our home for over 100 years, are we going to walk away that easily? It's a :censored: hole at the moment, but it's our home - please rebuild it give it a life. 100 years of history is going to be blown away from a load of Americans and their puppets? And we are going to let them do it so easily? We need a voice at the club that isn't attached to a nodding head.

This is a bit sentimental, I'm not sure it makes much sense but take the Lookers instance: many of you have fond memories of the Broadway stand, I know I have. If you remember it was pulled it down in readiness for redevelopment at BP, for those who sat in it - it was our place in the footballing world over the years. That's all changed now and I feel cheated out of one of the reasons I went to BP, last season I sat in every other stand and I hated it. It will never be replaced now.

I suppose this is all a bit emotional, but we shouldn't be so easy to accept the current or existing state of affairs from these people. As I have said somewhere else away from this forum:

[The TTA] When you've gone we'll all be still here, because this is our club - not yours - it never was and it never will be.

Sorry if you didnt like the response but its not my fault if your incapable of following a thread.....

Again, not my fault if you cant follow a simple thread... If I was just a customer I would of stopped buying the product back in 94...and I wouldnt of just handed over hundreds of pounds when the club was in the :censored: for pretty much nothing in return...

Totally agree...

I do feel that some people have become so scared of risk though that they are resigning the club to a slow death...

That's right, dear. I'm incapable of following a thread and you're not contradicting yourself.