Don't complain at our admittance prices

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TTA have stated in an interview on Latics Player (so no reading between the lines there, just reading the actual lines) that "we wont be around forever".

I don't think from that it takes a great 'leap of faith' to see that the stadium move is an 'out' for them, whilst giving them a chance to recoup losses incurred during their time at the club.

What worries me is what we will be left with after they are gone.

P.S.

You forgot the bandwagon reds (which is all of them).

You or I wont be around for ever either. Without a time scale we can only surmise. until there is a firm date and firm plans to call it a day. Leap of faith is just another way of reading between the lines.

Ha bandwagon Reds ... I know one from Salford .. he should be a city fan !!!

+ 1

If all those that can predict the future are to be believed then we really are in the brown stuff.

From this thread alone:

- We have a 12K stadium that is not allowed to hold 12K and to suit arguments is now no longer 12k but a 10k capacity, source - no one "just trust me" was quoted.. Ok then :huh:

- We will be playing in sub 3000 crowds yet the same thread says a 12K seater stadium is no where near big enough

- We are heading towards the confrence in the next couple of years

- TTA are ready going to shaft us all after spending 5 years with the club

- We can forget about the plans for expansion, even though TTA have been quoted as saying that the ground will be build with the option to expand..TTA are lying

This move has to happen, agreed, but ( and this is only my opinion ), definitely not to Failsworth.

If City and United are Top 2 and dominating the Champions League, then they will be charging a lot for tickets and the grounds will be full of rich and/or corporate supporters.

This will put these clubs (further?) outside the practical reach of many families in the Oldham/Manchester area.

A new ground with a good metro access and comparitively cheap tickets may become an attractive proposition for the youngsters of City / United supporters in the future - and could long term increase our fan base.

With the state of BP over the last 10 years, and particularly at the momnet, I believe it puts people off. Only the hardcore, committed Oldham fan is willing to put up with the facilities on offer (and even some of them are giving up) - so we have no chance of tempting other people there.

Anorther outcome of this move could be increased attendances from areas that would have never thought about attending Oldham before - but the combination of location and facilities might provide a tempting alternative football experience to those that cannot afford the Premiership.

My personal preference would be a new ground on the current location, but if that is not financially viable then I think a good quality stadium in Failsworth with good public transport and parking can ensure a long-term future for us.

If City and United are Top 2 and dominating the Champions League, then they will be charging a lot for tickets and the grounds will be full of rich and/or corporate supporters.

That is a BIG if....

My personal preference would be a new ground on the current location, but if that is not financially viable then I think a good quality stadium in Failsworth with good public transport and parking can ensure a long-term future for us.

My main concern is just about what external revenue generating things will be built and what percentage of the profits will go towards the running / safety of the club...

The current proposal for football pitches and conference facilities falls well short of providing enough money to keep the club running. I might be wrong, but I am looking to the TTA to show this stuff before we move.

You or I wont be around for ever either. Without a time scale we can only surmise. until there is a firm date and firm plans to call it a day. Leap of faith is just another way of reading between the lines.

Ha bandwagon Reds ... I know one from Salford .. he should be a city fan !!!

Believe me I am a big fan of the TTA and what they have done for Latics.

What worries me is that their legacy will be to leave us in a Stadium in Failsworth that most of the fans don't want.

Believe me I am a big fan of the TTA and what they have done for Latics.

What worries me is that their legacy will be to leave us in a Stadium in Failsworth that most of the fans don't want.

I know what your saying but the official statement has always to leave a self sufficient club.. as for most fans .... I doubt that is the view of even 10% but its just me, I think a fan of the club just wants what I want ... to continue watching my team play competitive league full time football. After all you can only choose to support the club or not too .. for those thinking of going elswhere.... ?? I mean what is that all about.. OLDHAM ATHLETIC are my team ... the rest is a little irrelivant

I know what your saying but the official statement has always to leave a self sufficient club.. as for most fans .... I doubt that is the view of even 10% but its just me, I think a fan of the club just wants what I want ... to continue watching my team play competitive league full time football. After all you can only choose to support the club or not too .. for those thinking of going elswhere.... ?? I mean what is that all about.. OLDHAM ATHLETIC are my team ... the rest is a little irrelivant

I agree 100%, Latics are my club and I will watch them at BP or in Failsworth.

I personally just really do not think a move to Failsworth is the best thing for the club in the long term.

I agree 100%, Latics are my club and I will watch them at BP or in Failsworth.

I personally just really do not think a move to Failsworth is the best thing for the club in the long term.

Im not sure if it will or wont .... But I do know I cant change it. I respect your feelings and your pint of view even if I dont agree. I think the thread benifits from differing opinions, but to miss quote or worse make stuff up really gets my goat, and Im sure it does you too

I agree. However I think the top two divisions have moved up a level. The Premiership is a whole new division above the one we were in. The Championship has also moved up a level, but not quite as far as the Prem. Leagues 1 and 2 are still the same as they were. Promoted teams to the Prem and the Championship struggle if they don't have the resources to improve the squad. Unfortunately we fall into that catagory and I'm afraid could never survive in the Championship for long. WE need 20,000 people through the gates on a regular basis to have a chance in the Championship, and that's never going to happen even if we had a 25,000 seat capacity ground. The only reason that I think the capacity should be around 20,000 is for the odd cup game where we could cash in.

Two things wrong with that. First, there are a number of clubs surviving in the Championship on average gates of less than 20000. Second, there are clubs in similar towns to Oldham who manage to attract 20000 fans. It's because those clubs did enough to make watching them an attractive prospect.

It isn't aiming high that will kill this club but resignation to eternal fourth-rateness.

isnt it depressing eh, for us fans who can see what mess the club will be in WHEN we move to Manchester

the sad reality is, TTA build us a league 2 ground, (albiet shiny) with quite possibly a league 2 team playing in it, and ride off into the sunset saying 'if it wasnt for us and the recession you wouldnt have a club'

ive come to the point where ive just got to accept that this is happening, same old Oldham - second best or nothing at all

And Barry Owen said it will be used for concerts, what Chaz and Daves reunion tour - get a grip :disappointed:

The sad truth. No doubt about it.

And not only that-further decline will commence almost immediately.

+ 1

If all those that can predict the future are to be believed then we really are in the brown stuff.

From this thread alone:

- We have a 12K stadium that is not allowed to hold 12K and to suit arguments is now no longer 12k but a 10k capacity, source - no one "just trust me" was quoted.. Ok then :huh:

- We will be playing in sub 3000 crowds yet the same thread says a 12K seater stadium is no where near big enough

- We are heading towards the confrence in the next couple of years

- TTA are ready going to shaft us all after spending 5 years with the club

- We can forget about the plans for expansion, even though TTA have been quoted as saying that the ground will be build with the option to expand..TTA are lying

It isn't a matter of lying. There probably will be room for expansion at the site. It will never take place, however, because the small-time ambitions indicated by the 12000 capacity guarantee further decline.

Think about it. There are already enough people who have walked away from BP in despair, disgust or disillusion. There seems to be nothing the current regime at the club can do to get them back. When it becomes clear that Championship ambitions have been dropped (it will, of course, never be officially declared-quite the opposite), more will be joining them. Look at people like me. I'm one of a small group of very long-term supporters who met up on matchdays for years and years. There is only me left of that group. If it becomes absolutely clear that the club has resigned itself to permanent lower division existence, I will, after 37 years, definitely be joining those who are walking away. I won't ever follow another club-I'll simply learn to ignore football altogether.

How many more will there be?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

This will put these clubs (further?) outside the practical reach of many families in the Oldham/Manchester area.

A new ground with a good metro access and comparitively cheap tickets may become an attractive proposition for the youngsters of City / United supporters in the future - and could long term increase our fan base.

With the state of BP over the last 10 years, and particularly at the momnet, I believe it puts people off. Only the hardcore, committed Oldham fan is willing to put up with the facilities on offer (and even some of them are giving up) - so we have no chance of tempting other people there.

Anorther outcome of this move could be increased attendances from areas that would have never thought about attending Oldham before - but the combination of location and facilities might provide a tempting alternative football experience to those that cannot afford the Premiership.

It isn't primarily the facilities that puts people off watching Latics. It's the mostly poor football, lack of ambition, the half-hearted attempts at promotion, and, for the more far-sighted, the manner in which the club's historical chance to move up a level in terms of stature in the game was squandered.

It is unlikely that the Manchester clubs will permanently occupy places one and two in the PL and both be hosting regular Champions' League games. They will, however, continue to exert the same pull on the same loyalties of at least the same number of people as they do at present. Why would the permanent lower division existence indicated by the small capacity being proposed for Failsworth be able to compete with them? Who but hardcore supporters will shell out today's admission prices for going-through-the-motions third or fourth division football, when you can watch quality football for nothing in the pub even if you don't go to a game?

The only thing that will get Oldhamers (or anybody else) watching Latics is a genuine attempt at promotion and clear ambitions of not only staying in the Championship but thriving in it.

The sad truth? Not one bit of 'truth' has been posted, just scaremongering to the extreme.

What some call scaremongering are predictions based on the trends of more than a decade. Take away the false dawns and it's clear that this club has been settling into a permanent lower-division berth since Warnock left. The current stadium proposal simply takes it all to its logical conclusion.

As I've said-you will see.

There may well be a number of people initially attracted to a new stadium. They will not, however, be Latics fans but novelty fans, and unless something spectacular is happening on the pitch, that novelty will rapidly wear off.

But everybody knows this. Don't they?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

There may well be a number of people initially attracted to a new stadium. They will not, however, be Latics fans but novelty fans, and unless something spectacular is happening on the pitch, that novelty will rapidly wear off.

a few of us on here know that, others choose to ignore it

there is also a few who think the stadium will be full of priced out Man City fans - which is ridiculous

why will Man City fans be any different to Man U fans, in the scence that they will buy a replica shirt and sit in a pub to watch them

Wont the same happen though if we got promotion and then consoldated in the championship with a 15k stadium

Wont the same happen though if we got promotion and then consoldated in the championship with a 15k stadium

It might. But there'd be a lot better chance of keeping novelty fans if the club won promotion and looked as if it meant business in the Championship. It would be a club with a sense of momentum about it. Kicking around doing routine stuff in this division, or slipping into the one below, just won't have the same effect.

As I said-we know this, though. Don't we?

In any case-we've already been told we're not getting a 15k stadium. (Wasn't it supposed to be 16k until the Brave New World of Failsworth was unveiled?) We're getting a 12k Colchester-style effort that will have an actual capacity of 10000-odd, that screams small-timeness.

a few of us on here know that, others choose to ignore it

there is also a few who think the stadium will be full of priced out Man City fans - which is ridiculous

why will Man City fans be any different to Man U fans, in the scence that they will buy a replica shirt and sit in a pub to watch them

Why would priced-out Man City fans suddenly develop a liking for OAFC? In the days of cheap admission prices, large numbers of supporters of the Manchester clubs used to come to BP for big games. Most of them were from areas bordering Oldham or thereabouts. We just didn't arouse the same kind of sympathies in most of those in other, more far-flung parts of the city. To them, we were just another milltown club like Bolton, Bury or Rochdale. It will be the same for any 'priced-out' City fans-they will be from all over the place. Latics will hardly register for them.