Don't complain at our admittance prices

Well it has actually, as they have had a two sided ground for a fair few years and when the latest stand is finished will still only have 3 sides.

Looking at the average crowd stats for Blackpool is interesting......

League 1 2002/3 6992

League 1 2003/4 6326

League 1 2004/5 6031

League 1 2005/6 5819

League 1 2006/7 6876 Promotion season

Champ 2007/8 8860

Champ 2008/9 7863

Champ 2009.. 8410 This season

The crowds were in steady decline during the seasons leading up to the promotion campaign where the average jumped up by about 1000 probably based on the undefeated run during the last dozen or so games. The first season in the championship saw an increase of 2000 but they struggled to compete and the following season the average had dropped by 1000. They have started well this season with only 1 defeat in the league and the crowd is up by 600 from last season bearing in mind they have already played Newcastle at home where they achieved the present capacity.

What I'm trying to say is ......even in a new stadium with good facilities the crowds, at our level, will still be almost totally influenced by the performance of the team and very little else.

If we move to Failsworth we may see an initial boost in attendances, but, if we remain in this division, (with it's lack of northern clubs) and show no real intent to progress I fear the crowds will continue to fall away. I reckon TTA will want out fairly quickly after our relocation and unless they can find a buyer who will commit to major investment over the next few years I can't see a real future for the club.

Seriously..............If you wanted to buy a football club with potential for reasonable success, why the hell would you choose a club who reside within 5 miles of the two richest premiership clubs in England.

For this reason, I really can't see any way that TTA will be able to sell the football club.

In the short term a move to Failsworth will give the club a bit of a boost but long term I really, really, fear for the clubs survival.

Re-development or a move is absolutely vital for the future of this club but I feel a move to Failsworth will be an absolute disaster!!!!

Amen :pray:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The move (or non-move) aside- we are not the only ones who seem to be charging a bundle for this division. As emphasised by a question about 2/3 the way down the page on this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8270287.stm Leeds are charging £450 for a adults season ticket (which doesn't look good for their prices for our game- probably even more than last year). Season ticket prices dictate match prices and whilst the likes of Notlob, Wigwam etc. can have cheap prices I can't see PLC or Citeh doing the same because they don't have to. Cheap season ticket prices means that you have to sell more to cover your costs and it also means that some fans might do a bit of picking/choosing because the number of games they need for value is lower- so atmosphere when you really need it (i.e. in small games) is less. If our prices were the cheapest in the division (for seating)- and they can't be too far off going off some of the away prices- would we sell more or would we just have people turn up to Hudds/Leeds who might well be turning up anyway (and who we probably still wouldn't sell out our allocation). Football is a business and its about making money- its growth in popularity and huge TV contracts mean that some of it filters down to the player level so those teams who don't make a great deal from TV (anyone outside the Prem and recently relegated Prem) still has to pay good wages. Sky may have got themselves into a pickle though because people are cancelling sports packages because of the economic situation so this could be the biggest contract and wages might drop thereafter for those mediocre players- even at Prem level- as the clubs aren't making the sort of money that makes it sensible.

At the moment even if TTA left having sold up Boundary Park and what not we still have two assets- Chris Taylor and Micah Richards. Richards has the potential to make us enough money that the potential of which adds value to the club (say 1/3 of the 15/20% we get)- some business man might see this as enough reason to buy Oldham- if they've always wanted to own a football club. The problem we have is if we get a good offer for Taylor and he goes before TTA sell- making them more money and if Richards is sold by Citeh as well leaving us with not a lot.

Well it has actually, as they have had a two sided ground for a fair few years and when the latest stand is finished will still only have 3 sides.

Looking at the average crowd stats for Blackpool is interesting......

League 1 2002/3 6992

League 1 2003/4 6326

League 1 2004/5 6031

League 1 2005/6 5819

League 1 2006/7 6876 Promotion season

Champ 2007/8 8860

Champ 2008/9 7863

Champ 2009.. 8410 This season

The crowds were in steady decline during the seasons leading up to the promotion campaign where the average jumped up by about 1000 probably based on the undefeated run during the last dozen or so games. The first season in the championship saw an increase of 2000 but they struggled to compete and the following season the average had dropped by 1000. They have started well this season with only 1 defeat in the league and the crowd is up by 600 from last season bearing in mind they have already played Newcastle at home where they achieved the present capacity.

What I'm trying to say is ......even in a new stadium with good facilities the crowds, at our level, will still be almost totally influenced by the performance of the team and very little else.

If we move to Failsworth we may see an initial boost in attendances, but, if we remain in this division, (with it's lack of northern clubs) and show no real intent to progress I fear the crowds will continue to fall away. I reckon TTA will want out fairly quickly after our relocation and unless they can find a buyer who will commit to major investment over the next few years I can't see a real future for the club.

Seriously..............If you wanted to buy a football club with potential for reasonable success, why the hell would you choose a club who reside within 5 miles of the two richest premiership clubs in England.

For this reason, I really can't see any way that TTA will be able to sell the football club.

In the short term a move to Failsworth will give the club a bit of a boost but long term I really, really, fear for the clubs survival.

Re-development or a move is absolutely vital for the future of this club but I feel a move to Failsworth will be an absolute disaster!!!!

You could say that about the whole borough. Would it make much difference if the new ground was 10 miles away instead of 5?

We won't do a Peterborough. It isn't in the plan. If the plan was to do a Peterborough, there would be a Championship-level capacity being proposed in the first place. The fact that there isn't indicates that there is no serious intention of getting out of this division and staying out of it.

I agree. However I think the top two divisions have moved up a level. The Premiership is a whole new division above the one we were in. The Championship has also moved up a level, but not quite as far as the Prem. Leagues 1 and 2 are still the same as they were. Promoted teams to the Prem and the Championship struggle if they don't have the resources to improve the squad. Unfortunately we fall into that catagory and I'm afraid could never survive in the Championship for long. WE need 20,000 people through the gates on a regular basis to have a chance in the Championship, and that's never going to happen even if we had a 25,000 seat capacity ground. The only reason that I think the capacity should be around 20,000 is for the odd cup game where we could cash in.

isnt it depressing eh, for us fans who can see what mess the club will be in WHEN we move to Manchester

with quite rightly pointed out a near 10000 capacity

lets be honest, there is absolutely nothing us fans opposed to the Failsworth move can do about this, apart from form a group :disappointed: which wont happen

the sad reality is, TTA build us a league 2 ground, (albiet shiny) with quite possibly a league 2 team playing in it, and ride off into the sunset saying 'if it wasnt for us and the recession you wouldnt have a club'

ive come to the point where ive just got to accept that this is happening, same old Oldham - second best or nothing at all

And Barry Owen said it will be used for concerts, what Chaz and Daves reunion tour - get a grip :disappointed:

isnt it depressing eh, for us fans who can see what mess the club will be in WHEN we move to Manchester

lets be honest, there is absolutely nothing us fans opposed to the Failsworth move can do about this, apart from form a group :disappointed: which wont happen

the sad reality is, TTA build us a league 2 ground, (albiet shiny) with quite possibly a league 2 team playing in it, and ride off into the sunset saying 'if it wasnt for us and the recession you wouldnt have a club'

ive come to the point where ive just got to accept that this is happening, same old Oldham - second best or nothing at all

And Barry Owen said it will be used for concerts, what Chaz and Daves reunion tour - get a grip :disappointed:

Better get the tin foil hat on, the aliens are coming.

I think your feelings are what most fans seem to feel...

You could say that about the whole borough. Would it make much difference if the new ground was 10 miles away instead of 5?

Being close already doesn't help but moving on to their doorstep is the last thing we should contemplate.

Apparently there are no alternatives but I don't believe it for a minute.....The reason we are moving to Failsworth is that it's the cheapest option!!! I'm sure we would be much more of an attraction to floating/nuetral fans on the Rochadale/Tameside boundary of the borough.

By the time we complete our move to Failsworth the two Manchester clubs are very likely to be 1st and 2nd in the premiership and hosting Champions league games on a fairly regular basis......To move even closer than we already are would be sheer madness!!!!

If TTA had been planning a ground move when they first arrived and looked at the borough map, I am in no doubt whatsoever, Failsworth, would have been the very last place they would have stuck the pin in!!!!!

Apparently there are no alternatives but I don't believe it for a minute.....The reason we are moving to Failsworth is that it's the cheapest option!!! I'm sure we would be much more of an attraction to floating/nuetral fans on the Rochadale/Tameside boundary of the borough.

One of the sticking points for me in the arguments against Failsworth is the lack of suitable other locations. Ones that aren't subject to restrictions, massive contamination etc. From what I recall of all the hundreds of posts about the topic, nobody has identified that other location that would be suitable. Until that's done then the anti-Failsworth faction is arguing from a disadvantage. If it could bring forward a coherent alternative ....but so far it hasn't.

Being close already doesn't help but moving on to their doorstep is the last thing we should contemplate.

By the time we complete our move to Failsworth the two Manchester clubs are very likely to be 1st and 2nd in the premiership and hosting Champions league games on a fairly regular basis......To move even closer than we already are would be sheer madness!!!!

If TTA had been planning a ground move when they first arrived and looked at the borough map, I am in no doubt whatsoever, Failsworth, would have been the very last place they would have stuck the pin in!!!!!

This is a pretty big consideration when choosing a site.

And excellent transport links. And size of available land.

Pretty much everywhere has got excellent transport links.

There are several much bigger sites within the borough too, but I'm guessing are nowhere near as cheap, hence my comment about cost being the only real consideration.

The TTA are wanting to get out and are trying to recoup if not make some money from the venture IMO.

This is a pretty big consideration when choosing a site.

Especially, if pretty soon after you want out eh!!

Think about what is happening........the move to Failsworth is a joke!!!!!!

Until now, I have never questioned the actions of TTA. They have been fantastic and were the saviours of this club and for that I will be eternally grateful, however, this move is for short term gain and not long term security!!!

TTA have had enough and who can blame them, they are still hemorrhaging money at an alarming rate but the question is....after our move to Failsworth, will they be able to sell the club?....and if the answer (as I suspect) is no ......What then?

We will have to be totally self sufficient with sub 3000 crowds like Rochdale and Bury and absolutely no chance whatsoever of any progression!!

We might even end up in the conference.........Is that really what we all want?

There has to be an alternative site for our club to survive and prosper because there is no future whatsoever for our club in Bloody Failsworth!!!!!!

Until now, I have never questioned the actions of TTA. They have been fantastic and were the saviours of this club and for that I will be eternally grateful, however, this move is for short term gain and not long term security!!!

TTA have had enough and who can blame them, they are still hemorrhaging money at an alarming rate but the question is....after our move to Failsworth, will they be able to sell the club?....and if the answer (as I suspect) is no ......What then?

We will have to be totally self sufficient with sub 3000 crowds like Rochdale and Bury and absolutely no chance whatsoever of any progression!!

There has to be an alternative site for our club to survive and prosper because there is no future whatsoever for our club in Bloody Failsworth!!!!!!

Why is it a joke?

Nonsense, but I'm sick of discussing this now.

I love all this reading between the lines conspiricy theory stuff. Well I would if it were based on anything other that certain posters 'reading between the lines'. Officially I have read every statement from the club and the only thing remotely quoted is the area (Failsworth) and the capacity,(12000) and from that ... we have this thread. I am neither for (yet I can see the sense in a move) nor agianst ( I can also see reasons as to why it COULD affect the club). I fail to see any milage in 'making stuff up' sorry reading between the lines to suit an agenda. I just want to watch my club play football greatly or not, in this division or not. I want to pledge my support in victory as in defeat and I want to see us battle against the odds in cup matches and I want Saturdays to be about what they have been for me for over 20 years. Banter, fellowship, fun, pies and Oldham Athletic. The owners are beyond my control and fuelling already greatly exaggerated rumours and twisting words is just one of the things wrong not just with the club but with the town and area and country. Looks like were stuck with it ....... ! Supporting a club isnt about what league you play or have played in .... if it was surely we would all be dirty reds or bandwagon blues.

I love all this reading between the lines conspiricy theory stuff. Well I would if it were based on anything other that certain posters 'reading between the lines'. Officially I have read every statement from the club and the only thing remotely quoted is the area (Failsworth) and the capacity,(12000) and from that ... we have this thread. I am neither for (yet I can see the sense in a move) nor agianst ( I can also see reasons as to why it COULD affect the club). I fail to see any milage in 'making stuff up' sorry reading between the lines to suit an agenda. I just want to watch my club play football greatly or not, in this division or not. I want to pledge my support in victory as in defeat and I want to see us battle against the odds in cup matches and I want Saturdays to be about what they have been for me for over 20 years. Banter, fellowship, fun, pies and Oldham Athletic. The owners are beyond my control and fuelling already greatly exaggerated rumours and twisting words is just one of the things wrong not just with the club but with the town and area and country. Looks like were stuck with it ....... ! Supporting a club isnt about what league you play or have played in .... if it was surely we would all be dirty reds or bandwagon blues.

Amen brother....

The TTA have stated in an interview on Latics Player (so no reading between the lines there, just reading the actual lines) that "we wont be around forever".

I don't think from that it takes a great 'leap of faith' to see that the stadium move is an 'out' for them, whilst giving them a chance to recoup losses incurred during their time at the club.

What worries me is what we will be left with after they are gone.

P.S.

You forgot the bandwagon reds (which is all of them).

I love all this reading between the lines conspiricy theory stuff. Well I would if it were based on anything other that certain posters 'reading between the lines'.

Have you noticed those that enjoy reading between the lines the most tend to be the ones who have enough trouble reading the lines themselves... :blink:

Amen brother....

Amen brother....

+ 1

If all those that can predict the future are to be believed then we really are in the brown stuff.

From this thread alone:

- We have a 12K stadium that is not allowed to hold 12K and to suit arguments is now no longer 12k but a 10k capacity, source - no one "just trust me" was quoted.. Ok then :huh:

- We will be playing in sub 3000 crowds yet the same thread says a 12K seater stadium is no where near big enough

- We are heading towards the confrence in the next couple of years

- TTA are ready going to shaft us all after spending 5 years with the club

- We can forget about the plans for expansion, even though TTA have been quoted as saying that the ground will be build with the option to expand..TTA are lying

Edited by NIKI1234