Stadium Plans Thread

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding was it will be a 12000 capacity stadium initially with the option of the corners filled in to raise this to 16000 IF they can attract investors to lease office space or hotel which would then provide the 'corners filled in'

The design showing the filled in corners has been labelled phase 2

It's not a done deal at the mo though,still waiting on the green light over the memorial ground debate.

All in all, if we get the design that's shown ( i.e 16000 with corners filled in ) then i think it looks impressive and i'm happy.The initial four separate stands alternative worries me though.

Hope the funding is found and we get a stadium to be proud of..............I reserve judgement.

The earlier posters for me have got carried away and just what the photo's placed on view were designed to do.

Phase one of the build is for 4 stands only without corners filled in. If......IF backers come on board looking for office space etc, then the corners will be filled in in phase two. Big question here....will phase two ever be seen?

All stands are 20 rows deep and not easy to expand. In fact to expand in terms of rows would require the stand to be dropped and another built. The pictures on display do not currently mirror any designs on paper.

Right ladies and gentlemen I have just got back.

Re the horseshoe design, this is what the stadium will look like with two corners filled in. When we first move into it, it may only be just the four stands, it may have one corner filled in, it may have two filled in, it depends what kind of backing they get.

I personally thing having two of the corners filled in, and having four separate stands, is the difference to it looking like a colchester/shrewsbury or a decent championship stadium.

The stadium will probably be going on the bit of land leased to the club by the council, with the leisure facilities (and new allotments) going on the land formerly owned by BA.

BA? British Airways own the land? It should be BAe or to the newbies BAE.

No offence Carl, I'm just filling in for Terry/DS while he and Mrs S. go look at the proposals! :lol:

What I will say if the current planned 4 stands remain at 20 rows and phase one includes filling in all corners and then looking for office etc renters it's a goer for me. Not under current phase one plans.

Edited by Lags

What I will say if the current plammed 4 stands remain at 20 rows and phase one includes filling in all corners and then looking for office etc renters it's a goer for me. Not under current phase one plans.

OVerheard you sayign that lags and agree. THe stadium design looks brilliant in my opinion.....with the two corners built in. Think the horseshoe design gives it that bit of uniqueness and is the difference between it looking like a championship stadium and a lower league stadium.

You take away the corners and it is basically another shrewsbury/colchester.

overall I have to say I'm impressed. From the outside the stadium in my opinion shows individuality, from the inside - well for a 1 tierd stadium - I dont think they could of done much better. There is two corner stands connecting 3 stands together whilst one stand behind goal has no corners, probably for the expansion when needed.

green light off me...

what i can't understand is how can any latics fan give it a negative appraisal? this is the kick start to better things

So what we have so far is what the stadium might look like but maybe not to start with. And only a rough idea as to where it will be on the site.

What we don't appear to have is any details of the rest of the development, i.e. commercial elements built into the stadium design, shop, bar, hospitality/banqueting/conferencing facilities, and what else is to be built on site (apart from the basic premise of a few community sports facilities) to generate income streams for the club.

It seems the wait is far from over.

Restaurant, club shop and a sports bar ( which i believe will be open all week ) are incorporated into the main stand, i believe other refreshment areas will be in the concourses of the stands.Private boxes are shown at the back of one of the stands too.

what i can't understand is how can any latics fan give it a negative appraisal? this is the kick start to better things

Maybe because it appears to be very little more than a few relatively meaningless artist's impressions of what it might look like, with an apparent lack of substance on some of the crucial factors - such as stadium facilities and associated commercial/leisure facilities to be part of the development.

Frankly, anyone who thinks what the stadium looks like is the single primary concern is a bit shallow.

Well if it's not right, I guess it's not right. We've been in BP all these years and Failsworth (if it happens) will be our new home for 50+ years. So lets get it right from the off. Phase one of the current plans is shrewsbury.

Restaurant, club shop and a sports bar ( which i believe will be open all week ) are incorporated into the main stand, i believe other refreshment areas will be in the concourses of the stands.Private boxes are shown at the back of one of the stands too.

That's a start. At least it suggests the matchday and directly club associated facilities would be a big step forward compared to BP.

Maybe because it appears to be very little more than a few relatively meaningless artist's impressions of what it might look like, with an apparent lack of substance on some of the crucial factors - such as stadium facilities and associated commercial/leisure facilities to be part of the development.

Frankly, anyone who thinks what the stadium looks like is the single primary concern is a bit shallow.

Apart from the main stand little detail was to be had in the concourses of the other stands. Of the plans on show of the whole development only general area's were shown, ie where on the plot the stadium would be housed with various orientation options, then general area's earmarked for leisure and commercial. No mention of parking as yet. So very very broad. However this is the first plans I guess.

I had a good chat with AH at the preview tonight.

Currently talking to a Primary Care Trust with a vfiew to putting pyhsiotherapy unit in one of the corners.

Revenue also would come from a possible Harvester type family pub using the Lancaster Club building, a multiplex cinema, Sport Bar, Footy Pitches and there was sommuat else but I can't remember.

i see the slope is back .like the one pre plastic pitch

What bloody slope? It's the angle of the camera.

Phase one of the build is for 4 stands only without corners filled in. If......IF backers come on board looking for office space etc, then the corners will be filled in in phase two. Big question here....will phase two ever be seen?

Just the four stands then, oh well - not as good as the artists impression. Better than our current set up, granted.

Had a good look, and asked a few pertinent questions. Here's my take.....

The stadium looks VERY nice. There were designs representing both a 12000 seater, and 16000 seater, both of which looked better than any other of the lower league new-builds.

My first question was the accuracy of the designs. I was told they were artists representations, but the final plans are unlikely to stray too far away from them - budget permitting.

I then enquired on the capacity. 16000 would be the absolute maximum after expansion under the current plans, and 12000 is achievable as a starting point, subject to two corners being filled in and subsidised by outside investment.

The person I spoke to couldn't offer a guarantee that the initial build wouldn't be four seperate stands with a 10000 capacity - that would depend on further investment.

Bars are shown in two of the stands, but I was told it would be unlikely that there weren't licensed bars in all stands (Surely they should include them in the plans then?), and would be covered, though not necessarily enclosed (i.e specific lounges with doors).

The mainstand would be on the Moston Brook side (The side furthest from Broadway) in order to benefit from shading of the sun, and floodlights will be situated on the roof of the stands to reduce the impact of synthetic light to surrounding properties.

Apparently a traffic study is yet to be completed, but it is expected that there will be a signal controlled right turn for traffic entering the car park via a filter lane from the Southbound carriageway of Broadway, with one entrance into the car park, and one to get out (Like a drive-thru). When I asked how vehicles might turn right coming out of the ground in order to get to Oldham Rd when the aforementioned filter lane would be in the way (Unless the filter lane is only 40 yards long) the reply was "As I said, a traffic study is yet to be done".

I asked what plans there were to entice people to travel 20 minutes further to the ground, whilst paying around £20 plus £5 parking, when premiership football is just round the corner and similarly priced. Unsurprisingly I was told the club's commercial department would have to look at that (I hope to God they already have!).

It appeared from my visit that the proposals are for a very tidy looking stadium that may or may not look like the draft plans. Also, the capacity may or may not start at 10000, and we may or may not have four seperate stands.

There may or may not be traffic problems, there may or may not be sufficient pre-match drinks lounges (Other than the Lancaster Club which is not the easiest place to get served when busy), and there may or not be some activity in the commercial department with regard to crowd pulling incentives.

Glad I learned something there.

On the whole, the consultation was basically an opportunity to show what could be built at failsworth, but nothing was set in stone other than the fact that the planning application had already been sanctioned according to Tony Bugby (Now there's a surprise!).

Of course, even if the stadium were built to a 16000 capacity with every conceivable issue taken care of, there would still be one major problem - It's in Manc territory, and people don't like it.