Post Game Thread: Tranmere Rovers

our fixtures coming up:

swindon (A)

walsall (H)

colchester (A)

leeds (A)

norwich (H)

4 of those teams are in the top 6.

Which means that when we beat them we'll close the gap on the leading pack, ready for the final push. They'll never see us coming...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, gritty win today from the lads helping restore a bit of pride and lift some of the gloom around the place which has been manefesting around the place for weeks (and months). I'll focus on our new Fellaini though: Anneka (Price).

I thought he had a decent debut. Not gobsmackingly amazing or anything, but provided that awkward presence up front and really gave their centre backs a difficult game. Looked a bit of a handful and despite a few sluggish touches he settled in quite well. Can't see him being a man full of goals, but I think Pav playing alongside him will bring the best out of him and remove a ton of burden from his shoulders.

Great to see a positive player huddle at the end long after all the Tranmere players and officials had left. Showed the mood was good in the camp. Jim Goodwin getting especially close and personal, embracing with a fan at the end too.

While it isn't by any stretch the end of our troubles, it helped restore a little pride that even myself had lost recently. Well done lads.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

as mr shanks says..a gritty performance.

thought we looked far more composed and confident than we have for months.price really adds something to the forward line...bustling,chasing loose balls,was a handful and complimented pav well.another couple of games and i can see good things there.

it has to be said though,tranny looked poor today..only had a couple of real chances(one saved very well by brill) and apart from a few 5 mins periods here and there,we controlled the flow of the game,soaked up pressure when it came and some nice counter attacking.

lastly-parker...just want is the point?

id prefer that to most of the usual negative stuff.

and it sounds like brill had a solid game and saved us in the last minute

I was being sarcastic. Always pleased to see the board of positive people.

Easy to get down when we have lost the last couple of games, even more so when its the only games in what feels like ages.

Grat to see Brill keeping another clean sheet - sign of a good goalkeeper, not much to do all game and then still focused to pull off decent save near the end.

Roll on next game

I was being sarcastic. Always pleased to see the board of positive people.

Easy to get down when we have lost the last couple of games, even more so when its the only games in what feels like ages.

Grat to see Brill keeping another clean sheet - sign of a good goalkeeper, not much to do all game and then still focused to pull off decent save near the end.

Roll on next game

Thought Brill had a very good game. Caught every cross made one vital punch in the 2nd half and made 2 decent saves,

The defence were solid in the main after a shaky couple of mins in the 1st half when we couldn't hold the ball up front but 2nd half they were rarely seriously trouble Gregan and Rubes were excellent.

The midfield struggled Stephens tried to put his foot on the ball and pass it about but had little movement in front of him. Furman worked hard and had two decent efforts in the 1st half but his games was summed up in the 2nd half when he played head tennis against the Tranmere back like for about 5 minutes - considering how highly rated he came he doesn't seem to have much in his locker going forward but with DS they were solid enough and didn't let Tranmere create much either.

Smally was awful. He won his usual headers from kick off but other that he was dire. Hes going backwards this season, he played several poor balls to nobody then game a hospital ball to goodwin when we could have got something in the box and then defensivly dawdled in the box in the 1st half which would have cost us big time except for an offside flag. He did put one decent cross into the box which Whittaker got on the end of to force a good save from the keepr but that was all smalley contributed really i was a big fan last season but so far its just not happening this time round i think hes going to be another that falls by the way side at some point. Whittaker just inst a winger

Abbot ran himself into the ground again and it was our own fault we didnt pick out more of his runs.

Pryce is awkward to play against and works hard and won some useful flick against Goodison not sure hes gunna be a goal scorer but he could be useful.

Ill echo the Parker sentiments - we needed to hold the ball in the 2nd half after some Tranmere pressure JJ clears the ball down the channel and Parker is first to get there the defender puts the lightest hand on him and Parker moves and lets him clear the ball not sure what goes on in his head sometimes .

Taylor came on as well but didn't really have the ball that much and :censored: did what the rest of the midfield did and kept it tight

Edited by bluehobbit

our fixtures coming up:

swindon (A)

walsall (H)

colchester (A)

leeds (A)

norwich (H)

That looks tough but what we have to do is not to drop too far by the end of it. Only 1 is a rearranged game- Swindon (we were supposed to play them on 3rd round day but we played Hartlepool instead). I don't expect us to pick up too many points (I'd be happy with 3 or 4) but if everyone else around us is loosing then that's OK. The 5 games after these we could get 15 points from Exeter (a) to Brighton (h), if we aren't trying to catch up a gap of 5/6 points to comfort (not safety) starting with Exeter (a) I think we will be safe comfortably.

Smally was awful. He won his usual headers from kick off but other that he was dire. Hes going backwards this season, he played several poor balls to nobody then game a hospital ball to goodwin when we could have got something in the box and then defensivly dawdled in the box in the 1st half which would have cost us big time except for an offside flag. He did put one decent cross into the box which Whittaker got on the end of to force a good save from the keepr but that was all smalley contributed really i was a big fan last season but so far its just not happening this time round i think hes going to be another that falls by the way side at some point. Whittaker just inst a winger

I wasn't there today so can't comment on his performance this afternoon. However I do wonder why he's in the team at the moment ahead of Colbeck, who regardless of what some would have you believe, has turned himself into a half-decent player. I'm not saying he's a world-beater, and I'm not saying he's necessarily better than Smalley when both are in form...but from what I've seen of Deane this year he does appear to be 'going backwards', as bluehobbit put it. It's frustrating as I thought he was very good last campaign...but in current form I am somewhat bemused that DP persists with Smalley whilst the improving Colbeck warms the bench.

That looks tough but what we have to do is not to drop too far by the end of it. Only 1 is a rearranged game- Swindon (we were supposed to play them on 3rd round day but we played Hartlepool instead). I don't expect us to pick up too many points (I'd be happy with 3 or 4) but if everyone else around us is loosing then that's OK. The 5 games after these we could get 15 points from Exeter (a) to Brighton (h), if we aren't trying to catch up a gap of 5/6 points to comfort (not safety) starting with Exeter (a) I think we will be safe comfortably.

:lol:

Five consecutive wins? This lot?

I'll be genuinely amazed if we score in five consecutive games between now and the end of the season, never mind win the buggers!

our fixtures coming up:

swindon (A)

walsall (H)

colchester (A)

leeds (A)

norwich (H)

To be fair, we traditionally do better against the top teams rather than the lesser ones, and if we can just keep that bit of confidence going and growing, you never know, what will happen.

I wasn't there today so can't comment on his performance this afternoon. However I do wonder why he's in the team at the moment ahead of Colbeck, who regardless of what some would have you believe, has turned himself into a half-decent player. I'm not saying he's a world-beater, and I'm not saying he's necessarily better than Smalley when both are in form...but from what I've seen of Deane this year he does appear to be 'going backwards', as bluehobbit put it. It's frustrating as I thought he was very good last campaign...but in current form I am somewhat bemused that DP persists with Smalley whilst the improving Colbeck warms the bench.

Can't argue with that. But I just hope that keeping him in the side reaps the long-term benefit that it seems is being looked for, and he explodes into being the player his potential hints at. Because I think that Deane CAN be a very very good player.

It wasn't a sparkling match with lots of great football but the lads dug out a vital win. I'll give Brill some more praise he had a decent game, caught crosses and did well to keep Tranmere out at the death which was the first time the seriously threatened. Gregan was his usual self ably helped out by Rubes. Goodwin is a tough little cookie and JJ also did ok at left back. I thought Stephens and Furman worked hard in the middle without playing any electrifying stuff and Furman made good ground on two occassions and perhaps should have worked the keeper more with both. Price hekped Pav out with his energy and running and hopefully the pair will help each other more and see some goals as a result. Now sorry lets come onto Smalley and Whittaker. Smalley is going backwards at an alarming speed...very very poor today. Lacked any guile or know how. Whits was whits, lightweight in the extreme. Of the subs, Parker please collect your P45 and take ya boots. He didn't even want to join the huddle nor clap the fans. A great 3 points today and a ugly win in a match of two sides that are lacking belief, form and gameplans.

Edited by Lags

Great, gritty win today from the lads helping restore a bit of pride and lift some of the gloom around the place which has been manefesting around the place for weeks (and months). I'll focus on our new Fellaini though: Anneka (Price).

I thought he had a decent debut. Not gobsmackingly amazing or anything, but provided that awkward presence up front and really gave their centre backs a difficult game. Looked a bit of a handful and despite a few sluggish touches he settled in quite well. Can't see him being a man full of goals, but I think Pav playing alongside him will bring the best out of him and remove a ton of burden from his shoulders.

Great to see a positive player huddle at the end long after all the Tranmere players and officials had left. Showed the mood was good in the camp. Jim Goodwin getting especially close and personal, embracing with a fan at the end too.

While it isn't by any stretch the end of our troubles, it helped restore a little pride that even myself had lost recently. Well done lads.

Spot on.

Textbook away win. Stopped them hurting us and took our chance in a tight game.

Gregan was put in his usual professional performance and Hazell was an excellent parter - Hazell's tackle to deny them a goal scoring chance was superb.

Jason Price is exactly the player we need at the moment. His flick-ons from midfield were superb. Him and Abbot just need to improve their commication a little bit and I think they will form a good partnership.

Jason Price is exactly the player we need at the moment. His flick-ons from midfield were superb. Him and Abbot just need to improve their commication a little bit and I think they will form a good partnership

A good strike partnership is everything in this league.

Get one working, keep it together, and the world is your lobster.

Pawel Abbott's 8th of the season gives Latics a vital win in Merseyside and moves the side out of the bottom four.

thouroughly pissed and satisfied on a job well done...napa valley and tetleys to roundoff a great weekend for me hic hic horray forthe three amigos :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

It wasn't a sparkling match with lots of great football but the lads dug out a vital win. I'll give Brill some more praise he had a decent game, caught crosses and did well to keep Tranmere out at the death which was the first time the seriously threatened. Gregan was his usual self ably helped out by Rubes. Goodwin is a tough little cookie and JJ also did ok at left back. I thought Stephens and Furman worked hard in the middle without playing any electrifying stuff and Furman made good ground on two occassions and perhaps should have worked the keeper more with both. Price hekped Pav out with his energy and running and hopefully the pair will help each other more and see some goals as a result. Now sorry lets come onto Smalley and Whittaker. Smalley is going backwards at an alarming speed...very very poor today. Lacked any guile or know how. Whits was whits, lightweight in the extreme. Of the subs, Parker please collect your P45 and take ya boots. He didn't even want to join the huddle nor clap the fans. A great 3 points today and a ugly win in a match of two sides that are lacking belief, form and gameplans.

Couldnt agree more. Smalley is just not worth his place in the team, i think he is picking up tips on effort from Kiegan Parker and his decision making is truly shocking.

Spot on.

Jason Price is exactly the player we need at the moment. His flick-ons from midfield were superb. Him and Abbot just need to improve their commication a little bit and I think they will form a good partnership.

I think they need to both improve their fitness and we will see a decent partnership.

Not great today but the lads battled and thats all we ask of them. Hopefully get a decent result Tuesday and beat Walsall on saturday we might see a bit of a gap going into the run of fixtures agaist the top teams and still have games in hand.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...v_2/8490290.stm

I know we kinda sat back in the end especially when Pav departed and Parker couldn't hold up his dick let alone the football but I never thought Tranmere had the ball that much! see BBC link of the match facts.

I'm never totally convinced by these measures.

To be fair though, the seond half LP commentary did suggest it was all Tranmere, even if they didn't seem to be ripping us to shreds.

Agreed it was good to see the hudddle, I think I saw it last time at the Colchester game and yes I loved Jim Goodwin running across the pitch to that fan who was trampling over the chairs to get to the front to met him. They must know each other but it almost brought a tear to my eye (or was that the fog?)....on wards and up wards

Pleased for Brill today for not only keept a clean sheet with two good saves late on , he put in a solid display with his handling.

Hazell had probably his best game of the season and although Stephens and Furman played well for an hour or so they faded towards the end (lack of match firness ? )

Price played well and although he doesn't look like scoring lots he is certainly a handful and offers another attacking avenue to Abbott. Think he will fit in well

2 weak links as others stated ,

Whits and Smalley , Whits out of position again when we have 2 other players capable of playing wide so why does Penney persist !!!!

Smalley needs a break or out on loan to a lower league club to try and get some confidence back.

Control is getting worse and he looks uninterested at times.

Play Colbeck wide right and Taylor left and we could have a team capable of climbing into the top half before long.

Good performance today but didn't realise Sir Alex must have been in the crowd with the extra time board at the end !!

:lol:

ps Tranmere -

Where the hell do they get £20.50 entrance ???

Causes headaches at the turntiles for both fans and operators and surely can't be worth the extra money they get in !!!!!!

:angry:

Edited by losesome