Why Don't You Like Manchester?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Failsworth is part of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham... Within that Metropolitan Borough you have the town of Oldham and the town of Failsworth. Failsworth is not part of the town of Oldham and it is not part of the city of Manchester. Now that is a fact.

Oldham MB is still Oldham.

Well I think Manchester is a great city....... I just don't want Latics to play there :disappointed:

Manchester is a top City, 2 of my ex missus's were from Fallowfield and Withington and loved prectically living down there, I like working outside of Oldham and much prefer having a beer in Manchester City Centre

I'm not a manc though and football wise I hate the City's 2 clubs - My only hatred to Manchester is football related, I don't even mind genuine Utd fans just those that shop at the megastore before games

and much prefer having a beer in Manchester City Centre

I'm not a manc though and football wise I hate the City's 2 clubs - My only hatred to Manchester is football related, I don't even mind genuine Utd fans just those that shop at the megastore before games

I agree fully with these. I don't give a second thought to having a drink in Manchester, generally around the Oxford Rd area or the edge of the so called Northern Quarter. If I can help it I don't drink in satellite towns, far too much like a powder keg for my liking.

I've got a few mates who support City or United, I'm sick of the patronising looks and "who's your manager now" since Royle left but they are decent lads who know their footie.

I've got a few mates who support City or United, I'm sick of the patronising looks and "who's your manager now" since Royle left but they are decent lads who know their footie.

I think this is a sticking point for some. I have many United supporting mates who don't attend games. But that's because they're on near minimum wage and simply can't afford it.

They can however tell you more about United than many could about Latics and thanks to the coverage United get probably see more United games than most here will Latics games (ie; they can watch United away 9/10 times as well as 9/10 home games).

So whilst I too dislike the United fan who couldn't list more than three first team players and is a United fan simply because they're the big club in the area I don't irrationally hate United fans as a whole.

I think this is a sticking point for some. I have many United supporting mates who don't attend games. But that's because they're on near minimum wage and simply can't afford it.

They can however tell you more about United than many could about Latics and thanks to the coverage United get probably see more United games than most here will Latics games (ie; they can watch United away 9/10 times as well as 9/10 home games).

So whilst I too dislike the United fan who couldn't list more than three first team players and is a United fan simply because they're the big club in the area I don't irrationally hate United fans as a whole.

I actually know a United fan who's even magnaminous in defeat. He's as rare as hens teeth mind.

In terms of the Friday night out on the piste, Oldham is much the same as any other similar sized provincial town - there's only really one main bars/clubs/takeaways area and it frequently gets a bit tasty.

You'll also find trouble out in Manchester on a Friday night, but at least being a city it's big enough for you to be able to avoid the trouble spots and (probably) have a safe night out... although ideally you need to avoid the taxi ranks at 3am cos there always seems to be some 17 year old Salford scally who thinks he can push in.

Have to disagree strongly with that mate. Like Ackey the vast majority of my battles have been in Oldham, despite that not being where I go out the vast majority of the time.

A few years back I heard it on Key 103 that Yorkshire Street was statistically the second most dangerous street in the country for violent crime. I was surprised it only came in at second. :shock: The guy sat next to me is from Gorton and went out in Oldham occasionally a few years back....at least until he got "absolutely leathered over spilt milk" as he puts it, apparently the only hiding he's ever had. I've taken people into Oldham who have been shocked and/or amused at the police measures and presence since they made it pedestrian only at night. I took my reluctant posh girlfriend there on Boxing Day last year - she got to enjoy her first ever fight. :( Bar ones with me of course.....

I'm pretty placid, if overly proud at times, and have had numerous scrapes 'up town'. I've even had to deal with a van of hooded hoodlems turn up at Revolution/Escobar all with aggressive dogs on chains. :unsure: I've also had trouble in Scruples, 62's, Liquid, Envy, Tokyos, Kelly's/Vogue and The Up Steps Inn, just to name a few! And that's without mentioning the traditional chippy and taxi rank arena's. Wasn't someone shot in Livingstones last year?

In Manchester I've had trouble once - in Mojo's and it soon cooled down. Nobody seems to 'have it on them' down there, they're all out for a good time. I've had no trouble in Ashton and hardly anything in Rochdale or Stalybridge.

Admittedly I tended to go out in Oldham when I was younger when you tend to attract more trouble, but I've never been one to look for trouble. Some of it has been more recent anyway.

To get to my point, it certainly isn't a 'normal provincial town'. I think there are three reasons for it being notably worse. Firstly it's reputation fuels a self-fulfilling prophecy. Secondly it's reputation attracts idiots from surrounding towns and up Manchester Road. Thirdly, being part of a conurbation, in my opinion, breeds more crime in general than stand alone towns do.

EDIT: Sorry, I have had trouble in Ashton! A man wearing hobnail boots with a sun tattood on his face came outside 'Loveshack' and battered everybody. Happy days.... :blink:

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Have to disagree strongly with that mate. Like Ackey the vast majority of my battles have been in Oldham, despite that not being where I go out the vast majority of the time.

A few years back I heard it on Key 103 that Yorkshire Street was statistically the second most dangerous street in the country for violent crime. I was surprised it only came in at second. :shock: The guy sat next to me is from Gorton and went out in Oldham occasionally a few years back....at least until he got "absolutely leathered over spilt milk" as he puts it, apparently the only hiding he's ever had. I've taken people into Oldham who have been shocked and/or amused at the police measures and presence since they made it pedestrian only at night. I took my reluctant posh girlfriend there on Boxing Day last year - she got to enjoy her first ever fight. :( Bar ones with me of course.....

I'm pretty placid, if overly proud at times, and have had numerous scrapes 'up town'. I've even had to deal with a van of hooded hoodlems turn up at Revolution/Escobar all with aggressive dogs on chains. :unsure: I've also had trouble in Scruples, 62's, Liquid, Envy, Tokyos, Kelly's/Vogue and The Up Steps Inn, just to name a few! And that's without mentioning the traditional chippy and taxi rank arena's. Wasn't someone shot in Livingstones last year?

In Manchester I've had trouble once - in Mojo's and it soon cooled down. Nobody seems to 'have it on them' down there, they're all out for a good time. I've had no trouble in Ashton and hardly anything in Rochdale or Stalybridge.

Admittedly I tended to go out in Oldham when I was younger when you tend to attract more trouble, but I've never been one to look for trouble. Some of it has been more recent anyway.

To get to my point, it certainly isn't a 'normal provincial town'. I think there are three reasons for it being notably worse. Firstly it's reputation fuels a self-fulfilling prophecy. Secondly it's reputation attracts idiots from surrounding towns and up Manchester Road. Thirdly, being part of a conurbation, in my opinion, breeds more crime in general than stand alone towns do.

EDIT: Sorry, I have had trouble in Ashton! A man wearing hobnail boots with a sun tattood on his face came outside 'Loveshack' and battered everybody. Happy days.... :blink:

To be honest, I go out in Oldham and Manchester and never got into any trouble* (touch wood). Whenever I go to Tokyos, I usually see a scrap. But at the same time, nearly every time I go to the Venue I see a scrap too.

*However, I did have a knife brandished on my in the loo at that club in Failsworth (The Lock?). I could tell he wasn't going to do anything, and was doing it to sh*t me up, but still, if he wanted to I'd have been f***ed. Obviously, I've not been in there since.

Cor blimey Stitch......You wanna' stop giving dirty looks out.... :grin:

Stitch, I'm not doubting Oldham is rough as fook - it is. And yes, possibly worse than a few others around. It's just that I know of an awful lot of provincial towns that are just as bad. And not all of them are 'working class northern towns' either.

I stopped going out in Oldham about twenty years ago. Over the few years before that I definitely got the impression it was getting worse. It helped that when we did go out when I was 18 or so our group was, ahem, fairly handy. So we did tend to attract the odd council estate hard man but it's amazing how often he didn't come back when he'd sussed us out and "gone to get his mates". :lol:

Don't be thinking Oldham is special though - Ashton, Rochdale, Middleton, Stockport, Stoke and Hull can all be just as bad. And Swansea, Plymouth, Luton and Glasgow are an awful lot worse.

Just out of interest would many of you have such a problem of the location if the stadium were to be built Oldham side of the M60? Even if it were bordering the M60 Oldham side....I'm just wondering

The M60 is massive - where do you mean specifically?

Oldham side, I didn't realise that your geographical knowledge would be tested to the extreme otherwise I would have told you to refer to a map :wink:

Well pardon me for asking, not sure if you're fishing or just being a knob. The M60 has no relevance to the location, it's a recently built road that just happens to be where it is for completely different reasons.

Sorry you didn't understand specific, I should have referred you to a dictionary.

Well pardon me for asking, not sure if you're fishing or just being a knob. The M60 has no relevance to the location, it's a recently built road that just happens to be where it is for completely different reasons.

Sorry you didn't understand specific, I should have referred you to a dictionary.

I thought the same, anyway what I meant was is the M60 a kind of mental border for some...you know....cross the M60 and you are in ~Manchester