Post Game Thread: Norwich City

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

expected but we should be fighting for our lives. are we doing so?

All I know is we've played 3 of the best teams in the league in our past 3 games....in which we haven't defended too shambolically and have created some chances. Now if we have improved as a team over the past 5 odd weeks after getting results against Tranmere and Walsall...then it will definitely show in March. March is judgement month.....if we're good enough to stay up, we will and we will by beating the teams around us. I don't look at is as; "We have to win these games to stay up"....I expect us to win these games, I think we were showing improvements, up until and including the Colchester match (although I didn't go, from what I read), but the gulf in quality is going to shine through when you're playing the top teams, always. But now we're playing the no hopers, the cannon fodder of the division so to speak.....as I said, if we are good enough to stay up, we will. There's no excuses, no robberies, no good performances without results....no close encounters and being matched by Wycombe and Exeter. Either we're good enough, or we're not and no one can answer that question until April 3rd, 5pm....but by then it'll be obvious which way we are going, one way or the other.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Two great chances:

Price after Reuben's great header across.

Parker in a one on one.

Finish those and we've done well to beat the league leaders.

The stats will probably show that Latics had more chances than Norwich, but I think we were second best. The real battling stuff is coming up and we need players like Taylor to look like he wants to be part of the battle. No disrespect Chris, but you were :censored:e today!

There's not a lot wrong with us at the moment. Seriously, don't need the smelling salts, but we more than matched them, bossed the middle and just got caught with a sucker punch.

Central defenders are pretty solid.

Central midfielders look strong and take hold of games

Front two can put it away usually when a chance falls to them.

The issue is out wide. No immediate threat on the flanks, no pace and not enough crosses coming in from them. More quality there and we'll be alright.

All I know is we've played 3 of the best teams in the league in our past 3 games....in which we haven't defended too shambolically and have created some chances. Now if we have improved as a team over the past 5 odd weeks after getting results against Tranmere and Walsall...then it will definitely show in March. March is judgement month.....if we're good enough to stay up, we will and we will by beating the teams around us. I don't look at is as; "We have to win these games to stay up"....I expect us to win these games, I think we were showing improvements, up until and including the Colchester match (although I didn't go, from what I read), but the gulf in quality is going to shine through when you're playing the top teams, always. But now we're playing the no hopers, the cannon fodder of the division so to speak.....as I said, if we are good enough to stay up, we will. There's no excuses, no robberies, no good performances without results....no close encounters and being matched by Wycombe and Exeter. Either we're good enough, or we're not and no one can answer that question until April 3rd, 5pm....but by then it'll be obvious which way we are going, one way or the other.

I've head several people say this, but what I can't quite grasp, is how people assume that our players are suddenly going to find their scoring touch in March when it's been sorely lacking all season. Time after time we're saying the same things "we played quite well, but couldn't find the net" why will that suddenly change against the lower teams? We should have had at least 2 points from the last three games; possibly even 4, but yet again, we can't find the net.

If we win even half of the games in March, I'll be very surprised. I just cannot see it happening.

I've head several people say this, but what I can't quite grasp, is how people assume that our players are suddenly going to find their scoring touch in March when it's been sorely lacking all season.

The way I see it is we're playing sides with a much weaker defence as the likes of Colchester, Leeds and Norwich. I mean, we took care of Tranmere and Walsall without too much hassle.

I've head several people say this, but what I can't quite grasp, is how people assume that our players are suddenly going to find their scoring touch in March when it's been sorely lacking all season. Time after time we're saying the same things "we played quite well, but couldn't find the net" why will that suddenly change against the lower teams? We should have had at least 2 points from the last three games; possibly even 4, but yet again, we can't find the net.

If we win even half of the games in March, I'll be very surprised. I just cannot see it happening.

Good call.

I can see a lot of 0-0 scorelines coming up when we play the rest of the "canon fodder" around us.

Mind you, some of them seem able to score a few goals, Stockport managed four today.

Good call.

I can see a lot of 0-0 scorelines coming up when we play the rest of the "canon fodder" around us.

Mind you, some of them seem able to score a few goals, Stockport managed four today.

Our problem will be opening teams up, we don't move the ball fast enough, everything is laboured.

The poorer sides we're due to play,especially at BP may set themselves up to stifle us and that's where our problem is.

A few observations.

1. Play like we played for the last twenty-five minutes or so in the next five and we'll end up with the vast majority of the points.

2. It baffles me why in the back two thirds of the pitch we are intent on playing no football at all and hoofing it up, yet as soon as we get in the last third of the pitch we start trying to play like Arsenal and no-one will take a bloody shot.

3. Parker will never ever score a one-on-one, but we looked so much better when he was up front, it's all very well having two lads who can hold it up/flick it on but you need some sort of pace. Say what you like about his ability, Parker runs his socks off and we look more lively when he's on.

4. Surely we can sue Rangers under the Trade Description Act, Dean 'Sideways' Furman is not a 'box-to-box' midfielder, he refuses to run with the ball when there's space in front of him and as for a goal threat...well every shot the guy's had in the six months he's been playing for us has gone straight at the keeper.

5. How the referee can continually indicate that he's watching his clock and time-wasting will be taken into account, and then add on just three minutes is beyond me. Baffling.

We'll be alright. Just.

i thought we didnt play too badly today. they took us on the counter and holt, hoolahoop and martin upfront were always going to punish us.

we have to take alot of points from the next few games as the final 8 games are tough. also, i thought that keiran lee played well at rightback today and he should be given more of a chance

The way I see it is we're playing sides with a much weaker defence as the likes of Colchester, Leeds and Norwich. I mean, we took care of Tranmere and Walsall without too much hassle.

But how does playing against weaker defences increase a player's ability to actually hit the target, or put away a one on one, or stop hitting it straight down the keepers throat??

We had ample chances to score today, but couldn't do it. It was the same at Col U, and has been the same all season. The weaker defences didn't help us against Hartlepool, or Stockport, or (repeat to fade...)

More than matched Norwich today, but we just don't create enough clear-cut chances....and when we do get a clear-cut chance we fluff it.

Frustrating.

We're too good to go down, yet how can we deserve to stay up if we scored the least goals in the whole league ?

But how does playing against weaker defences increase a player's ability to actually hit the target, or put away a one on one, or stop hitting it straight down the keepers throat??

Oh, we'll still do that. But we'll get more chances still, and put one of them away.

To watch us, it's clear where the problem lies; on the flanks and lack of goal input from Midfield. Pav and Price score their fair share this season (about their normal ratios), we need goals from Taylor, Furman, Stephens and Colbeck/Smalley.

It all seems so far away since beating notts forest 5-0 and showing no fear of any of the top teams. It might not be popular to say but the club had got backwards significantly since the sacking of shez