Ritchie and Gregan?

snip snip

In one of the totally trust worthy papers on Sunday not sure if it was Sun or Mirror it said

snip snip

Totally trustworthy Sunday papers? You have got to be having a larfff!!

Ten hours on, I can't believe I'm the first to say that!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't forget paul beavers :grin:

He wasnt home grown he was signed from sunderland

Although I will apologise for forgetting Mark Hotte, McNiven Twins, Ben Futcher

But Add beavers to the list of equally :censored:e journeymen, along with barry prenderville, stuart thom, john mcginlay

He wasnt home grown he was signed from sunderland

Although I will apologise for forgetting Mark Hotte, McNiven Twins, Ben Futcher

But Add beavers to the list of equally :censored:e journeymen, along with barry prenderville, stuart thom, john mcginlay

Not a patch on his dad or uncle Ron for that matter :wink:

Does anyone remember how utterly :censored:e we were between 98-2001?

Yep- we were awful and we hardly had a plan A nevermind a plan B/C. Anyone who wants Ritchie back should go look at the tables on Soccerbase and see just how close we were to going down and the distinct lack of quality in that division compared to this one. Plus, how has Ritchie stayed in contact with the club the last time I saw him at a game was when we played Leeds in the cup (I presume he was there for the league game too)- he bloody works for Radio Leeds on a Saturday (note the absence of a managerial role there)- the only club he keeps in contact with is Leeds. Get a grip. If we get Ritchie back we might as well start planning for trips to Accy Stanley.

Gregan will become a good manager IMHO, but not now and not with Ritchie as his mentor. This is some BS story made up by something not fit to call itself toilet paper nevermind chip wrapper.

Yes Ritchie is an Oldham legend but i'd guess he's pretty popular with Leeds fans- considering what he does now. I didn't hear Leeds fans clamouring for his return as manager (Shez's name was mentioned a bit) when they fired Gary McAllister. Look at how the "great players/legends" have done as managers and then look at the big 4 in the Premiership, some of the other ones and some of the big European teams- how many of those managers were any good as players.

Some Oldham fans need to realise its 2010 not 1990 and move on.

Yep- we were awful and we hardly had a plan A nevermind a plan B/C. Anyone who wants Ritchie back should go look at the tables on Soccerbase and see just how close we were to going down and the distinct lack of quality in that division compared to this one. Plus, how has Ritchie stayed in contact with the club the last time I saw him at a game was when we played Leeds in the cup (I presume he was there for the league game too)- he bloody works for Radio Leeds on a Saturday (note the absence of a managerial role there)- the only club he keeps in contact with is Leeds. Get a grip. If we get Ritchie back we might as well start planning for trips to Accy Stanley.

Gregan will become a good manager IMHO, but not now and not with Ritchie as his mentor. This is some BS story made up by something not fit to call itself toilet paper nevermind chip wrapper.

Yes Ritchie is an Oldham legend but i'd guess he's pretty popular with Leeds fans- considering what he does now. I didn't hear Leeds fans clamouring for his return as manager (Shez's name was mentioned a bit) when they fired Gary McAllister. Look at how the "great players/legends" have done as managers and then look at the big 4 in the Premiership, some of the other ones and some of the big European teams- how many of those managers were any good as players.

Some Oldham fans need to realise its 2010 not 1990 and move on.

:lol:

Fancy likening Ritchie's relationship with Leeds fans to his relationship with us and using it to highlight that they didn't clamour for him as manager as an indication that we shouldn't either. Strewth.

Some people need to accept the genuine possibility that this particular club could quite conceivably benefit from all the givens you get with appointing a legend more than most others. The 'big 4' have nothing to gain from appointing a legend - they aren't suffering from their hardcores deserting them in droves. And it's not even like Ritchie's record is that bad!!! He's gotten out of this divsion for crying out loud!! And he had us top not long before Chris Moore swung the axe...

As for pointing out that good players don't always make good managers; nobody has said they do(ahem, Ferguson, Clough, Shankly, Paisley, Beckenbauer, Capello, O'Neill, Sheridan :wink:). Ok, the likes of Wenger and Mourinho are reknowned for weak playing backgrounds, but then their jobs are hardly typical management jobs are they? It's all irrelevant anyway - it's natural that some do and some don't. Hardly worth pointing out is it?

With regards to your comments about no 'plan A'; over time I've gathered that you're a little younger than I, and I for one still had a lot to learn aged circa 12-16, as I'm sure I still do. Maybe you were different, but all I did in those days was cheer the goals and swear at the ref. Also, why totally ignore the lack of money/quality at Ritchie's disposal whilst happily highlighting the (apparent) lack of quality in the divison? Rather than looking at the 98-00 soccerbase tables and drawing all your conclusions, why not look at Barnsley's promotion season and draw them there?

All in all yet another frustrating post.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Not totally denied though - if it was absolute rubbish and DP was here to stay then AH would surely have said something along the lines of 'this is categorically untrue, Dave Penney is going nowhere'

something in it me thinks..................

I agree, Penney's position must have been discussed at board level.

The clock is ticking..................If we lose at Exeter I expect Penney to go!!!

I'm with Shefflatic on this one... All that's printed in the Chron report - as quotes - is "paper talk"... It could be that Hardy didn't want to give credence to the rumour by commenting on it in the first place. There's always a chance that an outright backing of Penney would - in the club's eyes - put more pressure on him etc etc etc.

BUT...

Two words aren't exactly going to deflect attention from the rumour very far. If the club was going to put it to bed totally, they could have given some other inane quotes "Dave's focussed on six big games up ahead, team performing well despite bad run of results etc etc etc blah" - but they didn't.

Which leads me to the conclusion that there's something afoot.

Edited by Nohairdontcare

why do latics fans always too to the past? IMO the only person who can save us this season is penney becuase it is his team and any new manager like stitch would have to restart with no time and we would probably get relegated. this season has been bad and we should assess at the end and not at a time that could really damage our survival chances

why do latics fans always too to the past? IMO the only person who can save us this season is penney becuase it is his team and any new manager like stitch would have to restart with no time and we would probably get relegated. this season has been bad and we should assess at the end and not at a time that could really damage our survival chances

I don;t subsribe tothe view anyone can come in and lift a team for too long.

Royle did not do it.

That said, Dowie has done it a few times.

But it takes a couple of seasons (years) to really under the skin of a job, if you have got 20-50 staff.

It will be interesting what Warnock does at QPR.

If penney has suspicsions about the rumour, be interesting how him and gray are with greegs.. :wink:

Joking :)

Hardy has hardly moved the rumour with his two words, so could be something in it, but then again there could not be and its just us oldham fans thinking something is going on behind the scenes. :grin:

Does make sense and ticks the boxes -

1. Not contracted anywhere so will not involve compensation

2. Likely to sign up on a realistic and affordable wage

3. Legend of the club so may entice some of the stay-away fans to return back this season

4. Has been promoted from this league

5. Proved to be able to manage on a shoestring - Barnsley, OAFC the first time

6. Prefers to get most of the players he has rather than splash cash (downfall at Barnsley but will appeal to the holder of the purse here)

That's six reasons why he should return and only his tenure at Huddersfield as really blotted his record.

Granted we had some dire players when he was here last time but 99% of those were who he inherited or homegrown. He got the best out of some of those though.

Severely constrained by a budget pre-Chris Moore, he still managed to entice the likes of Eyres, Sheridan and Corazzin to the club.

The ability of the players we have at moment isn't the issue but their application. It's evident that the current regime cannot motivate the team and also cannot resolve the long-standing inability to score a goal.

Ritchie could prove to be our talisman on and off the pitch; he knew where the goal was during his playing career so can impart his knowledge onto the kids, still very popular with the fans and has nothing to lose. Royle is still regarded in high esteem despite failing last season and I don't think Ritchie can do any worse than what Penney is doing at moment.

"Severely constrained by a budget pre-Chris Moore"

Can you tell me where info came from? I remember at the time this being said yet whilst AR didn't spend transfer fees he had a decent lump of money for salaries.

Stuart Thom 40k

Steve Whitehall 30k I think.

Craig Dudley in the 20k bracket.

When he got serious cash he bought Chris Amstrong, fair play. Then again he did sign Wayne Gill. For 70k. Makes Colbeck look a steal.