Keeping it in the corner

What were peoples thoughts on this?

I got in a bit of an arguement with a guy behind who started booing loudly when Stephens and JC took it to the corner with 5 mins to go,

I heard Worthington come on and shout hold it up , (obviously instructions from the bench)

I for one was glad,

Scenarios

1, we don't keep it in the corner and swing the corner in , they head it out coutner attack and score, crowd gets on players back who then panic and possibly throw away 2 points,

2, we don't keep it in the corner and swing in the corner and score, 3 nil an extra goal on our GD and more fans can celebrate,

3, we keep it in the corner and earn a valuable 3 points ,

3, for me all the way I don't think I could have coped with it being 2-1 for the last 5 minutes

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

No-one complained or booed when we kept it in the corner in the 2-0 victory away at Forest a few seasons back. Nor at Leeds when we won at Elland Road.

Theory? It's a la mode to catcall and boo when we're not doing particularty well in the table. Yet it's all OK when we're flying high.

I got in a bit of an arguement with a guy behind who started booing loudly when Stephens and JC took it to the corner with 5 mins to go,

I heard Worthington come on and shout hold it up , (obviously instructions from the bench)

I for one was glad,

Scenarios

1, we don't keep it in the corner and swing the corner in , they head it out coutner attack and score, crowd gets on players back who then panic and possibly throw away 2 points,

2, we don't keep it in the corner and swing in the corner and score, 3 nil an extra goal on our GD and more fans can celebrate,

3, for me all the way I don't think I could have coped with it being 2-1 for the last 5 minutes

Thoughts?

My view would be that I don't think it has proved to be a particularly successful tactic on the occasions I've seen it. Whenever i see it used the Ref tends to give a free kick to the defending side or they win it back. If it is done really well i don't think it ever wastes more than 15 seconds tops. What made me laugh last night was that we did it and won another corner from it and then Colbeck took a quick corner to try it again! Latics - you couldnt make it up!

To me it's not so much about flying high, it's more about run of form.

Given the context of our run of form and precarious postion, sticking with it in the corner is exactly the right thing to do. Plenty of people moan about squeeky bum time if it's 2-1. And if it had gone 2-1 the calls fr Penney's head would have been very loud.

So we keep it there and people have come away positive about a comfortable victory.

So, yes, good question, and absolutely the right thing to do.

My view would be that I don't think it has proved to be a particularly successful tactic on the occasions I've seen it.

Tend to agree with that, although I guess the counter-argument is that if you give it away then at least it is in the least dangerous place still, whereas if you cross it in the keeper might catch and launch it down the other end, if you try and pass around you might concede it in centre mid etc. I guess I don't mind it when you are in the 4th minute of stoppage time but it shows the wrong mentality to be doing it with 5 or 10 minutes to go.

I felt with 5 mins to go it's too soon to be bumming around. I think the reaction was more to do with all the :censored:e we've had to watch this season and no little action and excitement. Then given the chance to see a little more of what we had last night tipped the balance.

the counter-argument is that if you give it away then at least it is in the least dangerous place still, whereas if you cross it in the keeper might catch and launch it down the other end.

Liverpool 0–2 Arsenal (26 May 1989)

A Barnes run was intercepted by Richardson, and he passed the ball back to his goalkeeper John Lukic. Lukic bowled the ball out to right-back Lee Dixon; his long ball to Alan Smith was flicked on, finding Michael Thomas surging forward from midfield. Thomas evaded a challenge by Nicol and raced into the penalty area, slipping the ball past the advancing Grobbelaar to score Arsenal's second

Former 'tic Bruce Grobbelaar still blames John Barnes for this title loss because he did not take the ball into the corner.

I'm all for it once we get into stoppage time.

Hate it, hate it, hate it! And I did vocalise my disapproval last night. And at Leeds. And at Forest. And every other time we do it.

I think its unsporting, not entertaining, and liable to result in the ref adding time on anyway. In fact I remember Leeds doing this years ago at BP, and the ref added the time on and we scored 2 goals at the death to snatch a draw. Leeds Mgr complained afterwards, that as the ball was in play the ref should have not added it on.

Whilst I hate it, and would ban it, I could understand if not agree if we were 1-0 and hanging on. But it was 2-0, and we had prevented Orient looking like a threat and had a chance to get a third.

I would ban it, and give a free kick for obsruction. Watching other teams do it to us when we are chasing a game is also very frustrating.

Stop it happening, and get more 'football' for everyone to watch.

Hate it, hate it, hate it! And I did vocalise my disapproval last night. And at Leeds. And at Forest. And every other time we do it.

I think its unsporting, not entertaining, and liable to result in the ref adding time on anyway. In fact I remember Leeds doing this years ago at BP, and the ref added the time on and we scored 2 goals at the death to snatch a draw. Leeds Mgr complained afterwards, that as the ball was in play the ref should have not added it on.

Whilst I hate it, and would ban it, I could understand if not agree if we were 1-0 and hanging on. But it was 2-0, and we had prevented Orient looking like a threat and had a chance to get a third.

I would ban it, and give a free kick for obsruction. Watching other teams do it to us when we are chasing a game is also very frustrating.

100% agree...........Well said!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like it but it's called 'needs must'.

In my opinion, protecting the 3 points was of vital importance last night. Just because you've out-shot a team 17 to 3 doesn't mean they cannot go up the other end and score.

You could see the relief all around at the final whistle, especially on Simon Blitz's face.

Oh, and to the bloke in the main stand who was dishing out good-humoured stick to Penney and Grey, learn when to call it a day. You ended up sounding like a raving derelict by repeating the same joke 4 times.

And the TTA wonder why crowds are nearly below 3K. Taking the ball into the corner against a side that youve outshot 17-3 and also hold a 2 goal lead against.

No

The reason crowds are crap is because we have not won enough games by comfortably outplaying the opposition and going 2-0 up and then seeing out the game. I hope we do it everry game between now and the end of the season. Your only going to waste time if you are leading with a few minutes to go anyway more of the same please!

for me its a no no I hate it when its done.

Now a days there seems to be some unwritten rule that as soon as the player trys to shield the ball for more than a few seconds the other teams gets a free kick we have seen it several times at BP this season. It doesnt waste much time at all we would have been far better trying to create something going forward with a decent set piece

whos to say that from the free kick orient got. The ball wouldn't have been cracked forward bounce over gregan and let there striker run into score all ifs and buts but i wish we wouldnt do it

I for one was glad,

Scenarios

Thoughts?

Its not really in the "spirit" of the game... But I know people care less about this sort of stuff these days...

for me its a no no I hate it when its done.

Now a days there seems to be some unwritten rule that as soon as the player trys to shield the ball for more than a few seconds the other teams gets a free kick we have seen it several times at BP this season. It doesnt waste much time at all we would have been far better trying to create something going forward with a decent set piece

whos to say that from the free kick orient got. The ball wouldn't have been cracked forward bounce over gregan and let there striker run into score all ifs and buts but i wish we wouldnt do it

my thoughts exactly,

I felt more for JC and Stephens getting the abuse, the instruction came from Worthy who obviously relayed this from the bench,

I remember it being quite funny once – a few years back when Heskey had been getting all sorts from some set of backward Eastern Europeans in a qualifier. Beckham made a point of calling him over to timewaste in front of them all and they ran the clock down, much to the delight of the said knuckledraggers.

I would ban it, and give a free kick for obstruction. Watching other teams do it to us when we are chasing a game is also very frustrating.

I hate it and would outlaw it - the same as the goalkeeper who does not pick up the ball until a forward is compelled to close him down - although within the law, it's against the spirit of the game :ranting: