Match Thread: Bristol Rovers.

A win is a win is a win.

Very good result whatever the circumstances. When was the last time we were as high as 16th?! :lol:

Not safe yet by any means, but if we beat Southend at home and manage a point (maybe 2) in the other games we should be.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheltenham 5-Bury 2. Cheltenham take ahuge step to safety, Bury drop out of play off spot.

And Notts County can overtake Dale .

And Dale would have guaranteed promotion if they drew. Bottlers

And Celtic lost to Ross County. Not that I am a Rangers fan.

And Dowie lost 4-1 lost l v Burnley.

Is that as near a perfect set of results as we could have wished for other than Yeovil.

Looking at the games to play I think Tranmere and Exeter will survive and if we beat Southend I think they will be down.

Looking at Gills fixtures below, I can't see them getting more than 6 points, so a win from our remaining games could be enough!!

Milwall (a) Norwich (a) Wycombe (a) Southampton (h) Leeds (h) Brighton (h)

That win today could turn out to be the result that keeps us up!!

Idiots , but they reported it themselves so that could stand them in good stead

Bury were kicked out of the FA Cup for something very similar. Does anyone know if a team has done this before in the League and what the punishment was?

Great win today - amazing to see that we've lost the same amount of games as Bristol Rovers & only one more than MK Dons. Maybe there is something positive for Penney to build on here next season.

MK Dons received 9 bookings today - dirty, dirty Ince.

The less said about the first half the better, it wasn't great from either side.

Second half we came out brilliantly...Smalley and Colbeck played very well giving us pace and width down the flanks. The first goal was beautiful, a brilliant ball from Black and a great finish from Guy who impressed me again. Then Black put in another wonderful ball and Pav should have scored...had that gone in I reckon we could have gone on to bag three or four. As it happened we continued to pressure but Bristol looked decent going forward without creating too much, though it felt we needed the second. Then, with us playing just fine, DP took off Colbeck. Baffling. I know I'm openly a big fan of Colbeck but even his knockers (and there are many) must have seen how well he did second half and what he offered us. So Colbeck comes off, Smalley is switched from where he was giving DJ a lot of trouble and Guy, proving a nuisance to the CBs, is moved to the right. Sure enough, they go straight out and score. From that point on it looked like there would only be one winner. We had lost all our fluidity down the flanks and were inviting Bristol onto us. And then, against the run of play, we get the winner. Whits has had his fair share of booboys too who've criticised him for going missing or not putting a shift in...well he worked brilliantly to keep play alive down in the corner and then, looking like he had nowhere to go, somehow managed to get a ball into the box...the keeper came but not far enough and Deano got his head on it...goalie should have saved it but could only push it into the net and we were out of jail.

Excellent result and excellent performance second half until the subtitution. Beat Southend at BP and pick up a point elsewhere somewhere along the way and we should be home. From the way we played in portions today and in portions last week, and by all accounts on Tuesday, there is something decent there to build on if we can stay up.

I wonder if a heavy fine is too weak a punishment? Surely, the FA have to send out a message.

Say Leeds needed to win to gain promotion and Beckford was suspended could they decide to play him anyway and simply pay the fine? You would also think that the referee should be given a list of suspended players on match day so he can double check when the team sheets are handed in.

I know Hartlepool didn't intend for this to happen but Gary Liddle is now going to miss the Stockport (h) game and it's a match they have a good chance of winning without him. He played in the match against Brighton (h) and this will have been a much closer contest. Maybe they wouldn't have won this game without him. We'll never know.

But how will we (or Exeter, or Orient etc) feel if we go down & Hartlepool stay up by 1 point?

The less said about the first half the better, it wasn't great from either side.

Second half we came out brilliantly...Smalley and Colbeck played very well giving us pace and width down the flanks. The first goal was beautiful, a brilliant ball from Black and a great finish from Guy who impressed me again. Then Black put in another wonderful ball and Pav should have scored...had that gone in I reckon we could have gone on to bag three or four. As it happened we continued to pressure but Bristol looked decent going forward without creating too much, though it felt we needed the second. Then, with us playing just fine, DP took off Colbeck. Baffling. I know I'm openly a big fan of Colbeck but even his knockers (and there are many) must have seen how well he did second half and what he offered us. So Colbeck comes off, Smalley is switched from where he was giving DJ a lot of trouble and Guy, proving a nuisance to the CBs, is moved to the right. Sure enough, they go straight out and score. From that point on it looked like there would only be one winner. We had lost all our fluidity down the flanks and were inviting Bristol onto us. And then, against the run of play, we get the winner. Whits has had his fair share of booboys too who've criticised him for going missing or not putting a shift in...well he worked brilliantly to keep play alive down in the corner and then, looking like he had nowhere to go, somehow managed to get a ball into the box...the keeper came but not far enough and Deano got his head on it...goalie should have saved it but could only push it into the net and we were out of jail.

Excellent result and excellent performance second half until the subtitution. Beat Southend at BP and pick up a point elsewhere somewhere along the way and we should be home. From the way we played in portions today and in portions last week, and by all accounts on Tuesday, there is something decent there to build on if we can stay up.

Was Smalley's goal a result of his positional switch? Did DP spot a weakness in the other full back and fancy Dean against him in the air?

I'm only asking coz i dunno i wasn't at the match.

Was Smalley's goal a result of his positional switch? Did DP spot a weakness in the other full back and fancy Dean against him in the air?

I'm only asking coz i dunno i wasn't at the match.

nah it was a floated cross from the left wing to back post and smalley got above everyone - there were a few players involved. Smalley only came to the left after colbeck went off and guy went down the right hand side

Good summary- when we moved Guy to the right they looked very dangerous down their left, almost every Latics fan could tell you DJ was much better going forward than he was defending but Guy simply couldn't cover him and they go on to score from a good piece of build up down their left. I think taking off a winger when another winger has already come off was a bad move as we had no like for like replacement and it showed.

Good summary- when we moved Guy to the right they looked very dangerous down their left, almost every Latics fan could tell you DJ was much better going forward than he was defending but Guy simply couldn't cover him and they go on to score from a good piece of build up down their left. I think taking off a winger when another winger has already come off was a bad move as we had no like for like replacement and it showed.

dps old tatic of making a sub and then suffling a number of players about did us no favours at all. We were 6s and 7s for a few mins after Bristols goal.

Dont think its really been given much credit but how vital was Flahavans save. He hadnt really had that much to during the game a good same from the freekick apart but after Kuffour got into the box wriggled away from gregan somehow Hazell tried to tackle fell over the ball fell kindly to Kuffor again as Gregan couldnt recover and from 4 yards or some Flahavan manged to save it with his body legs and hold on. Probably the most important save of the season.......so far

dps old tatic of making a sub and then suffling a number of players about did us no favours at all. We were 6s and 7s for a few mins after Bristols goal.

Dont think its really been given much credit but how vital was Flahavans save. He hadnt really had that much to during the game a good same from the freekick apart but after Kuffour got into the box wriggled away from gregan somehow Hazell tried to tackle fell over the ball fell kindly to Kuffor again as Gregan couldnt recover and from 4 yards or some Flahavan manged to save it with his body legs and hold on. Probably the most important save of the season.......so far

Agreed excellent save, think he injured his leg but what is getting on my chest, is that we are not covering the far post at corners and at other vital moments. Flav made a finger tip save before this and god forbid, but if he had missed it there was no one at the far post to hoof it off the line. Why are we not covering the far post? grrrrrr its a massive weakness :ranting:

Oh yes massive "well done" to Joe Colbeck, gave his all again and the pace we have missed. Keep going Joe

it looked like they scored a good goal from where i was sitting, we dont have to make excuses all the time, it is not always someone's fault when conceeding. Thought the first half was dire, so lets give some credit to DP for once as we came out and looked a lot more dangerous in the 2nd half. If people are holding him accountable for the goal in this thread then surely he should also be accountable for making us play much better in the 2nd half no?

Pools Charged By Football Association

Posted on: Sat 10 Apr 2010

Pools have received charges from The Football Association relating to playing an ineligible player during Monday's game against Brighton & Hove Albion.

Gary Liddle collected his tenth yellow card of the season last Saturday against Leyton Orient, an offence which incurs an automatic two-game ban.

As soon as the error was discovered the Club contacted The FA immediately and they served two charges on Friday, one to the Club and one to Gary Liddle.

The Club have been given until 26th April to respond to the charges.

Liddle will be suspended from First Team football for Pools' games against Wycombe Wanderers and Stockport County.

Palace had 1 point deducted for a similar offence last season.

Linky

I think they drew that game.

I'm sure I've heard of other cases where 3 points have been deducted where the offending side has won the game in question. This would seem to be the fairest outcome.

Palace had 1 point deducted for a similar offence last season.

Linky

I think they drew that game.

I'm sure I've heard of other cases where 3 points have been deducted where the offending side has won the game in question. This would seem to be the fairest outcome.

I would be very surprised if Hartlepool are not deducted the 3 points tbh.

Very much needed win today, wasn't a great game by any means but the points were far more important.

First half was pretty uneventful, second half we came out with more purpose and a great cross from Black and cool finish from Guy gave us the lead, Rovers equalised with a well worked goal down the left which got them in behind us for a low cross and easy finish.

We deserve credit for not letting our heads drop and kept going, a good ball sent Whittaker away down the left and his floated cross was met by Smalley who got up highest to head in at the far post.

A hard fought and well deserved win IMO.

A mention too for referee Mark Halsey who looked and is a better referee than the normal standard we get in League 1, he really did try to play the advantage whenever possible and did a good job.

Apologies for the lack of chat kids. My day in front of the TV was interrupted by the TV and I wasn't back in time to open it.

If Apple were not so short-sighted I would have done it on my iPhone but it wouldn't work!