Tom Eaves

Well done the club management that will teach the same lesson as we taught Lee Hughes and O'Grady... can't muck about with us!

Bluff is called. Let's hope he hasn't got a hand of aces (well ten high would probably beat us).

I'd expect something like what Bury got for the Porter deal if he went.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This lad has done nothing to prove himself at senior level.

According to the stats (and they may be a little out of date) he has made 14 appearances as sub, failed to score any goals and been booked twice. That's it!

O.k, he may be prolific in the reserves and he could be an exciting prospect, but what, exactly, has he done to warrant whatever crap it is that his agent is most likely filling his head with?

If he doesn't want to play for Oldham, then fair enough, it's only natural that he should want the best opportunity for himself.

Let him go and stew in another club's reserve team, because we don't need another 'Billy Big Balls' at this club.

This lad has done nothing to prove himself at senior level.

According to the stats (and they may be a little out of date) he has made 14 appearances as sub, failed to score any goals and been booked twice. That's it!

O.k, he may be prolific in the reserves and he could be an exciting prospect, but what, exactly, has he done to warrant whatever crap it is that his agent is most likely filling his head with?

If he doesn't want to play for Oldham, then fair enough, it's only natural that he should want the best opportunity for himself.

Let him go and stew in another club's reserve team, because we don't need another 'Billy Big Balls' at this club.

Aside from this all being based on complete speculation... I think whilst some are overrating him some are also underrating him.

It's easy to say "he's not done it in the first team" but then it's also easy to forget he's still only 17. There's a crap load of potential there and as Lags said elsewhere - we've let players like Porter and Hughes leave because we couldn't afford to keep them. That's life. Players demanding £8k a week are hard to keep, no doubt about it. But (and again this is pure speculation) if Eaves wants an extra £500 a week should we not maybe take that gamble?

He should sign, hes going nowhere better than us in his whole career. Hes about as useful as Kiegan Parker

:huh:

You wonder why he doesn't want to sign? Maybe people like youngen here are a significant part of it?

He should sign, hes going nowhere better than us in his whole career. Hes about as useful as Kiegan Parker

Was it about thirty seconds at Southampton?

The amount of time he was on the pitch before he'd outperformed Abbott?

Looks a great prospect, and I think alot of clubs are well aware of that.

Aside from this all being based on complete speculation... I think whilst some are overrating him some are also underrating him.

It's easy to say "he's not done it in the first team" but then it's also easy to forget he's still only 17. There's a crap load of potential there and as Lags said elsewhere - we've let players like Porter and Hughes leave because we couldn't afford to keep them. That's life. Players demanding £8k a week are hard to keep, no doubt about it. But (and again this is pure speculation) if Eaves wants an extra £500 a week should we not maybe take that gamble?

Forgive me for being cautious...but we have had this 'exciting young prospect' fiasco in the past and all I'm saying is, that if the lad want's to run before he can walk, then the club should not stand in his way.

He may succeed elsewhere. If he does, then well done to him - he will always feel that it was the right move and Latics will be left to say "if only...".

There are no guarantees that he will succeed at Latics.

What concerns me, is that now this speculative information is out in the public forum, if he does stay, he will be under enormous expectation from the fans to deliver the goods and failure to do so will result in yet another whipping boy in the team.

I agree that Latics have to weigh up his potential and whether his contract demands are worthy of a gamble, with possible dividends from a potential money-spinning sale at a later stage. Again, given Latics' recent fortune in that department, I am not optimistic.

We're having contract disputes with an 18 year old. How rubbish. If he wants to go elsewhere let him go. If he doesn't want to be here then there's no point that he is. We'll get compensation regardless.

If he is just trying to get the best deal out of us then fair play. Hope it gets resolved soon.

We're having contract disputes with an 18 year old. How rubbish. If he wants to go elsewhere let him go. If he doesn't want to be here then there's no point that he is. We'll get compensation regardless.

If he is just trying to get the best deal out of us then fair play. Hope it gets resolved soon.

i disagree. u realy think an 18 year old player who has made a handfull of subs appearances and scored no goals should be encouraged to get whatever he can out of a small football club who have given him the chance in the first place? he should be greatfull we gave him a chance and helped develop his ability and show some gratitude and sign a contract thats on offer

i disagree. u realy think an 18 year old player who has made a handfull of subs appearances and scored no goals should be encouraged to get whatever he can out of a small football club who have given him the chance in the first place? he should be greatfull we gave him a chance and helped develop his ability and show some gratitude and sign a contract thats on offer

My thoughts exactly.

I posted this in the post-Yeovil thread last night.

And where was Eaves? Was DP in a strop 'cos he hasn't signed his contract yet and thought "I'll teach yer, yer likkle bugger. We'll have a nice day out in Yeovil and you can stay at home. There, that's told yer"

How about young Tom holding out because he doesn't want to be part of Penney's negative set up? Just a thought. Feel free to argue.

Bit worrying this story, and all though you really need to know the facts before making wild accusations it does seem to be pretty clear-cut. If the other lads can sign up then what is Eaves playing at? I'm guessing that there is a some kind of standard term contract that we offer to kids, and we can't break that without running the risk of these sort of things happening again and again...

Bad times, he really should be willing to sign up for a couple of years considering how many young lads we have brought through who have done the same - if we pay enough for Eardley who is the besy youngster I've seen at the club in years, then we must pay enough for Eaves.

How about young Tom holding out because he doesn't want to be part of Penney's negative set up? Just a thought. Feel free to argue.

Exactly. I wouldnt sign for us at the moment. Why on earth would you want to play as a striker in a team that doesnt attack? Under a manager who will probably forget you exist next week? In a falling to pieces ground, with hardly any fans, and those who are there abuse you anyway?

Good luck Tom. Get out while you still can.

Players demanding £8k a week are hard to keep, no doubt about it. But (and again this is pure speculation) if Eaves wants an extra £500 a week should we not maybe take that gamble?

£500 per week more than nothing would be all I'd be prepared to pay Eaves, and that's only because he look more promising than most! He's not even an adult yet and whilst he undoubtedly has potential he's clearly no first team striker at the moment.

If he's being a greedy :censored: then bin him for whatever we can get.

P.S Do non-professionals actually have 'agents'?! :blink:

Exactly. I wouldnt sign for us at the moment. Why on earth would you want to play as a striker in a team that doesnt attack? Under a manager who will probably forget you exist next week? In a falling to pieces ground, with hardly any fans, and those who are there abuse you anyway?

Good luck Tom. Get out while you still can.

Because he's an 18 year old kid who knows :censored: all about how football works and should have no opinion on tactics or stadium facilities.

His only concern should be training well and getting on the pitch.

I posted this in the post-Yeovil thread last night.

And where was Eaves? Was DP in a strop 'cos he hasn't signed his contract yet and thought "I'll teach yer, yer likkle bugger. We'll have a nice day out in Yeovil and you can stay at home. There, that's told yer"

Or it was a punishment for not turning up to an official club function?

This talk about how he should "show loyalty" to us for "giving him his chance" is total bollocks. We aren't a charity, if he wasn't cutting the mustard we'd have binned him off like we do with loads of other kids, he's doing better than average so he is considering offers from elsewhere, what's the difference? We have the youth scheme because it makes financial sense, not because we like to see the smiles on their little faces. And how did we get Porter again?

He should be grateful for what we have done for him but I don't think there is any harm in him trying for more if other clubs are interested in him. So long as both parties are happy then I don't see the problem. If we can't offer him as much or close to what others can then I think it's upto him what he does. We'll still get money out of him if he does go.

He should be grateful for what we have done for him but I don't think there is any harm in him trying for more if other clubs are interested in him. So long as both parties are happy then I don't see the problem. If we can't offer him as much or close to what others can then I think it's upto him what he does. We'll still get money out of him if he does go.

I'd suspect that's where the tribunal would kick in, and for one party to be pissed off.