North of England Campsites

footy68

If you want somewhere quiet, Dalegarth at Buttermere is great. There's a shower block and a handy stream to cool your beers. A very short walk to a pebble beach on the lake and 5/10 mins walk to the pub.

That looks a bit of a contender, the sort of thing we are after. Thanks

Ashes Lane Campsite, between Kendal and Staveley, if it's still there. Perfectly situated if you want a night out in Kendal or the solitude of the Lake District. I'd also recommend the Eagle and Child pub in Staveley.

I used to live in Kendal and have many happy memories of the town.

Ashes Lane Campsite, between Kendal and Staveley, if it's still there. Perfectly situated if you want a night out in Kendal or the solitude of the Lake District. I'd also recommend the Eagle and Child pub in Staveley.

I used to live in Kendal and have many happy memories of the town.

Avoid this at the end of the month as it's Kendal Calling (linkenstein)

There's a few closer to home, in and around Oldham. B&Q Car Park, Playing Fields near Haggate, Clayton...only seem to be open a few times a year. Very popular with Irish holiday-makers. Facilities probably not the best though as I have seen men squatting in the bushes to have a :censored: and pissing against trees.

Edited by Yard Dog

• 2 weeks later...

Just been to Spiers House Camp site in Yorkshire Moors (near Pickering). Very good site which also has Cabins for "posh" campers. Recommend it for families as they do activities for kids (as well as adults).

ALso we went to Go Ape at Dalby forest (10min drive away for the campsite) and that was brilliant!

Just got back from Waterside House camping, its a 5 minute walk from Pooley Bridge (which has 3 boozers within a stumbling distance of each other) and situated right alongside Ullswater lake. Recommended for familys.

Whilst I have not stayed in campsites, I have woreked and visted Ullswater. Lvely place. The steamship is great and its very tranquil. Theres quite a lot of water activities at the Pooley Bridge IIRC fleetwood?

I have stayed at a Compsite in France, and it seems to be very wells et up, are there such places in the UK?

Whilst I have not stayed in campsites, I have woreked and visted Ullswater. Lvely place. The steamship is great and its very tranquil. Theres quite a lot of water activities at the Pooley Bridge IIRC fleetwood?

Yes there is mate, you can hire rowing boats (2 people) and canadian canoes from the campsite for £10 per hour or £25 for half a day or you can take a mountain bike for £15 for the day which is great for the location you will be staying.

If you want to stay on a park with its own pub then theres Park Foot site which is 2 minutes away from Waterside and again very close to Pooley Bridge.

Any advice for two idiots planning on camping at Penrith (Kendal Calling) this weekend, given that the weather is expected to be dire!?

Line your bag with a bin bag. Put everything in bin bags when you aren't using them. Take loads of bing bags.

Bin bags really.