Latics 2-1 Bournemouth

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick lets sell Taylor for a few hundred grand to some Championship club because he isn't good enough for us. Surely Lomax can do a better job there.

I want the lad to get back to what he was.

He's nowhere near that at the moment. Mate who's a Peterborough fan commented in much the same way last week.

Ahead of Smalley. Behind Alessandra. He should be ahead of Jones in the pecking order but I'm not sure he warrants it.

Edited by opinions4u

Most of the team were poor.

Tounkare was quality, shame he had to hold the ball up for 30 seconds every time he got due to no support from midfield. Stephens is suffering from Rubens syndrome ( new contact and poor since )

M'voto looks better now he seems to be settling in.

Great substiutions from Dickov and Lewis was superb when he came on seeing as itshis 1st game back and he seems to balance the team out.

Black had an awful 1st half but fair play to him he kept going and in the end set up the goal for 2nd i th

Tounkare was quality, shame he had to hold the ball up for 30 seconds every time he got due to no support from midfield. Stephens is suffering from Rubens syndrome ( new contact and poor since )

Great substiutions from Dickov and Lewis was superb when he came on seeing as itshis 1st game back and he seems to balance the team out.

Black had an awful 1st half but fair play to him he kept going and in the end set up the goal for 2nd i th

Black had an awful 1st half but fair play to him he kept going and in the end set up the goal for 2nd i think.

All in all i'll definitly take that all day long we look much fitter aswell.

Oh and to the c**** who was booing Brill after the goal what a bunch of pricks.

Edited by nava

Watched Taylor for large chunks of the game today when we were in possesion and out of it.

He rarely puts in a strong challenge,

Sloppy in control,

Is unsure of his positioning when in the defence,

Does not overlap after neat work to create the overlap,

Seems knackered or not interested when we are on the attack and there is space for him to move into. At times it looked as though he was marking their players when we were on the attack! Space chris, space!

I could go on but that would be silly.

IMO he needs a few games out of the team to then earn his way back into it.

When he switched to the right mid 2nd half he had a lot more about him.

Very lucky today, but a crackin 3 points against a strong developed bournemouth.

For me lewis made the difference, and credit must go to dickov for the tactical switch.

For long parts it was a poor performance (perhaps the worst I have seen this season), but I liked the fact that we forced our way back into the game and continued to try to play the game teh right way. Too many times I have looked at my watch at 4:25 when we are 0-1 down at home and the oppo are time-wasting and had a really crap last half hour - full marks to the team. Especially after the confidence chooping result last week. Really really top stuff - Win when playing badley and all that.

Tounkare looks ok up front, but Kelly and Feeney have yet to impress. Midefield and defence are chipping in regularly with goals which is great, but to have a successful season we need to get some strikers in form.

Want to see their goal again - but looked very (VERY) poor from Dean.

Very impressed with Dickov's substititions. Alessandra made such an impact. I was surprised at Furman coming off but what a difference it made when the formation changed. Kelly also looks a decent player who will make things happen.

Well done Paul Dickov, not a great performance but you made the decisions that brought home the 3 points.

Who are the d***s who will not leave Brill alone. Get behind the whole team.

Taylor is quite clearly as thick as pig sh1t.

Always inside, then when the midfield look to spread it wide he is never there.

I would have Lewis LW, Jones and Furman in the middle next week as Stephens isnt doing it atm and have Dikaba right wing and just drop taylor, doesnt do his job ie put crosses in or at the very least STAY WIDE so is redundant in terms of usefulness.

IF IF taylor is going to play it is right wing and nothing else, he at least showed the slightest glimpse of having a clue when put into his correct position.

If he plays right wing id say to him 'if you cut inside more than 4 times a game you will be fined half a weeks wage' that'll soon stop him.

Edited by shefflatic

Would not boo him, but he doesn't do very much to gain support. An average keeper at best, and does seem prone to some rather large individual mistakes.

Petr Cech and Joe Hart both made horrendous errors of judgement during the past week, they can happen to the best.

Petr Cech and Joe Hart both made horrendous errors of judgement during the past week, they can happen to the best.

Of course. All keepers will make errors, but I believe Brill makes more than most.

He is an average 'keeper - we have had much better at BP over the years. I will always support the bloke whilst he plays, but think its an area we should look to improve - is Fleming still here?

not bad to say we had 9 men for most of the game! furman and stephens hardly touched the ball going forward.

worryingly could have slotted this game into last years performances up to the goal, didnt look like scoring and one goal from a mistake would send us under. but was good to see the right intent from Dichov a striker on for a midfielder is not something we saw last year and as soon as we got the equiliser it felt a winner was on the way!

overall id be pretty sick 2nite if i was a bournemouth fan to get nothing out of the game (should have been game over but their striker missed a sitter one on one) but its the result that matters and winning a game we didnt deserve to will surely give the lads confidence going into 2 difficult away games

Brill 5 - distribution too predictable and always feels like a mistake is around the corner at the minute

Lee 6 - stuck to his task quite well

Black 6 - has to rely on his scrambling a bit too much when beaten to the ball but solid enough

Hazell 7 - predictably solid

M'voto 6 - improving, should be effective away from home, passing not his strong point

Taylor 5 - short of confidence, think he knows defenses have figured him out

Jones 4 - not really in the game 2day, maybe not fully fit

Stephens 4 - annonymous today, nothing going forward

Furman 5 - looked tired, not much going forward either, competent defesive work

Tounkare 8 - looks our chief threat by a long way still has a lot to learn but results rest alot on him trobling defenses at the minute

Feeney 6 - busy without creating much substantial could

Kelly - 6 - intent shown with his substitution, change of shape troubled bournmouth.

Alessandra - 8- looked a threat, but needs to do it more consistantly

Would not boo him, but he doesn't do very much to gain support. An average keeper at best, and does seem prone to some rather large individual mistakes.

from where i was at in rre he looked to just stand there when there free kick came in then stood arms wide open...it was either a very good shot on goal well placed or brill was well out of position....

plus why oh why do we keep kicking it out to the right every time....you have taylor in acres of space but nope,it always goes right.

piss poor game today i thought,far too many individual errors poor vision or non at all,bad passing and we seem devoid of ideas except hoof....when we play it on the floor sharp n quick we paste teams..

not happy with the game but pleased we have won and ground it out,think if there shot wich hit the bar had gone it then it would of been 4 or 5 again.

stephens needs a game or 2 out,like happened to jarrett today,get his sharpness back because he did very very little until last 10 mins....

feeney,why did we blow most of our budget on him.no pace cant shoot and spent most of the game on his arse trying to con the ref....when he did get fouled legite he didnt get it because of his previous cons...

Now you've made me worried in case Chelsea and Man City come knocking on our door fighting it out for Brill's services.

plus why oh why do we keep kicking it out to the right every time....you have taylor in acres of space but nope,it always goes right.

Especially when their right back is 36 years old and well worth attacking.

If he plays right wing id say to him 'if you cut inside more than 4 times a game you will be fined half a weeks wage' that'll soon stop him.

While I'm not old enough to remember him as a player, Stanley Matthews spent much of his career on the left, cutting inside. It isn't the cutting inside that's the problem. It's the predictability of it.

Edited by opinions4u

im pleased we won today, Bournemouth were probably the better team but they deserved to lose for all of their time wasting.

first half was alright, but the free kick for their goal should never have been given. he fell over and took furman with him... good finish though.

taylor barely touched the ball until he was moved onto the right with lewi on the left. both became involved and we made chances.

brill - 6 - didnt look like he could do much for the goal in the chaddy.

lee - 8 - he can tackle, pass, get forward, defend and score. i think he'll be a important player for us this season

hazell - 6 - nothing wrong, decent performance

m'voto - 7 - played well, not alot got past him

black - 6 - not the best defender sometimes but a good cross for the winner

jones - 5 - didnt do much - id play him in the centre next week

furman - 6 - did what he had to do and some good passing

stephens - 5 - is he unfit? he didnt play well today and his passing was bad. give him a rest next game and maybe he'll be better

taylor - 6 - very quiet on the left but played well on the right

tounkara - 8 - i really like him as a striker, he's pretty fast, strong and will score some goals for us

feeney - 7 - he gave their defenders a tough time and should have scored in the second half

alessandra - 8 - start him next week, he changed the game and we were more attacking

kelly - 6 - didnt have much time to do anything.

It was a good turnaround today, the sign of a team on the up is to win, when you play either badly or below par.

Bornemouth deserved to win for their neat play, and lose for their timewasting tactics.

Dickov is to thank for the win, by good substitutions at the right time, and not giving up.

Lewi did well when he came on, and Kelly as an extra striker didn't really do much but he put himself about and panciked their defence.

For me M'Voto is poor, he can't kick a ball properly, why didn't Jarrett start, he's much better for me, and has good distribution. Gregan must be wondering why he can't get in the team, if M'Voto is playing.

Jones had an off day, and Taylor is on another planet, where is the player from 2 or 3 seasons ago, you don't lose the ability, but you can lose either confidence or motivation, or both?

Onwards and upwards, in the top 6 again.

"Taylor is on another planet, where is the player from 2 or 3 seasons ago, you don't lose the ability, but you can lose either confidence or motivation, or both?"

think its confidence, he's always looked lacking in motivation because he has never been a tackler, think he wants to make an impact but goes into his shell because its just not coming off

Last time we came from behind to win? Walsall at home during Shez' last season? 25th November 2008?

We didn't do it under Penney did we?

Joe royles last game at Walsall away, they went 1-0 up, smalley equalised before half time then ryan brooke scored with his first touch in professional football.

Be could to see Brooke back in the team soon.

And Fleming challenging Brill for that matter - Need to see goal again but looking like its Brill's fault - needs to be seen again though.

not bad to say we had 9 men for most of the game! furman and stephens hardly touched the ball going forward.

worryingly could have slotted this game into last years performances up to the goal, didnt look like scoring and one goal from a mistake would send us under. but was good to see the right intent from Dichov a striker on for a midfielder is not something we saw last year and as soon as we got the equiliser it felt a winner was on the way!

overall id be pretty sick 2nite if i was a bournemouth fan to get nothing out of the game (should have been game over but their striker missed a sitter one on one) but its the result that matters and winning a game we didnt deserve to will surely give the lads confidence going into 2 difficult away games

Brill 5 - distribution too predictable and always feels like a mistake is around the corner at the minute

Lee 6 - stuck to his task quite well

Black 6 - has to rely on his scrambling a bit too much when beaten to the ball but solid enough

Hazell 7 - predictably solid

M'voto 6 - improving, should be effective away from home, passing not his strong point

Taylor 5 - short of confidence, think he knows defenses have figured him out

Jones 4 - not really in the game 2day, maybe not fully fit

Stephens 4 - annonymous today, nothing going forward

Furman 5 - looked tired, not much going forward either, competent defesive work

Tounkare 8 - looks our chief threat by a long way still has a lot to learn but results rest alot on him trobling defenses at the minute

Feeney 6 - busy without creating much substantial could

Kelly - 6 - intent shown with his substitution, change of shape troubled bournmouth.

Alessandra - 8- looked a threat, but needs to do it more consistantly

That one on one was offside, (the one in second half? just missed the post?)

Agree with most of your ratings, but Lee did well, 7 for me, M'voto was better than what people give him credit for, also he has the pace that JJ and Greegs do not have, vital against Bournemouth as they had some pacey players.

Furman was better than anyone in midfield today, Stephens needs a rest, he has played nearly every game since Norwich last year for full 90 minutes most of the time, put him on Bench for few games, Ritchie Jones into CM, Taylor/Millar/Smalley out right, Alice on the left.

Feeney needs to improve.

I think picking Taylor out for criticism is wide of the mark today. Everything we did well in the first 20 mins involved him, then the ball stopped coming to feet and we lost the momentum. Alessandra's a better player for me, but then again i've said he had more potential for the past 3 seasons. Taylor on the right and Lewis on the left will see us beat a lot of teams, people are far too quick to write Taylor off and I think a number will end up looking a bit stupid as a result. I should add, i've nothing against Jones, he's a very capable player but when he's having a bad 'un he's a waste of a shirt at times, we'll have more consistency with LA and CT.

Yep singling out Taylor for criticism is bang out of order. Throw in Jones and Feeney alongside him then criticise away!

E4e

DOGRS

Its often said that you are not a bad team if you can pick up wins when you have not played so well.

Did not think Bournemouth were as good as people are making out. Both managers had done their homework and to some extent cancelled each others tactics out. Referee was as poor as I have seen for some time and that did not help matters.

Straight cough from Eddie Howe. It was a cross and not a shot. Brill knows he was in the wrong and I cannot see how it does any good some people booing a player.

Like people say your only have to see the clangers dropped recently by far betters keepers to take this mistake into context.

I believe that Brill is playing far better than when he came at first and has pulled some great saves off already this season.

Great wing by the boys today and the most pleasing aspect is the way they worked for each other near the end. At one time I am not too sure we would have made such a comeback.

Barry

The worrying thing for me before our comeback was the lack of penetration. Plenty of sides will come here this season and set their stall out to not get beat.

When we moved the ball quickly to feet in the first 15 mins or so, we looked a threat, but when the goal didn't come we resorted to a more direct style that was getting us nowhere.

A below par performance today but we ground out an unlikely win and that will do for me.

A special mention for lewi tonight, who added some much needed impetus when he came on.