NHL 2010/11

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think most people wanted the hawks in the playoffs over the stars, i'v been at the EPL playoffs this weekend following Phoenix so as hockey weekends go this one has been painful. Apart from the few hours of joy i had after the wings/hawks game when i thought we were going to stroll past the wild like we have done all season. Oh well, always next season.

I wanted the stars in. Mainly as it would have meant every team from the division in the post season, which would have been pretty remarkable.

... or i would have at least wanted the hawks to beat the wings and finish fifth so we would play them, pretty confident at hammering them.. instead we get the only other team that can match us for form, and the human wall that is Pekka Rinne... Gonna be watching very nervously, the Preds just are so good defnesively.

Should be fun though. the ducks finishing fourth is to be quite honest utterly incredible. If the RPG line gets going we will beat anyone. Have a sneaking feeling though that whoever wins from the Ducks and Preds will be the west's representative in the final... I just cant see anyone else beating either on current form....

oh, and Ducks in Helsinki!! :D

Right first round predictions time:

Weaker conference first...

Vancouver vs Chicago - Chicago

San Jose vs Los Angeles - San Jose

Detroit vs Phoenix - Detroit

Anaheim vs Nashville - Anaheim

And the East...

Washington vs Rangers - Washington

Philadelphia vs Buffalo - Philadelphia

Boston vs Montreal - Boston

Pittsburgh vs Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay

As much as I'd love us to get through, don't think we can get past them without Cooke, Malkin and Sid. If Sid is back early enough it could be a different story.

• 3 weeks later...

So, is that us all out this season?

Yup. Frigging pekka Rinne. They could seriously grind thier way all the way to the final. You Dev's fans should be jealous, they make the way you play look exciting. The Ducks are far too good to be out this early, but hey ho, think we will be a proper contender next year...

The Sharks look immense at the moment, I have to say. If Niemi finds some form I feel he could be picking up his second ring in two years.

• 1 month later...

So game 2 of the finals tonight, Canucks have the lead but i'm rooting for Boston, i predicted in January that the Canucks would win it all but i don't want them to! Who's everyone behind in this one?

So game 2 of the finals tonight, Canucks have the lead but i'm rooting for Boston, i predicted in January that the Canucks would win it all but i don't want them to! Who's everyone behind in this one?

I thought I'd dupport the 'Nucks, however as the games go by the more I feel a deep hatred and loathing for the Sedin's, and a massive admiration for Tim Thomas. I've also remembered its funny to see the Canadian's lose.

So, I have to say, I'm slightly rooting for Boston, last night makes it very, very interesting again.

Its been a reasonably low key final so far, possibly due to the fact there is no great spark between the teams. Last nights hit on Horton could change that though. Its also almost been overshadowed by the whole Winnipeg thing... Go Jets!

Just mental last night. I agree it's been a low key series given the lack of team rivalry but both games in Vancouver were close affairs, and Boston could be well set for the upset had TT not had a rush of blood to the head on Saturday night. It's well-placed...rooting for the Bruins anyway but just hope it goes the distance.

Just mental last night. I agree it's been a low key series given the lack of team rivalry but both games in Vancouver were close affairs, and Boston could be well set for the upset had TT not had a rush of blood to the head on Saturday night. It's well-placed...rooting for the Bruins anyway but just hope it goes the distance.

I know it is an obvious statement, however the next game is crucial. The Bruins have owned the 'nucks in the last two games (admittedly they were outshot last night, however the Sedin line was powderpuff and there werent many tough jobs for Thomas..) and the first two games in Vancouver were incredibly tight - could quite easily have gone the Bruins way.

Could quite conceivably have been a Bruns whitewash now with a bit of luck - the supposed best team in the league have a lot to prove on friday. against a very fired up B's...

Ironically that hit on Horton could have turned the series to the B's favour.

It was a horrible hit. Cookey would have been proud.

The Bs are all over them, Vancouver have a job on their hands now. Feel it depends a lot on Luongo's state of mind now, not exactly known for his mental fortitude.

I've not had much of an interest in the Finals... only just got around to the hit...

Am I out of order to say it's not that bad? Arms are down, no elbow. Bends his knees and hit's up, that's what you're taught to do. It's a little late, for sure, but if he doesn't catch him funny he might not even get an interference call on that.

You look at the guy on the ice and sure, he's not a clue where he is and has been hurt. You wouldn't wish that on any player... but then someone's taken a puck to the face in one of the other games and you wouldn't wish that on them either.

As hits go I think this is just one of those things. It's a rough game and that's part of it's charm... personally I don't think it's that bad.

I've not had much of an interest in the Finals... only just got around to the hit...

Am I out of order to say it's not that bad? Arms are down, no elbow. Bends his knees and hit's up, that's what you're taught to do. It's a little late, for sure, but if he doesn't catch him funny he might not even get an interference call on that.

You look at the guy on the ice and sure, he's not a clue where he is and has been hurt. You wouldn't wish that on any player... but then someone's taken a puck to the face in one of the other games and you wouldn't wish that on them either.

As hits go I think this is just one of those things. It's a rough game and that's part of it's charm... personally I don't think it's that bad.

I'll disagree on that one. Horton had released the puck long enough before Rome hit him for him to pull out of the check so I'd say it would have warranted an interference call even if it was a 'good' hit. It wasn't though, Horton was never looking in front of him and Rome was pretty much straight on and hit right in his face. I don't think it was malicious, but it was reckless and dangerous and the ban was warranted.

Surely if he didn't drop him against Chicago he won't drop him now?

He's already been given the nod for game 5 i think, brave move if so. Bruins have picked him to pieces. He's bound to become invincible in the next two games now that everyone is doubting him

Well i wasn't wrong, another tight game in Vancouver, i think this is going to game 7, i just can't see the Canucks getting a win in Boston

... and in turn, cant see the Bruins winning in Vancouver. It think it will be another battering tomorrow night, and the bruins bandwaggon will roll into Vancouver and get shut down again.

Its a shame, as Tim Thomas deserves to win the cup - however Boston really need to find some offence away from hom ice.

I cant believe people we even doubting Luongo starting in game five. You dont pay a goaltender £10m a year, with a no trade clause to go missing on home ice in the playoffs. That game was made for him. There's probably more of a shout to give schneider a game in Boston, and i'm sure he would have played if the next game was there, as its his virtual home town. Lou wont be left in for another cricket score though, if it happens again tomorrow.

Its the Nucks cup as far as I can see. Its a shame, as I think the B's will comprehensively outscore them in this series, however I cant see them winning in canada, even if the over-rated ginger muppets fail to turn up again..

... and in turn, cant see the Bruins winning in Vancouver. It think it will be another battering tomorrow night, and the bruins bandwaggon will roll into Vancouver and get shut down again.

Its a shame, as Tim Thomas deserves to win the cup - however Boston really need to find some offence away from hom ice.

I cant believe people we even doubting Luongo starting in game five. You dont pay a goaltender £10m a year, with a no trade clause to go missing on home ice in the playoffs. That game was made for him. There's probably more of a shout to give schneider a game in Boston, and i'm sure he would have played if the next game was there, as its his virtual home town. Lou wont be left in for another cricket score though, if it happens again tomorrow.

Its the Nucks cup as far as I can see. Its a shame, as I think the B's will comprehensively outscore them in this series, however I cant see them winning in canada, even if the over-rated ginger muppets fail to turn up again..

I hate the cannuks, bunch of weiners.

Nice call BigFin!

Game 7, baby! Going to be tired in work on Thursday. Vancouver deserve it over the season but Boston deserve it over the six games so far. If the Bruins get one early then they've got a shot.

It's cringeworthy to have to say, but I think injuries played a huge part in the Canucks' poor Finals performance.

Lots of top players too, Samuelsson, Raymond, Hamhuis who didn't play, and H.Sedin, Kesler, Higgins, Malhotra Edler who did.

Take nothing away from Boston though, hugely deserving winners of the Stanley Cup.

We'll be back.

Overslept from my pre-game nap and missed first two periods but Boston were even the better side in the third when you'd think Vancouver would have been all over them. East once again proving itself stronger in the end.

Hopefully a better season for all our teams next time around (bar Simpo's :wink:). I'm off to pray for Sidney Crosby.

Overslept from my pre-game nap and missed first two periods but Boston were even the better side in the third when you'd think Vancouver would have been all over them. East once again proving itself stronger in the end.

Hopefully a better season for all our teams next time around (bar Simpo's :wink:). I'm off to pray for Sidney Crosby.

As far as individual teams go but as a conference the West is stills stronger. As for our teams doing better there's no chance of the stars progressing next time round. Should think that the pens will though if Crosby is ever cleared to play, see how he fits in with Neal

Finally manged to watch it this morning - had it sky+'ed as knew I wouldnt see it yesterday. A lot asier to avaoid the hockey scores than footie scores when you have something recorded!!

I was made up for Boston actually. Having watched virtually every game of their whole run on ESPN the way they have won this cup is purely remarkable. I know every team wants to win, however thier drive was astounding. I actually got a bit emotional when Tim Thomas lifted the Conn Smythe, I cant thing of someone who deserves it more. (plus he used to play for Jokerit, therefore I can officially be happy for him!). Boston were awesome in game 7, throughly deserved it, and i've been saying all along the 'nucks (and the sedin's) were overrated - last night they finally showed thier true colours, and were ebaten by a team that wanted it more.

Big soft spot for the B's now - may have found my east coast team!

Can't wait for next season. Especially seeing that I will see the first game in Helsinki!!! B) The ducks will be stronger next year, and the RPG line will be even better, and we will have more depth with the youngsters being more experienced. If MVPerry can pull it off again we will be there or there abouts. Hilsy looks like he is on the mend, and Teemu has said he is resigning (possibly with the return of Kariya) - next season is looking very rosy! :)

We all hope Crosby is ok. The sport is massively lessensed without him.

Roll on october!