Players Reject Moves

Well if they went out on loan they wouldn't. They would get exactly the same, its just a case of the percentage of the wages we are left to pay.

It just adds to the ludicrousness of it then, dontcha think? And I bet they wonder why they only get offered month by month contracts once their "juicy one" expires here. Then again, the flip side is blame needs to be apportioned at the owners, who sack a previous managment regime they employed who've dished out said contracts.

Except of course that these are young, eager and (hopefully) fit lads - the attributes that PD craves in his players - plus an ability to play football the way he wants it played.

Can we say the same about the transfer listed players ?

Lomax, Jacobson, Holdsworth, Purdie and Worthington aren't old either. Worthington being the oldest at 27. Whether they can show the ability that served them well earlier in their careers remains to be seen and Jacobson has been knocking on the door with some impressive performances in the reserves.

Just watched the Gregan interview myself and he is very frank and honest, he has given up the captaincy as he is not playing and I don't think he expects to do so.

Just wants to play football anywhere at his age not much playing time left.

His face clearly doesn't fit, the best thing for him is to get the hell away from Latics and get playing some football somewhere.

To be fair I am not sure in Gregan case it is acase of face not fitting.

More a case of age and fitness catching up, it will be well past christmas before he is fully match fit.

Dickov said he did not blame Gregan, he did the same towards the end of his careeer (dropping to us!!)

And as other have said Gregan says he just wants to play.

Just watched the Gregan interview myself and he is very frank and honest, he has given up the captaincy as he is not playing and I don't think he expects to do so.

Just wants to play football anywhere at his age not much playing time left.

His face clearly doesn't fit, the best thing for him is to get the hell away from Latics and get playing some football somewhere.

its because he has been a model proffessional all his carear and a bloody good bloke as well,he understands the club needs to move forward in terms of playing style,and he has been totally upfront about it,faced it head on given up the captancy and hopefully he can get a deal out and just play his game....brilliant.

now what we need are the other players to follow suit and follow his example...im not being funny but if anybody has played to any level of football the ultimate thing is to play...not just turn up train and pick up a wage,but to play football...the fact they have rejected moves out of the club says it all,they couldnt give a toss about us or the club,there money motivated and happy to pick a cheque up....

take purdie,never gonna force his way into this squad,but has accepted all the medical treatments thrown at him and been looked after by our club,the very least is they could accept a move out as a gesture.

football is gonna get a massive kick in the bolloks shortly,players need to realise if you dont ply your trade in the greedy league you have to accept what proposals clubs offer you..

i would definately make it performance related pay,forget 2 and 3 year deals for journey men players,pay as you go deals with added incentives and rolling contracts,play a certain amount of games and you get rewarded,dont and you shoot yaself in the foot so to speak.

To be fair I am not sure in Gregan case it is acase of face not fitting.

More a case of age and fitness catching up, it will be well past christmas before he is fully match fit.

Dickov said he did not blame Gregan, he did the same towards the end of his careeer (dropping to us!!)

And as other have said Gregan says he just wants to play.

Greegs thinks this IS the case.

Another reason why players might not be keen on a move:

Stay at Latics, earn £100,000 this year. Move to another team on the basis that "you didn't fit, but you're a good player" to a League Two club who will keep you as a top earner as you have League One experience and earn £80,000 next year.

OR

Move from Latics on loan, still on £100,000 this year. Spend half a season in League Two showing that you're basically as good as what they already have and only earn £50,000 next year.

I know what I'd do.

Greegs thinks this IS the case.

As a post a couple of days ago pointed out - the average age of this team is about 23. That's not a coincidence, that's clearly the type of team that Dickov wants and that makes it obvious that Gregan is not the man in Dickov's plans.

Gregan's contribution last season can never be deminished, an astonishing thing for any pro to have done, but that doesn't make Dickov's decision the wrong one.

As a post a couple of days ago pointed out - the average age of this team is about 23. That's not a coincidence, that's clearly the type of team that Dickov wants and that makes it obvious that Gregan is not the man in Dickov's plans.

Gregan's contribution last season can never be deminished, an astonishing thing for any pro to have done, but that doesn't make Dickov's decision the wrong one.

So his face doesn't fit cos PD thinks he's too old.

PD said a while back that we need more talkers/leaders on the pitch. Well, SG has the biggest mouth of them all and he is/was club captain. I can appreciate that PD might not want to play Greegs every game but surely he still has a place in the squad based purely on his wealth of experience.

And all this business about him not being fit is, I'm led to believe, simply untrue, and that he's been fit for nearly 2 months.

The fact remains though Ackey, that SG feels it IS because his face doesn't fit.

Lomax, Jacobson, Holdsworth, Purdie and Worthington aren't old either. Worthington being the oldest at 27. Whether they can show the ability that served them well earlier in their careers remains to be seen and Jacobson has been knocking on the door with some impressive performances in the reserves.

Surely, that's what training & reserve team games are for. Clearly, their performances/attitudes hasn't impressed PD enough to warrant reversing the decision to place them on the transfer list.

To be fair, I can see Eddie's point because some of these players know clearly that they're not good enough for this level and have to accept that clubs in the lower divisions are their future. Whilst I wouldn't expect them to automatically accept less cash elsewhere, hanging about the club on the off-chance someone gets injured is a risky strategy because surely it's better to be playing football even at a lower level than not playing at all.

No ambition.. If they go on loan thay still get the same money, just paid by both clubs involved. These players are arrogant and think they are better than they are. They wont be laughing when they dont find a club at the end of the season when thay are fighting with other released pros for contracts. If Purdie is one of them, then he needs to ashamed, as that lad needs to get his career back on track. Who is going to take him after 2 years out at the end of the season??

I wonder how many of us would jump at the chance of working 100+ miles away from our current location over night... Where would you stay ? how much would it cost ? when would you see the kids ?

Nothing is ever straight forward...

I'd say this maybe alot more important than people think. I guess it depends upon marital status, kids, how long they have been at Oldham (or in the North West). But would many of us really do this? Drag the wife and kids to, say, Gateshead, taking them out of their old school and into a new one - for what could be three months, before going back?

Or would you leave the wife and kids for at least three months, for no extra money, well a loss as you have to pay two lots of accomodation, Council Tax, etc.?

I'd need an offer of a contract for at least a couple of years before you'd catch me upping sticks in that scenario.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Another reason why players might not be keen on a move:

Stay at Latics, earn £100,000 this year. Move to another team on the basis that "you didn't fit, but you're a good player" to a League Two club who will keep you as a top earner as you have League One experience and earn £80,000 next year.

OR

Move from Latics on loan, still on £100,000 this year. Spend half a season in League Two showing that you're basically as good as what they already have and only earn £50,000 next year.

I know what I'd do.

Utter tripe pal

So his face doesn't fit cos PD thinks he's too old.

PD said a while back that we need more talkers/leaders on the pitch. Well, SG has the biggest mouth of them all and he is/was club captain. I can appreciate that PD might not want to play Greegs every game but surely he still has a place in the squad based purely on his wealth of experience.

And all this business about him not being fit is, I'm led to believe, simply untrue, and that he's been fit for nearly 2 months.

The fact remains though Ackey, that SG feels it IS because his face doesn't fit.

This is all about his play bonus and the fact he doesnt get on with Taggert - End of!

Thanks Sean - True latics Legend!

Players Reject Moves - Corney

34 professionals for a team like ourselves is far too many. Makes you wonder if players like Gregan being made available are being forced on the club because other players are refusing to leave?

If players want to fight for a place here then that's great but as Corney says at least 4 players have refused moves. A bigger effort needs to be made to move players on and fast. Perhaps paying a percentage of players wages for the rest of the season to get them out of the club if neccessary. Not ideal but there's a lot of waste as it is on the playing side.

In real terms Dickov has not actually brought in too many new players - Feeney is looking like a mistake and he won't be low cost.

Of the others, Jones and Jarrett are catching the first team, as are the loanees (who are probably subsidised by their parent club) and Kelly is on the bench. That just leaves Dikaba and Christophe who are on short term deals.

It is unfortunate that the players he inherited contained a few duffers in Worthington, Colbeck, Purdie(*) plus Lomax

and the half decent Holdsworth and Jacobson.

Also - I can understand that a player may not want to move out of the league or even to league 2 at this stage of the season - if it does not feel right then they do not have to move.

But the question remains that should Dickov have been allowed to bring in the permanent signings before some others had moved on?

(*) Sorry for the lad as the injuries have ruined his career

If only Craig Davies had the same attitude ................. No ........ He moved on when asked even moving all the way down South to play for Brighton, to get off the wage bill of the club, as i have mentioned before he loves the club in a personal way, backed up by that celebration at Brighton.

its because he has been a model proffessional all his carear and a bloody good bloke as well,he understands the club needs to move forward in terms of playing style,and he has been totally upfront about it,faced it head on given up the captancy and hopefully he can get a deal out and just play his game....brilliant.

now what we need are the other players to follow suit and follow his example...im not being funny but if anybody has played to any level of football the ultimate thing is to play...not just turn up train and pick up a wage,but to play football...the fact they have rejected moves out of the club says it all,they couldnt give a toss about us or the club,there money motivated and happy to pick a cheque up....

take purdie,never gonna force his way into this squad,but has accepted all the medical treatments thrown at him and been looked after by our club,the very least is they could accept a move out as a gesture.

football is gonna get a massive kick in the bolloks shortly,players need to realise if you dont ply your trade in the greedy league you have to accept what proposals clubs offer you..

i would definately make it performance related pay,forget 2 and 3 year deals for journey men players,pay as you go deals with added incentives and rolling contracts,play a certain amount of games and you get rewarded,dont and you shoot yaself in the foot so to speak.

Depends if he is one of the players who have rejected the moves.. i think you used purdie as a general example though..

Whichever players they are, i hope they have very good reasons for rejecting the move..

I wonder how many of us would jump at the chance of working 100+ miles away from our current location over night... Where would you stay ? how much would it cost ? when would you see the kids ?

Nothing is ever straight forward...

A lot of the points raised I agree with, but this deserves special mention. From League 1 downwards (its not we will be able to flog our ressies to someone higher) to BSP as I doubt many of the teams below that would be able to afford any % of the wages- the transfers are not ones we are looking to get experience more ones we want rid off.

In total there are 28 clubs where commuting from the same base to their location would be feasible, often depending where you live to commute to Oldham from. So for example I've included Gateshead, Notts County and Carlisle as depending on where you live you might be able to do it (Gateshead is a big push and Notts County is a bigger one).

Of those 28, 3 are above us, and Dale (who are close), so highly unlikely to want our cast-offs, Hudds have plenty of players anyway. In league 2 the top 5 are all counted, so are unlikely to need any players due to injuries but could be good options for a longer term move in Jan, as they look for extra quality to help with promotion and Accy who are 9th can be considered similar. That leaves 18 clubs most of whom are in areas where commuting to from a players current base could be problematic, only 2 or 3 of them are places that might not have any problems. They are Bradford, Stockport and Alty. Stockport as we know are skinter than skint, Alty are bottom of the BSP and look certanties to go down, so 1.) they are unlikely to have any money and 2.) I wouldn't go there to put myself in the shop window. Bradford are a possibility but since I would think at least one player who has turned down a move is Huddersfield connected I can't see going there being all that popular.

Yes, Mr. Corney some of the players in our squad have turned down moves but frankly I can't blame them for doing so for what could be 1 month. Instead I find myself questioning this as:

1.) Its the second article/public statement in as many weeks from someone on the board saying we are skint and this is why (the cynic in me is questioning if this is to give the fans a warning shot for much worse news)

2.) We have signed at least 2 players on short-term deals since the transfer window shut, if we were that skint now surely it makes no sense to sign these players when we have decent players in the ressies playing in the same position.

3.) Finally my thoughts go to the person who signed the contracts and authorised the money dealings, now who could that be Mr. Chairman

Regarding JJ, he appeared to be making his way closer to the matchday squad but the signing of Cedric tells me that Dickovs made his mind up now and it's him and Black for LB.

In respect of players turning down the chance of 1st team football elsewhere rather than our reserves, personally I'd take them out of the reserves if that's their attitude. Let them sit on their tidy contract and jobless future if they wish, but not at the expense of the next Brooke, Bembo-Lita or Matty Carrs coming through! And when people cry about them wanting to honour their contract, well I'm sure if a club in the Prem came knocking for our next star and we refused to sell (not that we would, seems we can't give them away cheap enough) then such player would then start doing a "Berbatov" to force the move. Honouring contracts is fine and dandy where it suits...for both parties! On this instance, these players need to realise their bread and butter is on the line and it isn't at Latics...turning down the chance to prove themselves elsewhere seems stupid and damaging for both parties involved.

Edited by boundaryblue80