The Ashes 2010-11

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen the "snicko" on that one.

I was half asleep at the time, but didn't think he'd touched it.

Snicko is by no means conclusive as it reflects bat hitting leg as well as bat hitting ball. It was rejected as a referral tool because it was considered less reliable than hot spot.

Interesting to see the Aussie players applaud Bell for his ton but completely blank Cook's effort.

Fed up of clapping him! :grin:

I’d say so too. He’s been a good member of the side for a fair few years now; and has ‘come to the party’ at a few key moments; specifically in the field with some of his game changing catches and run outs......but his form with the bat was always his Achilles heel; he hasn’t / doesn’t score regularly enough to be a test #5.

Collingwood is a fine example of how the memory and/or statistics can lie. He has actually failed against the minor nations and suceeded at the big moments. Going off memory only, and (cheekily) leaving this series aside, he averages something like 52 against SA, Convicts and India. Also, will retire as the second highest hitter of sixes for England in Test match history, which is quick a thing for someone who is a blocker. I think his time is up but I have the utmost respect for someone who made the most of his talent, god knows the teams we could have had if Hick, Ramprakash, Flintoff, Harmison and many others had the same attitude.

You forget one crucial fact. Punter brought his team up saying NEVER EVER EVER WALK so payback. Hughes was blatantly trying it on, Hadin claims he didnt see it clearly yeah right.

Punter, oddly, has the obsession with players walking when the fielder claims the catch but it gets referred, and asked all captains to get their players to accept the fielder's claim. Makes sense given that the cameras are :censored:e at proving a catch, but he could have shown a lead by walking on a number of occasions when he has clearly hit the ball.

Edited by leeslover

Anyone seen the Droylesden England Flag with the Latics crest in the top corner?

Yeah I saw that.

As for Collingwood (and I may be biased due to his North-Eastern roots) but he has been a superb servant of English cricket. Only the fact that our bowlers have generally played well has meant he hasn't gotten more wickets. His batting average of over 40, shows he was pretty good with the bat. 9 months ago, he was a little bit like the opposite of Bell, when he got big runs, it mattered. Hence why his average against some of the better teams is probably so good, sometimes he has struggled on the batting paradise pitches to cash in. Plus he may be England's best ever fielder.

He has gone out with dignity too. OK he realised that retiring before he was pushed makes him look good, but a lot of other players in all sports could learn from that.

Would have been nice to end it today but then again, good to make the convicts have to have another night to lie and think about getting beaten at England at home.

I don't think any of us would have dreamed to think this series would have gone as well as it has!

He has gone out with dignity too. OK he realised that retiring before he was pushed makes him look good, but a lot of other players in all sports could learn from that.

I think it’s a combination of 2 things:

Walking before he was pushed

A Mark of the man being pretty darn selfless & making a decision that benefits the side

If he had not made the decision himself, he would have left Strauss, Flower, the Management Team & The Selectors with a tough, difficult but ultimately obvious decision to drop him.

By retiring in the manner he has, he has left on his terms, on a high of pumulling the Aussies on their patch & retaining the Ashes.

He has said himself it paves the way for a younger player to come into the side, and in a mark of the man; he’s right. This decision will help the side as we can blood a Morgan (just as an example) in a side who are brimming with confidence & have a pretty much settled squad / team. That makes a huge difference.

I think he (Colly) can reflect with pride on his Test Career. 3 Ashes wins; 1 at their place, series wins Vs South Africa and a super Century Vs India at theirs. Some of his work in the field; at slip or gully, has been phenominal – and his dedication and application has never been in doubt. His love of representing his country is an example to follow for others. The Brigadier will be missed, but ultimately; this retirement is the best, most sensible & correct decision for him to have made. Cheers Colly!

Edited by slystallone

I don't think any of us would have dreamed to think this series would have gone as well as it has!

I did. I got every individual result bar one WRONG, but I'm still claiming the gift of clairvoyance...

If we don't beat this Australian side, with it's friendly bowling and fragile batting, I'll eat my own cricket bat.

Prediction:

Brisbane: England win

Adelaide: high-scoring draw

Perth: England win, Australian broken fingers

Melbourne: Australia win (dead rubber bounce)

Sydney: England win

I did. I got every individual result bar one WRONG, but I'm still claiming the gift of clairvoyance...

If we don't beat this Australian side, with it's friendly bowling and fragile batting, I'll eat my own cricket bat.

Prediction:

Brisbane: England win

Adelaide: high-scoring draw

Perth: England win, Australian broken fingers

Melbourne: Australia win (dead rubber bounce)

Sydney: England win

Is Mrs Tulse still sore?

If only I worked with some aussies at the moment. I could have had some great fun if today had been a few years back.

Cracking result, I said to my wife this morning that we should have burnt these stumps and created a new urn to signify the death of aussie cricket at the moment.

If only I worked with some aussies at the moment. I could have had some great fun if today had been a few years back.

Cracking result, I said to my wife this morning that we should have burnt these stumps and created a new urn to signify the death of aussie cricket at the moment.

Mine's off having his shoulder fixed. Selfish bastard :ranting:

In such a cramped schedule, injuries are bound to hit both camps. England are in serious strife if they lose any of their first XI. There's a vast gulf between their top-tier players and those on the standby list. Australia can only hope and pray that off-spinner Monty Panesar is called in for Graeme Swann. Australia have eight Test-standard speedsters in the queue.

Who are the 8 then?!?

That article is hilarious. Pretty much all of the 10 reasons were proved wrong.