The Ashes 2010-11

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently young POnting has had a Gatting like argument with the umpires. England 439 for 5. Two reasons for the Aussie press to call for change!

Only saw the first half hour, then the last half hour - missed all the fun but the Ponting story has exploded. Deadman walking imo - brought back memories of Gatting's implosion on the sub-continent in '88.

Pointing fined 40% of match fee.

He's got off lightly, when you bear in mind that he's received a similar punishment to a bowler who persistently runs on the pitch or for a remarkably slow over rate in one dayers etc...

Will the ICC invoke further repercussions once the match is over?

He's got off lightly, when you bear in mind that he's received a similar punishment to a bowler who persistently runs on the pitch or for a remarkably slow over rate in one dayers etc...

Will the ICC invoke further repercussions once the match is over?

I think (don't know) that's the end of it as far as the ICC is concerned. They've seen, charged and sentenced. Interestingly it's been determined as a low level offence. A higher punishment (100% fine and/or suspension) would have been applied if it had been treated as a level 2 offence: "dissent [which] contains an element of anger or abuse which is directed at the umpire or the umpire's decision or where there is excessive delay in resuming play [or] there is persistent re-reference to the incident over time". In other words he's got off lightly - one must assume he kept his language relatively clean and didn't make it personal with the umpires.

The pressure on those who run cricket in Australia is different though. They have a team of losers, lead by the first captain ever to (hopefully) lose three Ashes series. The pressure for change is immense and, assuming they lose this game, what better time to change captain?

The chap from the top of Australian cricket who was interviewed on Sky earlier amused me. I think he was called Arsene Wenger - he didn't see anything!

Edited by opinions4u

The pressure on those who run cricket in Australia is different though. They have a team of losers, lead by the first captain ever to (hopefully) lose three Ashes series. The pressure for change is immense and, assuming they lose this game, what better time to change captain?

Most of my Aussie mates wanted to get rid before the ashes.

Punter out!

Track looking flat already and a long day in the field ahead for the convicts - excellent.

500 up, declare - hope for a bit of a change in weather, Jimmy swing away and win by an innings and 100+ runs!!! If Carlsberg did Ashes tests, this would be it!

It looks like Carlsberg do Ashes' tests as well!! :wink:

(Apart from changing Bresnan for Anderson!)

2011 is the year everything goes right; and everything comes in threes

Ashes: tick

Latics Promotion: shading thickening by the day, it will be in thick black ink by April.

Lions AFL premiership: This is the year that everyone thought would be last year. Shoe in.

....can you turn the alarm off love?

Edited by L1onheart

What has shocked me though is just how bad of losers the Australians are! Virtually empty stadiums (except for England fans) as soon as they start to lose!! Can never remember that in England except for maybe day 5 and its a certain defeat within hours. From day 2 there was hardly anybody there! Same at various other points...

I would still turn up and want to see some cricket and have a beer if it was role reversal...

What has shocked me though is just how bad of losers the Australians are! Virtually empty stadiums (except for England fans) as soon as they start to lose!! Can never remember that in England except for maybe day 5 and its a certain defeat within hours. From day 2 there was hardly anybody there! Same at various other points...

I would still turn up and want to see some cricket and have a beer if it was role reversal...

Oh, the irony of you criticising people for not turning up........ :wink:

Criticising people for not turning up who have already paid for a ticket :P I wouldn't be stupid enough to buy a ticket for latics :wink:

Cannot resist saying this, someone has to

This could be one of the reasons why there may be no professional football club in our town (be it BP or Failsworth) in a few years time

Edited by another fan