The Ashes 2010-11

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

leads upto 200 runs

I think Ponting will want his batsmen to score quickly but he'll want to bat out of sight - I think he'll be looking for a lead of at least 400-450. His first plan will be not to lose, they want the win but they also don't want end game. Interesting to see what happens...

Hussey is the key for me tomorrow, Watson, Haddin, Johnson and Smith (presumably because he batted abpve both Haddin and Johnson) all have the capability to get big runs but you wouldn't bet on them being able to bat us out of this game. Hussey on the other hand has the ability to bat for the rest of the test match if they wanted.

Being 1 up and only needing a draw in the series puts England in a much better position for this test. Ponting knows he can't afford to loose, so I think he will alter his tactics accordingly. In days gone by the Aussies would have gotten 500 hundred in front (or less) and then declared giving his bowlers much more time to get the wickets they need. But because he knows he can't loose, his bowlers ain't what they used to be and our batsmen have already shown themselves capable of getting a big total. I think he will go a lot further given the opportunity, I don't see him declaring until lunch (or just before) on the 4th day.

However, he has to have that opportunity and I wouldn't bet on him getting it.

Hussey is the key for me tomorrow, Watson, Haddin, Johnson and Smith (presumably because he batted abpve both Haddin and Johnson) all have the capability to get big runs but you wouldn't bet on them being able to bat us out of this game. Hussey on the other hand has the ability to bat for the rest of the test match if they wanted.

Being 1 up and only needing a draw in the series puts England in a much better position for this test. Ponting knows he can't afford to loose, so I think he will alter his tactics accordingly. In days gone by the Aussies would have gotten 500 hundred in front (or less) and then declared giving his bowlers much more time to get the wickets they need. But because he knows he can't loose, his bowlers ain't what they used to be and our batsmen have already shown themselves capable of getting a big total. I think he will go a lot further given the opportunity, I don't see him declaring until lunch (or just before) on the 4th day.

However, he has to have that opportunity and I wouldn't bet on him getting it.

Quite right. I'd still consider the Aussies as slight favourites for this test. They're in the driving seat, no question and a chase of 350+ is very, very difficult to win at a ground like The Waca.

However, even if the Aussie's won this test, I'd still fancy us to win the series. The convicts have shown how much a fragile and low-on-confidence side they are. Mitchell Johnson varies between absolutely awesome to absolutely terrible, they have no quality spin player of note and only seriously bat to seven. I'd be very concerned about those weaknesses if I was an Aussie cricket fan.

We're going to need a record score to win this from here. If we can just get them out then survive the rest of the test getting a draw from here would be a good result.

There are two and a bit days left.

If we can bat that long we'll win the game!

a chase of 350+ is very, very difficult to win at a ground like The Waca.

391 the target.

Any other ground in the world and I'd write us off. The WACA - I think there's a chance, although slim.

Edited by opinions4u

There are two and a bit days left.

If we can bat that long we'll win the game!

This time difference malarky is really messing me, although to be fair it has been a manic week and I've not known what day it is at any point. I had to check my phone about 4 times when I woke up to see whether I had to get up and go to work. Plus when I were a lad tests started on a Thursday, now they can be any day.

This time difference malarky is really messing me, although to be fair it has been a manic week and I've not known what day it is at any point. I had to check my phone about 4 times when I woke up to see whether I had to get up and go to work. Plus when I were a lad tests started on a Thursday, now they can be any day.

It did start on Thursday ... 2.30am our time!

:grin:

I spent much of the night sleeping on the settee, with the Ashes on. It was meant to be sitting on the settee watching the Ashes, but man-flu meant I didn't have the stamina to see it through.

I saw the two dropped catches. The first wicket fall at 15. Then slept. Woke up to see Hussey go and the score at 58-4, quickly followed by rain.

The I woke again and it was 78-8 (three wickets had fallen on 77). Anderson and Tremlett took the last two as the Aussies fell for a meagre 98. All caught behind. Six catches for Prior. I beleive it's the lowest ever Ashes score by Australia in Melbourne.

I struggled up to bed, and thought I'd awake to see England with 4 or 5 down on a wicket that had the ball moving about nicely. Apparently the sun came out and Cook and Strauss picked the balls to play.

157 for 0.

What a shame!

Edited by opinions4u

I spent much of the night sleeping on the settee, with the Ashes on. It was meant to be sitting on the settee watching the Ashes, but man-flu meant I didn't have the stamina to see it through.

I saw the two dropped catches. The first wicket fall at 15. Then slept. Woke up to see Hussey go and the score at 58-4, quickly followed by rain.

The I woke again and it was 78-8 (three wickets had fallen on 77). Anderson and Tremlett took the last two as the Aussies fell for a meagre 98. All caught behind. Six catches for Prior. I beleive it's the lowest ever Ashes score by Australia in Melbourne.

I struggled up to bed, and thought I'd awake to see England with 4 or 5 down on a wicket that had the ball moving about nicely. Apparently the sun came out and Cook and Strauss picked the balls to play.

157 for 0.

What a shame!

WELL DONE

I only made it to the 58 - 4 bit

then alcohol got the better of me :ranting:

Can't believe the aussie supporters left early...they've been waiting 30 years to see England this dominant!

Got up at lunch, to see them 58-4 with the rain delaying the inevitable. Finally went back to bed at 7am, left the last half hour or so on the tv in our room. Fell back asleep at the close - 20 minutes later my daughter wakes me up prancing round to her new 'Michael Jackson Experience' Wii Dancing game - Billie Jean my arse....note to self: Next time be pro-active, it is hidden away until I surface. Absolutely bollocksed but so, so worth it! :grin:

Watched until the rain delay/lunch, then was up and checking it online until they were 8 down. To be 157-0, I'd have taken that without them batting, to be 157-0 leading by 59 is the sort of stuff cricket dreams are made of.

Melbourne is famous for 4 seasons in a day at times, and the weather forcast isn't great apparently for tomorrow but Monday (27th) onwards its supposed to be nice. If we can last through the bad stuff we should be alright.

The aussies were dominant for years but only Ponting, Clarke, and Katich remain from that era, and their youngsters, well Philip Hughes is not a test opener (at the mo), neither is Watson but he's not bad; Steve Smith is not a test number 6- he's barely a test number 8.