who do you think is the toughest player to ever play for Latics

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once saw Darren Sheridan trying to run off a broken leg!!

Doug Hodgson was the type of player who would run through a brick wall, trouble was he was so daft that if you called him back he would run through the wall again creating a different hole.

Complete empty head and total twit with an 'a', was unfortunate to spend some time in his company in an IOM nightclub. Stereotypical Aussie, thick as pig:censored: and a crap footballer to boot. I shudder when I think of some of Warnock's other 'signings'...

Sinnott

Starbuck

Ironside

Foran

Complete empty head and total twit with an 'a', was unfortunate to spend some time in his company in an IOM nightclub. Stereotypical Aussie, thick as pig:censored: and a crap footballer to boot. I shudder when I think of some of Warnock's other 'signings'...

Sinnott

Starbuck

Ironside

Foran

He was as thick as pig excrement but he had his qualities.

Can I be the first to give an honorable mention to Neil Trotman for stopping that Millwall fan getting to Lee Hughes. Most of the ones I would have suggested have already been mentioned.

He was as thick as pig excrement but he had his qualities.

Can I be the first to give an honorable mention to Neil Trotman for stopping that Millwall fan getting to Lee Hughes. Most of the ones I would have suggested have already been mentioned.

Anyone see Trotters concussed at Accrington in the LDV in '07? Staggering like a Paddy on St. Patrick's Day, yet still trying to go up for headers - absolutely crazy!

Sinnott

Starbuck

Ironside

Foran

Bit harsh Prozac, thought Dougie wasn't a bad player in that era...

there was a classic photo of his stare on google images but it's gone

Does anyone remember Archie Whyte came from Barnsley in the 50/60s he didnt take any prisoners, they used to play with the old casie ball including the lace.when I was a lad men were men and the women were glad of it so they say.Off the subject Bert Trautmen played in a cup final with a broken neck.

Does anyone remember Archie Whyte came from Barnsley in the 50/60s he didnt take any prisoners, they used to play with the old casie ball including the lace.when I was a lad men were men and the women were glad of it so they say.

Good shout! Carved out of granite and so superstitious that he refused the captaincy in the 1952/53 Div 3 (N) Championship winning team, because he liked to be the last on the pitch. :blink:

He even frightened the photographer!
5219324626_f61d9f579f_z.jpg

Picture courtesy of Garth Dykes' book Oldham Athletic Complete Record 1899-1988.

Andy Holden, Ron Futcher, Graeme Sharp, Darren Mcdoghnut, Andy Gorton, Mike Milligan, John Kelly - All 'tough' in their own right.

Some of Holdens sliding tackles on plastic were pretty scary/crazy!! Great to watch though.

The 'infamous' picture of Sharp (whilst playing for the toffee men) and Milligan in one of our cup ties, shows two 'tough' 'uns giving no quarter - A great pic.

Jobson, Linighan, Jones, Prenderville, could all put a tackle in as well, though not the enforcing type. Mini Shez didn't dominate enough for me to be classed with some of those.