World Cup 2018

I cant believe Holland and Belgium recieved more votes than us, oh well we will just have to hope that Brazil fail to meet their deadlines to host the next tournment , apparently they are not prepared at all and we could be used as the second option. Saying that Blatter would probably recieve a bung from Castro and take it to Cuba.

We needed the three votes that jack warner controls. Suppose we can say thanks to the BBC for wrecking that :)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All part of a Labour politician's inability not to meddle in absolutely every tiny fragment of our lives.

It certainly is old news. We know damn well the national game needs dismantling and reconstructing from the grass roots up. But for God's sake leave government out of it. (We also know damn well it won't happen, because the English FA is just as corrupt and incompetent as UEFA and FIFA).

To be fair to Ivan, who incidentally is my MP :grin: he is right. Football does need a proper investigation from top to bottom as it is in a bloody mess. Best league in the world; my arse. Players can't string 6 passes together without resorting to the hollywood ball, playing fields with no facilities, whilst some players take home £250,000 a week! We all know the arguments.

This quote if from his interview on radio 5 earlier, he said in light of the failed 2006 bid, this bid and the awful campaign in SA there should be an independent root and branch review of the game. There should and it has to be independent, the FA can't find their arse with both hands, the government can't do it so god knows who will but someone should.

Having said that, he is a City fan so what does he know.

We needed the three votes that jack warner controls. Suppose we can say thanks to the BBC for wrecking that :)

The shipping out of Capello's team to Trinidad and Tobago for a game, and Beckham's academy providing programmes and coaching sessions for 200 young players and coaches, all to please Jack Warner, the Concacaf president, who faces fresh accusations that he "used his position to try to help touts obtain tickets for the 2010 World Cup", has proved to be wasted effort.

In a statement from shadow Secretary of State for Sport Ivan Lewis, the Labour Party called for an independent root and branch inquiry into the failed bid.

I can't see the point in an inquiry into the England bid, there was nothing wrong with it. However, an inquiry into FIFA is definitely needed. Now that this vote is out of the way, the gloves should be off!

In a statement from shadow Secretary of State for Sport Ivan Lewis, the Labour Party called for an independent root and branch inquiry into the failed bid.

"Despite the impressive efforts of Team England, supporters will be bitterly disappointed at England's failure to land the 2018 World Cup," said Lewis. "This follows on from the England team's poor performance in South Africa.

"Serious questions have to be answered as to how we can learn lessons from these significant setbacks to build a better future.

"The Coalition and the football authorities should now set up an independent root and branch inquiry into all aspects of how our national game is run."

Back when I was in school Ivan Lewis came to it and chatted to a group of upper and lower 6th (including me).

He said he'd have built two "national stadiums" one in the North and one in London. Quite simply Labour were in charge for a lot more of the bid than the Coalition ever were.

Labour were in charge when they let the FA (who own Wembley) decide to build the new national stadium there (as opposed to somewhere people could get to).

I didn't hear for him calling for an enquiry then.

All this decision has done is show just how blatantly corrupt FIFA are.

I think us, the yanks, the aussies, and any allies we can get together should be putting pressure on the UN to investigate or at least have an independent inquiry.

I can see the merits of the Russian bid (new location and all that) but Qatar come on, a population of 1,696,563 (from a 2010 census) so less than the population of half of Greater Manchester gets a world cup, even accounting for population increase it will double the population of the entire country.

People are now struggling to hold their tongues and the rumours around the corridors of FIFA is the media did hurt the bid...

I doubt it was JUST that but its looking more like it played a big part... :(

Frankly, good. Whilst I'd have loved a WC to be held here (I still remember the euro 1996 atmosphere, IRA bomb aside), if evidence suggesting they are corrupt has meant we don't get the world cup QED.

I think we should leave FIFA and form a breakaway football body and hold a breakaway world cup every year, played in a group format in the week after the FA Cup Final.

I reckon Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would be up for that innovative concept!

Get USA and Australia in on the action as well.

It'd be like the 6 nations, but football not rugby.

The big clubs would never let it happen though. They get too much money from Champions League/Europa League and all the best players would want to move abroad. The power isn't with English football at the moment. Spain seems to be the place to play. All the best Premiership players would move there for the money.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Get USA and Australia in on the action as well.

It'd be like the 6 nations, but football not rugby.

The big clubs would never let it happen though. They get too much money from Champions League/Europa League and all the best players would want to move abroad.

I don't understand the politics of World Football but going off the events of today, Japan is the only nation who gives a rats arse about what England think...

I don't understand the politics of World Football but going off the events of today, Japan is the only nation who gives a rats arse about what England think...

They can play if they want, in fact why don't we see if we can create a football equivalent of the BDO.

They can play if they want, in fact why don't we see if we can create a football equivalent of the BDO.

I think there is some potential for major fall out from what has gone on today... Only a small chance... The Yanks are pissed off as much as us right now... and I don't think a lot of Europe is happy with the outcomes either...

I think there is some potential for major fall out from what has gone on today... Only a small chance... The Yanks are pissed off as much as us right now... and I don't think a lot of Europe is happy with the outcomes either...

The Yanks and us together can do a lot of stuff which has international consequences, just ask the Iraqis.

The issue withe the Russian bid winning is the competition, it essentially became a European designated world cup. Having looked up the timeline on both bids on wiki I'm very skeptical about the influence of the head of the AFC (the Asian version of UEFA) who is Qatari who decreed that the world cup in 2018 should have gone to Europe. Co-incidentally the Qatar bid was for only the 2022 WC and if an Asian nation had won in 2018, Qatar couldn't hold it in 2022. I don't think Japan had all that good a chance (it was going to use its new Olympic Stadium from 2016 for the final, but that Olympics went to Rio), but Austrailia might have changed the apple cart. (A lot of the Asians don't like the Russians but they will prefer them over the rest of Europe, but put the Aussies in the mix and some of the Asian votes would go to Austrailia from Russia). The Yanks then made a sensible decision to bid for just the 2022 WC.

I went to the world cup in South Africa and thought the site of empty staduims, FIFA would want to maximise as much money as they could in future, where else could they charge high prices England would be ideal.

I am dissapointed we lost the bid i can accept Russia is a footballing nation, with some history. But Qatar lets get real. A year ago Mohamed Bin Hammam the president of Qatar fell out with FIFA. Also he has threatened to stand against Sepp Blatter in the next FIFA election. I wonder if this upset the current commitee members who may have panicked.

2026 i suspect will go North America, Africa or Australia if they bid as Oceania, but am guessing 2030 will go to a South America nation as its the Centenary 100 years of the world cup. So am guessing it be 2034 at the next oppotunity to bid.

I think we should just go for the Euro 2020 championships.

Edited by oafctom

Can't put any blame on the bid team but hopefully this will be the catalyst for a serious look at the governance of football in England. Forget any corruption in FIFA, our national game is frought with problems (at grass roots level, top teams unable to string 6 passes together, a continually failing national team, rising hooliganism, poor quality of pies etc.) which have long been visible to all except the unaccountable FA exec who are too busy stuffing their pockets with the fruits of TV revenues.

FiFAleaks Corruptions coming, home, its coming home, its coming, corruptions coming home......SKY NEWS . . . . . . Vladimir Putin will now fly into Zurich after Russia won the 2018 world cup bid. . . . . . . . . . . to return Sepp Blatter's daughter safe and unharmed. sepp-blatter-wanted1.jpg

Edited by boboafc