Please rate Simon Corney's time at Oldham so far  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Please give a rating

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Simon Corney has admitted to mistakes, and his tenure at Oldham in both capacity cannot be regarded as succesful on a number of levels. Yet the dedication commitment, personal sacrifice and indebtedness should not go unnoticed.

Hence the poll, how has he done so far?

For statistical pruposes at the end of the poll, I will take out the AVerage scores and this will give a statistical reating of Satisfied or Disatisfied.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I clicked poor but I think average was more fair on reflection...

Facts are... He (they?) took over with us in the :censored: and we are still in the :censored:... Failed to deliver the new stadium, promotion etc...

He gave it a dam good go and I take my hat off to him... but average at best is my vote...

I clicked poor but I think average was more fair on reflection...

Facts are... He (they?) took over with us in the :censored: and we are still in the :censored:... Failed to deliver the new stadium, promotion etc...

He gave it a dam good go and I take my hat off to him... but average at best is my vote...

If we are doing individual assesment -

How do you rate OAFC00000's support?

I rate SC way,way above many so-called supporters. He has done the best he could, in doing something, rather than nothing, in difficult circumstances. I hope he stays with it and sees a reward for his efforts. I'm sure he'll be happier if he stays for that outcome than goes on a downer.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Well, i feel like i have been kicked in the bollocks by the council, i can't imagine how Simon must be feeling at the moment. :angry:

He's done an excellent job so far, i just hope he doesn't turn his back on us. :unsure:

If we are doing individual assesment -

How do you rate OAFC00000's support?

Probably average over his tenure... Every game season after season until the last two... Not as bad as some... Not as good as others....

You don't think average was fair ?

The other than keeping the lights on what has been achieved over their reign ?

Three failed stadium attempts

BP has steadily got worse

Crowds have fallen

No promotion

Still losing buckets of money

Some awful manager appointments

Good things

Wage bill reduced

Number of promotion attempts

Kept the lights on for the last 8 (?) years

Paul Dickov

I met SC many years ago in JJB when he first took over and I thought he was a straight up guy and still think he is. He has stuck with us while others have run. And I don't blame him going giving up now / I feel for him and the way the council have treated him.

But I don't see why he can't be questioned like the rest of us like some are suggesting above. Specially as he is saying he is about to walk away.

Edited by oafc0000

Probably average over his tenure... Every game season after season until the last two... Not as bad as some... Not as good as others....

You don't think average was fair ?

The other than keeping the lights on what has been achieved over their reign ?

Three failed stadium attempts

BP has steadily got worse

Crowds have fallen

No promotion

Still losing buckets of money

Some awful manager appointments

Good things

Wage bill reduced

Number of promotion attempts

Kept the lights on for the last 8 (?) years

Paul Dickov

I met SC many years ago in JJB when he first took over and I thought he was a straight up guy and still think he is. He has stuck with us while others have run. And I don't blame him going giving up now / I feel for him and the way the council have treated him.

But I don't see why he can't be questioned like the rest of us like some are suggesting above. Specially as he is saying he is about to walk away.

Saved me the trouble of writing most of that. Would like to add the following comment I've just made elsewhere...

"Changing plans and getting into bed with the council after previously having to shame them into giving planning permission for Boundary Park in the first place has divided the club in two. And to steal a phrase from other conflicts, (building or even keeping a fanbase) it's a battle to win hearts and minds. One the club has utterly neglected for years...they've thought that £2 games and kneejerk sackings of managers will see the drifters drift back. Couple it with other failings like being absolutely useless in a commercial aspect and we've made our own recipe for disaster in lots of ways."

All was not rosey in the garden before Failsworth came along. So pi$$ing about with an idea a lot of us knew would never get off the ground has been over 18mths of nothing...personally, on reflection, it's been a small breath of relief this news this week because now we can actually bring the club back together and look for a workable solution now...if there is one. Just a shame we've wasted all the time, effort and money on a disasterous plan and have less to play with now to save ourselves.

As it's a difficult task in our situation, I'll refrain from voting poor...but distinctly average would be my assessment. We've really, really not helped ourselves one bit. All this about "SC has admitted mistakes will be made"...how long do we say "oh, its ok..." Simple fact is, we can't afford to make mistakes and not to ones to the tune this has cost us. A few mistakes early in TTA tenure is fair enough but one on top of the other and on top of the other again over the years? They've had endless ideas given to them but they get ignored...the most simple one of all bugs me...still, today in 2011, we don't have anything whatsoever around BP promoting the clubs next game! The best ideas are sometimes the simple ones!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Saved me the trouble of writing most of that. Would like to add the following comment I've just made elsewhere...

"Changing plans and getting into bed with the council after previously having to shame them into giving planning permission for Boundary Park in the first place has divided the club in two. And to steal a phrase from other conflicts, (building or even keeping a fanbase) it's a battle to win hearts and minds. One the club has utterly neglected for years...they've thought that £2 games and kneejerk sackings of managers will see the drifters drift back. Couple it with other failings like being absolutely useless in a commercial aspect and we've made our own recipe for disaster in lots of ways."

All was not rosey in the garden before Failsworth came along. So pi$$ing about with an idea a lot of us knew would never get off the ground has been over 18mths of nothing...personally, on reflection, it's been a small breath of relief this news this week because now we can actually bring the club back together and look for a workable solution now...if there is one. Just a shame we've wasted all the time, effort and money on a disasterous plan and have less to play with now to save ourselves.

As it's a difficult task in our situation, I'll refrain from voting poor...but distinctly average would be my assessment. We've really, really not helped ourselves one bit. All this about "SC has admitted mistakes will be made"...how long do we say "oh, its ok..." Simple fact is, we can't afford to make mistakes and not to ones to the tune this has cost us. A few mistakes early in TTA tenure is fair enough but one on top of the other and on top of the other again over the years? They've had endless ideas given to them but they get ignored...the most simple one of all bugs me...still, today in 2011, we don't have anything whatsoever around BP promoting the clubs next game! The best ideas are sometimes the simple ones!

Where is that scoreboard.... ;-)

It's really quite sad (and I'll get shot down on here for this) but when I heard the news yesterday I was quite upset about the prospect of no longer being at BP. I hastily arranged train tickets from London and thought I'd go along today. When I woke up this morning, after a very hectic week, I just didn't have the energy. For whatever reason, all the wranglings of the last few seasons, knocking down the Lookers, the second half of Shez's last season, Big Fat Joe's failed return and Dave Penney, it's just difficult to muster the energy these days.

I would rate Simon Corney as average. Not all together to do with football - people are right, he's kept the lights on and kept the club going by hook or by crook and I'm proud to say he has stuck around this season to help us. That is what keeps him as average. However, the more damning indictment, I think, of his tenure is that his mates, the people with the money, walked away and left him here. He failed to deliver the return they were looking for. It was promotion and a new stadium. Crowds are 2,000 lower than they were and, whilst the product and togetherness this season is simply superb, it's just not as fun a place to be anymore. I will always love the club but the activities of the last 18 months make me feel led astray and disillusioned. Blitz has walked away with the assets and his "mate" has been left behind to make it ok...

Edited by latic12345

Where is that scoreboard.... ;-)

It's really quite sad (and I'll get shot down on here for this) but when I heard the news yesterday I was quite upset about the prospect of no longer being at BP. I hastily arranged train tickets from London and thought I'd go along today. When I woke up this morning, after a very hectic week, I just didn't have the energy. For whatever reason, all the wranglings of the last few seasons, knocking down the Lookers, the second half of Shez's last season, Big Fat Joe's failed return and Dave Penney, it's just difficult to muster the energy these days.

I would rate Simon Corney as average. Not all together to do with football - people are right, he's kept the lights on and kept the club going by hook or by crook and I'm proud to say he has stuck around this season to help us. That is what keeps him as average. However, the more damning indictment, I think, of his tenure is that his mates, the people with the money, walked away and left him here. He failed to deliver the return they were looking for. It was promotion and a new stadium. Crowds are 2,000 lower than they were and, whilst the product and togetherness this season is simply superb, it's just not as fun a place to be anymore. I will always love the club but the activities of the last 18 months make me feel led astray and disillusioned. Blitz has walked away with the assets and his "mate" has been left behind to make it ok...

*Applauds*

Bang on the money!

People should not always be judged on their results, as sometimes, the odds are just inevitably stacked too high against you, despite your intentions or leadership skills. However, I honestly can't vote on this, as I simply can't make my mind up.

I do however believe his intentions have always been honourable, whatever the outcome.

People should not always be judged on their results, as sometimes, the odds are just inevitably stacked too high against you, despite your intentions or leadership skills. However, I honestly can't vote on this, as I simply can't make my mind up.

I do however believe his intentions have always been honourable, whatever the outcome.

I agree with this. Many times in appointments, signings, redevelopment plans etc, Corney and Co have made what a lot of us thought were the best decisions at the time. They haven't all paid off, but even for those decisions that not everyone agreed with (signing/sacking Ronald for example) there is no saying that things would have gone better otherwise. I have to say that I applaud the owners (Blitz still included, obviously) for keeping on going in the face of the :censored: they havve faced. If we are left homeless, then I will consider us to have been let down, but at present they are in credit as far as I am concerned.

I'm still amazed that people really believe that it is the problem of "the last few seasons" (Moore, Moore, DP, JR, TTA, Clayton knocked down, Lookers knocked down) - utter bollocks.

We have been on a downward spiral since pockets were lined and nobody had the balls to take a gamble on this club when we were in the very best position we have ever been in and are ever likely to be in again - 1991-1994.

The long term future could well have been decided there and then with some foresight and investment, we may well be receiving some of this inflated 'bunce' that the likes of your Doncaster, Barnsley and Scunthorpe are now regularly receiving - we saw neither.

Despite the failure of a new ground, a promoted side, a redeveloped BP - To spend £14million pounds and seemingly get fook all in return and receive countless amounts of critics along the way, if SC does walk at the end of the season, biting the hand that has fed us for the last few years may truly be a mistake.

LOL,can i add to this ?

What the hell is all this 'i feel sorry for SC nonsence'?

FACT:BP and the land is worth a small fortune,yes the TTA might lose a few bob but it the final analysis it will be chicken feed to them once they have cashed in on their land.

PS Knocking down the lookers was a really bright move,wasn't it?

PPS There is absolutely no reason to believe SC will not walk very soon which begs the question,who is going to buy a 3rd tier footballclub with huge debt and no stadium?

Not rocket scienc is it?

It really is promotion or bust for Oldham Athletic as we know it,and even with promotion it could still be bust,although obviously promotion improves the chances of some kind of investment/quango.

LOL,can i add to this ?

What the hell is all this 'i feel sorry for SC nonsence'?

FACT:BP and the land is worth a small fortune,yes the TTA might lose a few bob but it the final analysis it will be chicken feed to them once they have cashed in on their land.

PS Knocking down the lookers was a really bright move,wasn't it?

PPS There is absolutely no reason to believe SC will not walk very soon which begs the question,who is going to buy a 3rd tier footballclub with huge debt and no stadium?

Not rocket scienc is it?

It really is promotion or bust for Oldham Athletic as we know it,and even with promotion it could still be bust,although obviously promotion improves the chances of some kind of investment/quango.

I would if I was him and read some of the :censored:e posted on here like your post.

I would if I was him and read some of the :censored:e posted on here like your post.

Well said

I cannot believe some people's hang ups about anyone with a bit of money. For anyone to think that TTA and now T1A will walk away with barrowfuls of cash is beyond comprehension. It is the literal loss of money that may indeed cause hm to walk.