OWTB Update

Ackey

FAO: All OWTB Users.

Re: Site Downtime

All,

As I have said a few times recently we don't have the resources to update OWTB - which is becoming more and more of an issue as the site becomes outdated and develops issues which are more intrusive than before.

As a result of this we're warning users that at some point in the next six months OWTB will be offline. In an ideal world this outage will take place over night (UK time) and thus most people will not notice. However as is the nature of all things technical this can't be guaranteed 100% and so users should be aware that downtime during the day may be a possibility.

We're aware of the site's usage statistics - such as being busy on Saturday evenings - and will do all we can to avoid doing the updates just before one of these peak times - to minimise any disruption should things need to be rolled back to the previous version or the site doesn't come up as expected.

We're having to call on outside help to get this done and so we can't be more specific on the timing until nearer the date. I will however post something up as far before the change a I can to ensure most people are aware. We will also use Twitter and Facebook to make announcements of the update's progress.

Finally - what you need to do as users.

These changes are significant and will lead to the site having a similar but different feel to it. Depending on the success of the upgrade we will also see some new features added. All of this remains quite vague for the moment I know - but it would be worth you taking the time to look here at an existing site using the updated version and get a feel for it as best you can.

You will also need to give us your patience. It's not been easy to even get this far, we don't have the time or skill in the team to do these things ourselves and so unfortunately we can't offer anything more concrete than this.

Feel free to post your questions or comments below and I will do my best to address them.

Cheers,

Ack

Ooh! It's a mobile version. Good do!

Is this likely to fix the virus alerts? It has become impossible for me to use at work recently, as IT keep getting a Trojan flagged up and having to full system scan me when owtb is open.

The mobile version, weird errors in Firefox and the virus warning are the three main motivators behind doing the update. There's no guarantee it'll fix any, some or all. Hopefully the answer is all.

It was something we did all the time in the past, users wouldn't even know we'd done it. But without Rummy's skill set we don't have that ability and so small niggling issues are building up. We can't deny that's a problem, we simply don't have access to a solution with the resources we have (that's none)!

The mobile version, weird errors in Firefox and the virus warning are the three main motivators behind doing the update. There's no guarantee it'll fix any, some or all. Hopefully the answer is all.

It was something we did all the time in the past, users wouldn't even know we'd done it. But without Rummy's skill set we don't have that ability and so small niggling issues are building up. We can't deny that's a problem, we simply don't have access to a solution with the resources we have (that's none)!

Good work for sorting summat then. Fingers crossed it works!

Here's an in use football one http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/

I like "Oldham Fans Were right"

http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?/topi...53-oldham-fans/

Penney is one of the most negative managers he blatantly went to Rochdale for a point someone needs to tell him we need wins!

Although nobody agrees with the post!

Thanks for the link (I'd like to think we'd have a better colour scheme! :lol: )

Also put into context their supporter levels... they have 16,000 members and most online was 3,000+ !!

Wonder how they have such numbers, don't they average 5k?

All,

The good news is that thanks to a very, very generous offer we're going to be updating OWTB on Wednesday 16/02/2011.

The update will take place over night on the 16th/17th and is over 24 hours after the last game and several days before the next. It's the best window we have to do the update. We may not be able to host a message warning you of the update and so you will simply not be able to connect to OWTB during that time.

As is the nature of all IT updates, this is not without risk. We've done all we can to manage those risks and we will do all we can to have the site functioning normally when you log in on Thursday morning. There will be superficial and user-interface changes to the site when you come to use it on Thursday. These will be new to me also but I will do all I can to answer questions you have as I too get used to the new site.

As before, any further questions or comments please post them below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Ack