Evolution - 27.04.2011

I'm delighted the club have been bold enough to make a big change, and as a graphic designer I can appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this.

I will wait to see how the new 'brand' is applied across other items before I make up my mind. My first impression is I like it but I worry about the size of the type.

For the font geeks out there, I think the font used is Memphis (very similar).

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we always have to see the negative in EVERYTHING the club does?

The badge is modern and having seen the explanation on how the badge was created it makes sense. This isn't anything major. This isn't a revolution. It's an evolution, something new, something different.

is a new badge really a big change??

waste of time and money

Yes, if everything else follows the same forward thinking. A logo/ identity should not be created in isolation. With it should come a whole new tone of voice on the website, new style of imagery, attitude to match etc. If all we get is a new badge and nothing else to back it up then Latics will miss a big opportunity. I think and hope Eden will be trying to implement many of the above as much as they can.

does anyone "appreciate" marketing and/or graphic design other than marketing & graphic design bods?

load of old bollocks

Look around you, you are surrounded by it, manipulated and stimulated by it every day of your life. You appreciate it without knowing it. I'm not justifying my job, but bollocks it isn't.

Do we always have to see the negative in EVERYTHING the club does?

The badge is modern and having seen the explanation on how the badge was created it makes sense. This isn't anything major. This isn't a revolution. It's an evolution, something new, something different.

there's a long list of things that are wrong & need changing at the club - the badge isn't/wasn't one of them

Yes, if everything else follows the same forward thinking. A logo/ identity should not be created in isolation. With it should come a whole new tone of voice on the website, new style of imagery, attitude to match etc. If all we get is a new badge and nothing else to back it up then Latics will miss a big opportunity. I think and hope Eden will be trying to implement many of the above as much as they can.

Couldn't we have just put the money spent on this towards signing a decent centre-forward over the summer instead?

there's a long list of things that are wrong & need changing at the club - the badge isn't/wasn't one of them

There are. A new image for the club can't do any harm though. The club need to change how they run themselves and hopefully the new badge can be a catalyst for that.

Look around you, you are surrounded by it, manipulated and stimulated by it every day of your life. You appreciate it without knowing it. I'm not justifying my job, but bollocks it isn't.

No offence, but I've worked in the accounts department in a graphic design company and the only people that really think like this are the graphic designers themselves, and it's this sort of stuff they come up with when trying to justify to potenial clients why they should spend loads of money on it. It might work for McDonald's, Microsoft and Sky, but it won't make a jot of difference to John the Bakers and, I'm afraid, Oldham Athletic.

Edited by JoeP

Couldn't we have just put the money spent on this towards signing a decent centre-forward over the summer instead?

You think this cost the price of a good centre-forward? Corney & Co aren't going to waste hundreds of thousands on a new badge.

I quite like it. I thought the owl looked a bit scruffy and psychopathic, but then I looked at the old badge and realised he already looked like a half-baked Rorschach test.

Not fussed about a black away kit, but that badge on a blue home kit should be nice.