I think Dickov has the majority of our fans support but next season he's on a hiding to nowt.

We've gone through nearly half a season with no sign of improvement, 10 points from a possible 51 is rock bottom relegation material. If there were 50 games in a season I reckon we'd have been relegated.

All the positives as a result of Dickov's appointment have completely evaporated in what is probably the worst run in living memory. I really want Dickov to succeed and will be right behind him next season, however, if we start next season the way we have ended this how long before the knives are out.

As we all know, sacking managers every other year doesn't work but Corney and Co will have a major dilemma on their hands if the slump continues into the start of next season!!

I think Dickov has the majority of our fans support but next season he's on a hiding to nowt.

We've gone through nearly half a season with no sign of improvement, 10 points from a possible 51 is rock bottom relegation material. If there were 50 games in a season I reckon we'd have been relegated.

All the positives as a result of Dickov's appointment have completely evaporated in what is probably the worst run in living memory. I really want Dickov to succeed and will be right behind him next season, however, if we start next season the way we have ended this how long before the knives are out.

As we all know, sacking managers every other year doesn't work but Corney and Co will have a major dilemma on their hands if the slump continues into the start of next season!!

Not in my eyes it hasn't.

He has done a great job - the fact we were up in the top 8 and looking great until february and all 'expecting' a top 8 finish due to that form is testament to the job he has done - if we had been near the bottom all season and then ensured safety yesterday and finish the season 16th, no one would bat an eye-lid, it would be '1st season, crap squad from last year, he has done OK in the circumstances' etc etc, but because of the such great start and the massive dip in form, it is suppoosidly viewed as a failure to not have ended the seasn in the top 6??? - BOLLOX.

He has shown more proactvity, drive, enthusiasm and effort than Moore, Shez and Penney put together.

Granted Feb-May form has been dire, but you can put that down to a combination of many factors.

The summer will be a test for him yes, but if we start next season badly and would end up finishing 14th for example, given the budget and current state of the club it again would be sad to get the knvies out AGAIN for ANOTHER manager.

Dickov needs 4-5 years in the job WHATEVER the final season standings - it's time us fans 'plodded along' and accept that the state the club is in at the moment doesn't consistute promotion aspirations - BY ALL MEANS go for them and make that your goal, but to 'EXPECT' it every other season, however 'ambitious', is realistically one hope to far in a resources sense and if it doesn't happen any time soon, we dust ourselves down and build again and again - EVENTUALLY it will happen, we just need to bite our collective lip and let Dickov manage, learn and improve bit by bit (the style if football employed by Penney and Moore did not constitute this time, it was simply awful to watch).

KTF

Edited by shefflatic

He has done a great job - the fact we were up in the top 8 and looking great until february and all 'expecting' a top 8 finish due to that form is testament to the job he has done - if we had been near the bottom all season and then ensured safety yesterday and finish the season 16th, no one would bat an eye-lid, it would be '1st season, crap squad from last year, he has done OK in the circumstances' etc etc, but because of the such great start and the massive dip in form, it is suppoosidly viewed as a failure to not have ended the seasn in the top 6??? - BOLLOX.

He has shown more proactvity, drive, enthusiasm and effort than Moore, Shez and Penney put together.

Granted Feb-May form has been dire, but you can put that down to a combination of many factors.

The summer will be a test for him yes, but if we start next season badly and would end up finishing 14th for example, given the budget and current state of the club it again would be sad to get the knvies out AGAIN for ANOTHER manager.

Dickov needs 4-5 years in the job WHATEVER the final season standings - it's time us fans 'plodded along' and accept that the state the club is in at the moment doesn't consistute promotion aspirations - BY ALL MEANS go for them and make that your goal, but to 'EXPECT' it every other season, however 'ambitious', is realistically one hope to far in a resources sense and if it doesn't happen any time soon, we dust ourselves down and build again and again - EVENTUALLY it will happen, we just need to bite our collective lip and let Dickov manage, learn and improve bit by bit (the style if football employed by Penney and Moore did not constitute this time, it was simply awful to watch).

KTF

Perfectly put. Our fans expect a mourinho to come in and take us straight up. latics fans have expectations far to big for the club then they moan when we dont fulfil there expectations.

KTF

I like Dickov and for the most the first 6 months of the season he was like a breath of fresh air but the figures dont lie. This run has been truly appaling and like has been mentioned in the end we have been lucky to have stayed up, and who would have thought that after the Hartlepool home game? Whatever the reasons for it, managers in the past have been sacked for far less than what Dickov has, and imo he is very lucky to still be in the job. Had this of been a few seasons earlier ie in place of Shez, Moore, Penney etc, he would either have been sacked by now or certainly would not have had his contract renewed (he still might not).

Yes at times the football has been great but its pretty much 50/50 to complete garbage. I think Dickov should stay and see what he can do in the summer and at least till Christmas of next season. If we start off next season how we finished this one, SC (if he is still here) will have to seriously consider Dickov's position. I really do hope that he gets it right as I think he has the makings of a good manager, but the one thing I wish he would change is to bring in an experienced head alongside him. Neither he nor Taggart have that experience and I think during this run it shows!

I like Dickov and for the most the first 6 months of the season he was like a breath of fresh air but the figures dont lie. This run has been truly appaling and like has been mentioned in the end we have been lucky to have stayed up, and who would have thought that after the Hartlepool home game? Whatever the reasons for it, managers in the past have been sacked for far less than what Dickov has, and imo he is very lucky to still be in the job. Had this of been a few seasons earlier ie in place of Shez, Moore, Penney etc, he would either have been sacked by now or certainly would not have had his contract renewed (he still might not).

Yes at times the football has been great but its pretty much 50/50 to complete garbage. I think Dickov should stay and see what he can do in the summer and at least till Christmas of next season. If we start off next season how we finished this one, SC (if he is still here) will have to seriously consider Dickov's position. I really do hope that he gets it right as I think he has the makings of a good manager, but the one thing I wish he would change is to bring in an experienced head alongside him. Neither he nor Taggart have that experience and I think during this run it shows!

That's entirely my point - WHY would this be necessary? Could we not just accept it and ride out the storm? Didn't Fergie and Royle both do next to nowt for 4-5 seasons and then get it right..?

Give him the the 4-5 years we need to finally give a manager who is showing the raw characteristics of a potentially good future manager and let him have the lows to get to the highs.

Edited by shefflatic

That's entirely my point - WHY would this be necessary? Could we not just accept it and ride out the storm? Didn't Fergie and Royle both do next to nowt for 4-5 seasons and then get it right..?

Give him the the 4-5 years we need to finally give a manager who is showing the raw characteristics of a potentially good future manager and let him have the lows to get to the highs.

Its not as simple as riding out the storm and giving him time. Look at Ronniesaurus for instance. The football was dire but its possible that he may well have got us up in the end, but the financial implications of giving him more time would have been disasterous when you consider season ticket sales, match day income etc. If we start off next season serving up the same drivel we have during this run then attendances will drop further. I would hasten to add that season tickets will be down on last season as well. Fans have short memories, and many will overlook the great football we played in the early part of the season, and just remember what has happened recently.

Its not just our club that is unique in this either. Whether you or I believe Dickov should have 1 year, 5 years, 10 years makes not a patch of difference. Fans and money through the turnstile will dictate that.

KTF

Jeez, so you're saying if we get relegated next season, we should stick with Dickov in League 2.

Then lets say we get relegated again, so we lose our Football League status.

We would be in the Conference but Dickov would still only have been here 3 years.

So you would still stick with him for this 4-5 year minimum term.

I like Dickov and do think we should give him time, but I don't think you can realistically make a statement like that, clearly how long he stays here will depend as it always does on performances and results.

I don't think you can stick blindly with a manager regardless of results on the basis that all he needs is time.

The honeymoon period is definitely over, but sacking Dickov now would be insane and set the club back another year as someone else would have to come in and rebuild the squad again. In my opinion, the positives Dickov has brought to the club far out-way the negatives – over the summer, he just needs to work out how to get the early part of this season form back.

If on the 1st January 2012 Oldham only on have 10 points on the board what happens then? I was wondering this yesterday and came to the conclusion he would have to go. I don't think anyone want to see that, what the club needs now (both on and off the pitch) is stability until some sort of long term future is sorted out. But if we start the season how we finished this, how can he stay?

If on the 1st January 2012 Oldham only on have 10 points on the board what happens then? I was wondering this yesterday and came to the conclusion he would have to go. I don't think anyone want to see that, what the club needs now (both on and off the pitch) is stability until some sort of long term future is sorted out. But if we start the season how we finished this, how can he stay?

if if if

We live in an age where the demand/expectation for instant success is a must and nowhere is that more demonstrated than the world of professional sport. The Board's decisions regarding managerial sackings and appointments have been well documented and debated and no doubt will extend into the next season if results don't yield the desired result.

The season under Paul Dickov's management has been the proverbial game of two halves - pre Christmas we exceeded everyone's wildest dreams; post Christmas saw the realisation of our worst nightmares and clearly, had this not been PD's first season or relegation had resulted, then I think there could well have been another management team in for next season.

HOWEVER..... for me, there has to be a realism amongst supporters to acknowledge that we cannot compete financially with the teams likely to be competing for promotion and that will continue whilst we remain under the existing ownership regime and given that scenario, I for one will be more than content to enjoy a repeat of this season's offerings. I really hope PD is allowed the chance to build on the positives of this season and keep the ship afloat until we find a new harbour to sail into.

This may sound controvertial but will say it anyway.

Will state firstly that I agree hiring and firing managers is not the way to go forward, especially conisdering this approach hasnt really done us any good the past 10 years or so. However, consider the following

Form: We have won 1 match in 17, and gained 10 points from a possible 51. Thats relegation form and if any manager was fired as a result of this run I think they would find it very hard to argue against it.

Contract: Given that Dickov is only on a one year rolling contract, had we wanted to get rid, paying him off probably would not have been the obstacle it once was with Penney/ Talbot etc.

Considering both of those I think Dickov ought to count himself extremely lucky that he is still in a job here. When we were on form a few of the more realistic posters correctly predicted the team would go through a bad patch, and Dickov would then be judged on how he got us out of that. 17 games later....we have limped to safety by the skin of our teeth on the 44th game of the season (same point as last season).

If we go through a similar run next season I don't think the fans or the board will be as forgiving.

When the club appointed Dave Penney, my immediate reaction was one of regret. I personally felt he was the wrong man for the job, however I was happy to be proven wrong as the season developed. Sadly my initial impression was never changed and the style/standard of football, plus the interviews I heard from Penney directly & read on the OS did nothing to change my opinion. 1 stand out comment from Penney was prior to Xmas 09 when we were due to play Exeter in a 6-point game (where we had previously won 2, drawn 4 and lost 4 at home that season). Penney's comments were that the game was "Not a must-win fixture". For me that was the final straw with the prat as it signalled that he wasn't to concerned if we failed to beat a side around us near the bottom of the league.

The reason I mention this, is due to my gut-feeling when Dickov was appointed. I immediately felt it was a good move and I've seen nothing to change this opinion. This includes Dickov's reactions in the Media. His body language during games shows he is wanting to be involved in every kick of the ball. Generally speaking we have played some decent football during the season and bar the games v Peterborough (H&A); Bournemouth (A); Hartlepool (A) and Southampton (H) we've hardly been hammered by anyone, especially during the recent poor run of form/results which saw our play off bid become a relegation battle.

Dickov's in his first season and has openly admitted he has made mistakes, however he has also openly admitted that both he & the players will learn from these mistakes, which will only make them better players/managers for the next time. And EVERY club the World over goes through bad spells.

In general, our approach play has been OK its our finishing in the final 3rd that has let us down so badly. The irony being that it happened after one of our finest home performances for a long time after we ripped Hartlepool apart in the 4-0 demolition at the start of February.

If the Press are to be believed, Richards is being sought after once again and maybe Arsenal maybe tempted to bid big for him as they have often been linked with him in the past. If this comes off, we would get a sizeable sell-on bonus. Add that to the Stephens money, and the club can pay off some debts AND support Dickov in the transfer/loan market. Personally, I feel sacking Dickov is a complete non-starter as and he needs our total support once again next season.

One of the most ironic scenarios this season is the fact that Shez has managed to win promotion with Chesterfield with a large percentage of ex-Latics players/staff. Sadly I feel Shez's problems started the moment we signed the atom bomb that was Windass and I often wonder what might have been had that never happened!

I’m just not a fan of wholesale changes every season – players & managers. I understand that a certain level of turn-a-round has to happen with players out of contract etc; but it’s cyclic and the problems it causes massively contribute to the cycle continuing. A scenario for you:

PD is (rightly) allowed to continue as manager; and so oversee the recruitment of players this close season. A large number of players leave; and a number of players arrive – players that PD has chosen; due to him rating them & thinking he can work with them. It can then be considered ‘PD’s team’. PD is then sacked at some stage and a new manager is brought in. He <unnamed manager> will then have to work with what is at the club; PD’s players. It then takes time for the new man to move on PD old players who he doesn’t rate / like & to bring in his own signings. In the interim period of transfer windows; more of PD’s ex-players are moved on by paying up contracts etc and more of the new mans players are brought in. Results from the new man & new players don’t go well & he too is sacked. It then starts all over again, with the same outcomes resulting everytime

When PD arrived with us; he inherited a squad that bore the remnants of Shez’s regime and also the absolute dross that Penney brought in. He was massively restricted in what he could do during the summer window – and he had to move on Penney’s lot in the Jan window by paying up before he could bring any in........

This summer is more of a blank canvas for him & his team. We’ll really see what his contact list(s) / scouting network & powers of persuasion are like. He’s only really left with players who are his 1st team mainstays anyways; Feeney & Jones withstanding – so he has a chance to fill around them with his players. He didn’t have that chance last summer; so to achieve what he has done this season; in what is 1st attempt at management at any level whatsoever is a commendable effort IMO.

Edited by slystallone

When PD arrived with us; he inherited a squad that bore the remnants of Shez’s regime and also the absolute dross that Penney brought in. He was massively restricted in what he could do during the summer window – and he had to move on Penney’s lot in the Jan window by paying up before he could bring any in........

This summer is more of a blank canvas for him & his team. We’ll really see what his contact list(s) / scouting network & powers of persuasion are like. He’s only really left with players who are his 1st team mainstays anyways; Feeney & Jones withstanding – so he has a chance to fill around them with his players. He didn’t have that chance last summer; so to achieve what he has done this season; in what is 1st attempt at management at any level whatsoever is a commendable effort IMO.

this is perfect !

Its his first season give him a chance. I think reason so many fans are dissapointed is because when we high in the table they over expected, when reality was we had not played many of the top teams. Yes i am pretty annoyed with are recent form. But Dickov needs time and i am pretty sure he will use the summer as a chance to rebuild.

My main worry is if the club decided to get rid of a few of are better players Dickov may get fed up and go.

Edited by oafctom

But let's not forget that the choice of 'his players' will have been severely restricted by the budget set by the Board.

As the saying goes 'Pay peanuts - get monkeys'.

I can only repeat my previous comment - the best we should expect is survival in Division 1 and if that happens, all credit to him.

Royle had a run of 10 straight defeats but never had a run of one win in 17, nor did he ever go on a run of 7 goals in 17 matches (failing to score in 12 of those).

No-one's saying sack Dickov, but if we do start next season in a similar vein PD will be under pressure and rightly so, I like the guy, he was like a breath of fresh air for four or five months, then reality kicked in. Whatever budget he is dealt he has to use it wisely, we have some cracking young players, but we are likely to lose the bulk of the out of contract players and Furman, Lee and most likely Taylor - we need imo an experienced spine - leaders. So that means an experienced centre-back that can lead NOT HAZELL FFS!!!! A midfield general, and a bruiser up front that can hold the ball up and score 12-13 goals, to compliment someone like Reid. We've been in this situation before with the kids, but thank God Stitch was savvy enough to keep hold of Dux, Kelly and Garnett and bring in people like Shez, Eyres and Corazzin. Dickov needs to pull similar rabbits from the hat. If he doesn't no matter what effort he puts in his youngsters will continue to be chewed up and spat out, no matter what their abilities.Young 'uns need to learn from the old stagers and need to be nudged along. Whether Greegs was past it or not, (and with the right amount of encouragement he would not have been) he could have had an amazing effect as club captain this year...

Royle had a run of 10 straight defeats but never had a run of one win in 17, nor did he ever go on a run of 7 goals in 17 matches (failing to score in 12 of those).

No-one's saying sack Dickov, but if we do start next season in a similar vein PD will be under pressure and rightly so, I like the guy, he was like a breath of fresh air for four or five months, then reality kicked in. Whatever budget he is dealt he has to use it wisely, we have some cracking young players, but we are likely to lose the bulk of the out of contract players and Furman, Lee and most likely Taylor - we need imo an experienced spine - leaders. So that means an experienced centre-back that can lead NOT HAZELL FFS!!!! A midfield general, and a bruiser up front that can hold the ball up and score 12-13 goals, to compliment someone like Reid. We've been in this situation before with the kids, but thank God Stitch was savvy enough to keep hold of Dux, Kelly and Garnett and bring in people like Shez, Eyres and Corazzin. Dickov needs to pull similar rabbits from the hat. If he doesn't no matter what effort he puts in his youngsters will continue to be chewed up and spat out, no matter what their abilities.Young 'uns need to learn from the old stagers and need to be nudged along. Whether Greegs was past it or not, (and with the right amount of encouragement he would not have been) he could have had an amazing effect as club captain this year...

Oh and Sheff

Fergie finished 2nd in his first full-season, his second season his team of kids destroyed Liverpool at Old Trafford in one of the finest footballing displays I have ever seen. The only time Fergie came under pressure was in his third full season when United struggled in the League, that was countered by them winning the FA Cup.

As for Uncle Joe, he finished 7th with Frizz's team, but then had a torrid time in 83/84 and 84/85, but he kept us up mainly due to signing Old Stagers and nicking a decent striker or two, oh and the odd rabbit out of hat like Ward. 85/86 we looked certs for promotion before the afore mentioned 10 straight defeats. 86/87 we narrowly lost out in the Play Offs. Tbh we only became the all singing all dancing team from December '87 onwards, but we were dire under Royle away from home, we really were a bag of :censored:e, such an easy touch. Royle's best away record in 12 years as manager was 9 wins in 86/87. We were awesome at home, but when that went tits up we were doomed and relegated from the Prem, we've been average at home since

Big pre-season for PD in the way he shapes his squad. He's brought in some good players this season e.g. M'voto and Tonk and some bad ones in like Feeney, just concerned in that PD and GT say they spend a lot of time making sure the signings are right for the club and they will be big players for the club and they turn out to be :censored:e or they don't get a fair run in the preferred position.

So that means an experienced centre-back that can lead, a midfield general, and a bruiser up front that can hold the ball up and score 12-13 goals, to compliment someone like Reid. We've been in this situation before with the kids, but thank God Stitch was savvy enough to keep hold of Dux, Kelly and Garnett and bring in people like Shez, Eyres and Corazzin.

Don't agree with everything you say Prozac but you've hit the nail on the head with this.

Oh and Sheff

Fergie finished 2nd in his first full-season, his second season his team of kids destroyed Liverpool at Old Trafford in one of the finest footballing displays I have ever seen. The only time Fergie came under pressure was in his third full season when United struggled in the League, that was countered by them winning the FA Cup.

As for Uncle Joe, he finished 7th with Frizz's team, but then had a torrid time in 83/84 and 84/85, but he kept us up mainly due to signing Old Stagers and nicking a decent striker or two, oh and the odd rabbit out of hat like Ward. 85/86 we looked certs for promotion before the afore mentioned 10 straight defeats. 86/87 we narrowly lost out in the Play Offs. Tbh we only became the all singing all dancing team from December '87 onwards, but we were dire under Royle away from home, we really were a bag of :censored:e, such an easy touch. Royle's best away record in 12 years as manager was 9 wins in 86/87. We were awesome at home, but when that went tits up we were doomed and relegated from the Prem, we've been average at home since

There was a nine-match winless run throughout October and November (with one defeat and eight draws) before a run of generally good results took them to third place by mid-February. However, another run of disappointing results in the final quarter of the season saw them fall down to mid-table.

Not talking about Latics there, but that was Taggart's third season at OT.

In September 1989, ManUre lost to Citeh 5–1. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie" was displayed at OT, and many journalists and supporters called for Taggart to be sacked. Taggart later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as ManUre ended the decade just outside the relegation zone.

It all goes to show that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Whether Greegs was past it or not, (and with the right amount of encouragement he would not have been) he could have had an amazing effect as club captain this year...

Was he really that good a captain? Led by example but I remember several instances of him bawling out team mates for mistakes which may or may not have been their fault. Is that what was needed? Honest question by the way - I don't see enough games these days to have a valid opinion on matters on the pitch.