Expectations / Ambitions

What do people honestly expect from next season? I'm going to revisit this thread a few times during the season (at the start after signings, xmas, easter and this time next year) to see if my expectations a, came true and b, If I'm still happy or disapointed.

Personally I'd be happy if this time next year we are looking forward to another year at this level. I cant see with the budget we'll have, the size of crowds we'll get, how anything other than a relegation scrap is on the cards.

Last year Dickov missed a trick in the FA cup. We should have played a full side against Accy. Hopefully we can make round 3 or at least take it more seriously. It could be a vital revenue stream.

Edited by pukka

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of the same I think..... until we get a new stadium generating some cash to invest in the team I can't see much changing. Hopefully we will remain good enough to avoid a drop into League 2.

happy to finish higher than this season,as it will show progress....ideally playoffs

i would also like us to sing songs about oldham..and not anti city and united songs....i dont see the point,also no celtic or rangers songs..again pointless were latics...

also if were going to sing the bastard song,can we please aim at the yorkshire folk..kinda loses its validity when you sing it to the likes of carlisle n hartlepool fans....or if you want to sing it against every other team,then please change the ending to fit...

A finish of 20th or higher and a better performance in the cups.

Dickov should stay as manager unless we're fighting a losing battle against relegation.

So many 'big' clubs in the league next season, can't expect to be up there but it is possible.

Expectations

- To finish above the bottom four. Yes our budget is tight, but I imagine the likes of Exeter, Tranmere, Dale, Leyton Orient, Exeter City, Yeovil Town, Walsall, Wycombe, Bury and whoever wins the playoffs will all have similar budgets to our own. I also expect that a cup run will be made a priority.

Ambitions

- To finish as high as we possibly can. Whilst I do not expect promotion, and will most definitely not deem the season a failure if we don't get it, nothing wrong with giving it a good go.

Will point out the key difference between expecting for promotion and aiming for promotion though.

Nothing wrong at all with aiming for promotion, or aiming to finish as high as we can, but fans who expect promotion (as in the season is deemed a total failure if we don't get it) are nothing short of deluded f**kwits. Given our average attendance, recent league positions, current financial position, we have absolutely no right whatsoever to expect promotion.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

My only ambition for next season is to get to the last 4/5 grounds (depending on who come up) that I am yet to visit. On the pitch, I hold no expectations we could get promotion or relegated or somewhere in between, it all depends on how the new players gel together and how many injuries we get. I am not hopeful of a promotion push though.

Personaly amitions for the season: We have had a few random weekend trips. Cheltenham and Scunthorpe being two. Next year we have decided a weekend and night out in chesterfield is as random as it'll get.

Personaly amitions for the season: We have had a few random weekend trips. Cheltenham and Scunthorpe being two. Next year we have decided a weekend and night out in chesterfield is as random as it'll get.

we done a night in chesterfield a few years ago for the last game of the season, i can confirm it is a very random place. The hotel room we stayed in had a tree that came in through the wall and went out through the roof.

Edited by stevesmitt

What do people honestly expect from next season? I'm going to revisit this thread a few times during the season (at the start after signings, xmas, easter and this time next year) to see if my expectations a, came true and b, If I'm still happy or disapointed.

Personally I'd be happy if this time next year we are looking forward to another year at this level. I cant see with the budget we'll have, the size of crowds we'll get, how anything other than a relegation scrap is on the cards.

Last year Dickov missed a trick in the FA cup. We should have played a full side against Accy. Hopefully we can make round 3 or at least take it more seriously. It could be a vital revenue stream.

Want:

Us to be a competitive side who mix it with the better sides in the division & reach as high as we possibly can.

Realistically Expect:

With our budget, gates & expected squad size and strength – around where we’ve finished this season; talking 18th – 14th area of the table.

For me I would be happy finishing above Bury Rochdale and Tranmere, playing some of the same kind of football we did in the first half of this season.

Venturing further than thge 1st round in every cup we are in.

Acceptable performances against the big boys (not necessarily wins)

For us to bring in someone who looks like they have a slight incling of where the back of the net is.

To have some solid progress on the stadium fiasco as the club is currently without direction.

All the above I feel are reasonable and acheivable. Mid table will suit me fine

Dickov and co. will have learnt from this season, I would therefore expect a top 6 finish. IF not then at least top 10. I'm not bothered about the JP Trophy at all, and wouldn't mind going out in the 1st round, because there's no money in it unless we reach the final. In fact it costs money each round. Much better to drop out and not have the extra games where players could get injured. However we need to progress as far as possible in the other 2 cups which can provide TV income, as well as prize money.