Rueben Reid Stays!

I'm surprised that Reid has signed for next season. Reid seemed to say something when he was substituted against MK Dons that Dickov wasn't impressed with at all. With him not being offered a contract I thought that was that.

Credit to Reid for signing on reduced terms, hope he can get himself sorted and ready for the new season.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was joking about Feeney

looks like we are stuck with him, doesnt seem to be any money to pay him off

If he has been told by the club to look elswehere for employment, I dont think he will have many problems finding a new club. Northern Ireland International, theres bound to be a few clubs willing to take a gamble.

And from the flipside too, if Feeney wants to make the NI team its in his best interest to keep playing, if he isn't going to get that here then surely it would be in his own interests to move?

If he has been told by the club to look elswehere for employment, I dont think he will have many problems finding a new club. Northern Ireland International, theres bound to be a few clubs willing to take a gamble.

And from the flipside too, if Feeney wants to make the NI team its in his best interest to keep playing, if he isn't going to get that here then surely it would be in his own interests to move?

he makes it anyway

I just don't get this "he'll have a pre-season to get fit" nonsense.

He came to us 5 months ago. What the feck does he do all week? I manage to keep in better shape than him working 50 hours a week and getting to the gym a couple of times a week for an hour or two.

At Swindon a couple of weeks ago he was pretty dreadful...overweight,slow,headless chicken. He's taken a pay cut to stay because no-one else will pay him anything I suspect.

I'd much rather we were looking at strikers with a bit of pace in non-keague.

I'd absolutely love to be proved wrong 'though!!

He came to us 5 months ago. What the feck does he do all week? I manage to keep in better shape than him working 50 hours a week and getting to the gym a couple of times a week for an hour or two.

At Swindon a couple of weeks ago he was pretty dreadful...overweight,slow,headless chicken. He's taken a pay cut to stay because no-one else will pay him anything I suspect.

Totally agree -

What will make him fitter in pre-season that he couldn't do in the last 5 months ????

Poor signing and whatever wage they are paying would have been better spent on a youngster who will at least put some effort in.

Up to Reid to prove us wrong and for the clubs sake i hope he does.

I would be the first in line to hold my hands up if he does but somehow i feel come the end of Sept we will be after his blood.

Totally agree -

What will make him fitter in pre-season that he couldn't do in the last 5 months ????

Poor signing and whatever wage they are paying would have been better spent on a youngster who will at least put some effort in.

Up to Reid to prove us wrong and for the clubs sake i hope he does.

I would be the first in line to hold my hands up if he does but somehow i feel come the end of Sept we will be after his blood.

specific programme for fitness nd concentrate purely on fitness for a while?

I agree 100% and am a bit gutted we have gone back on this one! Its not just the weight issue with me, its the fact that in 95% of the games I saw him in he just didn't seem to want it! Lazy get with an attitude that he is a bit special is the impression I get, although again I hope he proves me wrong!

I can understand why people have there doubts, especially over the pre season thing, but I definately do think they will be working 100% more in preseason for match fitness. I'm not sure what there training is like during the season, surely can't be too much because they would be nackered by Saturday. Pre season will be a whole different style to there training I think. I remember the players who were at Oldham while Penney was here, Dickov came pre season and within a few months there fitness had improved vastly and it was noticeable on the pitch. Hopefully Reid will be in the same boat for next season.

If he can keep the weight off (with a reduced income maybe he'll only be able to afford to go to McDs 5 times a week) and if he can be brave enough to put himself and his head (and learn to use it - on the ball that is) where he might get hurt then he may be a useful player to have up front.

Maybe there's a clause in his contract that he has to gethimself fit pre-season or it's bye bye? Something measurable like a certain amount of weight loss or reduction in body fat ratio? Let Butler work his magic over the next few months. I definitely saw glimpses of a good player - he did a lot of work off the ball. I did not see this 'lazy' player a lot of you did.

Pleased with this as a potential good signing.

Give the lad a chance to complete a pre-season to improve fitness and gain some confidence and form!

Back end of last season the whole team was misfiring so how do you expect a striker to improve, especially if he was in and out the team?

He's got his chance to prove the doubters wrong. The lad had great potential and you don't lose ability and skill. He needs to apply himself and until his kicked a ball in anger for 10 games in a row next season the let's reserve judgement until then.

The last player to do that went on to play every minute of every game and win all the awards.

I agree with that!

He is also a lot younger, and has plenty of time to develop. 22 is still young for a striker to be top of his game

Like many others, I'm not convinced about the 'lack of fitness' excuse for his performances - after all, if a young healthy man engaged in professional sport cannot build up to an acceptable level of fitness over a period of 4 months, then something is clearly wrong.

What I prefer to focus on is the fact that he came into the club just when things started to go wrong and the two essential components for success were diminishing at a rapid rate - confidence and consistency.

The club now has the chance to start the next season with a squad of committed players from which a settled side will emerge with playing styles and partnerships that bring out the best in everyone. The pre-season training programmes will give the players the best possible start but ...... at the end of the day it's up to the players to realise they'll only get out what they put in.

Rueben's reduced terms are a testimony to that and other players would be well advised to take note.

Like many others, I'm not convinced about the 'lack of fitness' excuse for his performances - after all, if a young healthy man engaged in professional sport cannot build up to an acceptable level of fitness over a period of 4 months, then something is clearly wrong.

What I prefer to focus on is the fact that he came into the club just when things started to go wrong and the two essential components for success were diminishing at a rapid rate - confidence and consistency.

The club now has the chance to start the next season with a squad of committed players from which a settled side will emerge with playing styles and partnerships that bring out the best in everyone. The pre-season training programmes will give the players the best possible start but ...... at the end of the day it's up to the players to realise they'll only get out what they put in.

Rueben's reduced terms are a testimony to that and other players would be well advised to take note.

If you're never quite fit and keep playing it usually makes you worse. Fitness doesn't always relate to stamina, look at Taylor the season before last. Granted it stemmed from an injury but after that went he still never looked the same because he was never ready for a full match but was forced into them. To be honest not really seen hi play much as don't get to many games down where I am, but I'd sooner have a keen player who wants to be here and get his career back on track than some player collecting wages before he dicides to call it a day. West Brom must have seen something, he might not be Premiership quality but that doesn't mean he's crap.

Agree, both his goals for us, his 6 for Walsall and from what I remember seeing his goals on TV week in week out at Rovrum were scored INSIDE the box, so stop our wingers and midfielders piss-farting about and feed him inside the box and he'll get his fair share. Give it him with his back to goal and 45 yards from goal and he'll do very little...

so perfect for the 4-2-3-1 formation that Dickov was playing prior to it all going wrong