Latics to consider legal action against Jacobsen

If we start pursuing legal action against all rumours on the internet

1. Our legal bills will be bigger than the players wage bill

2. This site will shut down within weeks.

I'm expecting to hear all kind of weird and wonderful rumours about us who is coming and going over the next 3 months and about 60-70% of it will be utter bull

Who said anything about sueing him?

Legal action to stop him repeating falsehoods is not an uncommon act. A simple injunction (not a super one).

But what would the point be? Sounds like he's already got the message and is bricking himself.

But what would the point be? Sounds like he's already got the message and is bricking himself.

I didn't say we should.

The threat is enough.

I was responding to comments saying that sueing wasn't a good idea and pointed out that the club had never mentioned sueing.

Get a grip,

Someone had misinformed him and he obviously realised he made a mistake, the fact that he used the term 'Oldham boys' would suggest that he was genuinely thinking of his mates at the club. He was then told he was wrong and rectified it immediately.

He should just post an apology and then it's end of.

Get a grip,

Someone had misinformed him and he obviously realised he made a mistake, the fact that he used the term 'Oldham boys' would suggest that he was genuinely thinking of his mates at the club. He was then told he was wrong and rectified it immediately.

He should just post an apology and then it's end of.

Didn't help that he half arsed an apology and didn't say he was wrong. "Apologies if people and the club took my comments in the wrong context"

Didn't help that he half arsed an apology and didn't say he was wrong. "Apologies if people and the club took my comments in the wrong context"

The right context would have been if he'd published his comment a few months ago when the players really didn't get paid. I really miss him bombing on and sending crosses out of the ground.

It would probably cost us more in legal fees and bad publicity (the club that sues its ex-players) than we'd recoup from the savings of a mediocre League Two footballer.

The best way out for the club is a strong statement on the website that wages have been paid, then move on. I hope the legal threats don't get pushed further. I doubt the club would do more than looking vindictive (regardless of being in the right).

This is another example of the spreading of misinformation, giving the stayaways another 'reason' to slag off the Club.

In an ideal world, the rarely-wrong Chron will publish the 'considering legal action' story, with an interview with Jacobson, apologising for the damage caused to the Club's reputation. This to be coupled with a reminder about the Club's need for more people to buy season tickets to help the summer cashflow and a reminder about the need for more PlayerShare scheme subscribers.

I didn't say we should.

The threat is enough.

I was responding to comments saying that sueing wasn't a good idea and pointed out that the club had never mentioned sueing.

Hahaha, I love the fact that my post has got -5!!! If you read page 1 of the thread, a number of posts mentioned suing - I wasn't referring to the club's statement.

Either way, the club publicly suggesting legal action is way OTT.

Edited by bossrocks

Either way, the club publicly suggesting legal action is way OTT.

The Club needs as much positive news as possible to generate more support. It is constantly pissing against the wind! It has to rely on the same few supporters pumping in money through STs, marketing, the shop and the PlayerShare scheme.

You cannot underestimate the damage done to potential sources of income by adverse comments, whether true or fictitious. For it to be a former player apparently making up stories is unforgiveable. There has to be a deterrent to minimise the risk of a recurrence.

A public flogging on the Town Hall steps would not be OTT!

The Club needs as much positive news as possible to generate more support. It is constantly pissing against the wind! It has to rely on the same few supporters pumping in money through STs, marketing, the shop and the PlayerShare scheme.

You cannot underestimate the damage done to potential sources of income by adverse comments, whether true or fictitious. For it to be a former player apparently making up stories is unforgiveable. There has to be a deterrent to minimise the risk of a recurrence.

A public flogging on the Town Hall steps would not be OTT!

A public apology and JJ signing up to PlayerShare would suffice :wink:

No need for the :wink: . With coverage in the rarely-wrong Chron, that's exactly what is needed at the moment.

You think a player we're threatening with legal action deciding to donate money to us is exactly what's needed? It'd certainly be interesting I'll give you that.

You think a player we're threatening with legal action deciding to donate money to us is exactly what's needed? It'd certainly be interesting I'll give you that.

But it's not always easy, crowbarring playershare into a thread.

But what if he actually was owed money by the club himself - would you think the same way then? I think that theres a lot more to this story. Does anyone know if Jacobsen or any of the other players culled have been paid?

But what if he actually was owed money by the club himself - would you think the same way then? I think that theres a lot more to this story. Does anyone know if Jacobsen or any of the other players culled have been paid?

He cleary stated it was "oldham boys" in the current tense, ie ones who are here. Nothing to do with past players.

Your post clearly indicates why the club should take a hard line.

conspiritist theorist will beleive there is no smoke without fire.

He hinself has said it is a misunderstanding. Why was he not happy to stick to his story then?

I'd love to know ho the snake in the grass is at Latics though. It's smacks of someone who might have had a missing part of their salary like some overtime going to all and sundry rather than the person doing the payroll when a genuine mistake was made.

Happens in the real world too, with lots of fanciful paranoia accompanying it.

Edited by singe