Dale Stephens Gone?

According to talksport!!Charlton have pulled off a major transfer coup by landing highly-rated midfielder Dale Stephens from Oldham.

Addicks boss Chris Powell has managed to convince Stephens to shun interest from Championship sides to move to the Valley after the Reds had a £375,000 bid accepted.

Burnley were among those eyeing the 21-year-old, who spent the end of last season on-loan at Southampton, but he has now signed a three-year contract at Charlton as the ambitious League One side gear up for a promotion assault.

Good luck to Dale if that's the case but at the risk of being labelled another moaner it really annoys me when in the same "report" Dagenham seem to be getting more money for their best player!

If however PD manages to now get McDonald and Mvoto then I would be more than happy.

He's gone to Charlton. The fee is 375,000 with 75,000 going to Bury. Seeing as we took the risk on him as a youngster and paid 120,000 for him, Then invested in him in wages and trainig 180K seems like a poor return to me as the 180K doesnt take into account wages paid while he was with us. No wonder the club has no money with business skills like that.

For once why cant we get paid what a player is worth?

Because what he's worth is what someone else is willing to pay and we're willing to accept. There's no objective measure. If there were lots of clubs competing for his signature, we'd get more (but what does it say that Southampton don't seem to have been keen?). And maybe it means we're desperate.

I'm not happy about the fee, but if it means money for Dickov then fine with me. If keeping Stephens means we can't bring in two or three other players, it's a gamble that I think we had to take.

He's gone to Charlton. The fee is 375,000 with 75,000 going to Bury. Seeing as we took the risk on him as a youngster and paid 120,000 for him, Then invested in him in wages and trainig 180K seems like a poor return to me as the 180K doesnt take into account wages paid while he was with us. No wonder the club has no money with business skills like that.

For once why cant we get paid what a player is worth?

I know there were add-ons to the deal with Bury, but did we pay £120k for him?

Many percentage sell-on clauses are a percentage of the difference between the 2 transfer fees, not a percentage of the full sell-on fee. Just a thought!

According to what AH said on the official site a few days ago, ALL of the funds if Stephens went would be used for team building! Thats how I read it.

As for how much he is worth, any player is only worth what other teams are prepared to pay for him. Dont forget we have already turned down several bids for him and I think the value is about right. I wish Dale all the best and hope it works out for him, however I dont think he was anything special and can be replaced!

In Dickov we trust!

The club has said that the funds from any player sales will be ploughed back into the budget. Therefore, the true worth of Stephens' fee (whatever it is) can only be judged once we see the calibre of players brought into the club.

If this funds a 'keeper, M'Voto and Donaldson / McDonald then I'll be very happy.

According to what AH said on the official site a few days ago, ALL of the funds if Stephens went would be used for team building! Thats how I read it.

Thats how I read it aswell. BUT this time last year AH said that Dickov was hardly being paid anything and the budget was in place for the season, a few months later he was crowing about appointing Dickov instead of a budget option whilst also not paying the players!!

Hes full of bull:censored: and just wanted us to renew our ST's.

As for how much he is worth, any player is only worth what other teams are prepared to pay for him. Dont forget we have already turned down several bids for him and I think the value is about right. I wish Dale all the best and hope it works out for him, however I dont think he was anything special and can be replaced!

In Dickov we trust!

That is what Hardy said two days ago, Now it is a percentage of the undisclosed fee that will be ploughed back into the squad. The bull that comes out of this club is getting riduculous. All we here season after season is we need to raise funds, Join Player Share and give us more of your money, We need bigger gates etc. etc. Heres an idea, Stop selling our assets for next to nothing and the club might not be stuggling the way that it is. Stop making statements like any money raised by selling stephens will be ploughed back into the squad and two days later when you have sold him for a pittance say a percentage of that pittance will be invested into the squad. People might show more interest if they didn't feel like the club were shafting them at every oppurtunity.

Oldham Athletic had a golden oppertunity to raise a decent amount of capital by selling a very talented youngster for what he was really worth but again made a right royal mess of it. Get your own ship in order before you start asking everyone else to cough up more money!