The World's gone mad

Newcastle are selling the name rights to St JAmes' Park.

Whilst slightly unusual in tthat it is a current stadium not a new one

What is most unusual is that their MD has stated it is to buy "another " player

Just one

No new news, but how much things have spiralled out of control.

Having to sell your soul for one player, imaigine it was Boumsing.

£10m!!

I'd have no problem renaming BP, but want us to do it only if we get more than 1 player!

Imagine we spent it on Dean Windass.

For every Shefki Kuqi there are 5 Windass's or Ormerod or Toddy Orlyggsson.

Newcastle are selling the name rights to St JAmes' Park.

Whilst slightly unusual in tthat it is a current stadium not a new one

What is most unusual is that their MD has stated it is to buy "another " player

Just one

No new news, but how much things have spiralled out of control.

Having to sell your soul for one player, imaigine it was Boumsing.

£10m!!

I'd have no problem renaming BP, but want us to do it only if we get more than 1 player!

Imagine we spent it on Dean Windass.

For every Shefki Kuqi there are 5 Windass's or Ormerod or Toddy Orlyggsson.

they are buying Kuqi back in a £10 million deal

So all these geordies who ask the taxi driver to take them to st james park are now going to end up at exeter?

It means chuff all, If we could rename BP for £a mill I'd be well up for that. I still call the main stand the george hill stand. Whats that stand called we recently knocked down? the broadway stand? the mortgage stand? the ford stand? No, its the lookers stand.

Take the money and run.

It seems mad changing the name of such an established stadium. I see no problem in selling naming rights to new stadiums (e.g. Emirates Stadium - that significantly increased the image and presence of the company) but who's seriously going to call St James Park the Sports Direct Arena or whatever it will be known as.

£10m is a lot of money to make from sponsorship but I doubt it would be worthwhile for a sponsor.

Or is this just a case of Mike Ashley being a Billy Big Bollocks again? Only wondered, seeing as he owns bloody Sports Direct. God, can you imagine the names that some stadiums would have if their owners named them after their businesses? Or am I being cynical? Heaven forbid we had ever ended up with the T***x Arena.

Or is this just a case of Mike Ashley being a Billy Big Bollocks again? Only wondered, seeing as he owns bloody Sports Direct. God, can you imagine the names that some stadiums would have if their owners named them after their businesses? Or am I being cynical? Heaven forbid we had ever ended up with the T***x Arena.

Do Durex sponsor any stadiums ?

Edited by BP1960

He's pulling the same trick the Abu Dhabi royals are doing with Citeh- "sponsoring" the stadium meaning the club gets income from a source other than the owner although its the same pot of money.

Plus I go the impression that it being named after Sports Direct was to give other companies the idea of sponsoring the stadium and what benefits it might have, if some company comes in and offers a similar rate it will get named something else.

Wouldn't have put Toddy in that catergory?

Coming up "North" for the FA Trophy game?

Wouldn't have put Toddy in that catergory?

Coming up "North" for the FA Trophy game?

Hi Dave,

Unfortauntely I ahve something else ont hat day, or I might jsut have!

PS I meant Ian Olney :blush:

Did you go Dave?

Tonbridge seem to think that BS were just long ball merchants, and have a good chance back at Longmead.

Carshalton Away for the next round, a bit more appealing for Tonbridge fans!

Edited by singe

He's pulling the same trick the Abu Dhabi royals are doing with Citeh- "sponsoring" the stadium meaning the club gets income from a source other than the owner although its the same pot of money.

Plus I go the impression that it being named after Sports Direct was to give other companies the idea of sponsoring the stadium and what benefits it might have, if some company comes in and offers a similar rate it will get named something else.

Rudemedic is right, it is only temporary to entice someone.

Though having nailed their mast stating it is for £10m and Marketing Director worth is salt will negotiaite down from that figure.

A company could get some great publicity by buying the naming rights & calling it St James' Park, they'd still end up with enough sponsorship around the ground to bleed the Geordies dry

Not sure it would be worth £10m... but could be called something like 'Lloyds TSB St James' Park', that would be the best of both worlds (or the least undesirable option if a sponsors name has to be in the stadium name

Not sure it would be worth £10m... but could be called something like 'Lloyds TSB St James' Park', that would be the best of both worlds (or the least undesirable option if a sponsors name has to be in the stadium name

If a bank is going to get involved it will be Northern Rock, I can see a big MNC with links to the North East getting involved, like Nissan or Komatsu