Who was the best Latics keeper at taking crosses ?

Taking crosses under pressure seems a lost goalkeeping art these days, who was the best you remember at this playing for Latics ?

Ones that spring to my mind are Les Pogliacomi, and going back a long way Peter McDonnell.

Edited by BP1960

Taking crosses under pressure seems a lost goalkeeping art these days, who was the best you remember at this playing for Latics ?

Ones that spring to my mind are Les Pogliacomi, and going back a long way Peter McDonnell.

Gerrard imho, rolled back the years a couple of times last week too

Interesting question.

Keepers used to be much smaller so was it harder in the 60s?

Johnny Bollands just 5' 9",Jimmy Rollo (my hero) 5'11", John Hardie bit bigger at 6'1", Ron Swan 6', and,probably the best all round keeper of the period, David Best, was 5' 11" too. Maybe the forwards were less physically intimidating than they are now but keepers didn't get the protection they receive nowadays.

Of that period I'd say David Best.

In the 70s we did , of course, have Harry Dowd. Again only 5' 10" but I reckon he was good in the air.

Edited by LaticsPete

Pogs good on crosses? reactions save, and penaltys he was great but i didn think he was that hot on crosses

Id nomimnate gary kelly but its many years and i was a bit young at the time. haha.

Not just me then! I had to read it a few times to check there weren't any smilies.

Pogs good on crosses? reactions save, and penaltys he was great but i didn think he was that hot on crosses

Id nomimnate gary kelly but its many years and i was a bit young at the time. haha.

I remember Pogs plucking many a cross out of the air, with hindsight when he wasn't under pressure.

I will throw Jon Hallworth into the mix.

I remember Pogs plucking many a cross out of the air, with hindsight when he wasn't under pressure.

Hallworth was a very good shot-stopper but I thought he was terrible on crosses, Exhibit A would be Webb's header at Maine Road, and a fair few others. Having said that he was better than Rhodes, but Hallworth either flapped or was rooted to his line. Young Alex isn't too bad from the games i've seen him in.

Gary Kelly used to time his run out well to collect crosses and, when he came, he generally took the ball, by my recollection. The thing about Kelly though was he was very short for keeper and played to his strengths, so had the good sense to stay on his line most of the time, rather than contending a high ball against a striker twice his height.

He got better as his time at the club went on but I remember his first few games he was dodgy on crosses and dropped a clanger on the opening day against Cardiff. I remember Darren Beckford catching a cross once

I'd certainly go for Peter McDonnell; if he came for a cross, he'd go through everyone to get to it. He had one unusual aspect to his game, though. He took dead ball kicks right footed, but cleared from his hands left footed. I recall Nigel Batch at Grimsby was the same.

The best of the rest at crosses? Lee Grant, David Best, Gary Kelly, Johnny Bollands, Chris Ogden, Pogs (once he'd settled), Andy Goram, Paul Gerrard and a real blast from the past, David Teece.

The worst? Jan Budtz by a country mile, David Miskelly, Richard O'Donnell, Dean Brill and George Torrance. Christ, I feel old.