For those 30 or under

In terms of cup football grabbing the imagination the closest many of you will have seen would have been the 04-05 season.

Beating Stoke in the League Cup followed by a plum tie with Spurs (albeit a tatering)

Beating Thurrock, Orient and Man City in the FA Cup before narrowly losing to Bolton

Beating accy, Hartlepool, Bin Dippers on pens in the LDV before Juan Ugarte ripped us a new one in the Northern Final

A season that promised so much ground to a shuddering halt that February night at BP, and yet again disappointment reigned. But in playing 9 home cup times we played only one less home cup tie than we did in 89/90.

I know its only the JPT and some may sneer, but nothing beats that feeling of seeing your team run out at Wembley, whatever the reason. The JPT in the early stages is a bit of a joke but I hear few laughing now, often this competition has provided a platform for teams to mount a future promotion challenge, Wigan, Stoke, Blackpool, Southampton etc.. have all recently won this trophy and gone on to bigger and better things shortly after. Of course the club is still in a precarious position but WHY can't we dream?

Then there's the FA Cup, next week is massive, if the crowd in the home ends was anything to go by last night, it seems the worm is beginning to turn. Around a 1,000 more than the last round and momentum seems to be gathering. Beat Southend and we get another big day out and a six figure pay day.

Then there's the league, of course this is the longest shot of all but we are still handily placed and often success in cup competitions can prove a catalyst for a late push.

I was 12/13 during the last Pinch Me Season, this is slightly more low key, but at the level we're at and have been for the last 15 years it is still good going. If the season does transpire into something memorable, this time i'll be old enough to celebrate and appreciate it properly.

It'd be great for those who have only ever known this league or the league above since 1994 to have their own day in the sun, to gain their own fond memories of the team actually achieving something.

By the way Gordy coined the term 'Pinch me season II' in last night's programme, so shoot him, not me! :grin:

Edited by oafcprozac

I'm on the cusp of turning 30 but remember the 'good times' clearly. It'd have been nice to have been of an age where I could've enjoyed it with a beer or two, though.

Still remember finding my dad fully clothed asleep in the empty bath the morning after we won the league…..

if we won anything I'd be found under a hedge somewhere far from home….after about a week…..

I'm 27 - nearly 28. My first ever latics game was Frankie Bunn's 6. I went to west ham and southampton that year and both semi final games vs the scum at Maine Road. I didn't go to wembley though. I went to every game of the cup run in 94. Being 10 in 94 I just didn't appreciate it.

We must beat either chesterfield or Southend... otherwise I'm possibly going to top myself.

Still remember finding my dad fully clothed asleep in the empty bath the morning after we won the league…..

if we won anything I'd be found under a hedge somewhere far from home….after about a week…..

I actually did fall through a hedge after the league was won. Happy Days :grin:

Edited by Loftyboy

For those who have never been to wembley with latics, all i can say is when the team walked out onto the hallowed turf in their suits before the game, it brought a lump to my throat the size of an apple! I was fighting back the tears, i was as proud as punch.

I always said i wouldn't go to wembley until it was with latics, so i thought it was very unlikely i'd ever get there ( it was much harder to get there in those days )

If we get there, don't miss out.......days like these are rare and should be cherished.

I'm over 30 but I would say this isn't pinch me 2 as we are looking at a possible final in a cup that you have to be in the bottom 2 leagues to qualify for and the big game on the horizon is one that a Championship level club automatically qualifies for, not has to play 2 games to get to.

I would say that this is foreplay to another pinch me season as 3 good results (Southend and 2xChesterfield) would give us a springboard for next season if we build on some good foundations being laid this season.

Let's not forget that we went out of the League Cup at the first round, could still go out of the tinpot cup at the Northern area final stage, go out of the FA cup in the 2nd round and finish bottom half of the league, not so pinch me now.

On the flip side, we could win the tinpot, reach the 4th or 5th round of the FA cup and get promoted via the play-offs - now that would be pinch me.

But having said all that, I've been buzzing today, there is something special happening at the club at the moment and it is a good time to be a Latics fan. I'm going to see a few lads over the next few days that I've not seen for about 10 years, they all support prem teams but I can go with my head held high rather than just come out with lines like "At least I go to the games".

If only the people of Oldham would get off their sofas and put their spare hard earned cash into the club we might have a proper pinch me season next year and the year after....

I'm 23. So i'm sure i can speak for a fair few of those of a similar age. This division is all i've known with the closest to success we have been is three failed playoff campaigns where we have exited before Wembley. As for the cup the highlights are probably beating City and Everton before going out in the very next round, with the mini league cup run under Dowie also worth a mention. Also as mentioned the area final we had with Wrexham. Thats about it and compared to the success we have had 2 decades ago is f**k all really.

The here and now. Well i gotta say im excited as owt that we seem to have something going for us for a change and a bit of buzz going with the club, probably heightened with having, potentially, a cracking FA cup draw to look forward to, a potential trip to Wembley and a chance (a long one imo) at the playoffs and promotion all in the same season. Admittedly this could all pan out the same way it can do and we could exit both cups (before Anfield and Wembley), drop off in the play off chase and be left with :censored:e all again and it will just be another year to add to the too many years we have seen no success.

I'm just going to enjoy it while i can and hope that this year, things might be that little bit different!

Best year for many , but ..... pinch me season dream on.

League Cup record 6 goals in a game Frankie Bunn still stands.

Victory over league champions Arsenal 3-1

Victory over League Leaders Aston Villa 3-0

Victory over Southampton after 93rd minute draw at The Dell

6-0 League Cup Semi Final Win

3 Fa Cup 5th Round Games with Everton

2 Fa Cup Semis with Man United

And a League Cup Final.

That was different gravy

I'm 23. So i'm sure i can speak for a fair few of those of a similar age. This division is all i've known with the closest to success we have been is three failed playoff campaigns where we have exited before Wembley. As for the cup the highlights are probably beating City and Everton before going out in the very next round, with the mini league cup run under Dowie also worth a mention. Also as mentioned the area final we had with Wrexham. Thats about it and compared to the success we have had 2 decades ago is f**k all really.

The here and now. Well i gotta say im excited as owt that we seem to have something going for us for a change and a bit of buzz going with the club, probably heightened with having, potentially, a cracking FA cup draw to look forward to, a potential trip to Wembley and a chance (a long one imo) at the playoffs and promotion all in the same season. Admittedly this could all pan out the same way it can do and we could exit both cups (before Anfield and Wembley), drop off in the play off chase and be left with :censored:e all again and it will just be another year to add to the too many years we have seen no success.

I'm just going to enjoy it while i can and hope that this year, things might be that little bit different!

I'm also 23 and remember all of this but the Wrexham game. I also remember I went to Wembley in 1994. It was my 6th birthday. I remember getting lost under the flag and then reappearing much to the delight of my grandparents. That's about it though unfortunately. I hope to god we get to Wembley, it's something I won't ever forget and after last time going with Rochdale as I'm from Rochdale and all my mates support them, to watch an actual propper team play and hopefully win will be one of the best days iv ever had.

I went to Wembley in 1990. Even though I'd moved away from Oldham in 1966 and worked in Europe for many years, there was no way I was going to miss that one. An old friend got the tickets (sadly, we lost touch some time afterwards) and I distinctly remember crying when they came out of the tunnel and again at the end. I was so proud of them, I just wanted to stay there and clap until my hands hurt.

I'm 67 now and my one dream (well, ones that I can mention!) is to go back to Wembley with my beloved Latics. It's such a rare event, not like the big boys who get there every other year, that it is a really special day. I don't care that some think the Paint Pot is a waste of time and a pointless competition. Yes, it does mean that we are in the lower divisions but, if we get there, it's OUR cup final and means just as much to me as it does to a supporter of the money men when they make the FA Cup or Carling Cup final.

We ARE Latics and proud of it.

Pinch me? not quite, but beat Chesterfield and get to the final and it is bigger than the last one IMO. I went to Wembley in 1990 and was first there, arriving at before 7 am, great parking space and a day tube ticket to see the sights....was fantastic BUT THIS TIME. my lad is just 16, I never thought I would see another human being with the same passion i have over the latics, but it is definately him, he comes to the games (home n away) with a few mates who are all 16 n under and he still recruits regularly.......to cut it short, IF I COULD WALK DOWN WEMBLEY WAY TO WATCH THE LATICS WITH MY BOY BY MY SIDE....YES!! IT WOULD BE PINCH ME ALL OVER AGAIN.

Pinch me? not quite, but beat Chesterfield and get to the final and it is bigger than the last one IMO. I went to Wembley in 1990 and was first there, arriving at before 7 am, great parking space and a day tube ticket to see the sights....was fantastic BUT THIS TIME. my lad is just 16, I never thought I would see another human being with the same passion i have over the latics, but it is definately him, he comes to the games (home n away) with a few mates who are all 16 n under and he still recruits regularly.......to cut it short, IF I COULD WALK DOWN WEMBLEY WAY TO WATCH THE LATICS WITH MY BOY BY MY SIDE....YES!! IT WOULD BE PINCH ME ALL OVER AGAIN.

Nice one Jacko, I thought I was losing my lad to the bright lights of the Premier, But recently he's started sitting with his mates at games and the interest seems to be returning. He was buzzing the other night and with the FA Cup draw. Kuqi has made a big impression on him too, He's asked me to get him a half season ticket. My daughter is more like I was, takes it all in Stat mad, collects the programmes and stalks her favourite player. She's already got her tickets for the party next week too.

Edited by oafcprozac

Its not pinch me season, but if win at Wembley and beat Liverpool at Anfield it will be our best season since we left the Premier League (actually probably the Great Escape).

The Pinch me year we were one of the best teams in the land (and the best in Manchester)- this year we aren't even one of the best teams in our league. What regulars need to do is make the atmosphere as good as possible IF we get to Anfield +/- Wembley.

I'm genuinely glad others are getting excited, but me? Not really. 12th in League and not winning enough games to look like we have a genuine chance of play offs. Out of CC early doors. Taken to a reply in 2nd rnd of FAC by a (good) 4th div side. Decent run in the JPT. Plenty of positives, but we've done nowt yet that's worthy of evoking memories of 89-90.

I'm genuinely glad others are getting excited, but me? Not really. 12th in League and not winning enough games to look like we have a genuine chance of play offs. Out of CC early doors. Taken to a reply in 2nd rnd of FAC by a (good) 4th div side. Decent run in the JPT. Plenty of positives, but we've done nowt yet that's worthy of evoking memories of 89-90.

Oh reallly...

stone roses playing big outdoor gigs, a tory government, riots and rallies in the streets, Man United not in the European Cup - all it needs now is Latics at Wembley and it is 89-90!!!

Edited by pukka

You know I always think its unfair that we compare teams to those of the Royle era it can act as a milstone around many a player/managers necks asking them to achieve feats that are clearly beyond their capabilities.

My first game was in 1990 and my third game was the 1990 final against Forest. That team came together over several years the manager learnt his trade over several years, their was no Bosman ruling so players didn't have the same power they do now, so the chances of losing players to bigger clubs was reduced. Their was alot less money involved and you would only see about 20 games live on tv each season where as now you can see that in the space of about 2 weeks if you have the technology. Stadiums weren't all seater, their was only a handful of overseas players playing in this country, and the premiership wasn't born, it was a different world.

As has been said we have laid some decent foundations so far this season and we have given ourselves a platform going into the new year to achieve something this season. If we go back to August and that first game against Sheffield United I fet extremley worried it kind of reminded me how I felt after we were beat by Stoke at home at the start of 96-97 I really thought we were in for a long slog. So being able to say we are now going into Christmas with a genuine chance of Wembley a genuine chance of a big day out at a top premiership side, and even an outside chance of nicking a play off spot is something to be satisfied about.

Even if we did get to Wembley and win the JPT it would not match the pinch me season that was far beyond expectations and was truely an exceptional achievement in the clubs history. However if all goes to plan it should be celebrated, the players and management should be appreciated for their effort and remembered fondly, We can then start talking about Paul Dickov the Oldham legend. I also hope we do for the younger fans who have seen no success and to be honest we are lucky to have really. Their's enough peer pressure at school to fit so in and go with the flow plus their is enough distractions to keep them occupied on a saturday so the ones that come to Latics should be appreciated. As for those of us who have stuck it out through successive relegations and false dawns I'm hoping that just once the big man upstairs will decide that us Latics fans have suffered enough for far too long and deserve something to celebrate and fortune will for once be on our side.

Keep the faith

In terms of cup football grabbing the imagination the closest many of you will have seen would have been the 04-05 season.

Beating Stoke in the League Cup followed by a plum tie with Spurs (albeit a tatering)

Beating Thurrock, Orient and Man City in the FA Cup before narrowly losing to Bolton

Beating accy, Hartlepool, Bin Dippers on pens in the LDV before Juan Ugarte ripped us a new one in the Northern Final

A season that promised so much ground to a shuddering halt that February night at BP, and yet again disappointment reigned. But in playing 9 home cup times we played only one less home cup tie than we did in 89/90.

I know its only the JPT and some may sneer, but nothing beats that feeling of seeing your team run out at Wembley, whatever the reason. The JPT in the early stages is a bit of a joke but I hear few laughing now, often this competition has provided a platform for teams to mount a future promotion challenge, Wigan, Stoke, Blackpool, Southampton etc.. have all recently won this trophy and gone on to bigger and better things shortly after. Of course the club is still in a precarious position but WHY can't we dream?

Then there's the FA Cup, next week is massive, if the crowd in the home ends was anything to go by last night, it seems the worm is beginning to turn. Around a 1,000 more than the last round and momentum seems to be gathering. Beat Southend and we get another big day out and a six figure pay day.

Then there's the league, of course this is the longest shot of all but we are still handily placed and often success in cup competitions can prove a catalyst for a late push.

I was 12/13 during the last Pinch Me Season, this is slightly more low key, but at the level we're at and have been for the last 15 years it is still good going. If the season does transpire into something memorable, this time i'll be old enough to celebrate and appreciate it properly.

It'd be great for those who have only ever known this league or the league above since 1994 to have their own day in the sun, to gain their own fond memories of the team actually achieving something.

By the way Gordy coined the term 'Pinch me season II' in last night's programme, so shoot him, not me! :grin:

I turn 29 in Feb but remember that season well. For his faults Talbot gave us some decent cup runs fact regardless of his league posistion his win against City was forgotton by his decision to field a weakened side against Wrexham in the semi final first leg.

It is brilliant to have some of that hope back, but lets not kid ourselves, this is far from those heady days.

Then we were beatig the Premier League teams left right and centre, were on the back pages of many a paper and became many peoples second team.

And we backed it up for nigh on 3 seasons.

In an era when there is saturated coverage now, we are not evena blip on the radar, and a trip to Wembley wonlt change that much.

Of course, a decent result at Anfield might create a ripple in the wider English consciousness

But for us the fans it is fantastic, take nothing away from that feeling of maybe, just maybe.