Olympics

I'm kind of glad the footballers lost, in a way. They get enough adulation, athletes only get to really be in the spotlight once every 4 years, I wouldn't want them to steal their thunder.

Mixed race woman becoming the nation's sweetheart, a Somali Muslim immigrant winning Britain's first 10000m gold medal, and a convicted car thief from Huyton gets off to a winning start in the boxing.... yeah, Daily Mail readers will be delighted.

e2a: oh yeah, and I bet no-one's calling Jessica Ennis 'fat' this weekend.

I did want a GB V Brazil semi final, as I've got tickets for the match, but now I can enjoy Brazil as a neutral rather than worrying about them scoring.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did want a GB V Brazil semi final, as I've got tickets for the match, but now I can enjoy Brazil as a neutral rather than worrying about them scoring.

Seconded, and in terms of non-GB games could have got then Brazil v South Korea is pretty high up there. For starters it's Brazil. It's also between two proper football nations. In British spirit I'd rather SK won it, but very much looking forward to just seeing Brazil play.

Food allowed in? Is the food inside standard football fare?

Yes. We took sandwiches in small clear food bags. Pies of varying nature on sale for c£3.50. Didn't notice any burgers. Big box of Pringles £2.50. They did sell out of pies at half time during the second game!

I think a beer was £4 and wine £5.20.

Prozac posted elsewhere on this thread when I asked a similar question.

I dislike all but top quality boxing, without the skill there it looks less like a sport and more emphasis on the violence. I'm not sold on women's boxing just yet.

I could be wrong but the emphasis seems to be more on skill than power in amateur boxing - the scoring button system seems to make it more like fencing than a slug-it-out brawl. Women's participation in most sports was seen as 'unnatural' at one point. Great to see Natasha Jonas getting off to a winning start, great ambassador for the sport and thoroughly decent person. She's got her work cut out against Katie Taylor though.

I could be wrong but the emphasis seems to be more on skill than power in amateur boxing - the scoring button system seems to make it more like fencing than a slug-it-out brawl. Women's participation in most sports was seen as 'unnatural' at one point. Great to see Natasha Jonas getting off to a winning start, great ambassador for the sport and thoroughly decent person. She's got her work cut out against Katie Taylor though.

This is perhaps true, although to an extent that it now makes amateur boxing for men or women questionable, and throws more murk over my feelings. The aim is still meant to be to render the other person unconscious. It's crap that you get a point for tickling a chin the same as you do for a belting uppercut, but that is more about amateur vs pro than about womens boxing. I don't think it's an accident that not so many amateurs are coming through into the pro ranks now, the gold medailst used to be fancied as a world title candidate in a few years, now we have Audley.

I don't think it's an accident that not so many amateurs are coming through into the pro ranks now, the gold medailst used to be fancied as a world title candidate in a few years, now we have Audley.

Yeah, I'm no expert on boxing but I think the difference between amateur and professional boxing's underestimated. I get the impression that promoters want to cash in on boxers like Harrison and Khan while they're marketable names after success at the Olympics, when really they should probably be spending a few years on the professional circuit before getting a shot at title fights. Lad who I work with reckons the funding at amateur level means that they don't have the same drive to make the step up when they turn professional, I'm not sure about that tbh.

I do think it's hilarious that one of the reasons the BBBC initially opposed granting licences to women was that they thought that female boxers would be 'unstable' due to PMT. God knows what they thought would happen.

I do think it's hilarious that one of the reasons the BBBC initially opposed granting licences to women was that they thought that female boxers would be 'unstable' due to PMT. God knows what they thought would happen.

They might have tried to hit people?

PS there is probably a PHD in how the menstrual cycle has affected women's Olympic events, but it's not for me to do it.

Any advice from those who have been to the 'lympics at OT as to how long it takes to get through security?

Two minutes.

No liquids allowed in.

I'm not sure about that - it was rapid on the first day for the Ukraine/UAE/GB/Senegal double header however for the Japan/Egypt game on Saturday the queues were much bigger for those with bags. A girl with us waited about 40 minutes to have hers searched in the section behind the North stand.

If you can avoid taking a bag I would. If not make sure it fits in to the clear bags you're given for pocket stuff - about the size of those you get at airports for carry on liquids.

Also - you can take water in, in small unopened bottles up to about 100ml. Our kid took three in to the first game but didn't come to the second, so not sure if that's change or not.

As o4u says - food is what you'd expect and at the price you'd expect. The only complaints I've had is at the first game it ran out before half time in the UKR/SEN game leaving about 3 hours where there was no food in the area we were sat. That and all the drinks are warm as they sell the ones in the fridge so quick.

£3.60 for a small bottle of Heineken or Magners

£5+ for a wine

Tub of Pringles £2.50

Pies and Pasties £3+

Water £1.60

Pop £2.30

We only bought drinks, as we took our own food. Food did run out at one stage but I believe they re-stocked.

Edited by oafcprozac

We've won a gold in the team jumping with horses for the first time in 60 years.

Apparently the horsey community were grumbling that the event should have taken place at Windsor or Badminton, instead of Greenwich. One of the riders said about the crowd "I've never seen people like it!" - normally he is protected from mixing with the great unwashed, but the toffs seem to be realising that these noisy, flag-waving oiks are not that bad after all.