Olympics

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not knowing the time difference between the break away group and the peleton was pretty ridiculous to be honest. Got to say, you could see the peleton wasn't going to catch even with a 60km or so left of the race. Nobody in the peleton was making any sort of attempt to help close the gap, just the 4 GB riders burning themselves out. How the other teams in the peleton raced was pretty disgusting to see and I can understand why Cav has spoken out after the race about it. People will say GB should have been part of the break group but the circumstances of other teams preferring to get no medal themselves just to deny one team the gold isn't something you expect in an olympic event. Can't really understand their thinking.

It was rubish the coverage was dire but comentary crazy. At end he was saying Greipel in 4th when 25th ish... called the 4th place wrong anyway...couldnt remember the riders because Italians in White?? What. ??? Couldnt tell it was Cancalara that crashed yet obvious as only one in group. Give the ex drug taking winner credit he got stuck in and went for it. Crowd was amazing. Tatics sumply weird from Germans did nothing.

Yeah he made a few errors but the common kits from a distance, which included the Italians in white- they normally wear blue, wouldn't have helped. Having said that Liggett and Sherwin made errors during the tdf all the time and don't get me started on the Eurosport guys.

Incidentally there are a few new tickets knocking around on the website, so those who want to see something might get it.

Not knowing the time difference between the break away group and the peleton was pretty ridiculous to be honest. Got to say, you could see the peleton wasn't going to catch even with a 60km or so left of the race. Nobody in the peleton was making any sort of attempt to help close the gap, just the 4 GB riders burning themselves out. How the other teams in the peleton raced was pretty disgusting to see and I can understand why Cav has spoken out after the race about it. People will say GB should have been part of the break group but the circumstances of other teams preferring to get no medal themselves just to deny one team the gold isn't something you expect in an olympic event. Can't really understand their thinking.

Most of the others had riders in the breakaway groups (convicts with O'Grady etc) so had a reason not to chase the lead down. The Germans were on the same strategy as us though except hoped to let us do so much work chasing them down that Cav would have no lead-out left, or end up doing some of the chasing himself and be shagged. WE had to let the breakaway go to nurse him up the hils but would have caught them easily if the rest hadn't been so scared and played a part.

Cavendish can complain all that he wants. Great Britain (Sky except for Millar) used exactly the same tactics as they've done all season, except it was for Cavendish and not for Wiggins as before. Tour de Romandie, Pairs-Nice, the Tour. All the same. Let breakaways go forward, then slowly reel them in. Except that this time, it bit them on the arse.

The course was a typical Belgian Classics course and as expected Gilbert did a huge turn on the front (surprised Boonen disappeared), as Cancellara did in the 2010 Paris Roubaix when it was alleged that he had an engine in his bike, and it was x-rayed at the next race.

Cavendish, despite his talent is a one trick pony, who needs dragging to the finish to win in the final sprint. He did win the 2010 Milan-san Remo with the Poggio at the end and a stage race this year, but he's basically just a sprinter. I see that Bernie Eisel took a turn helping him yesterday, as well.

I don't blame others not wanting to help the British team, why chase down a breakaway only to tow Cavendish to the finish and end up with silver, bronze or sod all while he outsprints everyone for gold? Perhaps there was more in play rather than just the medal. As they race together all season, maybe the other riders decided that they didn't care who won, as long as it wasn't Sky again. As Sanchez said during the Tour, "Sky just want to win everything."

A team of five can't control the peloton or chase down breakaways, and they all buried themselves for the cause.

Perhaps they should have changed tactics just for once and do the escape themselves, and make everyone else chase them instead of blaming everyone else. Vinokourov may be a former drugs cheat, but at least he was willing to give it a go, and made the most of Uran's lack of concentration.

As for the race presentation and commentary, in all of the years that I've followed cycling, I've never seen or heard anything as poor as that.

Cavendish can complain all that he wants. Great Britain (Sky except for Millar) used exactly the same tactics as they've done all season, except it was for Cavendish and not for Wiggins as before. Tour de Romandie, Pairs-Nice, the Tour. All the same. Let breakaways go forward, then slowly reel them in. Except that this time, it bit them on the arse.

The course was a typical Belgian Classics course and as expected Gilbert did a huge turn on the front (surprised Boonen disappeared), as Cancellara did in the 2010 Paris Roubaix when it was alleged that he had an engine in his bike, and it was x-rayed at the next race.

Cavendish, despite his talent is a one trick pony, who needs dragging to the finish to win in the final sprint. He did win the 2010 Milan-san Remo with the Poggio at the end and a stage race this year, but he's basically just a sprinter. I see that Bernie Eisel took a turn helping him yesterday, as well.

I don't blame others not wanting to help the British team, why chase down a breakaway only to tow Cavendish to the finish and end up with silver, bronze or sod all while he outsprints everyone for gold? Perhaps there was more in play rather than just the medal. As they race together all season, maybe the other riders decided that they didn't care who won, as long as it wasn't Sky again. As Sanchez said during the Tour, "Sky just want to win everything."

A team of five can't control the peloton or chase down breakaways, and they all buried themselves for the cause.

Perhaps they should have changed tactics just for once and do the escape themselves, and make everyone else chase them instead of blaming everyone else. Vinokourov may be a former drugs cheat, but at least he was willing to give it a go, and made the most of Uran's lack of concentration.

As for the race presentation and commentary, in all of the years that I've followed cycling, I've never seen or heard anything as poor as that.

The commentators had no chance. There were no time checks for 1/2 the race. Boardman was having to use his own watch. Shambolic.

Everything you say is correct, but with such a small team how did they expect to reel 30 riders back?

I used to be really into cycling, but the drugs problems put me off. I remember Riis going off the front in le tour up alp du'ez (I think) & no one could get near, even the likes of Virenque and Pantani. It was so obvious, and he was never caught. He later admitted it though.

I have got back into it over the last 2 years or so. I think its a lot cleaner now. Even if it is more predicable, in saying that though:

Yesterdays race was an old fashioned one of attacks with an unexpected winner....

Even if he has been a drugs cheat.

Pukka. You mention Riis. I've got his autobiography if you want to borrow it, it's a good read. I've also got one about Pantani and his use of EPO (sleeping with a heart monitor, and if his heartbeat dropped to a certain level, and alarm sounded. He then had to get out of bed and ride a stationary bike until his heart rate increased. This while riding the Giro), and his death from cocaine use.

But, I've also got a lot of books concerning a certain American rider who is suspected of using drugs, but to use his mantra, has never tested positive. That's exactly the same as what Riis used to say, and look what happened to him. I could bang on all day about Armstrong and his antics, but that's another matter. Hopefully, everything wil come out, and he can't smear and bully people who testify against thim as before and use people in high places to have investigations closed down as before.

As for drug taking, I gave up on cycling after the Festina affair (the book by Willy Voet, the soigneur for Festina is a frightening read. they were dicing with death with what they were doing), that was too much for me. Then Cofidis, Basso, Millar (his book is a good read) and Vinokourov etc.

There's still a hell of a lot to come out about drug taking, including vertain riders who are still in the peloton regarding Dr Michele Ferrari, but thankfully after the introduction of the bilogical passport that's been adopted by the IOC, things have changed.

Anyway, the same as you; I believe that it's now a clean sport, but a lot more negative tactically. I'm currently reading Eddy Mercx's biography, it was a lot different type of racing then, and not always clean.

As I say, if you want to borrow any books, let me know a cycling subject, and I'll post them off for you.

On the bright side, at least the premier event isn't brought down by a non-random drugs testing country that win virtually everything at that level.

Especially a bloke that improved his times by half a second in a single year, even then stopping to have a look around at the finishing line...

Their ('Egypt's) number 11 was superb and Wood for NZ had a good game, worth a loan enquiry from WBA was on at BHA two years ago also had spells at Brum and Brizzle City.

Not thought much of Neymar previously but in the flesh he was quality.

Their ('Egypt's) number 11 was superb and Wood for NZ had a good game, worth a loan enquiry from WBA was on at BHA two years ago also had spells at Brum and Brizzle City.

Not thought much of Neymar previously but in the flesh he was quality.

I picked out the Egyptian number 11 early on. Plays for Basle I think.

Both games were better for the underdogs scoring fist.

That tram makes it too easy for Oldhamers to get to Old Trafford though.

Fantastic result for Britain v Brazil. Superb performance (and a goal that gets better every time you watch it) in front of 70,000 at Wembley. Should help give the women's game the profile it deserves.

To the people handing out flags at Clapham Junction, standing parallel to each other with just under another person's width between them, thus blocking off a large portion of the overbridge of Britain's busiest railway station at one of the two busiest periods of the day; on behalf of the normal working population at large, not these sandal-wearing, picnic-carrying, painted-smiling, London-Twenty-Twelve-sympathising buffoons: :censored: OFF.