Olympics

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another despicable verb. Podium. To podium. I'm gonna win that race and podium. I podiumed earlier today. They're not finishing ahead of me; I am podiuming if it kills me.

-

"To medal" used to annoy me but I've mellowed, I don't mind it now. I'd rather athletes competing in events where medals are given said "I want to medal in the 100" rather than "I want to win a medal in 100", same as "podium" just an everyday evolution of the English language. The meaning is the same, just a more efficient way of saying it.

Another despicable verb. Podium. To podium. I'm gonna win that race and podium. I podiumed earlier today. They're not finishing ahead of me; I am podiuming if it kills me.

-

"Despicable"?!?! Brilliant. :laught30:

"My original vision for the Lottery was to fund a renaissance in sport, the arts and our heritage. I saw the opportunity to fund projects the Treasury would never be able to afford".

John Major.

Sometimes political vision needs to go beyond the next General Election. Sometimes. It needs to think beyond the party line. He may have been a non-entity PM, but he did something that is paying huge dividends nearly 20 years on.

Edited by opinions4u

From a sporting point of view, I think today is better than it would feel if England won the World Cup.

(even with the footballers losing on pens)

I'm kind of glad the footballers lost, in a way. They get enough adulation, athletes only get to really be in the spotlight once every 4 years, I wouldn't want them to steal their thunder.

Mixed race woman becoming the nation's sweetheart, a Somali Muslim immigrant winning Britain's first 10000m gold medal, and a convicted car thief from Huyton gets off to a winning start in the boxing.... yeah, Daily Mail readers will be delighted.

e2a: oh yeah, and I bet no-one's calling Jessica Ennis 'fat' this weekend.

Edited by rosa

Great that we are are getting results in non-sitting down events as well as the expected ones. There's no way we can do the same in all sports as we have done in cycling but we can learn a lot from them. Hopefully a few results from the boxing can surprise us again.

I don't care about Chinese results. It may be nasty, or suspect racism, but I don't care. These athletes appear for one or two years, storm the world, and are never heard from again. They are not competing on the global circuit where they get tested. They don't compete with good times over a number of years, which is the first guide to someone not having had a boost. I dread to think what happens in their training camps, both for those who succeed and for the many more of those who fail.

Had an incredible evening at the athletics last night. Simply outstanding in every way.

An atmosphere that was unlike any thing at football and as passionate as anything I have ever experienced. Full patriotic fervour without being nationalistic. The noise when Farah was on his last 200 metres was such that I literally couldn't here myself shout.

Top marks to the volunterrs, the organisation, the facilities, the transport - and to Team GB athletes.