Final league position

At the outset and Given size and age of squad, seem to remember most people on here thinking we'd finish somewhere between halfway and relegation. There now seems a lot of folk disappointed that we're achieving what they had originally thought. I thought we'd be in a long relegation battle so am pleased with our position.

At the outset and Given size and age of squad, seem to remember most people on here thinking we'd finish somewhere between halfway and relegation. There now seems a lot of folk disappointed that we're achieving what they had originally thought. I thought we'd be in a long relegation battle so am pleased with our position.

I hope PD doesn't think that way.

Edited by BP1960

There is an element of what could have been though.

Some of the points dropped since Christmas have been self inflicted.

Completely agree, I know it is all what if's but if we had kept our conectration and had some less than amateur defending the positio would look a lot healthier

CAn't help think, that PD was certain he woul not let heads drop some of the team know they will not be here next season.

That might be a good thing with decent repalcements.

We know we are only a few players off a good side.

Poor defending and not getting the ball in the net

Simple game innit!

Take away a brave try at Anfield & Sheff u's bizarre implosion & 2012 has been depressingly dull , lacking in goals & proper defending. Imo , the club not recovered from the defeats to Chesterfield , season ending & soul destroying missing out on Wembley.

A poor division and we should ,even with injuries, have been capable of 8th ,top half looking unlikely now .

I think the frustrating thing is we are not far off from getting it right silly mistakes leading to goals given away not being clinical enough infront of goal have cost us.

If you look at the last 3 home games Colchester, Scunthorpe, and Yeovil were all winnable games we could have taken maximum points from those game we would now be sitting 9th 7 points behind Notts County in 6th with 3 games in hand. The Chesterfield game again was very winnable and was one of the most if not the most frustrating nights in my 22 years of watching us. Part of this is that we have a very young team who are making daft mistakes. Its important that they learn from their mistakes quickly otherwise they will spend their careers just scratching a living out of the bottom 2 divisions. If they learn quickly from their mistakes then they won't be league 1 players for much longer.

I wonder if people say we should be doing better because Dickov is getting bad players to play better football than we expect so it has raised expectations without us really realising, or do we have amazing players and Dickov is doing :censored:e?

For me Dickov is doing quite well with a very mediocre squad, with arguably his best 3 players out.

I wonder if people say we should be doing better because Dickov is getting bad players to play better football than we expect so it has raised expectations without us really realising, or do we have amazing players and Dickov is doing :censored:e?

For me Dickov is doing quite well with a very mediocre squad, with arguably his best 3 players out.

i think this division is very poor this year. so whilst i would have been happy to avoid the drop at the start of the season, actually now i am disappointed to be where we are. we should be competing with notts county, carlisle and Stevenage

i think this division is very poor this year. so whilst i would have been happy to avoid the drop at the start of the season, actually now i am disappointed to be where we are. we should be competing with notts county, carlisle and Stevenage

I think the top five are particularly strong this year, leaving only one playoff place to fight for. Beyond those five, yes, the division's pretty weak. Latics can beat anyone on there day but equally can make anyone look like world beaters.

I think the top five are particularly strong this year, leaving only one playoff place to fight for. Beyond those five, yes, the division's pretty weak. Latics can beat anyone on there day but equally can make anyone look like world beaters.

I think that's it for me. I wasn't sure how well Sheff Utd would acclimatise, but knew that Charlton, Sheff Weds, Hudds & MKDons would be there & or there abouts. As it's turned out, those 5 have been in the top 5 all season really, so it's 6th place that is up for grabs.

The annoying thing is that, whilst at the start of the season I was settling for merely improvement on last season - whilst this season has been underway & seeing how the league is panning out, I think with more consistency; we could have realistically challenged the other 4 or 5 sides in battling for that 6th spot.

But that's been the killer all season - consistency. When we've been good; we've looked a decent side indeed. But jeez, when we've been bad we've been woeful.

The size of squad, quality within the back-up players, the average age of the squad and injuries to key players have all started to bite - especially in 2012. We've just not been able to get the same side out week in, week out and that's had a massive bearing on consistency of performance.

It's catch 22 though - if you go for a smaller squad but with more quality in it, when your smaller squad is stretched & when injuries bite, you then lack numbers & quality replacements.

Unfortunately, unless something drastic happens behind the scenes, it'll be the same again next year; only with a smaller budget to work with to build the squad from.

To answer the original question unfortunately I think we'll continue to fade badly and end up 17th or 18th if i'm totally honest. Sincerely hope i'm wrong but doubt I will be. I'm just grateful that the bottom 5 or 6 are utterly dreadful and look incapable of climbing any higher up the table...

I think there are 4 telling stats.

If you look at when we were behind at HT, it was 11 times, 3 games we have gone onto win. 3rd best pts per game in the Division.

SO Dickov's HT team talks when behind could be termed as pretty inspirational at times. I'll ignore the rather high number of goals conceded as a statistical anonomly... :-)

Howver, when we were drawing at HT, we have gone on to gain amongst the fewsest points in the league, 21st ranked in fact,

Too much complacency, perhaps saying keep doing what you are doing.

When in the lead, we have got a presectable 10th positon in gaining most points from the game.

We need the HT team talks to be like those when we are losing!

OVerall we have the worst second half performance in the league. Concentration, listening or fitness?

Concentratio I feel, we have conceded most in the first 5 and last 5 mins of the second half.

Finally our form v the position in the table is most telling

Not enough quality against those higher than us, enough v those against us.

AS others have said, that belies the myth of better quality but does not mitigate a 1/4 of the best line up being out for a key part of the season.

That Sheff Utd results looks better and better.

Results by table

Edit. Fifth point. So far only Sheff Weds, Brentford, Hartlepool and/or Bury can do the double over us.

In summary, we have not been good enough. :wink:

Edited by singe