Celtic in League one?o

Not seen it mentioned on here or the other forum. Wondered what peopls opinions on the fact Celtic in secret talks to join League one.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2012/03/18/celtic-in-secret-talks-about-switch-to-npower-league-one-in-england-102039-23793094/

Proberly wont happen be a good away day i wont deny it and fact they would sell out each game. But they should start in League 2 myself and how they be accomodated is a good question league of 25?

It seems wrong that a non-English team joins the English league but due to Swansea and Cardiff's participation in the Premiership and Championship it is hard to deny Celtic a place in the league especially if Pomey go into liquidation. They would increase attendances and provide a good day out but their financial power would be too big for league 1 and they would almost certainly be promoted...still can't see it happening though...

Seems wrong somehow but would be a nice payday for the club, would increase TV money and interest. Nice away trip also, against a side that would be re-building as many of their players would leave, so who knows a famous win in Glasgow could be on the cards.

But won't happen Celtic wouldn't want the risks are too great, UEFA would block and I would have thought the SFA would also have ways of stopping it. With Scotland trying to become independant the idea of their biggest club joining the English leagues wouldn't sit well with fans. This is only ever in the papers when the said paper is struggling to fill space, hence why it is done every year. No truth in any rumours.

Seems wrong somehow but would be a nice payday for the club, would increase TV money and interest. Nice away trip also, against a side that would be re-building as many of their players would leave, so who knows a famous win in Glasgow could be on the cards.

But won't happen Celtic wouldn't want the risks are too great, UEFA would block and I would have thought the SFA would also have ways of stopping it. With Scotland trying to become independant the idea of their biggest club joining the English leagues wouldn't sit well with fans. This is only ever in the papers when the said paper is struggling to fill space, hence why it is done every year. No truth in any rumours.

Didnt the SPL clubs apart from Celtic and Rangers, meet the other week to discuss a league without them in?

Didnt the SPL clubs apart from Celtic and Rangers, meet the other week to discuss a league without them in?

Yep they have met a few times threatened to breakaway one year claiming vote system was unfair. Read this earlier this season about an Irish and two Welsh sides tried to join the NWCFL, however Uefa rules wont allow it but the Isle Of Mann could join it.

http://www.nwcfl.com/news/1445/15/The-United-Kingdom-Of-The-North-West-Counties-League.htm

As much as I want the best for Celtic it goes against my traditionalist leanings, I believe that clubs should make the best of what they have got and go with it. If it did happen Celtic would rapidly become one of the richest clubs in the world though, the global support base and merchandising potential would be off the scle when they were in the Premiership.

As much as I want the best for Celtic it goes against my traditionalist leanings, I believe that clubs should make the best of what they have got and go with it. If it did happen Celtic would rapidly become one of the richest clubs in the world though, the global support base and merchandising potential would be off the scle when they were in the Premiership.

Not a good day today lees, fair play Killie their keeper was astounding at times and they gave as good as they got so well done.

On the Old Firm for England question, it always amuses me when people say they would never compete. Regardless of Rangers current predicament, if they were financially viable as Celtic are and had access to the money Sky throws at the premier league they would both be up there with their global appeal. It's a no brainer that being in the premier league with capacities of 55,000 plus rabid fans every week and the worldwide merchandising opportunities that go with it would financially allow them to compete in signing the best players available because that's where the best players want to play.

In principle I don't really have a problem with Scottish teams joining the 'English' league. Saying that, I hate the Old Firm and all the :censored: that goes with it. And, if Scottish clubs do want to join the English league, they should have to start from the very bottom, like any English club would.

And, if Scottish clubs do want to join the English league, they should have to start from the very bottom, like any English club would.

That's my concern, how that would be dealt with. I don't see it on the same parallel as the MK :censored:heads situation though, as it would still be recognisably the same club with the same ground and fanbase, and woudn't be stealing anyone else's identity or location. If it was about re-aligning things between the Fa and SFA then there could be other options (SFA in a none-Premiership League Cup?) but then the old fears about the Associations losing their independance would rear their heads again

I would let all the Scottish clubs join. Would be interesting to see how they do.

I think Celtic and Rangers would have PL potential. Rest of SPL would likely struggle in Championship, but you'd think Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen may have a chance.

I would let all the Scottish clubs join. Would be interesting to see how they do.

I think Celtic and Rangers would have PL potential. Rest of SPL would likely struggle in Championship, but you'd think Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen may have a chance.

A few years ago, maybe, right now no. MON's Celtic team that made the Euro watsit final would have managed mid table Premiership, despite not having the Sky money that covers most Premiership wages. The Celtic team now wouldn't set the Championship alight from the word go, but they could build quicjly enough with the resources they would have

I was at wembley when the scots called our troops.... feck em ,,, let em rot.

I think the football league pyramid needs a re-think anyway. Maybe 5 leagues with 18 in prem n 20 in the other 4. Would improve all the competitions, reduce congestion and slightly improve attendances whilst making football more affordable. It would also enhance the fl brand as there would be 98 clubs rather than the 92. Maybe then bring the old firm in but they start at the bottom!

Saying that, I hate the Old Firm and all the :censored: that goes with it. And, if Scottish clubs do want to join the English league, they should have to start from the very bottom, like any English club would.

Not entirely true. Apparently if Portsmouth fold any new club will be placed in Conference South due to concerns about how clubs any further down the pyramid would cope with crowds. Would not be impressed as my local club is very keen to be placed back in CS having been moved North this season - and having had 4 consecutive away games involving cumulative travel of c.1900 miles in the last fortnight.

the global support base and merchandising potential would be off the scle when they were in the Premiership.

How long would it take them to get there though? Even with their current team I'm not sure they'd walk the Championship. If they start in League 1, they'd lose a lot of their decent players and the chance of playing in Europe for a few seasons.

I think the football league pyramid needs a re-think anyway. Maybe 5 leagues with 18 in prem n 20 in the other 4. Would improve all the competitions, reduce congestion and slightly improve attendances whilst making football more affordable. It would also enhance the fl brand as there would be 98 clubs rather than the 92. Maybe then bring the old firm in but they start at the bottom!

How about making a northern and southern league out of Leagues 1 and 2? Maybe have some kind of playoff/mini league at the end to decide who goes to the Championship.

Edited by bossrocks

Been saying for ages that if they are allowed to join the English league they should start in, at most, league two. Primarily because in crowd sizes and opposition, thats about what the same as they face every week. They don't deserve to start in the prem, so I'm happy that this seems to be being realised.

The only way they could start in this league next season is if Portsmouth go bust in the summer, I would love Celtic in this division though. It would a huge payday for every lower league team, TV money would increase in the football league with global interest aplenty. And say for example our match is shown across the world there is a chance we may gain one or two overseas fans.

Get it done I say but I still maintain it won't as there is too much for Celtic and Scotland to lose.

Dave who drank with us after Hartlepool in the league suggest a simliar idea. Personally thats where the trouble starts when league get reduced.