It was a half-decent performance. Everybody put in a shift but nobody played a blinder. A couple of minutes before they scored Kuqi hit a screamer just wide which most of us thought was going in. Taylor had a first half effort from outside the box that left the post wobbling for some time afterwards.

We certainly didn't deserve to lose the game - a draw would have been a fair result.

I also don't think fitness was the issue today. With the exception of Diallo (who is the slowest full back ever) nobody seemed particularly laboured towards the end of the game and for me their goal came out of nothing. A scorcher of a shot from outside the box. Unfortunately just one of those things. But after that was piled on a bit of pressure in injury time. The legs weren't gone. We made them work to hold on to their lead and Jeff Hughes (their number 11) was superb in the air giving us no scraps at all.

It was, however, a game that summed up the season for me. We had our fair share of the ball, we knocked it round nicely at times but we didn't create those clear cut openings that better teams do. We're not fast enough or incisive enough in and around the box. If we do get a cross in we don't have three players or more waiting to get on the end of it. If it's cleared we don't have a midfielder 20 yards out to send it back in to the top corner.

All said and done we're as good as Notts County are in most areas of the pitch - and they are supposedly genuine play-off contenders. There's just something about our play in the final third that's, well, slow and boring.

Somebody mentioned after the game that we missed Wesolowski. Not being funny but we're always missing somebody. Today, like most of the season, was about how sharp we are up front. Wingers, central strikers, somebody in the hole, midfielders joining the attack etc. It's slow. It's not cutting edge. Something has got to change.

Interesting that both Reid and Marsh-Brown weren't on the bench. The latter in particular could have made an impact today. Morais coming on was good to see, but I didn't really see it as a game changing substitution. Wonder if Marsh-Brown's midnight tweet offended the management?

Views on the players as follows:

Bouzanis - kept goal well, made a couple of really good saves. Poor distribtuion from a couple of poor back passes. Overall did the job well. Prefer him to Brill.

Lee - not his best game, but a decent shift all the same. Simpson was supposedly our right sided midfielder but spent a lot of time drifting infield. This put a little more onus on Lee to get forward but he was often unsupported.

Diallo - is he a centre back really? Often seemed to be stood next to M'Voto. He is the slowest full back I've ever seen. If there is pace waiting to return after the layoff it needs to be seen before the end of the season. As it stands, there is no way this guy is the solution to our left back problem.

M'Voto - decent performance for me. Wish he'd work on his distribution but he was good today.

Brown - a couple of back passes that made life more awkward than needed for the keeper, but Reece Brown read the game well and looked in control at the back.

Furman - great to see him back. Got stuck in and did make the midfield look better.

Adeyemi - more involved. Got forwards a little more and seemed to benefit from Furman being alongside him.

Taylor - occasional bursts of energy, one rasping shot and a couple of :censored:e shots. Appeared to be playing narrower down the left side in the same way Simpson seemed to be narrower on the right.

Simpson - picked up a joke of a booking for a clash of heads. Drifted central a lot leaving space on the right. When Morais came on he resumed his partnership up top with Kuqi and while there were some nice touches and a half decent effort just wide it was also noticeable how he slows our play up. This can work to our advantage if it gets more players forwards. But it doesn't.

Tounkara - Didn't do enough for me today. Some nice touches but no running at people, no scaring defenders with size and pace.

Kuqi - A couple of decent efforts on goal that deserved more. Usual workrate all over the pitch. I don't think he's the problem up top. It's what goes on behind him.

If you knew nothing about League One and attended that game today, you wouldn't have drawn the conclusion that Notts County were the play-off contenders and Latics still need points to avoid the drop. The lads worked hard and didn't deserve to lose the game. Indeed, it could easily have been 3 points if one or two things had gone our way.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our league the only forwards who have scored more goals than Kuqi and cost nothing to buy are Beavon at Wycombe and Williams at Yeovil (both of whom have never got north of Birmingham in their careers). Williams has been in this league since 2007 had never scored more than 8 goals in a season prior to this one- not exactly prolific. Every other person who has scored more has cost money, e.g. Ched Evans who cost Sheffield United £3million or is a midfielder e.g. Johnnie Jackson at Charlton. But no there are non league bargains all over the place and that Wes Wilkinson was a cracking player.

So you wouldn't even bother looking at this lad ?

http://www.stockportcounty.com/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10419~60183,00.html

Edited by BP1960

For those that went how did the Kuqi, Tounkara partnership work?

Just for me and looking at the 2 players I would play one or the other not the 2 together as I think they are possibly abit too similar.

tounkara coudnt put a pass together an kuqi kept goin wide leaving no :censored: in the centre,dont get me wrong we played some good stuff today and county was there for the taking but same old :censored: not putting the ball in the back of the net,the ref was a bit of a arsehole today which didnt help matters today,but no worries had a top piss up in notts today happydays :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

How much did we pay for our current squad. I can tell you £70k- £50k for Furman and £20k for Cisak. We don't need to hunt non-league for the 1 gem in 10 there is there (apparently). You can get bargains in the pro league or in the leagues of Europe, players who are much less of a gamble than those who are playing in non-league.

Never mind your excellent analysis of the transfer market. What we need, doctor, is your expert analysis of the fitness situation. WTF is going on with us? I'm pretty sure that oppo managers all over the league are saying, "Keep it XI v XI and watch us make an opening late on." What gives, doctor?

Never mind your excellent analysis of the transfer market. What we need, doctor, is your expert analysis of the fitness situation. WTF is going on with us? I'm pretty sure that oppo managers all over the league are saying, "Keep it XI v XI and watch us make an opening late on." What gives, doctor?

In some other games I'd agree, we look spent after an hour.

Yesterday we didn't. We were matching them fitness wise for the full game. It was just one of those things.

So you wouldn't even bother looking at this lad ?

http://www.stockportcounty.com/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10419~60183,00.html

Scott Spencer has one of if not the most impressive games to goals ratio this season outside of the league (31 apps 27 goals)

Watching Him yesterday after being unable to make our game he was imense albeit against Bishops stortford scoring his hat trick and playing a part in one of their other goals.

Hyde were really entertaining yesterday winning 5-0 even with Adam Griffin and Danny Boshell both playing. :shock:

Edited by KYLEOAFC

I dont watch many games but I attended today and thought the majority of the team looked knackered after 70minutes.

Would also say we looked the better team, didnt deserve to lose but certainly didnt deserve to win, fitness and finishing is what we need to work on, simples.

Oh, and Kieran Lee is wasted, only player who seemed to make any darting runs and got ignored for the most of them.

I don't think they were tired. Morais was fouled, they played on and exploited the space, ref got in the way, but ultimately it was a superb strike - a moment of class, like Taylor's effort nearly was - that seperated the teams in a close match. I work with a Notts fan and he was sat in the Kop. He didn't think we tired. He also said Taylor's effort was going in all the way until it just slightly swerved at the last moment. Furman was immense, finally someone to put a foot on the ball and play it to feet. We just didn't have that extra gear to take control of the game like we did in the opening ten min

Its probably a combination of numerous factors.

1.) Dickov doesn't use his bench- football is virtually a 14 man game these days, we don't always use our available bench. Dickov seems very unwilling to use his bench if we are performing relatively well (i.e. drawing away from home at a play-off contender).

2.) Could be some issues with training but as I don't watch our training sessions I'm not so sure. Football games regularly last for close to 100 minutes but if we don't factor that into the training we might struggle to finish games off properly.

3.) Could be a concentration issue- people loose concentration when they are tired but there are ways to train for it. That's not really a physical fitness issue more a mental one.

4.) Fixture backlog, playing weekend, tuesday for 5 or 6 consecutive weeks is going make things difficult- as training when physically tired increases the risk of injuries.

5.) While the above might make a bit of difference, if the ref doesn't give a foul because it wasn't intentional and the opposition score from the illegal change of possession then you can train perfectly but it wouldn't matter.

I was really enjoying having a good laugh at the City fans on GMR after the game yesterday - sack Mancini, he hasn't got a clue about tactics, Balotelli should be sacked, that was the worst City performance i've ever seen, etc etc etc etc.

Then they had a Latics fan on.

"Dickov and Taggart have been in charge for what,3, 4 years now? And they're showing no signs of improvement. Corney's got to get rid and put Gannon in charge."

I know people say everyone's entitled to an opinion,but if you can't get basic facts right then no, your opinion is completely invalid.

I was really enjoying having a good laugh at the City fans on GMR after the game yesterday - sack Mancini, he hasn't got a clue about tactics, Balotelli should be sacked, that was the worst City performance i've ever seen, etc etc etc etc.

I recall a more realistic City fan on the radio a few months ago after they beat Utd 6-1.

He said "When I cast my mind back to 1999 a recall a visit to Edgeley Park. Tiny open away end. Pissing down with rain. Half time. 3-0 down to Stockport".

There's a football fan who'd earned his moment.

Then they had a Latics fan on.

"Dickov and Taggart have been in charge for what,3, 4 years now? And they're showing no signs of improvement. Corney's got to get rid and put Gannon in charge."

I know people say everyone's entitled to an opinion,but if you can't get basic facts right then no, your opinion is completely invalid.

There will be several ancient threads where I banged the drum for Gannon before Dickov was appointed. A manager who had improved County's league position for four years in a row. One who also relies on youth and takes no :censored:. Just what Latics needed post-Penney. He even did half decent work in short spells with Motherwell and Peterborough, although he didn't save the latter from relegation.

But in addition to that relegation Gannon also has major fallouts with the board at Motherwell and anybody who's ever been within 10 miles of Vale Park on his CV. A couple of weeks ago his took his County team to the might Alfreton midweek. From memory Alfreton declared at 7-1.

It isn't the time to be getting rid of Dickov. It certainly isn't the time to be getting Gannon in. I also doubt very much Gannon would give us the slightest consideration at the moment. Stabilising his beloved Stockport will be top of his agenda. At the moment relegation for a third successive season is a real possibility.

Edited by opinions4u

Dickov and Taggart may have their faults, but reality check here.

1) What manager could Oldham Athletic realistically attract who could do a better job than Dickov on the same budget, who would be available at the moment without costing compensation?

2) Look at the most successful period in Oldham Athletics history, and arguably the two most successful clubs in the Premier League since its inception, Manchester United and Arsenal. What do they have in common? Keeping faith in the manager, even if they dropped some clangers.

3) Where the hell has the hire and fire policy gotten the club over the past 8 years or so?

Dickov and Taggart may have their faults, but reality check here.

1) What manager could Oldham Athletic realistically attract who could do a better job than Dickov on the same budget, who would be available at the moment without costing compensation?

2) Look at the most successful period in Oldham Athletics history, and arguably the two most successful clubs in the Premier League since its inception, Manchester United and Arsenal. What do they have in common? Keeping faith in the manager, even if they dropped some clangers.

3) Where the hell has the hire and fire policy gotten the club over the past 8 years or so?

This is bang on the money. You only have to look at 'big clubs' like Luton and Grimsby that chopped and changed and it led to a downward spiral in the team's fortunes. Weak chairmen sack a manager to get onside with moaning fans. The new boss hates the players, they are paid off and more money is spent bringing new ones in, they are often journeymen who played under said boss at former clubs and are expensive but the boss convinces the chairman to give them deals, the team then 'needs time to gel', results don't come, he is fired - and the cycle repeats.

Anyone moaning about Latics and boring L1 every season needs to take a hard look at those clubs. Yes we all want to see progression and it's frustrating, but realistically we are a L2 club in terms of budget and attendances. I noticed someone reading into Corney's comments, suggesting he was pointing out that the budget is higher than we think - but Dickov has clearly gone on record revealing the loan signings we have made this season have been paid for - at least in a large part - by the parent clubs.

Despite those issues, we are likely to avoid relegation, or even a relegation battle - an achievement in itself.

Throw into the mixer our terrible luck with injuries this season - a mid-table or top-half finish would be extremely impressive. Many teams in our league, and those above us, would have crumbled with so many injuries and having to chop and change. But PD didn't moan - he kept the team together and feeling positive. And until a month or so ago, the play-offs were still a possibility.

We also had a two good cup runs - another improvement on recent years.

Because of his reputation of a player, he's good at getting decent signings. He's still learning manager-wise, but in keeping us in the division he has done a good job so far. This 'immune to criticism' talk is a really poor way to try and get people criticising him. What do they want? Us to be in a relegation battle so we can?

the job he is doing here is also being noticed at other levels

didnt Corney say they have refused an approach from Watford not long ago?

people within the game will be aware of the job he is doing on a limited budget and that is why we will be able to sign a certain standard of players from city, utd etc

if he was doing a terrible job we wouldnt even be getting a look at those clubs players, even if he is a legend at one of them

Scott Spencer has one of if not the most impressive games to goals ratio this season outside of the league (31 apps 27 goals)

Watching Him yesterday after being unable to make our game he was imense albeit against Bishops stortford scoring his hat trick and playing a part in one of their other goals.

Hyde were really entertaining yesterday winning 5-0 even with Adam Griffin and Danny Boshell both playing. :shock:

\There's no "albeit" about it. Since BS changed their manager they have been in the top three of the form table in BS North. Few players missing yesterday and the fifth 400m mile round trip in the last six games taking its toll.

This is bang on the money. You only have to look at 'big clubs' like Luton and Grimsby that chopped and changed and it led to a downward spiral in the team's fortunes. Weak chairmen sack a manager to get onside with moaning fans. The new boss hates the players, they are paid off and more money is spent bringing new ones in, they are often journeymen who played under said boss at former clubs and are expensive but the boss convinces the chairman to give them deals, the team then 'needs time to gel', results don't come, he is fired - and the cycle repeats.

Anyone moaning about Latics and boring L1 every season needs to take a hard look at those clubs. Yes we all want to see progression and it's frustrating, but realistically we are a L2 club in terms of budget and attendances. I noticed someone reading into Corney's comments, suggesting he was pointing out that the budget is higher than we think - but Dickov has clearly gone on record revealing the loan signings we have made this season have been paid for - at least in a large part - by the parent clubs.

Despite those issues, we are likely to avoid relegation, or even a relegation battle - an achievement in itself.

Throw into the mixer our terrible luck with injuries this season - a mid-table or top-half finish would be extremely impressive. Many teams in our league, and those above us, would have crumbled with so many injuries and having to chop and change. But PD didn't moan - he kept the team together and feeling positive. And until a month or so ago, the play-offs were still a possibility.

We also had a two good cup runs - another improvement on recent years.

Because of his reputation of a player, he's good at getting decent signings. He's still learning manager-wise, but in keeping us in the division he has done a good job so far. This 'immune to criticism' talk is a really poor way to try and get people criticising him. What do they want? Us to be in a relegation battle so we can?

^^^ THIS!!

I recall a more realistic City fan on the radio a few months ago after they beat Utd 6-1.

He said "When I cast my mind back to 1999 a recall a visit to Edgeley Park. Tiny open away end. Pissing down with rain. Half time. 3-0 down to Stockport".

There's a football fan who'd earned his moment.

Well, quite. Stockport were a bit of a bogey side for City for a while. I remember them winning 2-1 in 2002, mainly cos we were in a pub quiz in the Albert near Maine Road that night and my mate (who genuinely didn't know Stockport were playing City that night) thought it'd be funny to put 'Carlton Palmer's First XI' (Carlton Palmer being Stockport's manager at the time) as our team name. He was crapping himself when the score came through, especially when i amended it to 'Carlton Palmer's First XI :censored: On The City', knowing full well that i wouldn't be the one who got beaten up. It was a good night.

You're definitely wrong........ Danny Boshell plays for Guiseley.