Pre season friendlies

With the finances as they are surely we should try and fill BP with a big game or 2 instead of a crappy trip to somewhere like Barrow !

I like the assumption that the club don't try and play them both in pre-season. I'm sure there are no other clubs who will want to play the top two sides in the country.

It may also be in the club's interests to have a fixture at Barrow rather than being humped by City's reserves.

Someone from League 2, someone from the Championship, preferably local sides and the usual mix and match of non-league- Droylesden, Staylvegas, Mossley. We won't get `City and we won't get United as they will be spending 3 weeks in the states as is now traditional and will probably both have a friendly tournament in the UK again sponsored by a big company, for which we would already know if we got an invite. If Lee and Taylor go to someone outside our league (thinking about it can see Taylor possibly going to a Scottish team that will play in Europe) we might play them. We'll have a decent chance of getting a London based side as due to the Olympics I can see no London side being able to play pre-season friendlies at home (aside from Brentford and Barnet)

We'll have a decent chance of getting a London based side as due to the Olympics I can see no London side being able to play pre-season friendlies at home (aside from Brentford and Barnet)

I can't see 500 Latics fans going to QPR making or breaking the Olympic network. Most routes will, I believe, have less traffic, whilst a few will be completely buggered at narrowly defined times

I can't see 500 Latics fans going to QPR making or breaking the Olympic network. Most routes will, I believe, have less traffic, whilst a few will be completely buggered at narrowly defined times

Its not the traffic I was all that bothered about- the IOC won't like it and as part of the conditions of the Olympics I can see Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, QPR, Tottenham all being barred from hosting football during the Olympics. Leyton Orient is fairly obvious, I think the cordon round the stadium might hit their ground, especially the advertising one. Dagenham is not far away either. Traffic is not going to be the problem its the other stuff.

Personally i doubt the furthest away you will see us is maybe Barrow, Staffordside. For a club on a tight budget friendllies are based on the home side making a few bob but when you add up travel costs the club wont make a long trip if its going to hit them in a pocket. Gutted would love a nice pre season tour somewhere. Even if we did get a big team at BP, most of the top clubs send reserve or youth teams as there main squad is off selling shirts somewhere like Japan, China or the USA.

Its not the traffic I was all that bothered about- the IOC won't like it and as part of the conditions of the Olympics I can see Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, QPR, Tottenham all being barred from hosting football during the Olympics. Leyton Orient is fairly obvious, I think the cordon round the stadium might hit their ground, especially the advertising one. Dagenham is not far away either. Traffic is not going to be the problem its the other stuff.

Orient, Millwall and West Ham would be out, if it was Dagenham I would puke, I honestly wouldn't see an issue with any other London club even at the peak of Olympic mania. Why any of them would want to play us home or away is more of a problem. Anyway, if we get Blackburn it's a good 'un so no point getting too excited...

And then when we have no money for signings or wages, or overnight stays, etc.... Guess what?

Oooh, a new lovely juicy stick to beat the club with. You knows it.

Would be lovely, but not a good use of our very limited funds.

Personally i doubt the furthest away you will see us is maybe Barrow, Staffordside. For a club on a tight budget friendllies are based on the home side making a few bob but when you add up travel costs the club wont make a long trip if its going to hit them in a pocket.

An ideal opportunity to combine a game against Burton Albion with a good pub crawl/brewery tour/National Brewery Centre tour.

More than likely.

Staly Vegas (a)

Rhyl (a)

Halifax (a)

Barnsley (h)

Wigan (h)

:censored:ing Yawn.

It however should be:

Pre-season two-game tour of either Belgium or Holland.

Newcastle United (h)

Everton (h)

You missed Mossley and Ashton Utd in that

More than likely.

Staly Vegas (a)

Rhyl (a)

Halifax (a)

Barnsley (h)

Wigan (h)

:censored:ing Yawn.

It however should be:

Pre-season two-game tour of either Belgium or Holland.

Newcastle United (h)

Everton (h)

Gone are the days when established premier league sides play lower league teams unless there is either an agreement from a player or other arrangement. (Barnet allow Arsenal to use underhill as a reserve ground so get a pre season). Everton played Bury last year and put the kids out. I'd personally rather watch us aginst Barnsley or a newly promoted prem side watching a first team.

With the finances as they are surely we should try and fill BP with a big game or 2 instead of a crappy trip to somewhere like Barrow !

The usual trend of losing at Barrow will I assume continue - we don't want to spoil a good first half to the season, maybe we should play them in a January friendly as well. :wink:

Someone from League 2, someone from the Championship, preferably local sides and the usual mix and match of non-league- Droylesden, Staylvegas, Mossley. We won't get `City and we won't get United as they will be spending 3 weeks in the states as is now traditional and will probably both have a friendly tournament in the UK again sponsored by a big company, for which we would already know if we got an invite. If Lee and Taylor go to someone outside our league (thinking about it can see Taylor possibly going to a Scottish team that will play in Europe) we might play them. We'll have a decent chance of getting a London based side as due to the Olympics I can see no London side being able to play pre-season friendlies at home (aside from Brentford and Barnet)

Now here's an idea that would attract a lot of publliciy - a pre season friendly against the Great Britain Olympic football team, get on to Stuart Pearce now Mr Joy before someone beats you to it.

Now here's an idea that would attract a lot of publliciy - a pre season friendly against the Great Britain Olympic football team, get on to Stuart Pearce now Mr Joy before someone beats you to it.

There playing one at the Riverside- probably against Brazil.

Doesn't stop them playing another though and their first game is in Manchester.