Mixed Football supporting households

Following on from the "who do you want to win the Derby" thread me and my mate were having this discussion the other day whose a Bradford City fan, they say you should support either your local side or the same side as one of your parents.I could easilly of been a City fan as my Mums side of the family are City fans. My housemate had a choice between Bradford City, West Ham and Leeds (he lives there) like me despite pulling the short straw in terms of success we both don't have any regrets. Question is did anyone have another option to being a Latics fan or did they grow up in a fully Latics suporting household?

I was actually the black sheep.

Being a Manchester lad, my 'home town team' is probably City or United. My mums side of the family are all reds, dad's side a mixture of hardcore reds (as in ones who actually do bother to go to the games) and hardcore blues, but Latics were the closest club to where I lived, and at the time I chose to support them. Safe to say my grandad who was a die hard red wasn't happy.

Despite metaphorically speaking 'falling out with Latics', I don't regret for a minute choosing not to support City or United.

When my parents moved to Oldham in 1969 to take the Junction on Shaw Road, we were a firmly United supporting family (my father had been a plod in Manchester).

I started going to Latics on my own after my father took me to the match against Swansea Town which we lost 0-1 to go second bottom of Div. 4.

By 1970 I was dragging my entire close family over Oldham edge on a regular basis and eventually converted the lot of them!

When you reckon that I had been to O.T. fairly regularly to watch the likes of Law ,Charlton and Best and seen them win the European cup in '68 then in hindsight it seems unlikely, but my father became a season ticket holder at latics a few years later for the rest of his life.

I reckon it was the best decision I ever made to start supporting t'latics, even though I suffered a lot of derision at school (in Ashton) from my peers (especially the time we lost 7-0 away at Peterborough) My son who goes to school in Preston has had the same stick from PNE fans but must have the same masochistic streak his old man has.

My parents didn't really like football. I loved it but wasn't pointed in any direction.

I used to watch Stockport a fair bit on Friday nights and City or United on a Saturday. As I got into my teens I got more adventurous. The 400 bus went from the Tatton Cinema near where I lived to Oldham, Rochdale, Bury and Bolton for just 10p. So I got to BP a fair bit as well as further afield.

Married an Oldham lass and moved to the area. Encouraged step-son to go to Latics on his own when I couldn't afford to go, which got the Latics bug into the house.

When o4u Jr was born Mrs o4u left the 30 minute old babe in my care in the delivery room while she went for a shower. I walked to the window that looked out over Boundary Park and held him up to see it.

Poor little sod was cursed from that moment on!

My grandad, uncles and dad were all Latics fans and I starting going with them as a kid. Never, ever considered anything else.

People are often surprised I support Latics since I moved up to the north east when I was ten years old but, at that age, I was football and Latics obsessed and was never going to switch allegiance.

my mums side are City fans and they managed to brain wash my brother, but not me. At first I went against the grain and supported United ( :peepwall: ) but now I'm with my Dad in following Latics (and anyone that plays City, just to wind up the rest of the family)

Dad was a city fan, but my uncle started taking me to BP when I was a nipper - helped that we could see the floodlights from our house. Soon converted the old man and he's been a ST holder ever since.

Our family followed the not-uncommon Merseyside template of eldest supporting Liverpool, middle kid supporting Everton to spite the eldest, youngest supporting someone totally random to spite the pair of them. With hindsight if i wanted to piss them both off i should have supported Stoke. Everyone hates Stoke.

Was born equidistantly between Crystal Palace and Millwall.

My Dad is from Oldham and a Latics fan.

Easy decision to make - Palace and Millwall fans are, in general, humourless simpletons.

My Mum and Dad were both from Hull and Dad was a real Hull City supporter. They moved to Oldham during the war (I won't bore you with the details) and then I arrived.

As I was born, like many others, just across the road from BP and was due mid September, Dad hoped and prayed that I wouldn't pop out on a Saturday afternoon.

Dad had become a real Latics nut and took me to my first game a month before my 6th birthday. I was hooked and have never wavered from supporting my home town team, even though I left the town in 1966.

I think my sig says it all.

One brother Wolves, another Derby and my dad kInd of followed Coventry. Friends mostly Villa or Liverpool as we were growing up early 80s.

I picked a team from somewhere I didn't know, followed their scores on TV and in the paper and then started attending matches when I could...admittedly all away matches against midland teams. As soon as I could afford, I scoured train and bus timetables to venture further afield and then one day finally got to Mumps and made that walk to Boundary Park.

As soon as I could drive, every other Saturday found me driving 200+ miles up and down the M6.

People still ask me why even though I've now been an Oldham fan for 25 years this year! I still can't name any road in Oldham and never been in the town centre shopping but I have two daughters who only wear Oldham shirts, each have a stuffed Chaddy and boo whenever Villa, Man Utd or Birmingham appear on TV!

I was lucky enough to be born at Boundary Park Hospital but both my sproggs were born in Manchester,

Moved back to Oldham just as my daughter was old enough to appreciate the "Golden Era"

Son was born in born in St. Marys on a Saturday afternoon when City were playing at home and lost to another local team

Guess who (his D.O.B 19th December 1987)

Needless to say he supports the Latics

Dad is a converted Cardiff fan- he's from the Cardiff side of the valleys.

My brother doesn't really like football- but put a gun to his head he's a City fan, strangely him and his Missus' first dance was Blue Moon, I think she liked the song before she found out the City link, she's from Somerset.

My Mum doesn't care for football.

When your Dad goes regularly to Oldham and the manager knows him, and you start going in 88, its not that hard a choice to be an Oldham fan.

My Grandad was a massive Latics fan and vowed to take me to a game ,however he died in october 1967 when I was a mere 4years old and was unable to take me. My mum forced my dad who was a devout red until then to take me to the next home game wich im told was a rare 3-0 win v crew in what was to be a bad season as we were relegated that season.

That was it the boy was hooked and badgered his father to take him every week, dad also started to be less and less a red. As time passed the family was exiled to Blackpool in 1973 but dad still had to make sure we went home for every game . Mum and dad were to get divorced and dad returned to Oldham leaving me aged 11 in pool, under peer preasure at school and being unable to get to BP on my own I started to watch the seasiders but it wasnt the same. When I reached thirteen i took a paper round and found out if i saved my wages for two weeks i could afford to catch the train to werneth via victoria and get in to the game wich i did for 5 years till i passed my driving license and have attended on a regular basis work allowing about 15/18 home games and 6 or so away games a season , all three of my now grown up kids follow Le bleu and I am fighting to keep my grandson whos father is a Blackpool fan interested in Chaddy oldham as he calls us .

One brother Wolves, another Derby and my dad kInd of followed Coventry. Friends mostly Villa or Liverpool as we were growing up early 80s.

I picked a team from somewhere I didn't know, followed their scores on TV and in the paper and then started attending matches when I could...admittedly all away matches against midland teams. As soon as I could afford, I scoured train and bus timetables to venture further afield and then one day finally got to Mumps and made that walk to Boundary Park.

As soon as I could drive, every other Saturday found me driving 200+ miles up and down the M6.

People still ask me why even though I've now been an Oldham fan for 25 years this year! I still can't name any road in Oldham and never been in the town centre shopping but I have two daughters who only wear Oldham shirts, each have a stuffed Chaddy and boo whenever Villa, Man Utd or Birmingham appear on TV!

I like that, very different story to the norm. Great you stuck at it and travel all that distance so often with no real affiliation to the town. Good on you.

As for me, I had no choice, dads a tic, bros a tic, and now my lil bros got the curse!

I think me and my brother found our own way. My Dad was an Oldham fan in the sense that he'd always want them to do well. However, his building partner, who was Cockney and moved to Oldham with the accent, had some influence on him. My Uncle was also a die-hard Latics fan until Sheffield Wednesday lobbed bricks down Sheepfoot Lane and he never attended another game.

Any household I enter now, though, will be strictly Latics fans or nowt else. I'm only 22 but I'm experimenting with my 4-year old niece on how best to force a club on to a kidder.